Clerks Taking Questions

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:49 pm

I'm graduating in 2017. I'm fortunate to have a state supreme court clerkship lined up for 2018-19. I'm still applying for 2017-18 clerkships in the region where the 18-19 clerkship is.

The SSC clerkship will go on my resume. Does anybody have any tips as to whether I should highlight it in my cover letter and if so, what a good framing might be?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22887
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Yes, I think it's worth highlighting in your cover letter. I put it in the first paragraph of mine, something like, "I am writing to apply for a clerkship in your chambers for the 2012-13 term. I graduated from Law School X in May 2011, and will spend 2011-12 clerking for Judge Y on Court Z." You don't need to say any more than that (and it will be on your resume, but I think it's worth throwing it into your cover letter regardless).

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby BVest » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:52 am

Hypothetical question for fellow clerks. Your judge emails you at 12:37 AM. You're up and the answer is short ("No problem. I'll do it first thing tomorrow"). Do you send it or do you just wait for morning?

(I opted for the latter because after going back and forth, it's now closer to 1 and that seems crazy. And I have no doubt Judge will beat me to chambers by an hour or two in the morning, even when I'm on time).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:16 am

BVest wrote:Hypothetical question for fellow clerks. Your judge emails you at 12:37 AM. You're up and the answer is short ("No problem. I'll do it first thing tomorrow"). Do you send it or do you just wait for morning?

(I opted for the latter because after going back and forth, it's now closer to 1 and that seems crazy. And I have no doubt Judge will beat me to chambers by an hour or two in the morning, even when I'm on time).


I'd send it. To be fair, though, one thing I love about clerking is that I rarely check email outside of work hours.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5717
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby BVest » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:39 am

Yeah, I don't go out of my way to check it, but it comes to my phone, so if I check on my phone rather than my computer (which is just personal email), I'll see stuff.

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby spiritniffler189 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:28 am

How careful should a clerk be with prior social media posts? For example, do I need to comb through my Facebook back to 2008 where I'm sure I made some opinion on the presidential election? Is it better to just get rid of Facebook for the year clerking? Thanks!

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:22 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:How careful should a clerk be with prior social media posts? For example, do I need to comb through my Facebook back to 2008 where I'm sure I made some opinion on the presidential election? Is it better to just get rid of Facebook for the year clerking? Thanks!

I'd guess that judges are less likely than most other legal employers to investigate your prior social media history. I think you're reasonably safe. And think of it this way: if a judge doesn't want to hire you because of a political opinion you expressed eight years ago, you probably don't want to work for that judge.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Emma. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:32 pm

rpupkin wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:How careful should a clerk be with prior social media posts? For example, do I need to comb through my Facebook back to 2008 where I'm sure I made some opinion on the presidential election? Is it better to just get rid of Facebook for the year clerking? Thanks!

I'd guess that judges are less likely than most other legal employers to investigate your prior social media history. I think you're reasonably safe. And think of it this way: if a judge doesn't want to hire you because of a political opinion you expressed eight years ago, you probably don't want to work for that judge.


I read this question as more about what you need to do once you are hired and start work. If so, you should just ask the judge (I've heard of some judges requiring clerks to shut down their social media accounts while clerking, but I think this is quite rare). While you can't participate in partisan activities, give campaign contributions, etc. while clerking, everyone knows that clerks have political views. The fact that you've expressed them in the past doesn't besmirch the reputation of the court (the standard for clerk ethics is something along those lines).

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby rpupkin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Emma. wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:How careful should a clerk be with prior social media posts? For example, do I need to comb through my Facebook back to 2008 where I'm sure I made some opinion on the presidential election? Is it better to just get rid of Facebook for the year clerking? Thanks!

I'd guess that judges are less likely than most other legal employers to investigate your prior social media history. I think you're reasonably safe. And think of it this way: if a judge doesn't want to hire you because of a political opinion you expressed eight years ago, you probably don't want to work for that judge.


I read this question as more about what you need to do once you are hired and start work. You should probably just ask the judge (I've heard of some judges requiring clerks to shut down their social media accounts while clerking, but I think this is quite rare). While you can't participate in partisan activities, give campaign contributions, etc. while clerking, everyone knows that clerks have political views. The fact that you've expressed them in the past doesn't besmirch the reputation of the court (the standard for clerk ethics is something along those lines).

I think Emma read the question correctly and I did not. I agree with Emma's assessment.

