Clerks Taking Questions

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
User avatar
BulletTooth
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby BulletTooth » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you ask a professor to call a judge on your behalf? Is there sample language floating around on TLS? I looked, but was unable to find anything. This is a very specific judge I am interested in, and the professor knows him/her personally.


I would always ask the professor in person. They're likely going to want some information on the Judge and what you've done outside of school, so it's easier to talk in person than through email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 pm

What approximate class rank is 7H/3P at Harvard? (With one Dean's Scholar)?

User avatar
jrf12886
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby jrf12886 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What approximate class rank is 7H/3P at Harvard? (With one Dean's Scholar)?


That's 3.8. At graduation, magna (top 10%) is usually around 3.95. Grades are inflated after 1L, but I'd guess 3.8 after 1L is still below top 10%. I'd think roughly around top 15%

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:57 am

do yearly January 1 pay increases for federal civilian employees apply to federal law clerks? The administration announced a 1.9% pay increase (1.4+0.5 locality) effective Jan. 1, 2018. And there's federal legislation proposing a 3.2% increase (although that's less likely to pass). Does that mean law clerks at JSP-11, 12, 13 will see the same amount, or is the schedule completely different? I've googled the question and come up short.

Thanks!

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:33 am

Clerks get that bump, they are on the Judicial Salary Plan, which mirrors GS scale.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Is it fine to tutor over the weekend to earn extra money? Things like legal writing etc. for 1Ls or general SAT tutoring etc.? Or is that a breach of ethical duties?

User avatar
BulletTooth
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby BulletTooth » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it fine to tutor over the weekend to earn extra money? Things like legal writing etc. for 1Ls or general SAT tutoring etc.? Or is that a breach of ethical duties?


http://www.uscourts.gov/sites/default/f ... ch03_0.pdf. Look at Canon 4 to see what is allowed.

User avatar
mjb447
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby mjb447 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:16 pm

BulletTooth wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it fine to tutor over the weekend to earn extra money? Things like legal writing etc. for 1Ls or general SAT tutoring etc.? Or is that a breach of ethical duties?


http://www.uscourts.gov/sites/default/f ... ch03_0.pdf. Look at Canon 4 to see what is allowed.

And always ask your judge, who might permit less than the rules allow.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:44 pm

My reading of the canon is that tutoring is fine (judge permitting). Is that what y'all think also?

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby runinthefront » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My reading of the canon is that tutoring is fine (judge permitting). Is that what y'all think also?

yeah

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:25 pm

If a judge opened a position on OSCAR very recently (<10 days ago) and today went to "Filled" is the position for sure filled or is the judge just satisfied with making a pick from the applicants he has?

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a judge opened a position on OSCAR very recently (<10 days ago) and today went to "Filled" is the position for sure filled or is the judge just satisfied with making a pick from the applicants he has?


Could be either, judges aren't bound by HR regulations or anything like that. Ten days is pretty quick to go from job announcement to hiring, but not implausible at all. If you're asking whether or not to send an application anyway, go for it, it's probably a waste of time but who cares?

User avatar
mjb447
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby mjb447 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a judge opened a position on OSCAR very recently (<10 days ago) and today went to "Filled" is the position for sure filled or is the judge just satisfied with making a pick from the applicants he has?

More likely that it was filled, but I don't think you can know for certain.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:42 pm

What downsides are there to taking a third clerkship with a State Supreme Court judge like Thomas Lee, Cuellar, Liu, or Kruger? The first two clerkships would be fed district and CoA. Career goals are public interest (inc. fed gov), not big law.

jd20132013
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:56 am

I think there's a good chance you'll be tired of cleaning by three years in, for one

jd20132013
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:56 am

I think there's a good chance you'll be tired of cleaning by three years in, for one

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What downsides are there to taking a third clerkship with a State Supreme Court judge like Thomas Lee, Cuellar, Liu, or Kruger? The first two clerkships would be fed district and CoA. Career goals are public interest (inc. fed gov), not big law.


You're going to have to make the call for yourself. I did exactly what you're considering (for one of those justices) and I think it's worked out for me so far.

lolwat
Posts: 1103
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby lolwat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:40 am

jd20132013 wrote:I think there's a good chance you'll be tired of cleaning by three years in, for one


Assuming that meant clerking and not “cleaning,” I’m not sure that will be the case for the OP. All three clerkships are at different levels, focusing on different aspects of the litigation process.

The pay will suck but if the goal is public interest, it must not really matter...

The potential downside is having 3 years of clerking on the resume. Then again, if OP is looking to stay in CA, I think the only thing that would look better on a resume than CD/NDCA, 9th Cir., and CASCT clerkships is a SCOTUS clerkship. Not sure how other places view CASCT clerkships.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:25 am

If you're looking to work in DC (or practice in Utah I guess) a Lee clerkship would probably be worth it.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby ggocat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:20 am

And to the extent OP is ever interested in career clerking in California (pay looks pretty good for what I imagine is a strict 40 hours or less job), I imagine getting one of the rare term clerkships would be a big boost.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:43 am

lolwat wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:I think there's a good chance you'll be tired of cleaning by three years in, for one


Assuming that meant clerking and not “cleaning,” I’m not sure that will be the case for the OP. All three clerkships are at different levels, focusing on different aspects of the litigation process.

The pay will suck but if the goal is public interest, it must not really matter...

The potential downside is having 3 years of clerking on the resume. Then again, if OP is looking to stay in CA, I think the only thing that would look better on a resume than CD/NDCA, 9th Cir., and CASCT clerkships is a SCOTUS clerkship. Not sure how other places view CASCT clerkships.


