Vanderbilt Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
TheThriller

Gold

Vanderbilt Law Class of 2016

Post by TheThriller » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:52 am

Cannot believe we still don't have one for Vandy! So, I've decided to present to you the Vandy Class of 2016 thread :mrgreen:

<SUMMER CALENDAR FOR ENTERING JD STUDENTS>

=What to do immediately=
Set up VUnet ID
Submit loan applications - suggested deadline June 15

=By July 1=
Returning "Demographic and Insurance Information" and "Health Questionnaire and Immunization History" to the Student Health Center

=By July 19=
Confirm intent to enroll by email to the Admissions Office

To be updated periodically

<USEFUL LINKS>

Group Facebook Click on the link and just request to join :D

Admitted Students Programs

Law School Transparency Profile (LinkRemoved)

Law School Numbers Profile

Estimated Cost of Attendance

ABA Employment Summary for the Class of 2011

ABA Employment Summary for the Class of 2012

Vandy Law Catalog

<Academic Calendar 2013-14>

Fall 2013
Orientation: August 12-16
First Day of Classes: August 19
1L Mini Break: September 27-30
Last Day of Classes: November 22
Fall Break: November 23-December 1
Exam Period: December 2-13

Spring 2014
First Day of Classes: January 6
MLK Day: January 20
Spring Break: March 1-9
Last Day of Classes: April 18
Exam Period: April 21-May 2

<PHOTO ZONE>

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved-- Image

<Biglaw(101+) and Federal Clerkship Data(LST Class of 2012>

- Created by RetakeFrenzy, thanks for all the hard work putting this together!
Last edited by TheThriller on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 17 times in total.

WDH

New

Re: Vanderbilt Law Class of 2016

Post by WDH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:48 am

I'm really excited to visit! I'm going to the April ASW, and am going to spend most of the weekend in Nashville because I have never been!

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:08 pm

WDH wrote:I'm really excited to visit! I'm going to the April ASW, and am going to spend most of the weekend in Nashville because I have never been!
I would really love to visit, but can't make it :(

Vandy had a reception in the city I live, but they had it like two days after I got in and I wasn't aware of the event at the time..

Hope you have a lot of fun and share your experience with us :D

WDH

New

Post by WDH » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:36 am

I'm excited to hear how this weekend went for everyone there now. And hopefully bar review doesn't make them miss tomorrow!

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:12 am

WDH wrote:I'm really excited to visit! I'm going to the April ASW, and am going to spend most of the weekend in Nashville because I have never been!
It's such a fun city! I would love to go to Vandy!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 pm

arkgawilson wrote:
It's such a fun city! I would love to go to Vandy!
Very true. Nashville is surprisingly awesome.

RemyMarathe

Bronze

Post by RemyMarathe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:23 am

Checking in. I have all but made my deposit.

WDH

New

Post by WDH » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 pm

I was at the admitted student program this weekend. Was anyone else from TLS there? The talent show was hilarious, and I had a good time. There is a decent chance I will be there in the Fall.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 pm

WDH wrote:I was at the admitted student program this weekend. Was anyone else from TLS there? The talent show was hilarious, and I had a good time. There is a decent chance I will be there in the Fall.
Wow! How was it? Mind sharing some of your thoughts for us TLSers that couldn't make it? :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I had a GREAT time at ASW last week. The school is BEAUTIFUL, the people are SUPER FRIENDLY, the professors seem really invested in students' success, and the city is amazing. 8)

WDH

New

Post by WDH » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:52 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
WDH wrote:I was at the admitted student program this weekend. Was anyone else from TLS there? The talent show was hilarious, and I had a good time. There is a decent chance I will be there in the Fall.
Wow! How was it? Mind sharing some of your thoughts for us TLSers that couldn't make it? :D

Yeah I would be happy to share some thoughts! I'll write something up when I get some downtime at work this afternoon, or after I get home this evening!

Midas Whale

New

Post by Midas Whale » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:03 pm

I was also at the admitted students program this past weekend. I was really impressed overall. Nice people, warmish weather, had a real “college” feel to it ect.. I could definitely spend three years in Nashville. Leaning towards Vandy at the moment, esp. as it would be significantly cheaper than other options.

I will say I am still a little nervous about portability as I have no desire to practice in the south long term, but the wide distribution of the class (particularly to the NE) makes me feel a bit better.

WDH

New

Post by WDH » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:50 pm

WDH wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:

Yeah I would be happy to share some thoughts! I'll write something up when I get some downtime at work this afternoon, or after I get home this evening!
Alright so here it goes! Hopefully don't out myself too easily!

The hockey game was fairly fun, the Predators lost unfortunately but it was a good time regardless and got to meet a few other fellow admits and a few of the current students who were hosts. After that a bunch of us went downtown to Paradise Park which is a bar themed like a trailer park. There was a band that played and a fair number of people from the city. If anyone is coming from somewhere that has smoking outlawed in bars you might be in for a slight shock, there were a fair number of people smoking inside. I took off a little before midnight because we had an early start (7:30 0_o), but had a good time nonetheless!

