Clerk job hunting thread 2012/2013

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerk job hunting thread 2012/2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:00 am

Fellow unemployed clerks, tell me of your struggles and joys.

I've sent out three resumes so far, one interview next week, one ding, one radio silence.

Thought it would be cool for those of us in this boat to have a thread

Anonymous User

Re: Clerk job hunting thread 2012/2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 am

if i came straight through, is it better to wait for the CBX results first?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Do you mean you're currently clerking and don't have anything lined up for after, or is your clerkship finished and you're unemployed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you mean you're currently clerking and don't have anything lined up for after, or is your clerkship finished and you're unemployed?

Op here, the former

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you mean you're currently clerking and don't have anything lined up for after, or is your clerkship finished and you're unemployed?

Op here, the former

I just wondered because my understanding was that hiring doesn't really start until January, with a lot of it happening January-March-ish. So having an interview already sounds pretty good! (But I should probably start thinking about this process regardless...)

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:45 am

I started sending out some resumes (about 10-15) but I'm going to stop sending any more until January. It could just be my target markets, but nearly everyone--partners, associates, recruiting directors--has basically told me that hiring doesn't really start until then. Most biglaw websites that indicate a time frame in which they accept applications from clerks typically say "winter" or "spring" or some month that falls within that time frame (January for Keker, for example).

There are a few firms that are already looking, though. I did get one interview that I apparently bombed, and several rejection letters that I wasn't terribly surprised at getting. It kinda sucked that my first interview in over a year was with a firm that I actually really wanted to be at, and I was never really great at interviews to begin with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:13 pm

lolwat wrote:I started sending out some resumes (about 10-15) but I'm going to stop sending any more until January. It could just be my target markets, but nearly everyone--partners, associates, recruiting directors--has basically told me that hiring doesn't really start until then. Most biglaw websites that indicate a time frame in which they accept applications from clerks typically say "winter" or "spring" or some month that falls within that time frame (January for Keker, for example).

There are a few firms that are already looking, though. I did get one interview that I apparently bombed, and several rejection letters that I wasn't terribly surprised at getting. It kinda sucked that my first interview in over a year was with a firm that I actually really wanted to be at, and I was never really great at interviews to begin with.

I feel you- I had two interviews just recently, two days in a row, and of course the gig I really want was the first interview and I hadn't interviewed since I got this clerkship... I felt completely rusty!

(Non-firm jobs, for reference.)

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Did any current clerks apply for DOJ Honors? How did it go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:30 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Did any current clerks apply for DOJ Honors? How did it go?

I'm the anon immediately above... the interviews I mentioned were for DOJ Honors. I had three interviews total. Don't want to say components, but one is very competitive (like, I'm still shocked they interviewed me), and the other two are less so (plus, I had a connection in that component). Shouldn't hear anything more until the second week of November at the *earliest* (it will probably be later).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:45 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Did any current clerks apply for DOJ Honors? How did it go?

I did--have my interview next week.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:17 pm

I posted this in the Honors thread, but any clerks who were selected for Honors Program interviews at USAOs, I would really appreciate a PM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:40 pm

lolwat wrote:I started sending out some resumes (about 10-15) but I'm going to stop sending any more until January. It could just be my target markets, but nearly everyone--partners, associates, recruiting directors--has basically told me that hiring doesn't really start until then. Most biglaw websites that indicate a time frame in which they accept applications from clerks typically say "winter" or "spring" or some month that falls within that time frame (January for Keker, for example).

(OP) This is where I'm at. Have a couple feelers out (10ish resmues), one interview, but I'm going to hold off on more until Jan.

augusta1985

Postby augusta1985 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

(OP) This is where I'm at. Have a couple feelers out (10ish resmues), one interview, but I'm going to hold off on more until Jan.

OP: When is your term up? I am leaving my clerkship in May and won't start applying until next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:16 pm

augusta1985 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP: When is your term up? I am leaving my clerkship in May and won't start applying until next year.

Not till summer (July probably)

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:29 pm

From what I know, firms move relatively fast on clerk applicants early in the year, and most people make up their decisions by mid/late spring. The comments I've heard about clerks here not making a decision until "late" consider May or June of the clerkship year late (clerkships here end in Aug/Sept). So as long as your clerkship ends anywhere during the summer or fall, you should still be fine applying in Jan-Mar.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:38 pm

lolwat wrote:From what I know, firms move relatively fast on clerk applicants early in the year, and most people make up their decisions by mid/late spring. The comments I've heard about clerks here not making a decision until "late" consider May or June of the clerkship year late (clerkships here end in Aug/Sept). So as long as your clerkship ends anywhere during the summer or fall, you should still be fine applying in Jan-Mar.

