University of Arizona Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
lever1je

University of Arizona Class of 2016

Postby lever1je » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Anybody else counting down the days til orientation??

Stormageddon

Re: University of Arizona Class of 2016

Postby Stormageddon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:05 pm

lever1je wrote:Anybody else counting down the days til orientation??

Heck yes :)

lever1je

Postby lever1je » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Haha well looks like were the only ones around here then. For being a T1, U of A doesn't really get as much love around TLS for some reason. You figure out where you're staying yet?

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Deposit in

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Putting down my deposit this week!

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 pm

lever1je wrote:Haha well looks like were the only ones around here then. For being a T1, U of A doesn't really get as much love around TLS for some reason. You figure out where you're staying yet?

Plan to go there a little bit earlier before orientation. But still no idea where to stay. Do you have some ideas?

lever1je

Postby lever1je » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:17 am

jingyuan wrote:
lever1je wrote:Haha well looks like were the only ones around here then. For being a T1, U of A doesn't really get as much love around TLS for some reason. You figure out where you're staying yet?

Plan to go there a little bit earlier before orientation. But still no idea where to stay. Do you have some ideas?

I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna do my first year in the grad dorms. From what I've seen, the only con is the price which I think might be worth it for the convenience (both with being so close to the law building and not having to deal with bills/utility setups/buying all new furniture) and the security of knowing it'll be a decent place to live with no slumlord involved. It's probably gonna run a little bit more than $930/month for a one bedroom.

I was looking into a place called Capistrano Apartments and those seemed like one of the nicer places in town. Also heard good things about Cottonwood Creek. Both of those are near a bike path that heads right into campus, so they're both fairly convenient. If you're looking for a cheaper option, I've heard good things about Deerfield; it's a little further than the others but rent is only around ~$500 for a one bedroom. All of these places have decent reputations (from what I've seen online, at least) so if you're willing to take the risk of signing without seeing them assuming you won't be visiting, they're worth looking into

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 pm

I didn't know Capistrano and Cottonwood Creek were by a bike path. Any other places near a bike path that goes to campus? I'm planning on biking every day so that's a major consideration. I've actually looked into those complexes too, so I'll be putting them on my list!

lever1je

Postby lever1je » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:01 am

elcee1987 wrote:I didn't know Capistrano and Cottonwood Creek were by a bike path. Any other places near a bike path that goes to campus? I'm planning on biking every day so that's a major consideration. I've actually looked into those complexes too, so I'll be putting them on my list!

From what I've seen, they're both a block or two from the 3rd Street bike path. I originally heard Cottonwood Creek was and then looked on a map to see that Capistrano was right near it too. I don't know about any other apartments near that one, but I do know the city is very biker friendly from the looks of it. Also, I'm unsure if this was common practice at most universities and my UG just sucked or something, but Arizona has a bike valet system set up. It costs nothing and you're not allowed to tip, so I thought that was pretty cool too.

Another thing to look out for is the streetcar they're installing. It looks like it's been delayed again and not going to be done until the summer after our 1L but when looking for 2L places it'll definitely be something to keep in mind; will likely be a solid way to get to campus and downtown.

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:46 pm

The bike valet service is by the Nugent building, which looks to be a bit of a walk from my views on the campus map. Anyone been on campus and know how far away it is? I'll probably end up renting a bike locker at McLelland, since I plan on having an electric bike. I'm excited to avoid driving to school though. Parking at a college campus is generally one of the banes of my existence.

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 pm

lever1je wrote:
jingyuan wrote:

I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna do my first year in the grad dorms. From what I've seen, the only con is the price which I think might be worth it for the convenience (both with being so close to the law building and not having to deal with bills/utility setups/buying all new furniture) and the security of knowing it'll be a decent place to live with no slumlord involved. It's probably gonna run a little bit more than $930/month for a one bedroom.

