University of Kentucky c/o 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Blankets

Re: University of Kentucky c/o 2016

Postby Blankets » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:56 pm

togepi wrote:
Blankets wrote:
togepi wrote:It's good that housing is relatively cheap in Lexington. I'm going to be looking for something within reasonable walking distance or a short drive that doesn't get me stuck in traffic.

So we have 3-4 confirmed Wildcats?

It's still going to be tight with the financial aid I'll be relying on. Unless I decide to/am able to find roommates. I've heard some terrible stories about the parking situation at UK, and traffic in the area has always been complete shit when I've been there, so I'm definitely in the "walking or at least biking distance" camp.

Could you elaborate on what you've heard about the parking situation and traffic in general? I mean, traffic is always cited as being shit in every city. Just wondering if you had some specifics. I went to a really small college town for undergrad, around 50k so I'm not really used to traffic.

So, I'm not sure what happened with Lexington exactly. I think it grew faster than they could handle and thus they didn't do what they should have with their streets.

27 turns into Nicholasville Road which goes into Limestone which is where campus is at. The law school is right off of Limestone, a wee bit past the hospital. Every time of day I've been up there - early morning, afternoon, evening - traffic has been pretty heavy. It's been years since I've been in an actual traffic jam, so it all flows pretty smoothly, but lots of cars around lots of pedestrians tends to stress me out.

I'm sure Lexington isn't the only city that does it, but it's the only city I've experienced it in: at certain times in the day, lanes switch directions. The direction is indicated by periodic lights hanging overhead. This messes with my intuitive sense of "where should I be on the road to get to where I'm going?" There are a few points where one person will be trying to use these mystery lanes as a turning lane while others are using them as driving lanes. Huge pain in the ass and it's something I haven't yet mastered.

The main parking lot is apparently on the ass end of campus, so most people park there and then wait for a bus to the main part of campus. I've heard from some folks that even parking there is a pain in the ass, and then you have to worry about missing a bus because you spent so long finding a spot. This is shit I don't want to deal with, honestly. I never want being late to class or whatever to be an issue because of parking. There is a parking facility that's just a couple of minutes away from the college of law, but I have a deep suspicion it fills up relatively quickly. I haven't been able to acquire any information, anecdotal or otherwise, to educate myself more on that particular issue.

malikona

Postby malikona » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi All. I may be joining you at UK Law this fall, I have a couple of deposits down and some decisions to make. Currently living out on the West Coast but but I would certainly be excited to head back to Ky for LS. Lexington is a great town, not too big but plenty of things to do to blow off some steam. I grew up in central Kentucky and went to high school in Lexington (UG elsewhere) so if you have any specific questions about the area, I may be able to provide some assistance or point you in the right direction where I can. Congrats to everyone!

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:17 am

By the way, when you sign and check that letter agreeing to accept to attend Kentucky in the fall and give them your seat deposit, is that binding?

If I get off the waitlist or receive a better offer from another school, I can still back out right?

st21

Postby st21 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 am

togepi wrote:By the way, when you sign and check that letter agreeing to accept to attend Kentucky in the fall and give them your seat deposit, is that binding?

If I get off the waitlist or receive a better offer from another school, I can still back out right?

Yeah you can still back out, you just lose your deposit that's all.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:25 am

st21 wrote:
togepi wrote:By the way, when you sign and check that letter agreeing to accept to attend Kentucky in the fall and give them your seat deposit, is that binding?

Ah, gotcha.

If we do end up there together, we'll definitely need to check out the Southeastern Minority Job Fair in ATL. I'm pretty sure my UGPA and Civil Engineering degree will not be competitive. I'm leaning towards Construction/Energy/Environmental. I mean, I'll probably sign up for the Patent Loyola Interview Program but from what I've read, I won't snag enough preselects to make it a worthy venture. Do you plan on doing IP?

st21

Postby st21 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:42 am

togepi wrote:
st21 wrote:

Ah, gotcha.

If we do end up there together, we'll definitely need to check out the Southeastern Minority Job Fair in ATL. I'm pretty sure my UGPA and Civil Engineering degree will not be competitive. I'm leaning towards Construction/Energy/Environmental. I mean, I'll probably sign up for the Patent Loyola Interview Program but from what I've read, I won't snag enough preselects to make it a worthy venture. Do you plan on doing IP?

Ya I guess I'm leaning towards IP but wont know for sure until we get their in August and get a taste of what all the other fields are like from the classes. The Patent Loyola Program seems like a pretty good opportunity, I'll definitely give it a shot and see what the odds turn out to be. Its only like a $35 registration fee (which UK career services might cover for students) and then if you get a good number of interviews then you just make a weekend trip out of it. I haven't heard much about the minority job fair though, I guess I should start looking into it. What kind of UGPA do we need to have to be competitive in these programs/fairs?

