Clerks Taking Questions

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 am

traydeuce wrote:
You can tell what she's asking in question 1?


Really? Your answers tends towards the snarky while G.T.L.rev's tend to be helpful and respectful. I'm not saying that your advice isn't often helpful; however, there are plenty of other 3Ls on here with clerkships / who have gone through the clerkship application process. What sets G.T.L. apart is his experience as a clerk and his dedication to actually helping people.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby traydeuce » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
traydeuce wrote:
You can tell what she's asking in question 1?


Really? Your answers tends towards the snarky while G.T.L.rev's tend to be helpful and respectful. I'm not saying that your advice isn't often helpful; however, there are plenty of other 3Ls on here with clerkships / who have gone through the clerkship application process. What sets G.T.L. apart is his experience as a clerk and his dedication to actually helping people.


Yeah, I'm not dedicated to helping people, I'm probably more dedicated to using people's questions as an opportunity to brag about myself and correct errors. No doubt that he's vastly more helpful, though I like to think my posts contain helpful information.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:42 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hopefully that didn't completely screw the quote system, but I don't think you ever came back to this [recommender] question.

Happy to expand on the previous answer. Can you give some specifics as far as the kinds of clerkships you are hoping to obtain? The answer depends in large measure on that.



Two paths are on the table for me at this point,(I'm at HYS)

I got 3 Hs on the first set of exams (which I guess pretty much outs me as being at either H or S). Hoping to improve on that, as I know I could have done better, and worked more efficiently. So, my goal is still to try to clerk for a feeder judge and then see what happens from there.

In the event that that doesn't happen, my goal would then be to do a district court clerkship, then a COA clerkship (unless the reverse order is preferable, which is a question I was going to ask you later), since my career goals are solidly litigation.

So, that's essentially the framework I'm working from as far as my goals go.

Thanks for your help, again.

I have so many questions from 2Ls, 3Ls, and alumni that I am tempted to stop here on ripeness grounds. But I will say that the identity of the recommender matters more as you move up the food chain. So if you come out of 1L year with feeder-type grades, then your mission 2L year is to (1) maintain your GPA and (2) develop strong ties with well-known and well-connected faculty members. The latter typically involves seeking out faculty who you mesh with on a personal or academic level, who teach areas you are interested in, and who you can take repeat classes with/RA for/consult on papers or other similar pursuits. If you plan to target conservative feeders, McConnell or Goldsmith will be better options than Karlan or Tribe. And vice versa. But ideology should be a secondary or tertiary point of emphasis -- the other things matter more.



Thanks, that was extremely helpful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:33 am

COA clerkship chances? ~7-8% at UT/Vandy on LR. Will be hoping to have my note chosen to be published before clerkship apps go out. I think I will have at least 2 strong recommendations and then 1-2 average ones. No ed. board named position, but will hopefully be an associate editor.

I realize I have an uphill battle but I was wondering if I at least had a chance if I apply broadly.

Also was wondering: 1) How it would affect my chances if I was able to get to top 5% or better after this semester? 2) How is LR associate editor viewed in comparison to a named ed board position?

Anything I should be doing right now besides increasing my GPA and strengthening relationship with recommenders?

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Kretzy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:53 am

If someone wants both an appellate and district court clerkship, does it really provide an advantage to focus on getting a d. ct. clerkship first? Or is is easier to snag a district court clerkship after a COA one?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those clerks who have reviewed transcripts/applications: is there any big negative to having unfinished "in progress" credits on one's transcript?

I am working on an independent study this semester which may drag on in to the fall. It's just two units. If I don't complete it by the time applications go out, my transcript will say "IP" (for "in progress") next to my independent credit, but it will have no negative impact on my GPA. This apparently happens a good deal at my school, but could it be construed the wrong way during applications?


do you go to yale? i think it can hurt you if you don't have enough h's on your transcript and do not have a lot of classes with writing requirements. it makes it appear that you can't get your writing done in a decent amount of time which is a real negative.

User avatar
Detrox
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Detrox » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those clerks who have reviewed transcripts/applications: is there any big negative to having unfinished "in progress" credits on one's transcript?

I am working on an independent study this semester which may drag on in to the fall. It's just two units. If I don't complete it by the time applications go out, my transcript will say "IP" (for "in progress") next to my independent credit, but it will have no negative impact on my GPA. This apparently happens a good deal at my school, but could it be construed the wrong way during applications?


do you go to yale? i think it can hurt you if you don't have enough h's on your transcript and do not have a lot of classes with writing requirements. it makes it appear that you can't get your writing done in a decent amount of time which is a real negative.


This is done at NYU as well. It is not always within the control of the students, as some professors will make final assignments due in spring semester and won't have the grade until summer (or even later in some cases).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those clerks who have reviewed transcripts/applications: is there any big negative to having unfinished "in progress" credits on one's transcript?

