Cornell Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Lavitz

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Postby Lavitz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:46 pm

I just pictured our 16th President skinny dipping.

Too much info, Lincoln. :lol:

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Lavitz wrote:I just pictured our 16th 47th President skinny dipping.

Too much info, Lincoln. :lol:

FTFY 8)

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:I do agree with Lincoln. However, concerning AOP I would highly encourage anyone invited to attend. I did not in large part to TLS. I read that there was no boost and was pretty much like screw it I'm not wasting my time. I really regret it now. I noticed that people who had the chance to attend formed some really good relatinships with each other and professors that I definitely missed out on early on. Its nice having a professor that you can go to just to talk about life. I know its hard to see now and don't get me wrong grades are REALLY improtant. You should be devoting like 99% of your effort to doing the best that you can. However, this sort of falls in that 1% of an intangible experience. If you get invited definitely go. You will not regret it.

Edit: And you will get to hang out with me for a week. I promise that we'll have a lot of fun.

If you don't know how to make connections with professors outside of AOP, you have more serious problems, IMO.

where did I say that you could not make connections with teachers outside of AOP? Of course I made relationships with professors after AOP like anyone else could. Thats not the point. Also, don't appreciate the tone of your comment.

When I wrote "you" I meant it in the sense of "if one does not..." I have no idea who you are IRL, so any perceived insult directed at you is a misreading of my comment.

I just meant that I haven't seen any difference whatsoever between students who went to AOP and students who didn't. My roommate was at AOP; I wasn't. I have more friends than my roommate does and much closer relationships with professors (including ones who were involved with AOP). Of my closest group of friends, two went to AOP and three did not. We became good friends in spite of that, and we all have good relationships with professors.

I think if you belong to a discrete minority AOP can be helpful because you get to know others belonging to that same minority before classes start and get a chance to hang out. I partied with grad students for a week instead and don't regret it for a second. Almost getting arrested for skinny dipping and making out in the public swimming pool at 2 a.m. was definitely more memorable than dinner at Professor Johnson's house. But I guess reasonable minds can differ.

0Ls: Go to AOP or don't go to AOP; I really don't care. When I was in your situation I was kinda butt hurt for not being invited. In hindsight, I'm glad I had more time to be irresponsible.

I wish I knew who you were IRL.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I wish I knew who you were IRL.

If I was ever outed there would be so much deleting to do.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:I wish I knew who you were IRL.

If I was ever outed there would be so much deleting to do.

Oh no doubt. It's a much more perilous life that I live.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:I do agree with Lincoln. However, concerning AOP I would highly encourage anyone invited to attend. I did not in large part to TLS. I read that there was no boost and was pretty much like screw it I'm not wasting my time. I really regret it now. I noticed that people who had the chance to attend formed some really good relatinships with each other and professors that I definitely missed out on early on. Its nice having a professor that you can go to just to talk about life. I know its hard to see now and don't get me wrong grades are REALLY improtant. You should be devoting like 99% of your effort to doing the best that you can. However, this sort of falls in that 1% of an intangible experience. If you get invited definitely go. You will not regret it.

Edit: And you will get to hang out with me for a week. I promise that we'll have a lot of fun.

If you don't know how to make connections with professors outside of AOP, you have more serious problems, IMO.

where did I say that you could not make connections with teachers outside of AOP? Of course I made relationships with professors after AOP like anyone else could. Thats not the point. Also, don't appreciate the tone of your comment.

When I wrote "you" I meant it in the sense of "if one does not..." I have no idea who you are IRL, so any perceived insult directed at you is a misreading of my comment.

I just meant that I haven't seen any difference whatsoever between students who went to AOP and students who didn't. My roommate was at AOP; I wasn't. I have more friends than my roommate does and much closer relationships with professors (including ones who were involved with AOP). Of my closest group of friends, two went to AOP and three did not. We became good friends in spite of that, and we all have good relationships with professors.

I think if you belong to a discrete minority AOP can be helpful because you get to know others belonging to that same minority before classes start and get a chance to hang out. I partied with grad students for a week instead and don't regret it for a second. Almost getting arrested for skinny dipping and making out in the public swimming pool at 2 a.m. was definitely more memorable than dinner at Professor Johnson's house. But I guess reasonable minds can differ.

0Ls: Go to AOP or don't go to AOP; I really don't care. When I was in your situation I was kinda butt hurt for not being invited. In hindsight, I'm glad I had more time to be irresponsible.

