The George Washington University Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
FromDCtoWhere

New

The George Washington University Law Class of 2016

Post by FromDCtoWhere » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Anyone else in at GW Law? I'm a GW undergrad who got in this week.

badluckbilly

New

Re: The George Washington University Law Class of 2016

Post by badluckbilly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:14 am

Congrats

SydneyC

New

Post by SydneyC » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Si. Visiting next month & looking fwd!

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:51 pm

FromDCtoWhere wrote:Anyone else in at GW Law? I'm a GW undergrad who got in this week.
whats your top reason for staying?

also got in about a week ago, planning on going to the admitted students day or preview day or whatever they're calling it

FromDCtoWhere

New

Post by FromDCtoWhere » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:08 pm

bgoodrick wrote:
FromDCtoWhere wrote:Anyone else in at GW Law? I'm a GW undergrad who got in this week.
whats your top reason for staying?

also got in about a week ago, planning on going to the admitted students day or preview day or whatever they're calling it

Bgoodrick: GW was an amazing school for undergrad, from the professors and administration to the students, the GW community is really something special. My main inclination for staying is the student body, everyone here is really friendly and outgoing. A second reason would be the professors; GW Law has great professors due to their location in DC, and I'm dying to take the class taught by Justice Thomas.
I'm still waiting to hear back from some other great schools, but if they don't work out, I wouldn't have any problem staying here for another 3 years.

If anyone has any questions about GW/DC, feel free to ask!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53 am

where is the best place to live, in your opinion? I just kind of have questions about everything, I've only been to DC once, a long time ago, and have never been to GW.

Probably attending next year, passively looking for jobs at the same time

FromDCtoWhere

New

Post by FromDCtoWhere » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:47 am

bgoodrick wrote:where is the best place to live, in your opinion? I just kind of have questions about everything, I've only been to DC once, a long time ago, and have never been to GW.

Some people choose to live in "on-campus" housing in The Aston, but when you say "on-campus" it means 4 blocks off-campus in between Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle. Don't get me wrong though, that location is perfect, I live a block away from there now. If possible, avoid living on-campus in Hall on Virginia Avenue aka HOVA.

You can find a variety of affordable off-campus housing in Foggy Bottom, West End, and Dupont Circle. I would not recommend living any further away than Dupont Circle, you'll want to be able to walk to campus. Depending on which building/how many roommates you have, prices can range from $800/mo to $1,600/mo. Last piece of advice: find a building with utilities included, DC winters and summers can be crazy, and I have friends who are routinely stuck with $200/mo heating bills.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:37 pm

You must have a major source of financial support...

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:00 pm

FromDCtoWhere wrote:
bgoodrick wrote:where is the best place to live, in your opinion? I just kind of have questions about everything, I've only been to DC once, a long time ago, and have never been to GW.

Some people choose to live in "on-campus" housing in The Aston, but when you say "on-campus" it means 4 blocks off-campus in between Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle. Don't get me wrong though, that location is perfect, I live a block away from there now. If possible, avoid living on-campus in Hall on Virginia Avenue aka HOVA.

You can find a variety of affordable off-campus housing in Foggy Bottom, West End, and Dupont Circle. I would not recommend living any further away than Dupont Circle, you'll want to be able to walk to campus. Depending on which building/how many roommates you have, prices can range from $800/mo to $1,600/mo. Last piece of advice: find a building with utilities included, DC winters and summers can be crazy, and I have friends who are routinely stuck with $200/mo heating bills.

not sure if serious (besides the utilities)... All of those places are insanely expensive to live in. Why do you need to be able to walk to campus? DC has one of the best metros in the States, and GW is right on the line. Why not live in a much cheaper and larger place in Arlington, which is still insanely expensive, nationwide. I guess it's all relative, but I definitely argue the notion that one shouldn't live any farther than Dupont Circle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acs507

Bronze

Post by acs507 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:
FromDCtoWhere wrote:

not sure if serious (besides the utilities)... All of those places are insanely expensive to live in. Why do you need to be able to walk to campus? DC has one of the best metros in the States, and GW is right on the line. Why not live in a much cheaper and larger place in Arlington, which is still insanely expensive, nationwide. I guess it's all relative, but I definitely argue the notion that one shouldn't live any farther than Dupont Circle.
Also, seriously considering GW.

I'm a big library studier and the metro in DC shuts down at midnight/1 am I believe. At least for the first year, I would want to be in walking distance just to get the swing of things, but again just a personal opinion.

FromDCtoWhere

New

Post by FromDCtoWhere » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:26 pm

acs507 wrote:
Homelandsagreatshow wrote:
FromDCtoWhere wrote:

Also, seriously considering GW.

