University of Kentucky c/o 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
st21

New

Re: University of Kentucky c/o 2016

Post by st21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 pm

togepi wrote:Nice. One of my classmates went there for graduate school. Why are you leaving the Civil gig? I worked for six months as a project manager on a tenant improvement job with an uncle whos a general contractor. Thatll be nice having that experience. What field?
The civil job is a good one and its part of the reason why I've mentally battled with myself on whether to leave it or not to pursue law. But at the end of the day, it'll always be a middle level of achievement in my eyes I guess. Though the market isn't great right now for law, the ceiling is potentially higher, so I'm gonna take a swing for it. Slightly risky decision, but that's life.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:46 am

st21 wrote:
togepi wrote:Nice. One of my classmates went there for graduate school. Why are you leaving the Civil gig? I worked for six months as a project manager on a tenant improvement job with an uncle whos a general contractor. Thatll be nice having that experience. What field?
The civil job is a good one and its part of the reason why I've mentally battled with myself on whether to leave it or not to pursue law. But at the end of the day, it'll always be a middle level of achievement in my eyes I guess. Though the market isn't great right now for law, the ceiling is potentially higher, so I'm gonna take a swing for it. Slightly risky decision, but that's life.
People on this board will tell you it's crazy to leave your engineering gig, but I understand where you're coming from. Even if you get your P.E. you couldn't reach your personal goals?

st21

New

Post by st21 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 am

People on this board will tell you it's crazy to leave your engineering gig, but I understand where you're coming from. Even if you get your P.E. you couldn't reach your personal goals?[/quote]

Unfortunately yeah. Most people would probably be satisfied and content with making a career out of it, but I just see it as settling too early I guess. What other schools are you considering so far other than UK?

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:00 am

That's how I felt when I first graduated. After teaching English for two years and doing a bit of traveling, I'm kind of ready for it. What kind of work were you doing if you don't mind me asking?

st21

New

Post by st21 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:45 pm

togepi wrote:That's how I felt when I first graduated. After teaching English for two years and doing a bit of traveling, I'm kind of ready for it. What kind of work were you doing if you don't mind me asking?
land development design

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am

st21 wrote:
togepi wrote:That's how I felt when I first graduated. After teaching English for two years and doing a bit of traveling, I'm kind of ready for it. What kind of work were you doing if you don't mind me asking?
land development design
Not bad. A better gig imo than working for the DOT doing absolutely nothing for 50k a year. It's looking like I'll be joining you in the fall, they would not budge on my scholarship. Still a good deal in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, I'm waitlisted at SMU, Houston, Wake Forest, Texas Tech, Tulane (no response, just assumed), and Bama (pending final committee decision).

st21

New

Post by st21 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:42 am

Not bad. A better gig imo than working for the DOT doing absolutely nothing for 50k a year. It's looking like I'll be joining you in the fall, they would not budge on my scholarship. Still a good deal in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, I'm waitlisted at SMU, Houston, Wake Forest, Texas Tech, Tulane (no response, just assumed), and Bama (pending final committee decision).[/quote]

Waitlisted at Illinois, American & Pitt. Proceeding forward with UK but in the event that one of those 3 actually admit me, I'm not sure what ill end up doing. In the grand scheme of debt, UK would be significantly lower than all of those with the current arrangement I have in place. But obviously rank & academic wise those institutions are higher / better quality.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 am

st21 wrote:Not bad. A better gig imo than working for the DOT doing absolutely nothing for 50k a year. It's looking like I'll be joining you in the fall, they would not budge on my scholarship. Still a good deal in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, I'm waitlisted at SMU, Houston, Wake Forest, Texas Tech, Tulane (no response, just assumed), and Bama (pending final committee decision).

Waitlisted at Illinois, American & Pitt. Proceeding forward with UK but in the event that one of those 3 actually admit me, I'm not sure what ill end up doing. In the grand scheme of debt, UK would be significantly lower than all of those with the current arrangement I have in place. But obviously rank & academic wise those institutions are higher / better quality.[/quote]

Eh. Under no circumstances should you go to American. Their employment statistics are god awful. I have no idea why they are ranked so high and have some "prestige" to their name.

American - http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... n&show=ABA

But your other options aren't too bad, depending on what you want out of your JD and how much scholarship you receive. Where do you have ties to? Before VTech where did you live and where do you work now?