I am working on an independent study this semester which may drag on in to the fall. It's just two units. If I don't complete it by the time applications go out, my transcript will say "IP" (for "in progress") next to my independent credit, but it will have no negative impact on my GPA. This apparently happens a good deal at my school, but could it be construed the wrong way during applications?


do you go to yale? i think it can hurt you if you don't have enough h's on your transcript and do not have a lot of classes with writing requirements. it makes it appear that you can't get your writing done in a decent amount of time which is a real negative.


Previous anon here. Good question. I don't go to YLS...I'm at a lower T10. By the end of this semester, I should 18 grades on my transcript in addition to this possible "incomplete," so hopefully it wouldn't stand out too dramatically.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Kretzy wrote:If someone wants both an appellate and district court clerkship, does it really provide an advantage to focus on getting a d. ct. clerkship first? Or is is easier to snag a district court clerkship after a COA one?


If you want to do both, you should apply to both simultaneously. The order and timing of obtaining two clerkships is too idiosyncratic to say "focusing" one way or the other will give you an advantage. Some COA judges who are full for the upcoming year will be more likely to hire you if you already have a d. ct. clerkship lined up. Others will hire simultaneously with a d. ct. clerkship (this is rarer, but Katzmann comes to mind). On the other hand some COA judges are hiring for the upcoming year only, and wouldn't hire someone who already has a d. ct. clerkship for that year. Some district court judges may also be full for the upcoming year, but would still be interested in hiring someone who has a lined up a COA clerkship. And so on. So apply to any and all judges you would be happy clerking for.

If you don't end up getting both a COA and a d. ct. clerkship after you apply this year, apply again the following year. Clerk --> Work --> clerk is also becoming a more common path to doing both clerkships.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:24 am

Since I meant to originally post this in this thread but somehow ended up putting it in the Clerkship Scramble thread, I'll repost here:

Is top 10% at Stanford competitive for feeders, or does someone at S really need to be at top 5%?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Since I meant to originally post this in this thread but somehow ended up putting it in the Clerkship Scramble thread, I'll repost here:

Is top 10% at Stanford competitive for feeders, or does someone at S really need to be at top 5%?


Just as a matter of curiosity, what is top 10%/5% at the end of 2L? 80% Hs? Less?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Since I meant to originally post this in this thread but somehow ended up putting it in the Clerkship Scramble thread, I'll repost here:

Is top 10% at Stanford competitive for feeders, or does someone at S really need to be at top 5%?


Just as a matter of curiosity, what is top 10%/5% at the end of 2L? 80% Hs? Less?


Well, there's this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=163408&hilit=SLS+book
I think it's a little aggressive on the book award distribution... what it says at the bottom (30+ people with 1+ book award, 10ish people with 3+ after 1L) makes more sense to me. According to this post, then, top 10% = 70-75% H's with a typical number of book awards (2ish), and top 5% = 85% H's with 3ish book awards (book award totals at the end of 1L).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 am

My sense is that top 10% at S is closer to 66% with 2 book awards. Also, I'd say top 10% is at the cusp of competitive, especially if you're willing to wait a year to clerk.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:My sense is that top 10% at S is closer to 66% with 2 book awards. Also, I'd say top 10% is at the cusp of competitive, especially if you're willing to wait a year to clerk.


This is closer to what my sense was, but I just wanted to get other opinions. The aforementioned book award stuff and aggressiveness of the chart was part of the reason I was skeptical of the link posted earlier. Thank you both though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:COA clerkship chances? ~7-8% at UT/Vandy on LR. Will be hoping to have my note chosen to be published before clerkship apps go out. I think I will have at least 2 strong recommendations and then 1-2 average ones. No ed. board named position, but will hopefully be an associate editor.

I realize I have an uphill battle but I was wondering if I at least had a chance if I apply broadly.

Also was wondering: 1) How it would affect my chances if I was able to get to top 5% or better after this semester? 2) How is LR associate editor viewed in comparison to a named ed board position?

Anything I should be doing right now besides increasing my GPA and strengthening relationship with recommenders?


This got passed over. Any thoughts, G.T.L. (and others)?

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby traydeuce » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 pm

I think you have a chance, I think 5% would help a lot, you don't have to worry about 2 average letters because virtually every judge just wants 3 and some just want 2, and I can't comment on the relative value of ed board positions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Top 20% at BU/BC w/ publication + summer gig with federal agency. Would I have a shot at federal clerkships? What are some of the less selective ones?

Any chance at district courts in Guam, Puerto Rico, Montana, Maine, Vermont, or other flyover states?

I am very interested in the opportunity, but want to make sure I have a shot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 20% at BU/BC w/ publication + summer gig with federal agency. Would I have a shot at federal clerkships? What are some of the less selective ones?

Any chance at district courts in Guam, Puerto Rico, Montana, Maine, Vermont, or other flyover states?

I am very interested in the opportunity, but want to make sure I have a shot.


