UC Davis c/o 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
FortunaGubernans

Bronze

UC Davis c/o 2016

Post by FortunaGubernans » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi friends! I am 85% certain that UC Davis is where I'll be this fall, and I was just wondering if anyone else was feeling as confident. I know that their admissions process is notoriously slower, so it may be a while before anyone joins me here, but I'll wait it out. I'm so excited!

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Re: UC Davis c/o 2016

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:41 pm

I'd say at this point, it's 50/50 for me. I will be attending the ASW in April, however the COA is pretty daunting. A scholarship would help me out an absolute ton, and would probably sway me to attend. Also, if I get off of the waitlist at UW, I'm probably going there.

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:46 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:I'd say at this point, it's 50/50 for me. I will be attending the ASW in April, however the COA is pretty daunting. A scholarship would help me out an absolute ton, and would probably sway me to attend. Also, if I get off of the waitlist at UW, I'm probably going there.
I got waitlisted at UW too! I decided not to stay on it, though. And yeah, the COA is a bit insane. Finances are the only reason I'm not 100%. If they don't come through, I'll probably be at Washington and Lee (in Virginia). Possibly William and Mary. Anything else still in the mix for you?

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Yes, U of Utah, as it's where I am currently. Also, Hastings and one or two more on my list. If I magically got into USC, sign me up. But I doubt it. I'm very content with Davis or a few others on my list though.

acpf29

New

Post by acpf29 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi everybody! :)

I'm turning in my seat deposit this week-- definitely going to UC Davis. I'm super excited! Where did everyone do their undergrad?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:19 pm

acpf29 wrote:Hi everybody! :)

I'm turning in my seat deposit this week-- definitely going to UC Davis. I'm super excited! Where did everyone do their undergrad?
Congrats! University of Utah here. I'll be attending the ASW coming up in April. I'd put my deposit down tomorrow, but I would like to get a little reassured about costs first. I'm excited to get out to Davis though.

acpf29

New

Post by acpf29 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:31 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote: Congrats! University of Utah here. I'll be attending the ASW coming up in April. I'd put my deposit down tomorrow, but I would like to get a little reassured about costs first. I'm excited to get out to Davis though.
Thanks! Congrats to you too!! Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd definitely like to know if I was going to get a little money, too. :roll:

Have you visited the campus yet?

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:15 pm

acpf29 wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote: Congrats! University of Utah here. I'll be attending the ASW coming up in April. I'd put my deposit down tomorrow, but I would like to get a little reassured about costs first. I'm excited to get out to Davis though.
Thanks! Congrats to you too!! Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd definitely like to know if I was going to get a little money, too. :roll:

Have you visited the campus yet?
Nope. I have been to the area a few times though, passing through on road trips. It's a great area, and I hear the campus is pretty awesome. I'm very excited for ASW.

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Welcome! I've walked around the campus, but I didn't talk to anyone because I wasn't admitted yet and I'm shy. It is really nice though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cgyoder@gmail.com

New

Post by cgyoder@gmail.com » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Hey all, Occidental College here. I got into Davis back in January. However, for me, the full cost of tuition is prohibitive. The financial aid department called me and said that "a preliminary examination of my file indicated I would likely receive a substantial scholarship." Has anyone else had this experience? On the one hand, it's good news, but on the other, it's not an official offer. The only way I'll go to Davis is if I do get some aid, because it is just so darn expensive. I'm wondering if they are just blowing smoke so I'll throw down the deposit. Any insights into this experience would be appreciated. Other than that, congratulations everyone. Davis is a fantastic school and I feel so lucky to have been admitted.

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:13 pm

cgyoder@gmail.com wrote:Hey all, Occidental College here. I got into Davis back in January. However, for me, the full cost of tuition is prohibitive. The financial aid department called me and said that "a preliminary examination of my file indicated I would likely receive a substantial scholarship." Has anyone else had this experience? On the one hand, it's good news, but on the other, it's not an official offer. The only way I'll go to Davis is if I do get some aid, because it is just so darn expensive. I'm wondering if they are just blowing smoke so I'll throw down the deposit. Any insights into this experience would be appreciated. Other than that, congratulations everyone. Davis is a fantastic school and I feel so lucky to have been admitted.
After completing NeedAccess, they determined I was eligible for a massive grant. "Preliminary examination" as well, but gave me specifics of $$. Money will be the only way I can consider attending, as I have full ride offers at good schools. That being said, I'd love to attend Davis. Pray for a scholarship and I might just be moving this August.