It'll take a lot from the schools I'm waitlisted at to move me from Kentucky. I like living in the south, and the idea of a small class sounds better to me (although I can imagine it getting quite cliquey).

st21

New

Post by st21 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:29 am

Ya those statistics don't provide much confidence in choosing their school. The reason I rank them so highly is because I'm from the DC area. Born, lived, went to school & currently work in this VA / DC area, so in my book it's slightly elevated due to the ease of attending.

But like you said, either one of those 3 will have to provide some sort of additional incentive for choosing them over the current financial arrangement that I have in place right now with UK. Just not sure how common it is for waitlist applicants to receive financial aid if they end up eventually getting admitted. I've heard that typically you have 24 to 48 hours to submit a large tuition deposit before your opportunity to accept expires, leaving you little to zero time to request a scholarship consideration from them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 pm

st21 wrote:Ya those statistics don't provide much confidence in choosing their school. The reason I rank them so highly is because I'm from the DC area. Born, lived, went to school & currently work in this VA / DC area, so in my book it's slightly elevated due to the ease of attending.

But like you said, either one of those 3 will have to provide some sort of additional incentive for choosing them over the current financial arrangement that I have in place right now with UK. Just not sure how common it is for waitlist applicants to receive financial aid if they end up eventually getting admitted. I've heard that typically you have 24 to 48 hours to submit a large tuition deposit before your opportunity to accept expires, leaving you little to zero time to request a scholarship consideration from them.
There was some pretty crazy shit that happened last cycle when I was following it. After classes are almost set, schools will pull people off that will (a) not change their medians for UGPA and LSAT or (b) increase either median. Those people received really favorable $ from schools because it was almost like free money to the schools. In some circumstances, it was better to be waitlisted then accepted as people with similar numbers were offered more scholarship than those admitted earlier in the cycle. Those were fairly rare, but I'm sure it's possible it will happen more this cycle.

I'm pretty positive I'll be joining you at UK, it'll be nice to know someone else with the same engineering background and can go to patent law and diversity fairs together.

st21

New

Post by st21 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:42 am

togepi wrote:
st21 wrote:Ya those statistics don't provide much confidence in choosing their school. The reason I rank them so highly is because I'm from the DC area. Born, lived, went to school & currently work in this VA / DC area, so in my book it's slightly elevated due to the ease of attending.

There was some pretty crazy shit that happened last cycle when I was following it. After classes are almost set, schools will pull people off that will (a) not change their medians for UGPA and LSAT or (b) increase either median. Those people received really favorable $ from schools because it was almost like free money to the schools. In some circumstances, it was better to be waitlisted then accepted as people with similar numbers were offered more scholarship than those admitted earlier in the cycle. Those were fairly rare, but I'm sure it's possible it will happen more this cycle.

I'm pretty positive I'll be joining you at UK, it'll be nice to know someone else with the same engineering background and can go to patent law and diversity fairs together.

Ya definitely. Its one of the huge perks for checking out these sites in the first place. I'm hoping someone makes a facebook group for our class sometime between now and August. It would be cool to see who else is making the journey down to Lexington.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:28 am

Honestly, it would probably just be me, you, and OP haha.

Tulane accepted me last night.

MrSwaggums

New

Post by MrSwaggums » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Any additional attendees or news? I was in Lexington this weekend for the Spring Meet at Keeneland (great weather and atmosphere) and also took in the UK Football Blue/White game. Looked at some apartments but have yet to make a decision on where I'm leaning in regard to where to live.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:50 am

MrSwaggums wrote:Any additional attendees or news? I was in Lexington this weekend for the Spring Meet at Keeneland (great weather and atmosphere) and also took in the UK Football Blue/White game. Looked at some apartments but have yet to make a decision on where I'm leaning in regard to where to live.
Sent in my acceptance letter, that's about it. Let me know about some decently priced apartments near the law school, I'll definitely need to start looking.

Blankets

New

Post by Blankets » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:09 am

I am also in the C/O 2016 at UK. I just discovered this thread, so I figured I'd stop lurking and pop in.

I already sent in my seat deposits, really excited for school to start up. Already looking for housing in Lexington. I'm from the state, but don't really know much about the city, so it's kind of a headache right now.

I look forward to meeting everybody. I hope to see togepi enroll; I'll need somebody to secretly like Pokemon with.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:10 am

Blankets wrote:I am also in the C/O 2016 at UK. I just discovered this thread, so I figured I'd stop lurking and pop in.