You have a non-zero shot. You will probably have better luck in a flyover state where you have a connection.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby quiver » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:08 am

General question to anyone who knows the answer:

Do clerkships with the federal circuit require an undergrad hard science degree? I looked through some of the OSCAR postings and some of the federal circuit judges specify one way or the other but some do not; is it assumed that you have one if it's not specified?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:03 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:COA clerkship chances? ~7-8% at UT/Vandy on LR. Will be hoping to have my note chosen to be published before clerkship apps go out. I think I will have at least 2 strong recommendations and then 1-2 average ones. No ed. board named position, but will hopefully be an associate editor.

I realize I have an uphill battle but I was wondering if I at least had a chance if I apply broadly.

Also was wondering: 1) How it would affect my chances if I was able to get to top 5% or better after this semester? 2) How is LR associate editor viewed in comparison to a named ed board position?

Anything I should be doing right now besides increasing my GPA and strengthening relationship with recommenders?


This got passed over. Any thoughts, G.T.L. (and others)?

Agree that you have a nonzero, but not amazing chance at COA. Top 5% would help, sure, but I imagine most COA clerks from UT/Vanderbilt are a little higher even than that. Publication would help a little; a prominent ed board position likewise. The variability in how board positions are named from LR to LR means that anything other than EIC often is seen as a wash. But there are some judges who look a little more carefully, such as the one I clerked for last year, so a "better" board role would help with them.

You are right to apply broadly. Given the amount of off-plan hiring on the 5th and 11th Circuits, I would look into that, too.


Above anon poster here. Thanks for the response. If COA doesn't happen, would my chances increase a fair amount if i was able to get a one year district court clerkship and then reapply for a COA clerkship?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Any sense for how Article III judges view publishing-on to LR as opposed to writing-on? I a 2L at a T10 and I opted out of the write-on at the end of 1L. I have since become much more interested in clerking and have decided to try to publish a student note (and thereby gain membership to LR).

Obviously there is no guarantee that they will take my note, but assuming that they do, would my LR membership be worth any less than that of someone who originally wrote-on? On the one hand, I obviously would not have a board position. On the other hand, I would have a publication.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all input.

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby johndhi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm not sure if this is cross-posting that makes me a dick, but I have a thread with questions on clerking for a multi-district litigation panel judge over here that I'd appreciate your guys' insights on: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=179224

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby johndhi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any sense for how Article III judges view publishing-on to LR as opposed to writing-on? I a 2L at a T10 and I opted out of the write-on at the end of 1L. I have since become much more interested in clerking and have decided to try to publish a student note (and thereby gain membership to LR).

Obviously there is no guarantee that they will take my note, but assuming that they do, would my LR membership be worth any less than that of someone who originally wrote-on? On the one hand, I obviously would not have a board position. On the other hand, I would have a publication.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all input.


I'm a little confused by your phrasing. Are you suggesting that anyone whose note is published becomes a member of the law review at your school? As far as I know that isn't the system at mine or any other law review I've heard of. If your question is simply, "does getting published make up for not making law review," I am not entirely sure. I'd like to think a candidate with a publication is on similar footing to one with law review, but I imagine it depends on where your note is published. Since yours is (apparently) with the main law review, that seems like quite an accomplishment and is probably a greater bonus than being published on a secondary. I'd randomly guess without having participated in the clerkship application process on either side that you're on at least equal footing with a random member of the law review.

Citizen Genet
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:11 pm

johndhi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any sense for how Article III judges view publishing-on to LR as opposed to writing-on? I a 2L at a T10 and I opted out of the write-on at the end of 1L. I have since become much more interested in clerking and have decided to try to publish a student note (and thereby gain membership to LR).

Obviously there is no guarantee that they will take my note, but assuming that they do, would my LR membership be worth any less than that of someone who originally wrote-on? On the one hand, I obviously would not have a board position. On the other hand, I would have a publication.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all input.


I'm a little confused by your phrasing. Are you suggesting that anyone whose note is published becomes a member of the law review at your school? As far as I know that isn't the system at mine or any other law review I've heard of. If your question is simply, "does getting published make up for not making law review," I am not entirely sure. I'd like to think a candidate with a publication is on similar footing to one with law review, but I imagine it depends on where your note is published. Since yours is (apparently) with the main law review, that seems like quite an accomplishment and is probably a greater bonus than being published on a secondary. I'd randomly guess without having participated in the clerkship application process on either side that you're on at least equal footing with a random member of the law review.



Some well-known law reviews allow you to "publish" on. UVA is one that I am thinking of immediately. Anon is asking about that mechanism. Which I don't have a strong opinion on, having never worked in a judge's chambers. I will let GTL handle that one.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Clerks, taking questions for a bit

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any sense for how Article III judges view publishing-on to LR as opposed to writing-on?


I don't think judges would be able to discern how you got onto LR when reviewing your application, so I imagine they would view you the same way they might view any other non-board member of your law review who also published their student comment. In other words, I don't think writing on would diminish the credential at all (and of course the publication would be a big plus).




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.