UC Irvine Class of 2016 - Updated Poll Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)

ASW Thoughts

Amazing, already submitted my SIR!
59%
Good, not great, but positive impression
3%
Just ok, I'll probably attend elsewhere
13%
Didn't enjoy the weekend at all
No votes
The food could have been better
3%
Where were the drinks at Crystal Cove?!?
22%

Total votes: 32

teiswei

Silver

Re: UC Irvine Class of 2016

Post by teiswei » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 am

BruCam wrote:Does anyone know where US News got the tuition number they are using ($51,211)? I know it's different than both the in and out of state tuition for 12-13. Wonder if they are planning a hike?
It also says it's private... I could be wrong but I thought all UCs were public.

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 pm

teiswei wrote:
BruCam wrote:Does anyone know where US News got the tuition number they are using ($51,211)? I know it's different than both the in and out of state tuition for 12-13. Wonder if they are planning a hike?
It also says it's private... I could be wrong but I thought all UCs were public.
I noticed some these inconsistencies as well. UC is definitely a public institution.

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 pm

gitguy wrote:
teiswei wrote:
I noticed some these inconsistencies as well. UC is definitely a public institution.
On a positive note, UCI's numbers were T30 or better. Numbers were actually better than schools like Alabama, ASU, and Indiana. As long as employment and bar numbers stay solid, initial ranking will be pretty good.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:20 pm

i hope for next year's methodology, US news won't give as much weight to peers/attnys/judges' reviews or else UCI may not make the top 30 like we should based on the #s:

25% - Peers assessment
15% - Lawyers/Judges assessment
14% - job 9m out
12.5% - Median LSAT
10% - Median GPA
9.75% - $ spent per student
4% - job at graduation
3% - student/faculty ratio
2.5% - acceptance rate (UCH 23%, UCD 24%)
2% - bar passage rate
0.75% - library
2% - smth else i left out i guess

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 pm

99.9luft wrote:i hope for next year's methodology, US news won't give as much weight to peers/attnys/judges' reviews or else UCI may not make the top 30 like we should based on the #s:

25% - Peers assessment
14% - job 9m out
12.5% - Median LSAT
10% - Median GPA
4% - job at graduation
2% - bar passage rate
0.75% - library
I actually think we would get a good score for lawyer/judge assessment and peers assessment. Considering laywers/judges will all give a high score due to dean Chem's presence. Peer assessment might not be as high, especially since people may be upset by the presence of a new school, but they have a great faculty, I feel that has to count for something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:40 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
99.9luft wrote:i hope for next year's methodology, US news won't give as much weight to peers/attnys/judges' reviews or else UCI may not make the top 30 like we should based on the #s:

25% - Peers assessment
14% - job 9m out
12.5% - Median LSAT
10% - Median GPA
4% - job at graduation
2% - bar passage rate
0.75% - library
I actually think we would get a good score for lawyer/judge assessment and peers assessment. Considering laywers/judges will all give a high score due to dean Chem's presence. Peer assessment might not be as high, especially since people may be upset by the presence of a new school, but they have a great faculty, I feel that has to count for something.
being the devil's advocate, how many judges have been actually exposed to UCI kids? by the time the ranking come out, these judges, however many there would be, would have been exposed to just 4 classes of UCI kids (counting 1L summers). Is that really enough to matter in the ranking? I feel like most judges would mark "Don't know" on their opinion in the ranking survey.

Merylian

Silver

Post by Merylian » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:36 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:

25% - Peers assessment
14% - job 9m out
12.5% - Median LSAT
10% - Median GPA
4% - job at graduation
2% - bar passage rate
0.75% - library
being the devil's advocate, how many judges have been actually exposed to UCI kids? by the time the ranking come out, these judges, however many there would be, would have been exposed to just 4 classes of UCI kids (counting 1L summers). Is that really enough to matter in the ranking? I feel like most judges would mark "Don't know" on their opinion in the ranking survey.
Someone on TLS was complaining recently that when they mark "don't know", it doesn't negatively impact the score - it just isn't included at all. If that's so, it might be a positive for UCI. Of course, I don't know if it's true or not..."something I read on a forum a couple of months ago" isn't usually the best source.