I was looking into a place called Capistrano Apartments and those seemed like one of the nicer places in town. Also heard good things about Cottonwood Creek. Both of those are near a bike path that heads right into campus, so they're both fairly convenient. If you're looking for a cheaper option, I've heard good things about Deerfield; it's a little further than the others but rent is only around ~$500 for a one bedroom. All of these places have decent reputations (from what I've seen online, at least) so if you're willing to take the risk of signing without seeing them assuming you won't be visiting, they're worth looking into

Wow, thanks! You really did do a lot of work on living condition! I think I'd better spend the first year in dorm then I'll make up my mind whether to live outside.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:55 am

Since I won't be going to the U of A, can one of you good folks do me a solid and slap the everloving shit out of this guy when you get there?

Postby 762 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 am

2L here, bored of studying for finals.

Grad Dorms
Pros: Location to bars/school
Cons: Price, Size, Privacy

Outside apartments/houses
Pros: Price, Size, Privacy
Cons: Short commute to school

I live about 10 minutes away and the only downside is that it makes going out marginally more problematic because sobering up at bars before you drive home sucks.

I would take the savings over grad housing any day. Why add unnecessarily to your COA?

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:40 am

Hey! A current student! What's U of A like, is it pretty chill? Where do most people study, in the library? Elsewhere on campus? Their own places?

Looks like I'm going to live at Capistrano and ride my electric bike to school (avoiding parking, woohoo!), so thank you to this thread!

Postby 762 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:49 am

UA is very chill. People are closet competitive and don't talk much about grades because there is a strong social response against perceived gunners. Definitely the least competitive law school atmosphere I have heard of.

Most people study at home, the school, or bars.

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Any advice that you wish you'd gotten before you started law school (or that you got and have been grateful for?) I've been having a difficult time finding 1L's at UA to talk to!

Postby 762 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 am

Have realistic expectations and do not take on a ton of debt. UA is a great school, but if your goal is biglaw it is not the place for you. 10-15% of the class can make it into bigger firms but most won't, and based on math, the probability is against you.

It is not easy to do well here just because it is not T-14, people are sharp and the people who transfer still tend to do well at their new higher ranked schools.

Make sure you can pay off your debt with a 50k salary, it really removes stress, and adds flexibility.

Law students are generally the worst networkers in the world, if you can do that it will open up amazing doors.

Also put in effort at getting a job. Most students just apply to the firms that OCI or post openings through career services. That is a small amount compared to how many you can reach out and contact.

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Good, I'm actually Native American, planning on going into Indian Law, so it sounds like a lot of the problems UA students deal with will probably not be an issue for me. Any other thoughts?

Do you get much free time to balance life and school? Is it a personal time-budgeting thing?

Postby 762 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 pm

The native american programs here are very good, and make it easy to network into that career path. Get to know the professors in the program as soon as possible.

During the first 2/3's of the year you can have a fair bit of free time. The final 1/3 is where it gets rough with finals.

Some students don't go to many classes, go out multiple days per week, just use E&Es, and still do ok. It all depends on your own personal preferences.

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:12 am

What about housing? Parking seems horrific, so my goal is to find a place within a few miles that I can bike from. Are there any complexes that seem to be popular, or at least well-regarded? Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit before I move down there, so housing is making me nervous.

Postby 762 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Parking is very easy, just get one of the lots by the school or the Park ave. garage.

The closer you live to campus the more expensive or the worse the quality of housing is. River rd. is generally the dividing line between the nicer northern area of the city. I would recommend looking at a few of the apartment complexes on River if you are used to a little nicer quality of housing.

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:06 pm

I wouldn't mind driving but a) I'd like the exercise, and b) parking permits are horrifically expensive (my current college is $20/semester). What do you know about the Miramonte neighborhood?

Also, are there any teachers to avoid or try to get?

Postby 762 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:29 pm

As a 1L you wont get much choice in your faculty so just take the one elective that fits your career path best.

falcon0983

Postby falcon0983 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Congratulations everyone on being admitted to the U of A School of Law. I am thinking about a facebook group page for the entering class so that we can share, talk, discuss and know each other before we start the school.

Would like your inputs on this. Let me know who all is interested.

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 am

falcon0983 wrote:Congratulations everyone on being admitted to the U of A School of Law. I am thinking about a facebook group page for the entering class so that we can share, talk, discuss and know each other before we start the school.

Would like your inputs on this. Let me know who all is interested.

There already is one. I would link to it but I'm @ work and they block FB.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”