University of Kentucky c/o 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
togepi

Re: University of Kentucky c/o 2016

Postby togepi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:08 am

Bridle Creek was low when I checked it out, but there was only 2 bathrooms for the 3 bedrooms. The layout looked pretty nice and reminded me of my undergrad town home with two bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs.

The main thing I want is something that's walkable to the law campus. Price comes second for me.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:57 am

One of the better options near campus is the Lexington Theological Seminary. It's literally right across the street from the College of Law. There isn't much info on the site, but you can PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the floorplans they sent me. I e-mailed them as a followup after putting my application in, and I haven't heard back yet.

Other than that, I haven't found a lot of very good options near campus. I'd dig walking to class everyday, but the area seems to be inundated with undergraduates. I know those at UK like to party. I just don't want to be around that, and will drive to school if necessary.

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 am

Officially withdrew today :( Franklin Runge has been so helpful throughout this entire process, I feel terrible saying goodbye to him.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:54 am

Which school did you withdraw in favor of?

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:22 am

Blankets wrote:Which school did you withdraw in favor of?

PM'd

thecollege

Postby thecollege » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Thought I'd post in hopes of getting this thread more active. I paid my deposit. Riding out waitlists, but probably still going to be at Kentucky. Anyone else pretty sure they're going here? I'm excited about apartment hunting. Lexington has some great options!

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:10 pm

It looks like it's just us, minus togepi.

I'm not at all excited about the apartment search. Mostly because I'm still unsure as to how annoying it'll be to find parking and the like. Plus I don't really know where to look. Assuming getting to school will be relatively simple, I think I'd like to get roommates and look into Bridle Creek or Park Place.

thecollege

Postby thecollege » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Haha well, I guess I just am excited to finally move to Kentucky. I can't decide if I want to live downtown or closer to campus, but will probably just get a one bedroom.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:19 pm

thecollege wrote:Haha well, I guess I just am excited to finally move to Kentucky. I can't decide if I want to live downtown or closer to campus, but will probably just get a one bedroom.

I go back and forth on my preferences in the roommate/no roommate inner discussion. When it comes down to it, I'll probably end up going solo, at least for the first year. But then again, roommates can be fun and make misery less miserable.

Where are you from? It's weird to hear people say "excited to finally move to Kentucky." I have a positive opinion of the state, but it's not something I'm used to seeing from people not from the state.

thecollege

Postby thecollege » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm from Illinois, but a lot of my family is from Kentucky. Just from spending a lot of time there throughout my life I knew it's where I wanted to eventually settle down.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:43 am

Yup. That's why I decided on UK. I sent apps to schools in other states, but most of those schools were all regional as well. I wasn't born and raised here or anything, but I've definitely come to love the place.

st21

Postby st21 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 am

Hey guys, I'm most likely heading down to UK as well this fall. Riding out a few waitlists but odds are im moving out west. I've never been to the state, and not really sure what to expect. Everyone seems to have good things to say about the area though so that's always a good sign. Need to start the housing search asap.

On a side note, being from Illinois did you apply / consider UIUC as a possible option?

MrSwaggums

Postby MrSwaggums » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Still heading to UK. Looking at some 1br places near campus.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:21 pm

MrSwaggums wrote:Still heading to UK. Looking at some 1br places near campus.

What areas are you looking at? I'm heading up tomorrow to check a few out, but I'm having a rough time finding something that I think I could afford.

thecollege

Postby thecollege » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:13 pm

st21 wrote:Hey guys, I'm most likely heading down to UK as well this fall. Riding out a few waitlists but odds are im moving out west. I've never been to the state, and not really sure what to expect. Everyone seems to have good things to say about the area though so that's always a good sign. Need to start the housing search asap.

On a side note, being from Illinois did you apply / consider UIUC as a possible option?

I actually did not consider UIUC at all. My goal was to leave the state of Illinois and if I went there, I felt like I'd run the risk of only getting jobs in the state. Besides, for a state school it is definitely no bargain. Going there with in-state tuition would probably have given me more debt than going to UK.

MrSwaggums

Postby MrSwaggums » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Blankets wrote:
MrSwaggums wrote:Still heading to UK. Looking at some 1br places near campus.

What areas are you looking at? I'm heading up tomorrow to check a few out, but I'm having a rough time finding something that I think I could afford.

Chevy Chase area and some spots near campus.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Thu May 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Received the Parking and Link Blue letters today. Went ahead and set up my account at UK and activated my e-mail account. If UK was a girl, we'd be Facebook official now, or something.

st21

Postby st21 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Blankets wrote:Received the Parking and Link Blue letters today. Went ahead and set up my account at UK and activated my e-mail account. If UK was a girl, we'd be Facebook official now, or something.

Yeah I also got mine. Does anyone know if you need a parking permit to park in areas like the Johnston Center (gym) or at other student facilities?

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 pm

This is the parking map I found: http://www.uky.edu/pts/sites/www.uky.ed ... -large.pdf

So it looks like you'll need a permit.

I looked at a couple of places today, but nothing solid just yet. You guys finding anything you like?

thecollege

Postby thecollege » Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Does anyone know how the apartment hunting goes in terms of the timeline? To clarify, I'm not sure if I'll get down there to look at apartments until late June/early July, and being a big state school I'm a bit concerned things fill up quickly. Anyone heard anything on that?

st21

Postby st21 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm

thecollege wrote:Does anyone know how the apartment hunting goes in terms of the timeline? To clarify, I'm not sure if I'll get down there to look at apartments until late June/early July, and being a big state school I'm a bit concerned things fill up quickly. Anyone heard anything on that?

I think you should start looking online now before late June. I just signed my lease for a place near campus, and though I only looked at a few places before picking one, I was starting to get the sense that places were filling up fairly quickly. Bluegrass Commons (VA Avenue), Medical View Properties (Gazette Avenue), and Seminary were all sold out. Newton Crossing may have some openings but I read some bad reviews so I would avoid that one.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Tue May 07, 2013 3:39 pm

st21 wrote:
thecollege wrote:Does anyone know how the apartment hunting goes in terms of the timeline? To clarify, I'm not sure if I'll get down there to look at apartments until late June/early July, and being a big state school I'm a bit concerned things fill up quickly. Anyone heard anything on that?

I think you should start looking online now before late June. I just signed my lease for a place near campus, and though I only looked at a few places before picking one, I was starting to get the sense that places were filling up fairly quickly. Bluegrass Commons (VA Avenue), Medical View Properties (Gazette Avenue), and Seminary were all sold out. Newton Crossing may have some openings but I read some bad reviews so I would avoid that one.

Where did you end up? It looks like I'm going to get a place at the Seminary.

st21

Postby st21 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Blankets wrote:
st21 wrote:

Where did you end up? It looks like I'm going to get a place at the Seminary.

I got the last place available at Gazette Avenue. A little further walk compared to Seminary but still not too bad. Now just need to figure out if its worth buying a parking permit to park at the Johnson Center for the gym.

thecollege

Postby thecollege » Tue May 07, 2013 5:07 pm

What are the apartments like by the Seminary? It's so hard to find info for them online...unless I'm not google searching the right things I guess.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Do you mean AT the Seminary or BY the Seminary? I haven't seen any of the ones nearby, but I did see the ones the Seminary rents out to UK students.

They're not super fancy. But they seem well upkept, the Renter's Guide speaks highly of them, they're in a great location.

However, I think you're going to be out of luck if you haven't already applied. They fill up quickly. I got my app in a long time ago, so I was extremely fortunate to be offered one.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”