I already sent in my seat deposits, really excited for school to start up. Already looking for housing in Lexington. I'm from the state, but don't really know much about the city, so it's kind of a headache right now.

I look forward to meeting everybody. I hope to see togepi enroll; I'll need somebody to secretly like Pokemon with.
Nice to see others that are going! How many seat deposits are there? I only paid one $100 one. I got out of state waived. Since you're in-state, did they offer you any scholarship on top of it? I tried but failed at getting an increased amount.

+1 for Pokemon. I'll have to change my avatar and name to Togetic once law school starts.

Blankets

New

Post by Blankets » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:42 pm

There are two. One for $100 and one for $150. Should display it like that in the status checker, which is still the only account deal I have with UK right now. They're supposed to send out some info here in a few weeks about setting up e-mail and the like.

Yes, I got some scholarship. But not a lot. I get the feeling that UK is somewhat stingy with their aid, but that's okay. I'll have to take some loans out, but I got through UG with scholarships and grants, so I can take on a little bit of debt.

Have you started the housing search, yet? I know that other fella mentioned it, but hadn't narrowed it down anywhere. I have an open account on the UK Roommate site dealio, but haven't really gotten into anything solid yet. As of now, that's my biggest concern.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

st21

New

Post by st21 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Blankets wrote:There are two. One for $100 and one for $150. Should display it like that in the status checker, which is still the only account deal I have with UK right now. They're supposed to send out some info here in a few weeks about setting up e-mail and the like.

Yes, I got some scholarship. But not a lot. I get the feeling that UK is somewhat stingy with their aid, but that's okay. I'll have to take some loans out, but I got through UG with scholarships and grants, so I can take on a little bit of debt.

Have you started the housing search, yet? I know that other fella mentioned it, but hadn't narrowed it down anywhere. I have an open account on the UK Roommate site dealio, but haven't really gotten into anything solid yet. As of now, that's my biggest concern.
I've talked to the dean a few times about what to expect. Look out for a packet in the mail around mid-may with a whole list of things from setting up school accounts, financial info, housing options & recommendations, etc

Blankets

New

Post by Blankets » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 am

Well I already found the Renter's Guide from last year, but it's more or less a general overview of the major rental companies that service the campus. Doesn't go much into actual neighborhoods, etc.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:10 am

It's good that housing is relatively cheap in Lexington. I'm going to be looking for something within reasonable walking distance or a short drive that doesn't get me stuck in traffic.

So we have 3-4 confirmed Wildcats?

Blankets

New

Post by Blankets » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:42 am

togepi wrote:It's good that housing is relatively cheap in Lexington. I'm going to be looking for something within reasonable walking distance or a short drive that doesn't get me stuck in traffic.

It's still going to be tight with the financial aid I'll be relying on. Unless I decide to/am able to find roommates. I've heard some terrible stories about the parking situation at UK, and traffic in the area has always been complete shit when I've been there, so I'm definitely in the "walking or at least biking distance" camp.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:59 am

Blankets wrote:
togepi wrote:It's good that housing is relatively cheap in Lexington. I'm going to be looking for something within reasonable walking distance or a short drive that doesn't get me stuck in traffic.

It's still going to be tight with the financial aid I'll be relying on. Unless I decide to/am able to find roommates. I've heard some terrible stories about the parking situation at UK, and traffic in the area has always been complete shit when I've been there, so I'm definitely in the "walking or at least biking distance" camp.
Could you elaborate on what you've heard about the parking situation and traffic in general? I mean, traffic is always cited as being shit in every city. Just wondering if you had some specifics. I went to a really small college town for undergrad, around 50k so I'm not really used to traffic.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:37 am

Withdrew with $$. Saddest phone call ever because FRANKLIN RUNGE IS SUCH AN OUTSTANDING HUMAN BEING.

Is it weird to want to be real life friends with a director of admissions? Yes? Oh well.

Edit: Sorry, just realized this is misplaced.

MrSwaggums

New

Post by MrSwaggums » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 am

I'm going to view an apartment located in a brick home near the law school. The landlord told me law professors rent the extra parking at this location.

st21

New

Post by st21 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:41 pm

MrSwaggums wrote:I'm going to view an apartment located in a brick home near the law school. The landlord told me law professors rent the extra parking at this location.
Swaggums can you tell us whatever general info you know about the school / campus since you're a bit more familiar with the state & school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”