Clerk job hunting thread 2012/2013

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Clerk job hunting thread 2012/2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am

anyone have any luck in DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone have any luck in DC?

Sidley is not taking clerks either as second-years (meaning went to clerk straight out of law school) or midlevels. Gibson was hiring as of two months ago but not sure where they're at now.

Not sure re: Covington, Wilmer, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I have an off-plan (January start) alumni clerkship, so I have no idea as to timing etc. My clerkship is in a major east coast city (not SDNY), but I have kind of a non-traditional resume for DC. Hope I get some positive feedback.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:20 pm

God damn, I give up.

Hope you guys are having better luck.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:30 pm

lolwat wrote:God damn, I give up.

You were looking in CA, right? Sorry to hear that it's going so roughly, bro. Do you think it's just because your search is so narrow geographically?

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:10 am

nevdash wrote:

You were looking in CA, right? Sorry to hear that it's going so roughly, bro. Do you think it's just because your search is so narrow geographically?

Applied to CA, DC, NYC. Out of 100+ applications, three interviews (one in each market, interestingly), all rejected post-interview. I'm starting to run out of firms to reasonably apply to in these markets. I'm hitting up other markets - home market being my first stop - but they don't have tons of midlaw/biglaw firms and I'm honestly significantly less interested in those geographic areas that it makes it difficult to be motivated by anything other than not wanting to be unemployed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:25 am

lolwat wrote:
nevdash wrote:

Applied to CA, DC, NYC. Out of 100+ applications, three interviews (one in each market, interestingly), all rejected post-interview. I'm starting to run out of firms to reasonably apply to in these markets. I'm hitting up other markets - home market being my first stop - but they don't have tons of midlaw/biglaw firms and I'm honestly significantly less interested in those geographic areas that it makes it difficult to be motivated by anything other than not wanting to be unemployed.

What was your pre-clerkship position or offer status? Is there the possibility of returning to that firm, if you worked for a firm as a summer associate or an associate?

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:01 am

lolwat wrote:
nevdash wrote:

Maybe it's time to look beyond biglaw/midlaw into small law/gov. It's a huge shame given your strong resume, but being where you want to be is important.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:23 pm

What was your pre-clerkship position or offer status? Is there the possibility of returning to that firm, if you worked for a firm as a summer associate or an associate?

Unfortunately, I didn't work at a firm 2L or post-graduation. Basically - I don't have anywhere to return to.

Maybe it's time to look beyond biglaw/midlaw into small law/gov. It's a huge shame given your strong resume, but being where you want to be is important.

Yeah, I agree. I'm just frustrated as hell. I'm fine being geographically flexible for a lot of reasons. I'm looking way more broadly than I have been so there are more options, and I'm not totally done looking into midlaw - some of these firms are hard to find in the markets that are dominated by biglaw/elite lit boutiques.

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:50 pm

lolwat wrote:

Unfortunately, I didn't work at a firm 2L or post-graduation. Basically - I don't have anywhere to return to.

Yeah, I agree. I'm just frustrated as hell. I'm fine being geographically flexible for a lot of reasons. I'm looking way more broadly than I have been so there are more options, and I'm not totally done looking into midlaw - some of these firms are hard to find in the markets that are dominated by biglaw/elite lit boutiques.

Do you think its because of your lack of a 2L SA? What were your creds if you dong mind me asking? Sorry to hear about the troubles.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:31 am

Do you think its because of your lack of a 2L SA? What were your creds if you dong mind me asking? Sorry to hear about the troubles.

I think it's several things, but the lack of screening interviews to begin with is probably due to a lack of 2L SA and a gap year between graduation and clerkship. Feel free to PM if you'd like to know more, though I'm not sure how much help it'd be, haha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:59 pm

lolwat wrote:
nevdash wrote:

What kind of firms did you target in CA?

