Sitting for the Bar with poor character and fitness Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
john1990

Silver

Sitting for the Bar with poor character and fitness

Post by john1990 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:19 pm

I was able to get into Law School alright, although, some schools did take a second look at my character and fitness and it may have led to me being put on a few waitlists.

My concern is, what are the chances of my character and fitness being an issue for being able to sit for the bar? I have never been convicted of a felony. However, I have many violation level offenses as a minor and 4 misdemeanors. 2 of which are as a minor.

I was trespassing on a neighbors porch after being invited over by staying for a couple seconds after she told me to leave. I then got violating an order of protection for throwing an egg at her parked car. Other misdemeanors were petty larceny for receiving stolen video games and upm. I also had a dui as a minor.

Will I be able to sit for the California bar? I was able to get a full scholarship at a 3T so I do not have much debt.
What work is out there for a JD graduate without the Bar?

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Sitting for the Bar with poor character and fitness

Post by thesealocust » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Close to the only way to fail character & fitness is to lie during the process. It's not about keeping people out, especially people who have been through 3 years of law school - it's about doing a minimum level of due diligence on people's background before granting them a law license.

The worst case scenario is probably having to do some classes or affirmative disclosure about how you've reformed yourself or w/e.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”