Cornell Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
toothbrush

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:43 pm

LFH_intheflesh wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Thanks for the reply. Following up on this - does the school help to secure these opportunities? At what point do you pursue this through the school?

Define help?

They will have websites full of postings (e.g. symplicity) but its your job to prepare applications.

Yeah basically that's what I wanted to know - if they had places to help students find these opportunities. Thanks :)

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:44 pm

toothbrush wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote: I feel like a repeat of the Great Coat Crisis of 2013 is more than possible if Barristers is in the same place.

I read this as the Great GOAT Crisis. Thought there were 1L's ravaging farms and cuddling with goats for warmth or something

Not far off and probably a damn sight prettier.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:01 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:Btw, just as some friendly advice, maybe go to Fall Ball (not really) but definitely skip Barristers and get drunk somewhere else.

TITCR

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Btw, just as some friendly advice, maybe go to Fall Ball (not really) but definitely skip Barristers and get drunk somewhere else.

TITCR

Yah they both suck- the only good formal events are the journal and moot court banquets.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:26 pm

toothbrush wrote:
LFH_intheflesh wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Thanks for the reply. Following up on this - does the school help to secure these opportunities? At what point do you pursue this through the school?

Define help?

They will have websites full of postings (e.g. symplicity) but its your job to prepare applications.

Yeah basically that's what I wanted to know - if they had places to help students find these opportunities. Thanks :)

Symplicity, plus the website that had all the government jobs. People usually do this sort of thing over winter break, and there'll be several panels (whether they're actually useful or not is debatable) for things like applying to judicial internships/other jobs, so you've got a bit of time.

As far as good formals, journal/moot court banquets are mostly not available to 1Ls (you get to do Langfan as a 1L but nothing else).

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:41 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
LFH_intheflesh wrote:

Define help?

Symplicity, plus the website that had all the government jobs. People usually do this sort of thing over winter break, and there'll be several panels (whether they're actually useful or not is debatable) for things like applying to judicial internships/other jobs, so you've got a bit of time.

As far as good formals, journal/moot court banquets are mostly not available to 1Ls (you get to do Langfan as a 1L but nothing else).

Depends who you hang out with :P

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:44 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:

Depends who you hang out with :P

Touché.

cornellhouse

Postby cornellhouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:07 pm

And also go to Cabaret.

teachmehowtoraji

Postby teachmehowtoraji » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:08 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
teachmehowtoraji wrote:Finally made the decision to attend after getting off the reserve a little while ago, faxed the seat deposit in earlier today :mrgreen:

Woo Raji

Thanks man. Now I just have to dig up my immunization records and schedule a physical within the next 24 hours :shock:

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:09 pm

toothbrush wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Some people stay in Ithaca. Professors take RAs, the university office of the general counsel hires a few interns, and the city attorneys office hires a couple interns. Most people find something either in their home market, NYC or DC. People are working for government regulatory agencies, interning for federal and state judges, working in house, and a small number are working at firms (almost all of those are in secondary/tertiary markets or Texas).

Job hunting starts December 1st, but most people don't start in earnest until break. Career services will help with resumes etc but there is nothing as structured as 2L recruiting.
Last edited by hephaestus on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:09 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:Thanks man. Now I just have to dig up my immunization records and schedule a physical within the next 24 hours :shock:

You don't need the physical.

I sent mine in blank and they confirmed it was fine.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:

TITCR

Yah they both suck- the only good formal events are the journal and moot court banquets.

I think that depends on your tastes. I had a blast at Barrister's this year. Maybe 3L nostalgia, but it was definitely better than any journal or moot court banquet I've been to.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Any event can be as fun as you make it. I'll have fun no matter what.

teachmehowtoraji

Postby teachmehowtoraji » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Lavitz wrote:
teachmehowtoraji wrote:Thanks man. Now I just have to dig up my immunization records and schedule a physical within the next 24 hours :shock:

Seriously? You just made my day tomorrow 10x easier man, thanks.

teachmehowtoraji

Postby teachmehowtoraji » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:51 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Any event can be as fun as you copious amounts of alcohol make it. I'll have fun no matter what.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:06 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Wait, really ?! I've been fighting with my Dr. for an appointment this month..

Lavitz - did you just print the health form and get the immunizations filled in and submit that ?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:16 pm

toothbrush wrote:
teachmehowtoraji wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Wait, really ?! I've been fighting with my Dr. for an appointment this month..

Lavitz - did you just print the health form and get the immunizations filled in and submit that ?

Yes. And I've said before that the physical was unnecessary.

Sorry guys. I should've asked the mods to make me OP of this thread months ago so I could put all this info in there.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:21 pm

Come on Lavitz, get it together.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Lavitz wrote:Yes. And I've said before that the physical was unnecessary.

Sorry guys. I should've asked the mods to make me OP of this thread months ago so I could put all this info in there.

Seriously I didn't even notice.

So yeah, I'm going to try that route and skip the physical.

I was thinking that the OP should reflect all this info. Lots of good stuff has been asked about, posted, and reasked about. It's okay though, it keeps the thread alive. You should be OP though.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:15 pm

toothbrush wrote:You should be OP though.

Done. I'll start working on it tonight.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:

TITCR

I think that depends on your tastes. I had a blast at Barrister's this year. Maybe 3L nostalgia, but it was definitely better than any journal or moot court banquet I've been to.

Even with the Great Coat Fiasco, where all those poor coats lay empty and forlorn on the ground while their owners pushed their way into a small room with no exit?

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:16 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:Even with the Great Coat Fiasco, where all those poor coats lay empty and forlorn on the ground while their owners pushed their way into a small room with no exit?

I didn't check my coat. Left it upstairs, and got out in 2 minutes.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Lincoln wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Even with the Great Coat Fiasco, where all those poor coats lay empty and forlorn on the ground while their owners pushed their way into a small room with no exit?

Me too, though my girlfriend's coat required my entering the Barrister's Brawl.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

Me too, though my girlfriend's coat required my entering the Barrister's Brawl.

I didn't know you had one. A girlfriend, that is, not a coat.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:50 pm

PS. Sorry for taking over your thread, c/o 2016. I'll mosey on back to the Q&A thread now.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”