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 am

Weve got an uphill battle on the IP front. EE/CS are the most desirable. Also, were not at a top ranked school. I imagine your UGPA would need to be at least 3.0

st21

Postby st21 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 am

togepi wrote:Weve got an uphill battle on the IP front. EE/CS are the most desirable. Also, were not at a top ranked school. I imagine your UGPA would need to be at least 3.0

lol looking forward it. If it wouldn't be hard then it wouldn't be worth doing.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:28 am

st21 wrote:
togepi wrote:Weve got an uphill battle on the IP front. EE/CS are the most desirable. Also, were not at a top ranked school. I imagine your UGPA would need to be at least 3.0

lol looking forward it. If it wouldn't be hard then it wouldn't be worth doing.

You have good work experience though, so youre in better shape than me. Im sure ill have better luck at diversity fairs while having an eng degree as a cherry on top

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 am

I'm not very familiar with facebook groups, so if one of you would like to take the initiative in making one, please do :)

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Isn't that something that the school will do? I figured we'd get an e-mail with some info and then "oh, btw, the C/O 2016 Facebook is up!"

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 am

Blankets wrote:Isn't that something that the school will do? I figured we'd get an e-mail with some info and then "oh, btw, the C/O 2016 Facebook is up!"

I'm not entirely sure. I'll ask them about it tomorrow. If not, maybe we can just make one. Out of the four schools I've been accepted to, only one had a facebook group so far.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:15 am

I'm going up to Lexington sometime this week to look at an apartment and see if I can find any other potential housing opportunities. It almost looks like most of the places within walking distance are going to be crowded with undergraduates, which may or may not mean anything. I'm personally a pretty calm guy, so I don't want to be around a lot of ruckus.

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:18 am

Blankets wrote:I'm going up to Lexington sometime this week to look at an apartment and see if I can find any other potential housing opportunities. It almost looks like most of the places within walking distance are going to be crowded with undergraduates, which may or may not mean anything. I'm personally a pretty calm guy, so I don't want to be around a lot of ruckus.

Same, but I'd put up with a little bit of ruckus being able to walk to school instead of fighting over parking spaces.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:22 am

togepi wrote:
Blankets wrote:I'm going up to Lexington sometime this week to look at an apartment and see if I can find any other potential housing opportunities. It almost looks like most of the places within walking distance are going to be crowded with undergraduates, which may or may not mean anything. I'm personally a pretty calm guy, so I don't want to be around a lot of ruckus.

Same, but I'd put up with a little bit of ruckus being able to walk to school instead of fighting over parking spaces.

I did some looking, and their parking passes are pretty narrow. As in, as a commuter, you can get access to one of several parking buildings, plus the massive Commonwealth lot (which is a 20 minute walk from the law building). I'm going to ask around as to how impossible it is to find parking in the building on Limestone (which is like a 3 minute walk from the law building) and/or the Commonwealth lot.

At my current job, I walk ~12 miles a day. So putting myself in a position to walk a little bit every day won't necessarily suck. I think I'll be okay with it to live quiet a little further away. I still haven't completely decided if I want to try and find a roommate or just go it alone. What are you guys doing?

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:27 am

Blankets wrote:
togepi wrote:

I did some looking, and their parking passes are pretty narrow. As in, as a commuter, you can get access to one of several parking buildings, plus the massive Commonwealth lot (which is a 20 minute walk from the law building). I'm going to ask around as to how impossible it is to find parking in the building on Limestone (which is like a 3 minute walk from the law building) and/or the Commonwealth lot.

At my current job, I walk ~12 miles a day. So putting myself in a position to walk a little bit every day won't necessarily suck. I think I'll be okay with it to live quiet a little further away. I still haven't completely decided if I want to try and find a roommate or just go it alone. What are you guys doing?

Yeah that makes sense. In undergrad, I drove to school most days. My mom worked for the university, so I had her faculty parking tag :)

I don't mind driving (10 minutes ish) to go to class everyday or waking up early to make sure I get a spot. I may ask the dean about what is most convenient.

As far as roommates are concerned, I'm undecided. I would probably like to live alone first year at least. Once everyone starts doing their own thing 2L and 3L, I think having roommates wouldn't be too bad of an idea. I've heard of horror stories and all that. But it would be good to have someone to keep me motivated and study together all the time.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:35 am

togepi wrote:
Blankets wrote:
togepi wrote:

Yeah that makes sense. In undergrad, I drove to school most days. My mom worked for the university, so I had her faculty parking tag :)

I don't mind driving (10 minutes ish) to go to class everyday or waking up early to make sure I get a spot. I may ask the dean about what is most convenient.

