Clerks Taking Questions

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jenglish27

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby jenglish27 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:05 pm

rpupkin wrote:Your situation is not "highly irregular." It's quite common.

Okay, fair enough. I guess it's highly irregular to me because I don't know anyone doing it. Any input/advice?

FascinatedWanderer

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:27 pm

jenglish27 wrote:Quick question re: gap years between clerkships.

For a variety of strange reasons, I've found myself in a position where I might be taking two separate gap years between DCt. and CoA clerkships. Specifically, I'd be working one year for a firm (next year), then D.Ct., then gap year, then CoA. I know this is highly irregular, but both clerkships are really quite good, and it seems like the benefits would outweigh the negatives. Does anyone have any input on this? FWIW, I'm looking to do lit, and while I could see myself ending up at a firm longterm, I could just as easily see myself in govt.

It also seems to me like this might become more common in the near future, but I can't find many people that have done it to this point.

You got hired by a judge for 2020-21? Are you clerking for Katzmann?

jenglish27

Postby jenglish27 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:30 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:

For a variety of strange reasons, I've found myself in a position where I might be taking two separate gap years between DCt. and CoA clerkships. Specifically, I'd be working one year for a firm (next year), then D.Ct., then gap year, then CoA. I know this is highly irregular, but both clerkships are really quite good, and it seems like the benefits would outweigh the negatives. Does anyone have any input on this? FWIW, I'm looking to do lit, and while I could see myself ending up at a firm longterm, I could just as easily see myself in govt.

It also seems to me like this might become more common in the near future, but I can't find many people that have done it to this point.

No no. The second is 2019-2020.

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:39 am

jenglish27 wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:

No no. The second is 2019-2020.
I've done/am doing this. Feel free to PM.

Kolbe

Postby Kolbe » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:00 am

Any d.ct. clerks with prior work experience (1-3 years) successfully make the transition from their clerkship directly to a USAO or DOJ? Trying to get a sense of how realistic this might be and what your timeline for application was?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L at HLS, I have an interview with a district court judge in August, who is my top choice. Should I leverage this into interviews with other judges in the area? My only concern is that the judge I have an interview scheduled with is essentially my top choice, so unsure if it would be wise to try and get other interviews around the same time frame...

Also, I know its been discussed here a bit, but any idea how many people district court judges typically interview for a spot? Trying not to get my hopes up as I know they likely interview a few.

My district court interviews 8 for 2 spots, and if he's not happy with how the first 8 went, he'll keep dipping into the resume pile and bringing people in until he's hired two clerks.

Also yes to your first question--I scored an interview after 2+ months of radio silence from a judge after telling him I would be in the general area for another clerkship interview that week. And by "in the general area," it was multiple states away in the same large census region of the country (I was coming from the opposite coast).

Not the first anon, but did your judge have a "do not call chambers" rule? I tried this with a judge about three hours away from one of my other interviews and am waiting to hear results.

josh61693

Postby josh61693 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any SLS grads around here that can speak to required grades for a feeder clerkship?

Also looking to clerk for a conservative judge, but there are next to zero conservative profs at Stanford besides McConnell and Cole, and Cole is useless. What's it like applying to conservative judges from Stanford?

Was running thru this thread and came across this--what do you mean by Cole is useless?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L at HLS, I have an interview with a district court judge in August, who is my top choice. Should I leverage this into interviews with other judges in the area? My only concern is that the judge I have an interview scheduled with is essentially my top choice, so unsure if it would be wise to try and get other interviews around the same time frame...

Also, I know its been discussed here a bit, but any idea how many people district court judges typically interview for a spot? Trying not to get my hopes up as I know they likely interview a few.

My district court interviews 8 for 2 spots, and if he's not happy with how the first 8 went, he'll keep dipping into the resume pile and bringing people in until he's hired two clerks.

Also yes to your first question--I scored an interview after 2+ months of radio silence from a judge after telling him I would be in the general area for another clerkship interview that week. And by "in the general area," it was multiple states away in the same large census region of the country (I was coming from the opposite coast).

Not the first anon, but did your judge have a "do not call chambers" rule? I tried this with a judge about three hours away from one of my other interviews and am waiting to hear results.

I am not sure if he did, but I did it via email (which is how they had reached out to me about the screener interview).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:43 pm

Currently doing a state trial court clerkship, and have an offer for a firm in that court's major city right now. But I'm gunning for DOJ honors, and have an interview lined up for a state supreme court clerkship. Is that worth another year, if I were to get the clerkship?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Currently doing a state trial court clerkship, and have an offer for a firm in that court's major city right now. But I'm gunning for DOJ honors, and have an interview lined up for a state supreme court clerkship. Is that worth another year, if I were to get the clerkship?