Laser Lady
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Laser Lady » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 pm

You don't need to go back and purge years-old status updates that express political opinions, but you should check your page of "likes" to make sure you don't "like" any particular parties, candidates, or political positions. If anything political will show up on your current profile, it needs to be removed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:12 pm

**admittedly a clerk for the 2017 term**

It was clear my judge or his clerks checked my Facebook page. When the judge gave me my offer, he asked me what was going on with a particular photo on Facebook (which was not my profile photo). Nothing political was public, but he certainly saw what was public.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby rpupkin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:**admittedly a clerk for the 2017 term**

It was clear my judge or his clerks checked my Facebook page. When the judge gave me my offer, he asked me what was going on with a particular photo on Facebook (which was not my profile photo). Nothing political was public, but he certainly saw what was public.

This goes to show how creepy some judges get. When you basically have no boss, and when your job is guaranteed for life by the frickin Constitution, quirky tendencies sometimes emerge.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:07 pm

did a final interview via bench memo, whats a reasonable turnaround to expect? First-final round was about a week.

User avatar
xael
Posts: 7549
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby xael » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:10 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:**admittedly a clerk for the 2017 term**

It was clear my judge or his clerks checked my Facebook page. When the judge gave me my offer, he asked me what was going on with a particular photo on Facebook (which was not my profile photo). Nothing political was public, but he certainly saw what was public.

This goes to show how creepy some judges get. When you basically have no boss, and when your job is guaranteed for life by the frickin Constitution, quirky tendencies sometimes emerge.


inb4 rpupkin's posts, username, and physical presence on this earth all mysteriously, and totally coincidentally, disappear

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby rpupkin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:did a final interview via bench memo, whats a reasonable turnaround to expect? First-final round was about a week.

Sorry, I don't know what "interview via bench memo" means. I also don't know what "First-final round" means. Is this one of those judges that gives you an exam along with your interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:15 pm

advice on staff attorney/pro se clerk jobs? Career suicide or a way to get my foot in the door for similarly unprestigious federal work? I'm not in a position to really turn anything down, but I'm worried I could take this job for a year and still not be any more employable than I am now (below median t14'er currently doing federal PD work through school-funded fellowship).

(sorry if wrong forum, I guess this sorta counts as a judicial clerkship)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:19 pm

A random, non-local, second tier law school school just sent a copy of their recent law review to chambers. Is this common? Seems bizarre.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:54 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:did a final interview via bench memo, whats a reasonable turnaround to expect? First-final round was about a week.

Sorry, I don't know what "interview via bench memo" means. I also don't know what "First-final round" means. Is this one of those judges that gives you an exam along with your interview?


Yeah. First round was in person. One week later, final round was announced, which was to write a bench memo in a pending case (so yes). Submitted that late last week. Does that clarify?

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby EzraFitz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:32 pm

When will I stop getting heart palpitations every time I get a call from an unknown number in an area code I've applied to?

JusticeJackson
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:43 pm

.
Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon May 09, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:51 pm

I'm in the top 33% at a law school ranked in the 40s and next year I will be the EIC of a secondary journal. I had a hand full of interviews at OCI but ultimately struck out.

What are the odds of landing a big law job if I do a clerkship? I'm guessing, based on my grades and school, that I realistically only have a shot at clerking for a magistrate or a bankruptcy judge.

User avatar
grand inquisitor
Posts: 2631
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:21 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby grand inquisitor » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the top 33% at a law school ranked in the 40s and next year I will be the EIC of a secondary journal. I had a hand full of interviews at OCI but ultimately struck out.

What are the odds of landing a big law job if I do a clerkship? I'm guessing, based on my grades and school, that I realistically only have a shot at clerking for a magistrate or a bankruptcy judge.

if you're just looking to clerk at BK/MG ct for a second bite at the apple, i don't think it will avail you much tbh. clerkships validate your shininess, but they don't really improve your employability that greatly. esp wrt non-Art III cts.

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby EzraFitz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:10 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:When will I stop getting heart palpitations every time I get a call from an unknown number in an area code I've applied to?


My buddy told me his classmates would call other classmates and pretend to be current clerks or secretaries for judges, and try to set up an interview date.

Well that's just cruel.

User avatar
grand inquisitor
Posts: 2631
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:21 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby grand inquisitor » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:46 pm

EzraFitz wrote:
JusticeJackson wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:When will I stop getting heart palpitations every time I get a call from an unknown number in an area code I've applied to?


My buddy told me his classmates would call other classmates and pretend to be current clerks or secretaries for judges, and try to set up an interview date.

Well that's just cruel.

yea that's some fucked up shit

JusticeJackson
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:55 pm

.
Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon May 09, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.