Clerks Taking Questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Clerk, taking questions for a bit

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:01 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:A Second Circuit judge who teaches at CLS has explicitly said performance in his class is something he'll consider (and has hired students before).
As in, Judge Sack? How many Second Cir. judges teach at CLS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:A Second Circuit judge who teaches at CLS has explicitly said performance in his class is something he'll consider (and has hired students before).
As in, Judge Sack? How many Second Cir. judges teach at CLS?
3: Sack, Livingston, Lynch,

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:24 pm

What percent of a Stanford Law School student's grades should he Hs in order to be competitive for your judge and similar judges?

wordtoyourmother12

New

Post by wordtoyourmother12 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Mr. G.T.L.,

Minor question but relevant nonetheless: Does resume paper, or paper generally, matter when receiving paper apps? Any "don'ts" regarding paper?

Thank you, Sir.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:25 am

Judges consider grades differently--some count Hs and others look at H/P proportions. As a point of reference, my sense with SLS grades (for rising 3Ls), is that ~16Hs, or 2/3s Hs, is roughly top 10-15%.

I know people with <10 Hs and/or <50% Hs who got CoA clerkships at SLS, although I've heard 50% Hs is the line you should be shooting for to have a solid shot with *some* CoA judge (if you're applying broadly).

For the "feeder" judges, you'll have to have either a bunch (>5) book prizes or something like 20 Hs (>85%) or something close to one of the two with something else strong going for you (aka, if you have 18Hs, 3 book prizes, and Pam Karlan making calls for you, you'll have a good chance of landing some "feeder" judge).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:57 pm

Any sense what the range is for HLS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Trying to figure out how to condense my resume -- which "extracurriculars" and honors should be listed? I know Law Review and Editorial Board should be mentioned, but what about CALI awards, full-tuition merit scholarships, moot court awards, etc.? Are those worth mentioning?

Thanks in advance -- this thread has been gold.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any sense what the range is for HLS?
I would guess 2/3 Hs with no LPs for a good chance. Feeder judges, better have multiple DS and be on Law Review.

PriyaRai

New

Post by PriyaRai » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Just read Judge Lynch's bio. Jesus.

"A life-long New Yorker, Judge Lynch was educated at Regis High School, Columbia College, and the Columbia University School of Law, in each case graduating first in his class."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Does your comment about law review + board also hold true for Stanford? I'm doing the write-on now and could use some motivation :)

Thanks so much for this thread - you've been crazy helpful.

phillyphan

New

Post by phillyphan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:51 am

Do any current or former federal clerks know how long it takes for health insurance coverage to kick in? I'm currently seeing a doctor under my school insurance, which expires at the end of August, and I'm trying to figure out how much of a gap I'll have between insurance coverage.

Thanks!

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:41 pm

Dumb question here:

When we're talking about page lengths for writing samples, are we talking single- or double-spaced? Times New Roman? Courier New?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:32 am

How much info would you put in a clerkship cover letter? Is it really just "I'd love to clerk with you...I have the following ties to the region...here are my recommenders?" Or do judges generally prefer cover letters that quickly highlight the strengths of an applicant as well ("I am the Managing Editor of the Harvard Law Review...I am currently honing my writing skills at Munger...etc")?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:How much info would you put in a clerkship cover letter? Is it really just "I'd love to clerk with you...I have the following ties to the region...here are my recommenders?" Or do judges generally prefer cover letters that quickly highlight the strengths of an applicant as well ("I am the Managing Editor of the Harvard Law Review...I am currently honing my writing skills at Munger...etc")?
The former.

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:48 pm

So would you discount the advice here?: http://www.law.seattleu.edu/documents/c ... covers.pdf

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:51 pm

npe wrote:So would you discount the advice here?: http://www.law.seattleu.edu/documents/c ... covers.pdf
lol

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:02 am

vamedic03 wrote:
npe wrote:So would you discount the advice here?: http://www.law.seattleu.edu/documents/c ... covers.pdf
lol
I didn't mean that as a challenge; I'm genuinely curious. I probably trust GTL's perspective more than that of an OCS halfway across the country.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Ha. My cover letter was pretty close to what Vermont recommended. I landed a clerkship, but after the last few posts I feel ridiculous.

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Agree with your assessment of the advice itself, but wanted to note that Vermont Law School actually compiles and produces excellent and reliable information (application procedures and contact information, specifically) about state court clerkships nationwide. (To wit. This is last year's version; most law schools provide links to the current version.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:36 pm

What are your thoughts on interest sections on resumes for clerkship applications?

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Sorry if this has been covered.

I'm doing well after my first year - my GPA puts me just outside the top 5% at a non-T14, Tier 1. Thanks to being an idiot freshman year, my GPA from undergrad isn't so hot - around a 3.5. However, the final two years of undergrad I made up for the stupidity of my freshman year - I had a 3.9 during that time. Do I let the law grades speak for themselves and assume clerks will know I've redeemed myself or do I risk looking like I'm making an excuse and put the final two-year's GPA on the resume?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I had a related question. I was happy with my LSAT score - 170. I understand competing against other clerk applicants, that might not be that great or matter. Include or not?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:40 pm

What federal clerkships are possible/likely for a Top 10% student at a 30-40 ranked school? Assume law review and good personal LOR from professors. I see that the T14 dominates federal clerkships, but I am looking for a view from the inside.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:Sorry for the double post, but I had a related question. I was happy with my LSAT score - 170. I understand competing against other clerk applicants, that might not be that great or matter. Include or not?
You should not include your LSAT on anything you ever show to anyone ever again, unless they specifically ask you for it. No one cares.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:08 pm

I know this has been covered in passing, but I'm hoping you can elaborate a little bit on professors making calls to judges. When I spoke with my recommenders, they all said that they would be happy to make calls to judges they knew personally but it sounded as if they don't usually "cold call." Do most of the professors who call on behalf students already know your judge? And about how many professors end up making calls during each cycle? It seems like it's almost necessary to have a recommender call, and I'm trying to figure out a way (without coming off as pushy) to encourage mine to make calls for me.

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”