Another note: of the two cabs that I was in, both only accepted cash so be warned!

Friday morning, had your typical spread of law school breakfasts. A bunch of fruit, some pastries, coffee, water, maybe some juice? The Dean kicked things off at 7:50ish and I was impressed with him. Next was a criminal law class that we sat it on, the students who I spoke with the night before warned us that of the professors they had, she was probably the worst, she wasn't horrible by anything I could tell, and it was nice to witness that she picked out two students and directed the bulk of the questions towards them. Both were prepared and the discussion the class engaged in was interesting.

Next there was a panel of faculty re: clerkships, clinics, and the career center. I was very impressed with Michael Bressman who is heavily invested in the Federal clerkship hunt for students. He was very engaging and is obviously very passionate about it (which was important to me, I'm starting my gunner ways now in this direction 8) ). The rest of the panel where obviously passionate too, but some current students later did admit that they wish the school had a little more in the way of clinics, but that they do think the school is working to expand the program.

The next round of faculty were involved in various concentrations and where very interesting but also obviously very busy, several had to come in late as they were teaching classes and a couple had to leave early for the same. However as they are professors it was obvious once they started talking they really continued with it and obviously were very passionate about the students despite being so busy.

Lunch was pretty unremarkable, it was probably the blandest lunch at any ASP I have been to (not to say it wasn't bad!), but they just had pre-made sandwiches in boxes you could grab quickly rather than a full on catered spread like some schools have done. Then took a tour of the building and the immediate campus. Campus was beautiful and is apparently an arboretum for the state with tons of trees around. The law school building is also beautiful imo (although the library was a little small.... maybe Cooley has a point...) Students said that you can study in any of the 5 or so libraries on campus and many stated that they do routinely.

After the tour was a Mock Class, that was very impressive to me. The professor was very engaging and brought a lot of students into the discussion, but at the same time kept the class moving forward and pointed in the right direction (granted the cases were relatively simple).

Then they stuck us in a room with something like 5 current students on a panel, who answered questions. They all seemed quite happy (and the 3L's I believe all had jobs lined up!, while the 1L and 2L's had summer things already planned). They emphasized that the school does very well all over the south and fairly well in the rest of the country (although every school has tried to push this on me so far).

Afterwards was a student organization fair which some orgs prepped for and some obviously did not :lol: overall what you would expect. The ACS did have a member and a table (I think he had a small thing of cookies). I didn't see if the Federalist society was present, but I'm sure they were.

Finally there was beer/wine/and food at Blackacre, which was a very good time, chatting with more admitted students and some more current students who showed up. Immediatly afterwards was the Talent Show which was fantastic, some people said that a few things ended up on Youtube (I haven't been able to find it, but if anyone did please post or PM me!) The talents included some racy comedy that was absolutely hilarious, and some a capella, there was a competition between all 4 years (yes admitted students included) to have a volunteer do karaoke, which was some of the most hilariously awful stuff I have ever seen, everyone seemed to love how bad it was too!

To wrap it all up I went out to a couple of bars that were within walking distance of campus with some other admits, and saw some other current students and a certain member of the admissions staff out and about.

If I missed anything please ask or chime in!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:52 am

WDH wrote:Alright so here it goes! Hopefully don't out myself too easily!

The hockey game was fairly fun, the Predators lost unfortunately but it was a good time regardless and got to meet a few other fellow admits and a few of the current students who were hosts. After that a bunch of us went downtown to Paradise Park which is a bar themed like a trailer park. There was a band that played and a fair number of people from the city. If anyone is coming from somewhere that has smoking outlawed in bars you might be in for a slight shock, there were a fair number of people smoking inside. I took off a little before midnight because we had an early start (7:30 0_o), but had a good time nonetheless!

Another note: of the two cabs that I was in, both only accepted cash so be warned!

Friday morning, had your typical spread of law school breakfasts. A bunch of fruit, some pastries, coffee, water, maybe some juice? The Dean kicked things off at 7:50ish and I was impressed with him. Next was a criminal law class that we sat it on, the students who I spoke with the night before warned us that of the professors they had, she was probably the worst, she wasn't horrible by anything I could tell, and it was nice to witness that she picked out two students and directed the bulk of the questions towards them. Both were prepared and the discussion the class engaged in was interesting.

Next there was a panel of faculty re: clerkships, clinics, and the career center. I was very impressed with Michael Bressman who is heavily invested in the Federal clerkship hunt for students. He was very engaging and is obviously very passionate about it (which was important to me, I'm starting my gunner ways now in this direction 8) ). The rest of the panel where obviously passionate too, but some current students later did admit that they wish the school had a little more in the way of clinics, but that they do think the school is working to expand the program.

The next round of faculty were involved in various concentrations and where very interesting but also obviously very busy, several had to come in late as they were teaching classes and a couple had to leave early for the same. However as they are professors it was obvious once they started talking they really continued with it and obviously were very passionate about the students despite being so busy.

