Will the Deposit Be Followed By An I-20 Visa?

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
jingyuan

Will the Deposit Be Followed By An I-20 Visa?

Postby jingyuan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Hey, I know it is not a brilliant question, but I am really eager to know the answer. As an international student, if I pay the deposit to one law school, and without other documents, would there be an I-20 Visa guaranteed just on the basis of this deposit?

Purplebook

Re: Will the Deposit Be Followed By An I-20 Visa?

Postby Purplebook » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:44 am

By I-20 visa do you mean would the school grant you an I-20 based on a deposit, or would the US Embassy grant you an F1 with you having only the I-20 to show if you were to go in to interview?

For the former scenario, I'd say the school would know that you need to have the I-20 ASAP if you're to get a visa for August.

For the latter scenario, ask the school to send you a letter stating that you will enroll to accompany the I-20.

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Purplebook wrote:By I-20 visa do you mean would the school grant you an I-20 based on a deposit, or would the US Embassy grant you an F1 with you having only the I-20 to show if you were to go in to interview?

For the former scenario, I'd say the school would know that you need to have the I-20 ASAP if you're to get a visa for August.

For the latter scenario, ask the school to send you a letter stating that you will enroll to accompany the I-20.

By I-20 visa, I mean the school grant me an I-20 based on the deposit, not the US Government. And thank you for your reply! Can I get more than one I-20 visa forms issued by school? I mean, it is quite possible if I have some offers issued by some different schools, right?

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:57 pm

jingyuan wrote:
Purplebook wrote:By I-20 visa do you mean would the school grant you an I-20 based on a deposit, or would the US Embassy grant you an F1 with you having only the I-20 to show if you were to go in to interview?

By I-20 visa, I mean the school grant me an I-20 based on the deposit, not the US Government. And thank you for your reply! Can I get more than one I-20 visa forms issued by school? I mean, it is quite possible if I have some offers issued by some different schools, right?

Technically it should be possible, but are you planning on making multiple deposits? I read somewhere that LSAC actually registers seat deposit info (reported by law schools) and shares it with all law schools (so that they have a better understanding of how their classes are shaping up). That said, make sure you're not doing yourself a disservice by not questioning the schools' policies on multiple deposits. Some schools do not allow it.

Whatever school you make your deposit to will provide you with everything (including your I20 form) you need to get your F1 visa; They've been doing this for a long time (unless it's some newly minted law school).

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:50 am

facile princeps wrote:
jingyuan wrote:

Technically it should be possible, but are you planning on making multiple deposits? I read somewhere that LSAC actually registers seat deposit info (reported by law schools) and shares it with all law schools (so that they have a better understanding of how their classes are shaping up). That said, make sure you're not doing yourself a disservice by not questioning the schools' policies on multiple deposits. Some schools do not allow it.

Whatever school you make your deposit to will provide you with everything (including your I20 form) you need to get your F1 visa; They've been doing this for a long time (unless it's some newly minted law school).

THanks! Could you please paste the link or website of the LSAC information you mentioned before?

mths

Postby mths » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:57 am

You won't get your I-20 before you show that you have enough money to pay for the full 3 year cost of attendance. You don't actually have to pay it but it has to be liquid and provable.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:30 am

jingyuan wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
jingyuan wrote:

THanks! Could you please paste the link or website of the LSAC information you mentioned before?

Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.
Source

mths wrote:You won't get your I-20 before you show that you have enough money to pay for the full 3 year cost of attendance. You don't actually have to pay it but it has to be liquid and provable.
+1

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 am

By I-20 visa, I mean the school grant me an I-20 based on the deposit, not the US Government. And thank you for your reply! Can I get more than one I-20 visa forms issued by school? I mean, it is quite possible if I have some offers issued by some different schools, right?[/quote]

Whatever school you make your deposit to will provide you with everything (including your I20 form) you need to get your F1 visa; They've been doing this for a long time (unless it's some newly minted law school).[/quote]
THanks! Could you please paste the link or website of the LSAC information you mentioned before?[/quote]
Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.
Source

mths wrote:You won't get your I-20 before you show that you have enough money to pay for the full 3 year cost of attendance. You don't actually have to pay it but it has to be liquid and provable.
+1[/quote]
Thank you so much!!!

Purplebook

Postby Purplebook » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 am

From what I remember, if you got a scholarship from the school that will cover COA you can bring documentation showing that in lieu of a bank statement. Also check to see whether being approved for a student loan covering COA will work (I think I heard that it does, but take that with a grain of salt). Of course, if you're fortunate enough to have a large bank account, the simplest thing to do is show up with the bank statement.

And I think it's only required that you show that you can pay for your first year of study.... I googled it and Phoenix Law School came up first. Its website says "Therefore, all applicants who require a student (F–1) or exchange visitor (J–1) visa are required to show proof that funds are guaranteed for the first year of study." It would make sense that you only have to show money for one year, because after your first year in the states you can apply for financial hardship something or the other (don't remember what it's called) which allows you to work off campus if you become truly poor. I'm sure the International Students Office at your school will be able to confirm/deny this. You really should try calling them.

http://www.phoenixlaw.edu/admissions/de ... ?PageID=64

mths

Postby mths » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:12 am

Purplebook wrote:

From what I remember, if you got a scholarship from the school that will cover COA you can bring documentation showing that in lieu of a bank statement. Also check to see whether being approved for a student loan covering COA will work (I think I heard that it does, but take that with a grain of salt). Of course, if you're fortunate enough to have a large bank account, the simplest thing to do is show up with the bank statement.

And I think it's only required that you show that you can pay for your first year of study.... I googled it and Phoenix Law School came up first. Its website says "Therefore, all applicants who require a student (F–1) or exchange visitor (J–1) visa are required to show proof that funds are guaranteed for the first year of study." It would make sense that you only have to show money for one year, because after your first year in the states you can apply for financial hardship something or the other (don't remember what it's called) which allows you to work off campus if you become truly poor. I'm sure the International Students Office at your school will be able to confirm/deny this. You really should try calling them.

No

Funds for three years

Loans work

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Purplebook wrote:

Thanks! That really helps!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”