As far as roommates are concerned, I'm undecided. I would probably like to live alone first year at least. Once everyone starts doing their own thing 2L and 3L, I think having roommates wouldn't be too bad of an idea. I've heard of horror stories and all that. But it would be good to have someone to keep me motivated and study together all the time.

I've thought about emailing the dean, too, but I've emailed him once or twice since acceptance already... don't really want to annoy the guy. Do let us know what response you get?

And I've only had roommates twice. Once in a dorm and once in an apartment in D.C. The dorm was miserable, and gave me a negative outlook. In D.C., I had a foreigner (from South Korea) and another student from Jersey. That was one of the best experiences of my life, and really warmed me up to roommates. They forced me to be social, I got to meet new people, and it was nice to have somebody to drink a beer with Friday nights after a long week.

But I'm also skeptical and I think I may have gotten really lucky lol.

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:49 am

Will do. I'm waiting on a response from him concerning some other things.

I've only had roommates twice also. My second year of undergrad I lived with two girls (not as cool as you would think, even though both were pretty hot). Then I lived with two other Civil Engineering majors which was pretty decent. We would play video games together and study for tests and such.

I'm Korean, but pretty much a twinkie. I leave South Korea in about one month after finishing my contract teaching English. Ready to be back stateside. I need to start driving again, hopefully I didn't forget haha.

st21

Postby st21 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 am

There's definitely perks to having roommates, not only in terms of studying together for big tests but also socially and even financially. I haven't started the housing search yet but I'm expecting that one bedroom apartments will most likely have a higher rent than compared to having a few roommates.

Also, don't feel shy or nervous about asking the dean for any information. I've spoken to Franklin Runge on several different occasions when finalizing my decision on where to go, and he was really helpful and outgoing. He seemed happy to answer any of my questions and continued to urge me to reach out to him if I had any others.

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 pm

st21 wrote:There's definitely perks to having roommates, not only in terms of studying together for big tests but also socially and even financially. I haven't started the housing search yet but I'm expecting that one bedroom apartments will most likely have a higher rent than compared to having a few roommates.

Also, don't feel shy or nervous about asking the dean for any information. I've spoken to Franklin Runge on several different occasions when finalizing my decision on where to go, and he was really helpful and outgoing. He seemed happy to answer any of my questions and continued to urge me to reach out to him if I had any others.

He seems to not want to budge on scholarship information haha. But yeah, he's a very helpful individual and you can tell he's trying his best to make us all feel comfortable.

Roommates would be nice, especially if the apartment was big enough to warrant it. My last roommate and I had a good set up. He had all the kitchen stuff while I supplied all the furniture.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:11 am

When are you guys going to really start the housing search? I'm still trying to determine my budget, but will hopefully stumble upon a place before long. Never had to do an apartment search before, so this is a new and unfun experience thus far.

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 am

Blankets wrote:When are you guys going to really start the housing search? I'm still trying to determine my budget, but will hopefully stumble upon a place before long. Never had to do an apartment search before, so this is a new and unfun experience thus far.

Soonish, going to ride the waitlists a little longer. Still waiting to hear about a possible Tulane scholarship and waitlisted at SMU, Houston, and Bama.

Blankets

Postby Blankets » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:26 am

If you decide on UK, we should all go in on one of the 3 bedroom apartments at Bridle Creek :P

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:36 am

Blankets wrote:If you decide on UK, we should all go in on one of the 3 bedroom apartments at Bridle Creek :P

That would be insanely cheap with three people. Might as well go somewhere luxurious :)

Living somewhere for three years with the same people is a big commitment though. I am still undecided about whether or not I want roommates. If the other people are highly motivated to bust their ass 1L then I would consider it. I don't mean that in a study 24/7 kind of way though. I am all for work hard play hard.

By the way, what job do you have that requires 12 miles of walking a day?

st21

Postby st21 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:44 am

togepi wrote:
Blankets wrote:If you decide on UK, we should all go in on one of the 3 bedroom apartments at Bridle Creek :P

That would be insanely cheap with three people. Might as well go somewhere luxurious :)

Living somewhere for three years with the same people is a big commitment though. I am still undecided about whether or not I want roommates. If the other people are highly motivated to bust their ass 1L then I would consider it. I don't mean that in a study 24/7 kind of way though. I am all for work hard play hard.

By the way, what job do you have that requires 12 miles of walking a day?

I guess you guys have done a bit more research in regards to housing than I have thus far. How much is rent for Bridle Creek? And as a side note, if someone's mindset isn't to bust their ass 1L then their just wasting both their time and money. Law school is going to be a grind, just have to remember to have fun while you're there.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”