Clerks Taking Questions

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BulletTooth

Bronze

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby BulletTooth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:35 am

I'd imagine you could find info. on what most state court clerkships pay, which would avoid the awkward questions re compensation. But if you really can't find the info., I don't think there's much harm in asking about.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Postby BlackAndOrange84 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it inappropriate to inquire (either before or during a clerkship interview) about pay? I struck out on six previous fed clerkship interviews, so I decided to apply to state courts. I’ve just accepted an interview with a state CoA judge, but also learned that entry level pay for state courts is much lower than I anticipated. (Like minimum wage low). Would it be appropriate to email and ask about the pay scale to avoid wasting my time and theirs? I wouldn’t be able to afford my rent if the pay is actually as low as what I was told.

State employee salaries are pretty much always a matter of public record. Go do some digging.

anon sequitur

Silver

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:21 am

See if the courthouse has some sort of HR person and call them to ask, rather than calling chambers staff. Really crappy of a government job not to at least list a salary range.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Generally for how long after sending an application should you hold out hope? I sent a batch of apps about two months ago, but I have not heard anything. Is it safe to say those were all rejects?

Dipper

Bronze

Postby Dipper » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Generally for how long after sending an application should you hold out hope? I sent a batch of apps about two months ago, but I have not heard anything. Is it safe to say those were all rejects?

No, far from it. Many chambers don't review applications until their designated time for review/interviewing comes around (for my chambers, that's Feb/March).

BulletTooth

Bronze

Postby BulletTooth » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Generally for how long after sending an application should you hold out hope? I sent a batch of apps about two months ago, but I have not heard anything. Is it safe to say those were all rejects?

Yeah, very few of those chambers are probably in the process of reviewing. If your recommenders are willing and have connections, you should get them to call chambers. That is sometimes a good way to get a chance at an interview before judges start the formal hiring process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:14 am

BulletTooth wrote:

Yeah, very few of those chambers are probably in the process of reviewing. If your recommenders are willing and have connections, you should get them to call chambers. That is sometimes a good way to get a chance at an interview before judges start the formal hiring process.

Agreed. Not saying that there aren’t judges hiring right now (my judge reviews on a rolling basis and will move as quickly or as slowly as s/he thinks is necessary depending on how competitive the applicants are), but this is definitely the offseason. Things will pick up in January once fall semester grades drop. June through August is still the busiest time of year.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships?