UC Davis c/o 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
kdog1147

Re: UC Davis c/o 2016

Postby kdog1147 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:04 am

acpf29 wrote:
kdog1147 wrote:I have to say getting accepted to UC Davis came out of the blue for me. With a 3.19 UGPA and 166 LSAT I hadn't expected to get in but now that I have I'm very seriously considering going. I still haven't heard from Davis about scholarships and Pepperdine which is my other serious candidate offered me $20,000 yr. I would really like to hear more about the student life at Davis. I'm from FL and so I can't easily visit the campus or the area.

Hey kdog! Congrats!! :) I'm in the same boat about visiting-- I live in PA and am currently working a full time job, so my first time on campus will probably be move-in day. Reading about other peoples' reactions to Davis makes me feel great about the school though. Go take a look at the other UC Davis thread (the admissions one). The advice for future students in the admitted student page was also helpful and makes other Davis students seem nice. I'll be eager to hear reactions from people who attend the ASW, too!

I have to agree after doing more research I feel really confident about student life. Now I just have to wait and see about financial aid. Really hoping I can at least get some off

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:07 pm

acpf29 wrote:Hey kdog! Congrats!! :) I'm in the same boat about visiting-- I live in PA and am currently working a full time job, so my first time on campus will probably be move-in day. Reading about other peoples' reactions to Davis makes me feel great about the school though. Go take a look at the other UC Davis thread (the admissions one). The advice for future students in the admitted student page was also helpful and makes other Davis students seem nice. I'll be eager to hear reactions from people who attend the ASW, too!

I grew up in PA and spent 18 years there... What part?

acpf29

Postby acpf29 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:30 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
acpf29 wrote:Hey kdog! Congrats!! :) I'm in the same boat about visiting-- I live in PA and am currently working a full time job, so my first time on campus will probably be move-in day. Reading about other peoples' reactions to Davis makes me feel great about the school though. Go take a look at the other UC Davis thread (the admissions one). The advice for future students in the admitted student page was also helpful and makes other Davis students seem nice. I'll be eager to hear reactions from people who attend the ASW, too!

Ooh awesome! I live in Reading but did my undergrad at Pitt. Where are you from?

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:30 pm

acpf29 wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:

Ooh awesome! I live in Reading but did my undergrad at Pitt. Where are you from?

I grew up right on the Delaware River, about 30 minutes north of Philly. I know several of my high school classmates who went to Pitt. Nice school!

acpf29

Postby acpf29 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:49 am

WisemanAEKDB wrote:I grew up right on the Delaware River, about 30 minutes north of Philly. I know several of my high school classmates who went to Pitt. Nice school!

Haha thinking about being that close to Jersey makes me a little uncomfortable ;)

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:01 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:Hi friends! I am 85% certain that UC Davis is where I'll be this fall, and I was just wondering if anyone else was feeling as confident. I know that their admissions process is notoriously slower, so it may be a while before anyone joins me here, but I'll wait it out. I'm so excited!

Hey, cool!

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:38 pm

So I just got a text message from the Dean, congratulating me on my acceptance. Haven't received any other form of acceptance, and my status checker still says "Under Review"... this happen to anybody else?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:40 pm

unclepete wrote:So I just got a text message from the Dean, congratulating me on my acceptance. Haven't received any other form of acceptance, and my status checker still says "Under Review"... this happen to anybody else?

It happened to me too. You are in, it will update at 6pm pst.

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
unclepete wrote:So I just got a text message from the Dean, congratulating me on my acceptance. Haven't received any other form of acceptance, and my status checker still says "Under Review"... this happen to anybody else?

It happened to me too. You are in, it will update at 6pm pst.

Thanks! Any word on financial aid?

cgyoder@gmail.com

Postby cgyoder@gmail.com » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Financial aid came through April 1st. You need to sign in to the "admitted students" link to access your awards.

jingyuan

Postby jingyuan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:19 am

Congratulations! You have already got your offer? When do you get it?~

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:51 am

jingyuan wrote:

Congratulations! You have already got your offer? When do you get it?~

Thanks! My status checker updated to "Decision mailed"- so I`m guessing I`ll be receiving something today or tomorrow (I`m in Southern California)

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 am

We have to add parent information to the need based application? Suckfest

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:29 pm

unclepete wrote:We have to add parent information to the need based application? Suckfest

Yeah. My high-income father who I've been financially independent for the past 3 years totally wrecked my grant aid. Sucks a lot and I mentioned this while attempting to negotiate scholarships but they didn't care.

md22

Postby md22 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:51 pm

I'm really weighing Davis as an option right now, but the employment prospects vs. cost scare the hell out of me. I like UCD for a myriad of reasons but I can't shake the feeling that it might be a financial misstep!

cgyoder@gmail.com

Postby cgyoder@gmail.com » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 am

md22 wrote:I'm really weighing Davis as an option right now, but the employment prospects vs. cost scare the hell out of me. I like UCD for a myriad of reasons but I can't shake the feeling that it might be a financial misstep!

I agree that full tuition is prohibitive. Without significant grant aid, it wouldn't be worth it. However, I personally find the job statistics to be encouraging. 70% employed in long term salaried positions requiring or enhanced by bar passage. Salaries might not be as high as at higher ranked schools, but that is to be expected. Davis owns the Sacramento legal market, and has strong connections with the Bay Area and Los Angeles. Obviously though, times are tough all around, and good jobs will certainly be hard to come by. At times, this whole process feels like placing an expensive bet. Good luck with your decision.

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 am

So I was admitted late last week. If I get my fin aid app in, say, today (it's taken awhile to get parents tax info), would I even have my financial aid award by the first deposit deadline? How quickly have people received this?

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:14 pm

unclepete wrote:So I was admitted late last week. If I get my fin aid app in, say, today (it's taken awhile to get parents tax info), would I even have my financial aid award by the first deposit deadline? How quickly have people received this?

They send you a need based estimate almost immediately. Merit took forever and a day to get back.

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Since I was just admitted last week, I`m contemplating asking for an extension for the deadline, as it literally only gave me a week and it's a lot to think about. Anybody have any thoughts?

acpf29

Postby acpf29 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 pm

unclepete wrote:Since I was just admitted last week, I`m contemplating asking for an extension for the deadline, as it literally only gave me a week and it's a lot to think about. Anybody have any thoughts?

Yeah, I think that's fair and they'll most likely give you an extension, especially if you're still waiting to hear from other schools

North

Postby North » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”