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:29 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
cgyoder@gmail.com wrote:Hey all, Occidental College here. I got into Davis back in January. However, for me, the full cost of tuition is prohibitive. The financial aid department called me and said that "a preliminary examination of my file indicated I would likely receive a substantial scholarship." Has anyone else had this experience? On the one hand, it's good news, but on the other, it's not an official offer. The only way I'll go to Davis is if I do get some aid, because it is just so darn expensive. I'm wondering if they are just blowing smoke so I'll throw down the deposit. Any insights into this experience would be appreciated. Other than that, congratulations everyone. Davis is a fantastic school and I feel so lucky to have been admitted.
After completing NeedAccess, they determined I was eligible for a massive grant. "Preliminary examination" as well, but gave me specifics of $$. Money will be the only way I can consider attending, as I have full ride offers at good schools. That being said, I'd love to attend Davis. Pray for a scholarship and I might just be moving this August.
My experience has been exactly this.

acpf29

New

Post by acpf29 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:49 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
How did you find out about the "massive grant" you were likely to receive from the NeedAccess? I completed my NeedAccess but haven't heard anything about it yet. Did you call the fin aid office?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:55 pm

I'm UCD undergrad alumni so if you guys have any questions about the city, where to live, where to eat, I'll gladly answer them (:

A good resource for info on the city is: http://daviswiki.org/Front_Page

Check it out, Davis has a really interesting history (especially when it comes to the Chiles Mansion: http://daviswiki.org/Chiles_Mansion)

zzzzurzolo

New

Post by zzzzurzolo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:54 am

Hello everyone :D

I looked at the status checker on a whim this evening and it turns out they just sent out my acceptance letter earlier in the day!

Davis has always been one of my top choices, and after visiting the campus recently I was even more impressed. Compared to other schools I visited like UCLA and Boalt, Davis definitely had the most congenial and welcoming atmosphere. I was also skeptical of being in such a small town, but I actually liked it quite a bit and driving up from San Francisco took under an hour which was nice. I even had time to stop in Napa on the way back to SF for a wine tasting!

During my visit I toured the recently renovated building, met with admissions and even got to speak with Dean Johnson. Everyone was incredibly kind and considerate with their answers to my questions. I was blown away at how they took the time to accomodate me.

I strongly urge anyone on the fence considering Davis to go visit. Nearly every student and alum I have spoken to about Davis emphasizes how supportive the school is especially compared to horror stories from friends elsewhere.

As a Los Angeles native I'm still waiting to hear from USC (Dean Rasmussen was very welcoming too), but if I don't get in I'll still be incredibly happy and proud to go to Davis Law!

Good luck to everyone else and maybe I'll see some of you in the Bay soon!

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:37 pm

acpf29 wrote: How did you find out about the "massive grant" you were likely to receive from the NeedAccess? I completed my NeedAccess but haven't heard anything about it yet. Did you call the fin aid office?
I got my letter almost exactly 3 hours after I submitted my NeedAccess. No idea why yours is taking longer. That's rough and you have my sympathy.
xjustyoursmile wrote:I'm UCD undergrad alumni so if you guys have any questions about the city, where to live, where to eat, I'll gladly answer them (:

A good resource for info on the city is: http://daviswiki.org/Front_Page

Check it out, Davis has a really interesting history (especially when it comes to the Chiles Mansion: http://daviswiki.org/Chiles_Mansion)
Yeah, how many people live in Sacramento, and does their social life suffer for it? It's like half the rent out there so I'm pretty strongly considering it, but not totally sure I'm up for a 20 minute commute every day. Any insight on this?

Also, welcome and congrats zzzzurzolo!

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:13 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:
Yeah, how many people live in Sacramento, and does their social life suffer for it? It's like half the rent out there so I'm pretty strongly considering it, but not totally sure I'm up for a 20 minute commute every day. Any insight on this?
I'm not too sure about the exact amount of people that lived in Sac but a lot of people do commute, sometimes from an hour away. Talking to the hour away folks they do mention that the commute constricts on their social life. coming from Sac though, I'd think it would be less so. The only problem is that that '20 min' commute can easily turn into 40 min depending on what time it is. The highway to Sac from Davis can also be incredibly confusing and crowded. You can easily merge into a totally different highway at one point on accident if you're not paying attention. I'd say it would be annoying but totally doable. I'd also recommend looking in Woodland for apartment because it's an easier commute, the road takes you straight into Davis and it doesn't get as crowded.