EDIT: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... s-rankings It's true. Right after I posted this I chastised myself for being too lazy to go look it up and went to find it.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Merylian wrote: Someone on TLS was complaining recently that when they mark "don't know", it doesn't negatively impact the score - it just isn't included at all. If that's so, it might be a positive for UCI. Of course, I don't know if it's true or not..."something I read on a forum a couple of months ago" isn't usually the best source.

EDIT: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... s-rankings It's true. Right after I posted this I chastised myself for being too lazy to go look it up and went to find it.
thanks for that, Merylian. The situation seems less dire now, haha.
A school's score is the average of all the respondents who rated it. Responses of "don't know" counted neither for nor against a school.

canyoudigit

New

Post by canyoudigit » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:48 pm

heyoo first time poster, looking forward to ASW. I'm about 70% sure I'm going to UCI next year, hopefully the ASW will put me over the top. Does anyone know much about where students live? I've heard Palo Verde isn't the best but I'm not sure what options are like off-campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 pm

canyoudigit wrote:heyoo first time poster, looking forward to ASW. I'm about 70% sure I'm going to UCI next year, hopefully the ASW will put me over the top. Does anyone know much about where students live? I've heard Palo Verde isn't the best but I'm not sure what options are like off-campus.
they just talked about housing options in the Facebook group (see original post in this thread for the link)

canyoudigit

New

Post by canyoudigit » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:16 pm

99.9luft wrote:
canyoudigit wrote:heyoo first time poster, looking forward to ASW. I'm about 70% sure I'm going to UCI next year, hopefully the ASW will put me over the top. Does anyone know much about where students live? I've heard Palo Verde isn't the best but I'm not sure what options are like off-campus.
they just talked about housing options in the Facebook group (see original post in this thread for the link)
awesome, I'll check it out.

Ghost_of_Tupac

New

Post by Ghost_of_Tupac » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:26 am

March 15, 2013

Thank you for your email and I had not forgotten your request for reconsideration J. Congratulations on your continued good fortune with other law schools, nonetheless, we appreciate your sustained interest in UCI Law and your plans for the community if you do decide to join us.

I have just re-read your application and I am even more impressed than I was in during our initial review. I understand what it means to be a first generation college graduate and valuing the family values that sustain our personal and professional growth. I am confident that you’ll do great things in law school and ultimately, in the profession, therefore, I am happy to inform you that we’ve increased your scholarship by $5,000. Your award is now valued at $40,000 and I expect to see that SIR submitted. Welcome, Enrico and I hope you can come to ASW!

Warm regards,
Dean Austin

PS Happy Friday!

Have a good weekend everybody! See you all in Orange County.

Merylian

Silver

Post by Merylian » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Ahhh I think I can come to Admitted Students Weekend after all! My lovely flight attendant friend is going to fly me on standby with his buddy pass...so the cost of a ticket is something reasonable under the reimbursement plan, instead of the $800+ dollars it would have been. Have to make sure I can have the days off from work this Monday, but I'm now fairly sure I'll be seeing ya'll there in a couple of weeks :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:15 pm

UCI placed 12th in terms of employment on Law School Transparency: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=other

UCI profile: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=irvine

teiswei

Silver

Re: UC Irvine Class of 2016 - Updated Poll

Post by teiswei » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Updated poll

Observant_Poster

New

Post by Observant_Poster » Mon May 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Anyone hear from housing yet, or know when we are supposed to receive our options? Sometime this month, correct?

Aristophanes

New

Post by Aristophanes » Tue May 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Observant_Poster wrote:Anyone hear from housing yet, or know when we are supposed to receive our options? Sometime this month, correct?
Yes, we're supposed to hear by mid-May, according to the checklist:

http://www.law.uci.edu/prospective/admi ... estic.html

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Come show Dr. Dre what a bad job he's doing ITT:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”