Even if they make decisions within the first two months after you apply, doesn't that still leave you little time to register/prepare for the bar if you haven't yet taken it? I'm sure I'm an outlier, but I'm clerking in a state where I may not work after my term. I'm going to take the bar in my home state before my clerkship (also different from where I went to law school and where I'm clerking), but I may have to take another if I get a job elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:45 pm

lolwat wrote:From what I know, firms move relatively fast on clerk applicants early in the year, and most people make up their decisions by mid/late spring. The comments I've heard about clerks here not making a decision until "late" consider May or June of the clerkship year late (clerkships here end in Aug/Sept). So as long as your clerkship ends anywhere during the summer or fall, you should still be fine applying in Jan-Mar.

I've gotten very mixed feedback about this. Some people say that big firms begin hiring in Oct-Nov and we should be starting now, other people say it's a waste of time until Jan-March. I'm kinda splitting the baby and doing a mixed approach, maybe 25% now the rest later.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:47 pm

nevdash wrote:

Even if they make decisions within the first two months after you apply, doesn't that still leave you little time to register/prepare for the bar if you haven't yet taken it? I'm sure I'm an outlier, but I'm clerking in a state where I may not work after my term. I'm going to take the bar in my home state before my clerkship (also different from where I went to law school and where I'm clerking), but I may have to take another if I get a job elsewhere.

I'm most likely not working in the state where I'm clerking either, and may or may not have to take another bar different from the one I've already passed, depending on where I get an offer. If you make a decision by the end of April, you'll still have May through July to study for and take the bar. That's pretty much in line with the usual time-frame after graduation anyway, isn't it? Other than the fact that you'll be working during this time, which hurts your free time but shouldn't be a huge deal. I also suspect firms deal with this issue all the time for the clerks that aren't simply returning to wherever they SA'd at.

I've gotten very mixed feedback about this. Some people say that big firms begin hiring in Oct-Nov and we should be starting now, other people say it's a waste of time until Jan-March. I'm kinda splitting the baby and doing a mixed approach, maybe 25% now the rest later.

I think this may depend on the market and the firm. I do know that a few firms have already begun hiring, while I also know that many other firms are waiting until Jan-Mar. I would see if you can find out more specifically about the firms you're interested in. I certainly don't think it would hurt to start sending in applications now, in any case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:49 pm

State supreme court clerks- how have things been going for you w/r/t getting interviews?

What if my clerkship ends in Dec- when should I begin applying?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:State supreme court clerks- how have things been going for you w/r/t getting interviews?

Do you mean December 2012 or December 2013? If the latter, you've got time. If the former, you should be applying now until you're blue in the face.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:54 pm

lolwat wrote:
nevdash wrote:

I'm most likely not working in the state where I'm clerking either, and may or may not have to take another bar different from the one I've already passed, depending on where I get an offer. If you make a decision by the end of April, you'll still have May through July to study for and take the bar. That's pretty much in line with the usual time-frame after graduation anyway, isn't it? Other than the fact that you'll be working during this time, which hurts your free time but shouldn't be a huge deal. I also suspect firms deal with this issue all the time for the clerks that aren't simply returning to wherever they SA'd at.

I think this may depend on the market and the firm. I do know that a few firms have already begun hiring, while I also know that many other firms are waiting until Jan-Mar. I would see if you can find out more specifically about the firms you're interested in. I certainly don't think it would hurt to start sending in applications now, in any case.

Yeah, I've basically been sending things out now iunder the guise of "Hey, I have a question about your preferred timeline for clerking applicants and oh btw here's my resume"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Is it possible to do a SA at a firm I've never worked at between two clerkships?

For example, say I didn't want to return to my 2L summer firm and had two clerkships like up for after graduation. Could I do Clerkship 1 from June to June and then SA from June to August and then Clerkship 2 from August to August?

Has anyone done this before?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 pm

SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:State supreme court clerks- how have things been going for you w/r/t getting interviews?

Do you mean December 2012 or December 2013? If the latter, you've got time. If the former, you should be applying now until you're blue in the face.

Dec 2013- so should I apply around March 2012? Or later? I feel like it's much too early in the clerkship to be applying to firm jobs.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dec 2013- so should I apply around March 2012? Or later? I feel like it's much too early in the clerkship to be applying to firm jobs.

I think about 6 months prior to your clerkship ending is about right (according to some people that I've talked to). For most clerks that ends up being in the Jan-Mar time frame, but for you it's very slightly later.

Also, March 2013. March 2012 is already over, and we're all fucked if we should've been applying then. :)

Postby 20160810 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to do a SA at a firm I've never worked at between two clerkships?

For example, say I didn't want to return to my 2L summer firm and had two clerkships like up for after graduation. Could I do Clerkship 1 from June to June and then SA from June to August and then Clerkship 2 from August to August?

Has anyone done this before?

I've never heard of this happening, but I really don't see why you couldn't apply.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”