The rent in Davis can actually get pretty cheap depending on where you look. For a little while I paid 200/month for a shared room. I recommend South or North Davis. West Davis is really expensive. There are also a couple of downtown gems that get overlooked but are cheap for what its worth. I can give you apartment names if you really want if you give me a price range.

I should also mention that if you're going to commute instead of taking the bus or biking from within the city you're going to need a parking pass which can be expensive. Parking can also be really hard to find and you may have to walk from one end of campus to the other end (and campus is huge) just because you couldn't find a close parking space. Parking spaces are hard to find from 10am-2pm then it lets up a little. I think some parking spaces at the Mondavi Center which is super nearby to the law school may be more free though.

Edit: And just to give some background to my knowledge I've lived in 4 different apartments in different parts of Davis and have driven, biked, and bussed to school. I also have had to commute to Woodland and Sac for my job.
Last edited by xjustyoursmile on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cgyoder@gmail.com

New

Post by cgyoder@gmail.com » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Regarding the topic of "preliminary" scholarship offers, I called Davis a few days back and asked them to clarify the significance of an unofficial offer. The person I spoke with at the financial aid office said that unless there are substantial discrepancies between your need access application, and your FASFA (which they have only now begun processing), then the preliminary offer will stand. If Davis is anything like Hastings and UCLA which I've been in touch with, the majority of aid they give is need based. The financial aid officer said they are doing everything possible to ensure we get our official offers before April 1st, which is around the time we'll have to start making deposits. She was well aware that we need this information to fully consider Davis.

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 pm

Thank you, xjustmysmile. That's all extremely helpful advice. I'm PM'ing you with more specifics because you seem really helpful and nice.

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:53 pm

FortunaGubernans wrote:Thank you, xjustmysmile. That's all extremely helpful advice. I'm PM'ing you with more specifics because you seem really helpful and nice.
PMed you back (:

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:14 am

Just sent in my RSVP for ASW. Is anyone else going/ attending the Sacramento reception on Friday? Sounds like it'll be fun. Also, $150 travel reimbursement is the best thing ever. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zzzzurzolo

New

Post by zzzzurzolo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:51 pm

@Fortuna

Thanks for the welcome. :)
WisemanAEKDB wrote:Just sent in my RSVP for ASW. Is anyone else going/ attending the Sacramento reception on Friday? Sounds like it'll be fun. Also, $150 travel reimbursement is the best thing ever. :D
I've already visited recently but it would be cool to meet potential fellow students.

Speaking of that, I just set up a Facebook Group for admitted students: https://www.facebook.com/groups/296888123772674/

Feel free to join and if anyone else wants to help admin the page let me know.

kdog1147

New

Post by kdog1147 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 am

I have to say getting accepted to UC Davis came out of the blue for me. With a 3.19 UGPA and 166 LSAT I hadn't expected to get in but now that I have I'm very seriously considering going. I still haven't heard from Davis about scholarships and Pepperdine which is my other serious candidate offered me $20,000 yr. I would really like to hear more about the student life at Davis. I'm from FL and so I can't easily visit the campus or the area.

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:01 pm

kdog1147 wrote:I have to say getting accepted to UC Davis came out of the blue for me. With a 3.19 UGPA and 166 LSAT I hadn't expected to get in but now that I have I'm very seriously considering going. I still haven't heard from Davis about scholarships and Pepperdine which is my other serious candidate offered me $20,000 yr. I would really like to hear more about the student life at Davis. I'm from FL and so I can't easily visit the campus or the area.
Welcome, kdog! And congrats!

acpf29

New

Post by acpf29 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 am

kdog1147 wrote:I have to say getting accepted to UC Davis came out of the blue for me. With a 3.19 UGPA and 166 LSAT I hadn't expected to get in but now that I have I'm very seriously considering going. I still haven't heard from Davis about scholarships and Pepperdine which is my other serious candidate offered me $20,000 yr. I would really like to hear more about the student life at Davis. I'm from FL and so I can't easily visit the campus or the area.
Hey kdog! Congrats!! :) I'm in the same boat about visiting-- I live in PA and am currently working a full time job, so my first time on campus will probably be move-in day. Reading about other peoples' reactions to Davis makes me feel great about the school though. Go take a look at the other UC Davis thread (the admissions one). The advice for future students in the admitted student page was also helpful and makes other Davis students seem nice. I'll be eager to hear reactions from people who attend the ASW, too!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”