Clerks Taking Questions

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5558
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby rpupkin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Given that you're probably going to have a bit of a rough time landing a post-clerkship job anyway


Also, why do you say this? Is it because my stats are sub-par and I only have transactional experience at a law firm, or you mean it is difficult in general, or both? Genuinely curious, not challenging your opinion.

Your stats are not a concern. Above median at PVM is plenty good enough. There are a few firms that would filter you out based on your school/grades even after a clerkship, but those firms are off the table regardless of how you handle the next few months.

Your main problem will be that you'll be four or five years out of law school and will have had only BK experience in practice. That's not a deal killer everywhere, but some firms will pass. And if you read past "clerks looking for employment" threads, you'll see clerks commenting that finding a post-clerkship job was harder than they thought it would be. Clerking isn't as much of a boost as many assume it is.

For the above reasons, I'd hesitate before doing something that might give a firm another reason not to hire (or even interview) you. When we see an an applicant who is several years out of law school who left a prior firm to clerk, the first thing we wonder is: "Does this person really want to work at a law firm?"

To be clear, when I wrote "a bit of a rough time landing a post-clerkship job," I meant the "a bit" part. I'm not suggesting that you're completely screwed if you leave your firm for this six-month temp clerkship. But I do think it could hurt you a little down the road--so, if your goal is to maximize your law-firm opportunities post-clerkship, I'd probably stick it out at your firm for a few more months.

User avatar
jrf12886
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby jrf12886 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a Bankruptcy associate beginning my second year at Biglaw firm in NYC. I have a district clerkship lined up for 18-19 in a flyover and am currently applying to COA clerk positions for the following year. I don't think I can make it another month at the firm. It's that bad, I hate it, and want to gtfo asap. I have the opportunity to take on a temporary, 6-month clerkship with an Associate Judge on the DC Superior Court (not magistrate judge).

Would it be foolish of me to take this position w/r/t my career? Will it affect my chances of coming back into biglaw (to do litigation of course)? Will future employers look at the DC clerkship and think, "she only got her district and circuit clerkships because of this?" Am I asking the wrong questions? I dont care about the money I would leave behind, and frankly, before this position came up I was simply thinking about straight-up quitting. It's been that bad for me (not asking for a pity party, just trying to give context), and while I want the money, I don't NEED it to survive / cover my loans. I have been saving aggressively and can make it to the next clerkship.

FYI, I am above median at PVM school range, but not law review.


I agree with rpupkin that this wouldn't be ideal. Perhaps if you can tolerate staying at your current job for a few more months, you could explain a 3-ish month gap as a inter-job vacation. It's not all that unusual for clerks to take about 2 months off before or after clerking. Make sure you end at the beginning of the month so your resume will reflect the shortest gap possible.

User avatar
lavarman84
#MAGA
Posts: 7250
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a Bankruptcy associate beginning my second year at Biglaw firm in NYC. I have a district clerkship lined up for 18-19 in a flyover and am currently applying to COA clerk positions for the following year. I don't think I can make it another month at the firm. It's that bad, I hate it, and want to gtfo asap. I have the opportunity to take on a temporary, 6-month clerkship with an Associate Judge on the DC Superior Court (not magistrate judge).

Would it be foolish of me to take this position w/r/t my career? Will it affect my chances of coming back into biglaw (to do litigation of course)? Will future employers look at the DC clerkship and think, "she only got her district and circuit clerkships because of this?" Am I asking the wrong questions? I dont care about the money I would leave behind, and frankly, before this position came up I was simply thinking about straight-up quitting. It's been that bad for me (not asking for a pity party, just trying to give context), and while I want the money, I don't NEED it to survive / cover my loans. I have been saving aggressively and can make it to the next clerkship.

FYI, I am above median at PVM school range, but not law review.


At the end of the day, is returning to biglaw even worth it if you're this miserable?

Anonymous User
Posts: 301408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:43 am

I know SDNY is the golden ticket for district court clerkships but would EDNY be considered a close second? In terms of overall job prospects after clerkship/prestige.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Lincoln » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know SDNY is the golden ticket for district court clerkships but would EDNY be considered a close second? In terms of overall job prospects after clerkship/prestige.


I'd argue there is little difference in job prospects (other than maybe geographical) between SDNY, EDNY, CDCA, NDCA, and maybe even DDC, EDVA.

User avatar
jrf12886
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby jrf12886 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know SDNY is the golden ticket for district court clerkships but would EDNY be considered a close second? In terms of overall job prospects after clerkship/prestige.


For NY firms, they typically invite 2d Cir., SDNY, and EDNY clerks to their clerk hiring events. I believe clerking at any of those courts will get your application seriously considered at most NY firms. I assume the general preference is 2d Cir>SDNY>EDNY, but that may be more correlation that causation, since that's also the general order of selectivity of those clerkships. Also, it is hard to get any of those clerkships, so I am not sure firms really make these fine distinctions.
Last edited by jrf12886 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:46 pm

In terms of job post-clerkship, I don't have any interest in going back to a firm. I was thinking more USAO for SDNY or EDNY or main justice (assuming Trump is no longer president) and how an EDNY vs. SDNY clerkship compares for those.

FascinatedWanderer
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:38 pm

jrf12886 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know SDNY is the golden ticket for district court clerkships but would EDNY be considered a close second? In terms of overall job prospects after clerkship/prestige.