Really? I think the CA legal market is sophisticated enough to appreciate non-SCOTUS federal clerkships outside of CA, and likely more so than certain CASCT ones. Are you really saying CASCT over CADC?

lolwat
Posts: 1103
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby lolwat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:I think there's a good chance you'll be tired of cleaning by three years in, for one


Assuming that meant clerking and not “cleaning,” I’m not sure that will be the case for the OP. All three clerkships are at different levels, focusing on different aspects of the litigation process.

The pay will suck but if the goal is public interest, it must not really matter...

The potential downside is having 3 years of clerking on the resume. Then again, if OP is looking to stay in CA, I think the only thing that would look better on a resume than CD/NDCA, 9th Cir., and CASCT clerkships is a SCOTUS clerkship. Not sure how other places view CASCT clerkships.


Really? I think the CA legal market is sophisticated enough to appreciate non-SCOTUS federal clerkships outside of CA, and likely more so than certain CASCT ones. Are you really saying CASCT over CADC?


Clerking on the CASCT is a relatively rare phenomenon before Justice Liu and it's still relatively uncommon since only three justices hire term clerks, and not all hire term clerks for all of their spots, so it's sort of tough to tell. All three justices who hire term clerks are really well-regarded and the people they hire basically have feeder clerkship stats though, so it's not necessarily like other SSC justices in other states who might prefer to hire locally and end up with clerks who don't otherwise have feeder clerkship stats. (I could be wrong about Kruger; most of my info is Cuellar and Liu clerks.)

Also, I don't know if I'd call it a matter of sophistication. It's sort of like how firms here love UCLA and USC kids even though there are other schools in the T20 that are just as good as those two schools. Everybody appreciates clerkships, no matter where you did them. But as a general matter--with exceptions--CDCA/NDCA is looked more favorably upon than other districts (especially non-CA districts) and 9th Circuit is generally looked upon more favorably than other circuits (with exception of Fed. Cir. for patent lit, and possibly D.C. Cir. for prestige).

My previous post was also referring to somebody who will be clerking for three years at the district, federal appellate, and then CASCT levels. I'd take CASCT over a second federal appellate clerkship any day (unless that "federal appellate clerkship" happens to be SCOTUS). There's just not that much value to, for example, clerking on the 6th Circuit and then taking a second clerkship at the D.C Circuit. Even if you had to choose one appellate clerkship and it's between CASCT and the D.C. Circuit, and you're dead set on being in California, I'd choose CASCT.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:08 pm

I am a Bankruptcy associate beginning my second year at Biglaw firm in NYC. I have a district clerkship lined up for 18-19 in a flyover and am currently applying to COA clerk positions for the following year. I don't think I can make it another month at the firm. It's that bad, I hate it, and want to gtfo asap. I have the opportunity to take on a temporary, 6-month clerkship with an Associate Judge on the DC Superior Court (not magistrate judge).

Would it be foolish of me to take this position w/r/t my career? Will it affect my chances of coming back into biglaw (to do litigation of course)? Will future employers look at the DC clerkship and think, "she only got her district and circuit clerkships because of this?" Am I asking the wrong questions? I dont care about the money I would leave behind, and frankly, before this position came up I was simply thinking about straight-up quitting. It's been that bad for me (not asking for a pity party, just trying to give context), and while I want the money, I don't NEED it to survive / cover my loans. I have been saving aggressively and can make it to the next clerkship.

FYI, I am above median at PVM school range, but not law review.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5559
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby rpupkin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a Bankruptcy associate beginning my second year at Biglaw firm in NYC. I have a district clerkship lined up for 18-19 in a flyover and am currently applying to COA clerk positions for the following year. I don't think I can make it another month at the firm. It's that bad, I hate it, and want to gtfo asap. I have the opportunity to take on a temporary, 6-month clerkship with an Associate Judge on the DC Superior Court (not magistrate judge).

Would it be foolish of me to take this position w/r/t my career?

I don't know if I would call it "foolish," but I wouldn't do it if I were you.

The temporary, 6-month clerkship is going to signal that you quit abruptly or were fired. Given that you're probably going to have a bit of a rough time landing a post-clerkship job anyway (I'm assuming your goal is general lit in big law), I'd stick it out at your firm until two or three months before your district-court clerkship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301538
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:55 pm

I don't know if I would call it "foolish," but I wouldn't do it if I were you.

The temporary, 6-month clerkship is going to signal that you quit abruptly or were fired. Given that you're probably going to have a bit of a rough time landing a post-clerkship job anyway (I'm assuming your goal is general lit), I'd stick it out at your firm.



I see. That was one of my concerns. So do you believe that there is no way that firms would think or that I would be able to explain in interviews that yeah, I did what the firm asked me to do, I tried to get into litigation and it was a no, I didn't want to do this anymore, so I looked for other opportunities, and there was a temporary clerkship opportunity that aligned perfectly with my timeline and future clerkship? (I say aligns perfectly because, and sorry I should have clarified, the position wouldn't begin until January 2018, which would give me a month between the two clerkships and some time to check out of here and quit first week of December. December because then it looks like I don't have a gap in employment. I can stick it out for that long.) Is this train of thought too naive?

Given that you're probably going to have a bit of a rough time landing a post-clerkship job anyway


Also, why do you say this? Is it because my stats are sub-par and I only have transactional experience at a law firm, or you mean it is difficult in general, or both? Genuinely curious, not challenging your opinion.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.