I'm a big library studier and the metro in DC shuts down at midnight/1 am I believe. At least for the first year, I would want to be in walking distance just to get the swing of things, but again just a personal opinion.
@Homeland: I have had friends who lived off campus and either drove or took the metro in for classes, they always ended up moving back on campus or to Foggy Bottom.
Driving in is a non-option, parking on campus is about $1,000/semester, or $275/mo in a garage. The metro is good if you're within 3 stops, but it closes at like midnight on the weekdays and 2am on the weekends. Rush hour is also hell.

DC housing is really expensive, I'm going to say that in all honesty you're not going to do better than $700/mo minimum with a roommate. GW tuition is a bit lower than some of the other top 20s though, also I know GW undergrad does housing scholarships, not sure about law.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:27 am

Looks like GWU may be where I am headed (I will know in March). If people are down to save money, we could always room together. As long as none of yall are gonna kill me, do weird person shit it'll be a pretty economical idea.

leahkc12

New

Post by leahkc12 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm in at GW as well but not 100% sure about attending. Does anybody have any tips finding roommates in DC that preferably go to GW or Georgetown Law?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Ya, the prices are pretty ridiculous but I think that walking distance is probably the top priority for me, as well as living in the same building as other grad students as opposed to old people because, law students or not, we are still mostly young people.

Luckily the price for the studios and stuff will be easier to pitch to my parents with rent in LA being fairly similar. Ideally looking for somewhere unfurnished between GW and Dupont, I've heard that both Dupont and Georgetown are great places for young people to live.

law_school_bound

New

Post by law_school_bound » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:14 am

Hey guys,
About the seat deposit, I know the admitted students portal states that if you're paying by credit/debit, they'll send the link...so does anyone know if we have to e-mail them about sending us the link individually, or if they will actually send it out to all accepted students in like late March?
Also, about a gw law fb page, is there one already? If not, can anyone start one or does gw do that by itself?
I feel like it would be a pretty good way to get to *know* other incoming kids, and find possible roommates and all the good stuff.

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:20 pm

law_school_bound wrote:Hey guys,
About the seat deposit, I know the admitted students portal states that if you're paying by credit/debit, they'll send the link...so does anyone know if we have to e-mail them about sending us the link individually, or if they will actually send it out to all accepted students in like late March?
Also, about a gw law fb page, is there one already? If not, can anyone start one or does gw do that by itself?
I feel like it would be a pretty good way to get to *know* other incoming kids, and find possible roommates and all the good stuff.
I looked, so unless its private I don't believe there is one already.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:14 pm

Pretty sure I'm going here :) I love DC. Anyone else??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dclaw2015

New

Post by dclaw2015 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Congrats to all accepted to GDub law :!: GW Law is an excellent school, for the price you will pay because 1. Excellent faculty 2. Location 3. The new Inns-Of-Court program geared towards helping students find employment or internship etc. etc. I am a current student, also went undergrad at GW's Elliott School of International Affairs. See you all in Fall 2013. 8)

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:53 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:Pretty sure I'm going here :) I love DC. Anyone else??
Probably attending, only been to DC once in middle school so I'm really looking forward to seeing it during the Preview Day. Kinda screwy that the Preview Day doesn't allow for guests of admitted students.

Anyone else going to DC that weekend?

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:38 pm

bgoodrick wrote:
Probably attending, only been to DC once in middle school so I'm really looking forward to seeing it during the Preview Day. Kinda screwy that the Preview Day doesn't allow for guests of admitted students.

Yeah it's annoying because I wanted to bring my boyfriend. :/ But yes, I'm going that weekend.

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
bgoodrick wrote:

Yeah it's annoying because I wanted to bring my boyfriend. :/ But yes, I'm going that weekend.
I'm in the same boat, I have a family member coming on the trip with me but I guess that they'll just be left to their own devices for that day

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm going to the Preview Day/Preview Evening on March 21-22. I'm staying at a nearby hotel and it's $218 a night for two double beds. If anybody is planning on attending and wants to split the cost with me, PM me.

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:27 pm

is anyone else looking at apartments while there? I feel like its kind of early to do it, but I don't want to necessarily have to pay for another trip out to DC from LA just for the sake of looking for somewhere to live

acs507

Bronze

Post by acs507 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:57 pm

I think for the DC area it is a bit early to look for apartments. Then turnover in the market seems to be pretty quick. But I'm not a hundred percent sure.

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 pm

acs507 wrote:I think for the DC area it is a bit early to look for apartments. Then turnover in the market seems to be pretty quick. But I'm not a hundred percent sure.
ya, i didn't know because i saw that there is something about looking at living places on the schedule for the preview day

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”