Hoping to go back there after my clerkship, but this thread has scared the poop out of me.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:36 am

http://texaslawyer.typepad.com/texas_lawyer_blog/2013/04/help-wanted-susman-godfrey-increases-new-associate-hires.html

Susman Godfrey is looking for new associates in all of their offices. Must have a federal clerkship to be considered. Thought I'd pass this info along for those still looking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:14 pm

First offer! Satellite office of a national firm in my "popular" home market (think like Austin or Denver). I'm clerking as an alum but didn't come here from a firm (so nowhere to return after the clerkship).

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First offer! Satellite office of a national firm in my "popular" home market (think like Austin or Denver). I'm clerking as an alum but didn't come here from a firm (so nowhere to return after the clerkship).

Grats! :)

Susman Godfrey is looking for new associates in all of their offices. Must have a federal clerkship to be considered. Thought I'd pass this info along for those still looking.

Haha. They rejected me like, last November or something. I wonder if it's worth sending them something again and being like "sup guys, I know you're still hiring :D"

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:47 pm

lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First offer! Satellite office of a national firm in my "popular" home market (think like Austin or Denver). I'm clerking as an alum but didn't come here from a firm (so nowhere to return after the clerkship).

Grats! :)

Haha. They rejected me like, last November or something. I wonder if it's worth sending them something again and being like "sup guys, I know you're still hiring :D"

Congrats x2. I also applied to Susman a few weeks ago and received a rejection letter. I think I even applied to a staff attorney position. Oh well, at least they are diligent with their decisions - wish mine wasn't such a no-brainer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Theres a nalp conference this week, so if anyone sent recent apps and hasn't heard a word, that's a possible reason why.

insideman

Postby insideman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 pm

To those that have had interviews, did they just come after a blanket email (im So and so ,a clerk, and I'm interested in your firm please call) or did they come from other ways?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 pm

insideman wrote:To those that have had interviews, did they just come after a blanket email (im So and so ,a clerk, and I'm interested in your firm please call) or did they come from other ways?

Blanket email.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:35 am

insideman wrote:To those that have had interviews, did they just come after a blanket email (im So and so ,a clerk, and I'm interested in your firm please call) or did they come from other ways?

Does that work? O.o

My interviews came from sending applications, either via recruiting contact or online application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 9:31 am

How have references been working, especially for those of you who had worked at least a year after school before clerking? Who have you used as references and at what point in the interview process have you had to provide these references?

Also, have your judges been any help in job-hunting? Surely, some judges must have connections?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 10:32 am

From my experience going through this process in the recent past (looking for a firm job in a different market than my clerkship, with no SA):

I got my judge to go to bat for me after I had some interviews lined up. I think it was a small positive for places already seriously considering me.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu May 02, 2013 3:59 pm

IIRC, my judge won't make calls, but is more than happy to give his recommendation if I ever got anyone to call him. I am unsure if this holds true for non-law-firm positions. I should ask, especially since I'm trying to get COA clerkships as well. I've definitely heard of judges using their connections (or even just their position--not as a bad thing, but as "a call from a federal judge") to help people get jobs.

As far as generally -- I'm using two professors (ones I still talk to from time to time, even though I graduated two years ago), a recent previous employer, and my judge as references. But I have never been asked to provide references, and when I have provided them anyway, they have not been called. Anyone calling my judge would have to have their call routed through the main line so I would have known about it. We did have two calls about previous clerks--one was a clerkship call from another judge, and the other was from a firm that I know asks for references--but I think both were post-interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2013 4:24 pm

I give up. What non-attorney job/career would be interested in hiring a former federal law clerk? I've tried all the big and medium sized firms in my area, and none are hiring. I tried the smaller firms and a lot of them view clerkships as nothing more than a glorified internship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Anyone else still looking? Starting to panic. I'm a T14 grad, district court clerk, no prior SA.

P.S. Foley & Lardner Chicago is looking to hire a current or recent bankruptcy clerk, in case anyone here is looking and qualified

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”