For NY firms, they typically invite 2d Cir., SDNY, and EDNY clerks to their clerk hiring events. I believe clerking at any of those courts will get your application seriously considered at most NY firms. I assume the general preference is 2d Cir>SDNY>EDNY, but that may be more correlation that causation, since that's also the general order of selectivity of those clerkships. Also, it is hard to get any of those clerkships, so I am not sure firms really make these fine distinctions.


And this is largely a geographical thing. NDCA/CDCA/DDC clerks logistically cannot make it out to NYC clerk receptions. I think that by and large the SDNY clerk pool probably has stronger credentials than CDCA/NDCA, but if your credentials are the same I don't think you're going to suffer for having clerked in LA or SF rather than NYC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:37 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:I think that by and large the SDNY clerk pool probably has stronger credentials than CDCA/NDCA.


-rolls eyes-

Anonymous User
Posts: 301408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:00 am

Yeah, I guess I was looking for a more granular comparison for SDNY vs. EDNY clerkships, specifically in regards to government jobs like USAO and main justice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:32 pm

The temporary, 6-month clerkship is going to signal that you quit abruptly or were fired. Given that you're probably going to have a bit of a rough time landing a post-clerkship job anyway (I'm assuming your goal is general lit in big law), I'd stick it out at your firm until two or three months before your district-court clerkship.


Your stats are not a concern. Above median at PVM is plenty good enough. There are a few firms that would filter you out based on your school/grades even after a clerkship, but those firms are off the table regardless of how you handle the next few months.

Your main problem will be that you'll be four or five years out of law school and will have had only BK experience in practice. That's not a deal killer everywhere, but some firms will pass. And if you read past "clerks looking for employment" threads, you'll see clerks commenting that finding a post-clerkship job was harder than they thought it would be. Clerking isn't as much of a boost as many assume it is.

For the above reasons, I'd hesitate before doing something that might give a firm another reason not to hire (or even interview) you. When we see an an applicant who is several years out of law school who left a prior firm to clerk, the first thing we wonder is: "Does this person really want to work at a law firm?"

To be clear, when I wrote "a bit of a rough time landing a post-clerkship job," I meant the "a bit" part. I'm not suggesting that you're completely screwed if you leave your firm for this six-month temp clerkship. But I do think it could hurt you a little down the road--so, if your goal is to maximize your law-firm opportunities post-clerkship, I'd probably stick it out at your firm for a few more months.


I agree with rpupkin that this wouldn't be ideal. Perhaps if you can tolerate staying at your current job for a few more months, you could explain a 3-ish month gap as a inter-job vacation. It's not all that unusual for clerks to take about 2 months off before or after clerking. Make sure you end at the beginning of the month so your resume will reflect the shortest gap possible.


OP here with an update: District court judge has an unexpected opening. I can start in January, but it would still run through July 2019. If I accept, I imagine it addresses the bold above, but I still would have to address the underlined part, which makes me think that this will be an issue regardless of whether I stay at the firm or accept either of the positions. Is that true? Besides money and the above, is there any reason to stay at the firm? Are there negatives to taking what will effectively be a 1.5 year clerkship?

User avatar
lavarman84
#MAGA
Posts: 7250
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby lavarman84 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The temporary, 6-month clerkship is going to signal that you quit abruptly or were fired. Given that you're probably going to have a bit of a rough time landing a post-clerkship job anyway (I'm assuming your goal is general lit in big law), I'd stick it out at your firm until two or three months before your district-court clerkship.


Your stats are not a concern. Above median at PVM is plenty good enough. There are a few firms that would filter you out based on your school/grades even after a clerkship, but those firms are off the table regardless of how you handle the next few months.

Your main problem will be that you'll be four or five years out of law school and will have had only BK experience in practice. That's not a deal killer everywhere, but some firms will pass. And if you read past "clerks looking for employment" threads, you'll see clerks commenting that finding a post-clerkship job was harder than they thought it would be. Clerking isn't as much of a boost as many assume it is.

For the above reasons, I'd hesitate before doing something that might give a firm another reason not to hire (or even interview) you. When we see an an applicant who is several years out of law school who left a prior firm to clerk, the first thing we wonder is: "Does this person really want to work at a law firm?"

To be clear, when I wrote "a bit of a rough time landing a post-clerkship job," I meant the "a bit" part. I'm not suggesting that you're completely screwed if you leave your firm for this six-month temp clerkship. But I do think it could hurt you a little down the road--so, if your goal is to maximize your law-firm opportunities post-clerkship, I'd probably stick it out at your firm for a few more months.


I agree with rpupkin that this wouldn't be ideal. Perhaps if you can tolerate staying at your current job for a few more months, you could explain a 3-ish month gap as a inter-job vacation. It's not all that unusual for clerks to take about 2 months off before or after clerking. Make sure you end at the beginning of the month so your resume will reflect the shortest gap possible.


OP here with an update: District court judge has an unexpected opening. I can start in January, but it would still run through July 2019. If I accept, I imagine it addresses the bold above, but I still would have to address the underlined part, which makes me think that this will be an issue regardless of whether I stay at the firm or accept either of the positions. Is that true? Besides money and the above, is there any reason to stay at the firm? Are there negatives to taking what will effectively be a 1.5 year clerkship?


Is that the clerkship you already had lined up? If so, jump on it. Get out of the job you hate.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5558
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby rpupkin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 am

lavarman84 wrote:Is that the clerkship you already had lined up? If so, jump on it. Get out of the job you hate.

Agreed.

OP: The problem with the six-month superior court clerkship is that it would signal that something went wrong at your current firm. A district court clerkship—regardless of whether it's for 12 or 18 months—won't have that effect.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.