Clerk job hunting thread 2012/2013

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lolwat

Re: Clerk job hunting thread 2012/2013

Postby lolwat » Sat May 11, 2013 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else still looking? Starting to panic. I'm a T14 grad, district court clerk, no prior SA.

Yeah. I have (connected) friends looking into things for me, but if those aren't fruitful I'm going to be really panicking.

You probably have better creds than me, too. Bah.

insideman

Postby insideman » Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 am

anything new?

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed May 29, 2013 10:56 am

Nope, still got nothing as of today. :)

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Wed May 29, 2013 11:34 am

Good to know I am not the only one out there. I wasn't expecting a flood of job offers, but didn't think the job hunting process would be this bad, especially since former clerks had no problems securing jobs. What makes the situation worse is the fact that I turned down the offer from my judge to extend for two more years.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Wed May 29, 2013 11:48 am

You're all scaring me, bros. Is no 2L SA really the mark of death even for ArtIII clerks?

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed May 29, 2013 12:07 pm

Probably depends on the clerkship you have. I can't imagine any COA clerk having this much difficulty, at least.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 12:13 pm

First offer! Satellite office of a national firm in my "popular" home market (think like Austin or Denver). I'm clerking as an alum but didn't come here from a firm (so nowhere to return after the clerkship).

I'm this guy. I took the offer and canceled a handful of remaining interviews. I had to cut the clerkship a bit short because the firm would only hold the spot until October (I was originally doing a two year clerkship scheduled to go past that), but my judge was fine with it.

For those of you who are still looking -- don't use me as a basis for comparison. I have a pretty unique (yes, yes, no degrees of unique) resume, including goods stints with a V20 and nonfederal-but-high-end government. I'm looking forward to making more than I did when I was 25 for the first time in several years, though I'm also starting to dread the back-to-biglaw hours. Oh well, I'll enjoy the next several months.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 12:44 pm

lolwat wrote:I can't imagine any COA clerk having this much difficulty, at least.

Can any current COA clerks speak to this issue? I'll be looking in a few months and am curious what the climate is like.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed May 29, 2013 2:15 pm

nevdash wrote:You're all scaring me, bros. Is no 2L SA really the mark of death even for ArtIII clerks?

No. My friend who did a (random) SSC just got a big law offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:I can't imagine any COA clerk having this much difficulty, at least.

Can any current COA clerks speak to this issue? I'll be looking in a few months and am curious what the climate is like.

Needless to say, depends on how broadly you're hunting. It's not as simple as, "Contact my top five firms and they'll make room for me." COA clerks I know have contacted multiple firms and been told that they simply aren't hiring. With that being said, the clerk market remains pretty active, and for those who apply broadly, even in competitive markets (e.g., DC), I've heard of people getting multiple interviews and landing a good offer. And not 2d/DC/9th clerks, the people I've been talking to are from the "flyover" circuits.

insideman

Postby insideman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Somewhat discouraged at this point.

My deal: off plan clerkship ending in December in midatlantic DCt. 2+ years at a boutique NYC firm. Summered (and offered) at an AmLaw 200. Looking in DC specifically. Doing a bunch of phone calls, emails etc. Everyone says "oh you look great, im sure you'll find something, but we don't have openings." I don't think I'd have a huge problem finding something locally, just not my top choice for various reasons.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:59 am

insideman wrote:Somewhat discouraged at this point.

My deal: off plan clerkship ending in December in midatlantic DCt. 2+ years at a boutique NYC firm. Summered (and offered) at an AmLaw 200. Looking in DC specifically. Doing a bunch of phone calls, emails etc. Everyone says "oh you look great, im sure you'll find something, but we don't have openings." I don't think I'd have a huge problem finding something locally, just not my top choice for various reasons.

It is way too early for you. You can still apply, but most firms won't be interested in you until late summer/early fall. Given your experience, you would be considered a lateral hire, and those are positions that are filled when an opening arises.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone have any luck in DC?

I posted earlier in this thread back in March. I applied to DC and NYC firms (sent out between 35-45 applications total), received a few interviews at firms in each city.

I had much better luck in NYC than in DC. My one DC offer was at my top choice firm, however, and I accepted it.

If you have firm-specific questions I'm happy to answer them so long as I don't risk outing myself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I posted earlier in this thread back in March. I applied to DC and NYC firms (sent out between 35-45 applications total), received a few interviews at firms in each city.

