BC Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
sflyr2016

Re: BC Class of 2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:29 pm

ultrasajid wrote:
ls23 wrote:I'm coming from out of state, any new admits start looking for apartments/current students have advice on good sites to find apartments? Also current students, how much is the average rent around Brighton? Other neighborhoods you think are good options?

There's some good discussion about this in the admitted students Facebook page.

Please send the link to that fb page

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:31 pm

ls23

Postby ls23 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:28 pm

ionoiforgot wrote:
ls23 wrote:I'm coming from out of state, any new admits start looking for apartments/current students have advice on good sites to find apartments? Also current students, how much is the average rent around Brighton? Other neighborhoods you think are good options?

As an out-of-state person (1L), here are my thoughts:

1. There's an off-campus housing listing service that helps you find others interested in finding housing-maters (if you're not seeking siolo location)
2. Start EARLY/NOW. Housing market is bit lame in light of the undergraduates competing with us for housing, so options will vary, be less than other areas you might be use to, and come up at random times.
3. Rent prices depends also because of quality of the housing (condition, how many bathrooms, parking, how many people you live with). I think a person paying $650-800 is average/expected. There are deals out there if you look hard enough. I got a place 20 minutes (by walk) from campus that had good access to public transit for only $500/month (4 bed/2 full bath). Again, START LOOKING NOW.

Thanks for input, I'll def. start looking now. In terms of specific areas, where do most of the 1Ls usually end up? Also link to the off-campus housing listing service? Thanks again!

ionoiforgot

Postby ionoiforgot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks for input, I'll def. start looking now. In terms of specific areas, where do most of the 1Ls usually end up? Also link to the off-campus housing listing service? Thanks again!

The off-campus housing listing service is via Agora; that will be available later down the line when you get account information. Until then, you can just look for a location on your own (thus control the process of where you may end up living while finding future roommates later). Or, if you don't care who you live with necessarily, there are rising 2L and 3Ls that are looking for people to join forces with. There are Facebook groups for that, but I think living with 1Ls is a great thing.

Location wise, the BC Law population is spread out. There's no specific area; the closer areas like Cleveland Circle, Brighton, Allston, Newton, and Watertown are all more populated areas. It depends if you have a car and your budget. The farther away locations may have more housing and better deals, but you'll need a car naturally.

WARNING/PSA: for people not use to the area: "move in day" is typically the start of months (September 1st). Thus there's a tricky situation because school typically starts like the last week of August. You have to specifically discuss with your potential landlord about moving in early, or you'll have to plan to move into your location either at the start of August or the start of September. Each year there are students who need temporary housing before they can move into their permanent location September 1st. I'd imagine this year is no different. There will be plenty of BCLS people who will be willing to offer you a couch to stay on (if you need it) for the week of school before move in.

teachmehowtoraji

Postby teachmehowtoraji » Mon May 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Any BC TLSers still looking for roommates? I had a late graduation from undergrad (my class just graduated Saturday, actually) and I feel like I may have missed the boat.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu May 30, 2013 1:41 pm

for those without a car, Cleveland Circle can be a big plus. The BC shuttle stops there, so you can take the free shuttle to campus and then to the Newton Campus for class.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:21 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:Any BC TLSers still looking for roommates? I had a late graduation from undergrad (my class just graduated Saturday, actually) and I feel like I may have missed the boat.

check the facebook group. there are people looking.

North

Postby North » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Get in here BC people. Right now BU has one up on you guys.

rufus&miles

Postby rufus&miles » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:23 am

Finally have a place to live, even signed a lease on a parking spot! Wicked pumped to get to Boston!

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:25 am

rufus&miles wrote:Finally have a place to live, even signed a lease on a parking spot! Wicked pumped to get to Boston!

Nice!! Where are you living??

rufus&miles

Postby rufus&miles » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:18 am

AlanShore wrote:Nice!! Where are you living??

I'm going to be in Brighton, right on Commonwealth. It is a good compromise location for my SO and me.

Where are you going to be? (I think I remember you being in Somerville or the South End?)

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:53 pm

rufus&miles wrote:
AlanShore wrote:Nice!! Where are you living??

I'm going to be in Brighton, right on Commonwealth. It is a good compromise location for my SO and me.

Where are you going to be? (I think I remember you being in Somerville or the South End?)

Yup. I'm in somerville and will stay there. I have a car. It's a half hour drive but I do a very similar drive to work right now so it's fine with me. See you in the fall!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”