Lunch was pretty unremarkable, it was probably the blandest lunch at any ASP I have been to (not to say it wasn't bad!), but they just had pre-made sandwiches in boxes you could grab quickly rather than a full on catered spread like some schools have done. Then took a tour of the building and the immediate campus. Campus was beautiful and is apparently an arboretum for the state with tons of trees around. The law school building is also beautiful imo (although the library was a little small.... maybe Cooley has a point...) Students said that you can study in any of the 5 or so libraries on campus and many stated that they do routinely.

After the tour was a Mock Class, that was very impressive to me. The professor was very engaging and brought a lot of students into the discussion, but at the same time kept the class moving forward and pointed in the right direction (granted the cases were relatively simple).

Then they stuck us in a room with something like 5 current students on a panel, who answered questions. They all seemed quite happy (and the 3L's I believe all had jobs lined up!, while the 1L and 2L's had summer things already planned). They emphasized that the school does very well all over the south and fairly well in the rest of the country (although every school has tried to push this on me so far).

Afterwards was a student organization fair which some orgs prepped for and some obviously did not :lol: overall what you would expect. The ACS did have a member and a table (I think he had a small thing of cookies). I didn't see if the Federalist society was present, but I'm sure they were.

Finally there was beer/wine/and food at Blackacre, which was a very good time, chatting with more admitted students and some more current students who showed up. Immediatly afterwards was the Talent Show which was fantastic, some people said that a few things ended up on Youtube (I haven't been able to find it, but if anyone did please post or PM me!) The talents included some racy comedy that was absolutely hilarious, and some a capella, there was a competition between all 4 years (yes admitted students included) to have a volunteer do karaoke, which was some of the most hilariously awful stuff I have ever seen, everyone seemed to love how bad it was too!

To wrap it all up I went out to a couple of bars that were within walking distance of campus with some other admits, and saw some other current students and a certain member of the admissions staff out and about.

If I missed anything please ask or chime in!
Thank you for such a detailed account of your experience! Really appreciate it :mrgreen:

And good to know that even 1L's have their summer things already planned!

WDH

New

Post by WDH » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:31 pm

If I do end up at Vandy I hope this thread stays active throughout my three years there!

I gots to gunnn somewhere!

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Post by FrankGallagher » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:33 pm

the April ASW completely sold me. my other choices were Minnesota and WUSTL with significantly higher scholarships, but I felt Vanderbilt was too good to pass up. everything about the program was impressive

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 pm

WDH wrote: Then they stuck us in a room with something like 5 current students on a panel, who answered questions. They all seemed quite happy (and the 3L's I believe all had jobs lined up!,
I hope you realize they put those people on the panel BECAUSE they had jobs lined up and are happy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RemyMarathe

Bronze

Post by RemyMarathe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:
WDH wrote: Then they stuck us in a room with something like 5 current students on a panel, who answered questions. They all seemed quite happy (and the 3L's I believe all had jobs lined up!,
I hope you realize they put those people on the panel BECAUSE they had jobs lined up and are happy.
At the 3/15 ASW, someone on the panel openly admitted to this, and also said they chose panelists who had jobs outside the SE.

WDH

New

Post by WDH » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:18 pm

RemyMarathe wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
At the 3/15 ASW, someone on the panel openly admitted to this, and also said they chose panelists who had jobs outside the SE.

I 100% realize this. The every so slight difference though is at other ASP's that I have been to, it was rare that the panel was filled with students with jobs lined up.

It's also worth pointing out that Vandy's was the last program I went to so their students have also had those extra weeks to find jobs.

marbellie

New

Post by marbellie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Checking in!
I'm so surprised that I'm attending (never considered staying in the south), but I'm glad that I stumbled upon this school :)

marbellie

New

Post by marbellie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:36 pm

[quote]Fall 2013
Orientation: August 15-19
First Day of Classes: August 22
Fall Break: November 19-27
Last Day of Classes: December 2
Exam Period: December 5-16

Spring 2014
First Day of Classes: January 9
MLK Day: January 16
Spring Break: March 3-11
Last Day of Classes: April 20
Exam Period: April 23-May 4
[/quote]

Actually First-year/LL.M first day of classes and orientation is August 12-16...the stats may be old/incorrect because Vandy's site has last year's academic calendar up~

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:41 pm

marbellie wrote:first day of classes and orientation is August 12-16
Jesus, that is early.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:30 pm

shntn wrote:
Jesus, that is early.
God...That's so early...

I just took those dates from the Orbiter Dictum... where did you find the dates?

blueruditio

New

Post by blueruditio » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:59 am

shntn wrote:
Jesus, that is early.

From the admissions office (just a little bit off from the OD)...

Fall 2013

Spring 2014
Exam Period: April 21-May 2

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:02 am

blueruditio wrote:
shntn wrote:
Jesus, that is early.

From the admissions office (just a little bit off from the OD)...

Fall 2013

Spring 2014