I had much better luck in NYC than in DC. My one DC offer was at my top choice firm, however, and I accepted it.

If you have firm-specific questions I'm happy to answer them so long as I don't risk outing myself.

I have a more general question: how did you go about the bonus talk? Did you find out about pre-interview through written materials (NALP, website), during interviews, post-interview/pre-offer, with offer, after acceptance, still don't know?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have a more general question: how did you go about the bonus talk? Did you find out about pre-interview through written materials (NALP, website), during interviews, post-interview/pre-offer, with offer, after acceptance, still don't know?

I didn't discuss salary or bonus with any of the firms. All of the firms I applied to were well ranked Vault/AmLaw firms, and so I expected that most would pay market. Some of the firms mentioned specific bonus amounts on their websites, but not all did.

Specific salary and bonus figures were contained in my offer letter. I did not attempt to negotiate either amount.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Grats dude. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:08 pm

lolwat wrote:Grats dude. :D

Thanks a ton. My heart goes out to everyone still going through the process. It was an extremely stressful couple of months. Good luck to everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I didn't discuss salary or bonus with any of the firms. All of the firms I applied to were well ranked Vault/AmLaw firms, and so I expected that most would pay market. Some of the firms mentioned specific bonus amounts on their websites, but not all did.

Specific salary and bonus figures were contained in my offer letter. I did not attempt to negotiate either amount.

This is ignorance on my part. Did offer letter come only after a verbal agreement over the phone?

cim_can

Postby cim_can » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 pm

For what it's worth, here was my experience with learning about bonus offers.

1. From Firm A in the offer letter; they had mentioned during the interviews that they paid a standard bonus for that particular office, but I didn't ask about the amount.

2. During my interview with Firm B, we had talked where I should start (as a first year) but we did not talk about bonus. Since it was a large national firm, I had assumed that the bonus would be a standard $50,000. When I got the offer letter, it said nothing about bonus. I called the contact listed from recruiting, and she explained that no bonus was listed in the letter because it did not come with a bonus. Alllllllllllllrighty. She must have sensed my disappointment (I'm in a two-year clerkship), so she went back to the partner and asked him, and he sent me an e-mail offering me a bonus - it was not $50,000. I wasn't going to haggle anymore with them, that was their offer.

3. Firm C, I learned at the very start of the interview with the recruiting contact who told me where I would start if hired and that they offered the standard $50,000 bonus. It was also included in my offer letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:50 am

In my experience, there are two letters: the offer letter and the acceptance letter. The usual course proceeded in three steps. First, the hiring partner would call and make a verbal offer. After I expressed my excitement, they would say something to the effect of "I'm going to put a letter in the mail to confirm that we've made you an offer." Second, the offer letter would arrive. Third, once you call and accept the offer, a longer, more detailed letter arrives confirming that you've accepted the offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:14 pm

In my experience, there are two letters: the offer letter and the acceptance letter. The usual course proceeded in three steps. First, the hiring partner would call and make a verbal offer. After I expressed my excitement, they would say something to the effect of "I'm going to put a letter in the mail to confirm that we've made you an offer." Second, the offer letter would arrive. Third, once you call and accept the offer, a longer, more detailed letter arrives confirming that you've accepted the offer.

This isn't my experience -- both times I've been hired by a firm, it's just been a phone offer (and acceptance), followed by a single letter setting out all of the details. The most recent time I had to sign and return it; I don't remember whether I had to the first time.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm hoping the lack of updates on here mean things are working out. Clerkship ends this August and still nothing on my end. Not sure what else I can do besides scanning job board websites and applying. So much for the clerkship boost on the resume.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:39 pm

legalese_retard wrote:I'm hoping the lack of updates on here mean things are working out. Clerkship ends this August and still nothing on my end. Not sure what else I can do besides scanning job board websites and applying. So much for the clerkship boost on the resume.

Sorry to hear that, man. Are you still restricting yourself to DC, or have you broadened your search at all?

mango

Postby mango » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:35 pm

legalese_retard wrote:I'm hoping the lack of updates on here mean things are working out. Clerkship ends this August and still nothing on my end. Not sure what else I can do besides scanning job board websites and applying. So much for the clerkship boost on the resume.

I'm right there with you. I am not sure what to do at this point.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:46 pm

nevdash wrote:

Sorry to hear that, man. Are you still restricting yourself to DC, or have you broadened your search at all?

Never went for DC. I'm in Texas and that has been my focus - Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”