I doubt the state supreme clerkship would make/break your DOJ honors application. I'd still do it unless you're hurting for money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:53 am

Probably a more unusual question but do you ever use your personal computer very much? Trying to decide whether it is worth buying a new computer (likely MBP) vs keeping my old one that is extremely slow.

grand inquisitor

Postby grand inquisitor » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Probably a more unusual question but do you ever use your personal computer very much? Trying to decide whether it is worth buying a new computer (likely MBP) vs keeping my old one that is extremely slow.

i never once worked from home while clerking, and my coclerk would just take her laptop home with her when she did it.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 am

I worked from home like 3 times. Get a new computer if you want one, but you probably don't need one for work - I would wait and see what your situation is like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:24 pm

ggocat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Currently doing a state trial court clerkship, and have an offer for a firm in that court's major city right now. But I'm gunning for DOJ honors, and have an interview lined up for a state supreme court clerkship. Is that worth another year, if I were to get the clerkship?

I doubt the state supreme clerkship would make/break your DOJ honors application. I'd still do it unless you're hurting for money.

Hrm. This is pa, and it seems that most judges have career clerks, so im having a hard timr gauging the value of the clerkship. I have a standing offer at a firm, so with everything theres an opprotunity cost.

Id also be Ok but not thrilled at a reasonably good pittsburgh firm

Any advice?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I worked from home like 3 times. Get a new computer if you want one, but you probably don't need one for work - I would wait and see what your situation is like.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:25 pm

Kolbe wrote:Any d.ct. clerks with prior work experience (1-3 years) successfully make the transition from their clerkship directly to a USAO or DOJ? Trying to get a sense of how realistic this might be and what your timeline for application was?

I did a variation of this - two years at a firm, one year district clerkship, followed by non-DOJ but still pretty competitive fedgov job. The whole reason that I left my firm and took my clerkship was because I wanted to try to go fedgov.

It's hard, but in my opinion doable if you are a reasonably strong applicant. The timeline is super screwy -- I started sending out applications during September of my clerkship (which went from September to August). Sent out more than 200 apps from September to May -- applied to almost every fed attorney job that was posted on usajobs during that time (and found a few agencies, like Department of Health and Human Services, that don't post on USAjobs but that hire attorneys somewhat regularly). Ultimately got an offer in May for a job that I applied for in February. I had gotten a couple other interviews and interview requests during the spring, but did not otherwise get much of a response from the vast majority of the agencies I applied to.

The whole process made the clerkship way more stressful than it probably otherwise would have been, but I'm super happy with how things turned out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:39 pm

josh61693 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any SLS grads around here that can speak to required grades for a feeder clerkship?

Also looking to clerk for a conservative judge, but there are next to zero conservative profs at Stanford besides McConnell and Cole, and Cole is useless. What's it like applying to conservative judges from Stanford?

Was running thru this thread and came across this--what do you mean by Cole is useless?

Not this anon, but I would understand him to mean that Cole is not connected to many judges. Also Cole is not very responsive. Re: feeder clerkship grades, I'd guess at least 10+ H's and 1+ prizes after 1L, plus a recommendation from one of the well-connected professors. If you're competitive, profs will tell you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:33 pm

I was told more prizes than Ps for most feeders.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told more prizes than Ps for most feeders.

That's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Confusedgraduate456

Postby Confusedgraduate456 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:55 pm

Just started taking interest in clerk ships at a very late stage in the game. How competitive are district court clerk ships in flyover states/the Midwest? CCN but fairly bland resume/recommendations

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:41 pm

Confusedgraduate456 wrote:Just started taking interest in clerk ships at a very late stage in the game. How competitive are district court clerk ships in flyover states/the Midwest? CCN but fairly bland resume/recommendations

Former district clerk in a flyover area. My judge received hundreds of applications each cycle - many from top candidates. Geographic ties were very important to him - if you had some kind of real tie to the area and you were otherwise a strong applicant, there was a really good chance you would get an interview. He would look at those applicants with fewer or no ties if the first batch of interviews didn't produce someone who he liked.

My clerkship application cycle largely reinforced this idea - the only interviews I got were in the (flyover) area where I had ties, despite sending applications out everywhere. Of course many, many people clerk in places where they have no ties - so this rule is obviously not universal.

grand inquisitor

Postby grand inquisitor » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:01 pm

Confusedgraduate456 wrote:Just started taking interest in clerk ships at a very late stage in the game. How competitive are district court clerk ships in flyover states/the Midwest? CCN but fairly bland resume/recommendations

please don't call it that

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:34 pm

Maybe he/she is interested in maritime courts?

I'll see myself out.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:41 pm

bk1 wrote:Maybe he/she is interested in maritime courts?

I'll see myself out.

I had to stop myself from making the same joke.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:43 pm

rpupkin wrote:
bk1 wrote:Maybe he/she is interested in maritime courts?

I'll see myself out.

I had to stop myself from making the same joke.

Clearly I lack the necessary impulse control. :(

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”