Fair enough. I thought you were basically trying to insult me. Its not really a secret who I am in real life. My username has part of my last name in it. That's why I took offense. No hard feelings.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:Its not really a secret who I am in real life.

Yep. Found you. That was easy. :lol:

But I would've known when I moved in anyway.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:56 pm

I'll be in Ithaca a week early as well. I am, however, super white and will not be at AOP.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Lavitz wrote:Calm down, guys.

highopes337 wrote:Congrats!

...The King of C/O 2016 is officially official. :D

Thanks. Now if only the king could decide between soccer and flag football...

I plan on both. If that's not possible, flag football is my thing. Got my netid as well.

lightswitch

Postby lightswitch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:03 am

Best part of AOP I hear is that you get free money to go. I think they handed out like $200 last year to the kids who came. Plus the so-called work was just briefing cases and reading, or something similar, which is pretty much not work since I imagine only the TAs really "read" it (so if you wanna go out and get hammered while doing AOP, feel free).

Apart from that and the dinner at Johnson's house, there's not too much substantive from AOP. Make sure you enjoy the last few weeks of freedom, though, 0Ls, because halfway through first semester you'll realize how much you don't know.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:17 am

lightswitch wrote:Best part of AOP I hear is that you get free money to go. I think they handed out like $200 last year to the kids who came. Plus the so-called work was just briefing cases and reading, or something similar, which is pretty much not work since I imagine only the TAs really "read" it (so if you wanna go out and get hammered while doing AOP, feel free).

Apart from that and the dinner at Johnson's house, there's not too much substantive from AOP. Make sure you enjoy the last few weeks of freedom, though, 0Ls, because halfway through first semester the first day you'll realize how much you don't know.

lightswitch

Postby lightswitch » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:49 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
lightswitch wrote:Best part of AOP I hear is that you get free money to go. I think they handed out like $200 last year to the kids who came. Plus the so-called work was just briefing cases and reading, or something similar, which is pretty much not work since I imagine only the TAs really "read" it (so if you wanna go out and get hammered while doing AOP, feel free).

Apart from that and the dinner at Johnson's house, there's not too much substantive from AOP. Make sure you enjoy the last few weeks of freedom, though, 0Ls, because halfway through first semester the first day you'll realize how much you don't know.

Some realize sooner than others. Those that do tend to do better.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:12 am

lightswitch wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
lightswitch wrote:Make sure you enjoy the last few weeks of freedom, though, 0Ls, because halfway through first semester the first day you'll realize how much you don't know.

Some realize sooner than others. Those that do tend to do better.

Touché

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:52 am

What's the deal with cornell's health insurance? I have been off my parents' health insurance for a few years and don't really want to go back on, but can't find a link to cornell's health insurance plans. Has anyone seen anything about it? I know how much it costs, but have no idea as to what it covers, what type of insurance, etc. If anyone has any info and/or a link, that would be awesome! I might have failed at googling, but nothing of use came up when I tried.

Thanks, guys!

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:05 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:What's the deal with cornell's health insurance? I have been off my parents' health insurance for a few years and don't really want to go back on, but can't find a link to cornell's health insurance plans. Has anyone seen anything about it? I know how much it costs, but have no idea as to what it covers, what type of insurance, etc. If anyone has any info and/or a link, that would be awesome! I might have failed at googling, but nothing of use came up when I tried.

Thanks, guys!

...And I think I got it, so nevermind. clearly my google skills did fail me the first time around :?

LFH_intheflesh

Postby LFH_intheflesh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:06 pm

--LinkRemoved--

efb

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:14 pm

LFH_intheflesh wrote:https://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/students/student-connection.aspx?GroupID=711115

efb

Thanks!

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:31 pm

guinness1547 wrote:flag football is my thing.

Yes, I see that. :wink:

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:22 am

I miss you guys so much. The B thread is dead and depressing... might start talking to myself in there.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:58 am

iMisto wrote:I miss you guys so much. The B thread is dead and depressing... might start talking to myself in there.

Well, well, well. Look who came crawling back. Lol

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:40 am

guinness1547 wrote:
iMisto wrote:I miss you guys so much. The B thread is dead and depressing... might start talking to myself in there.

Well, well, well. Look who came crawling back. Lol

:lol:

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 am

Has anybody received word from Cornell about the Federal Perkins Loan?

The financial aid email I received a while back said that we would be unable to sign the promissory note until they had entered the loan into the system. This is something they would be doing throughout June. I realize July is only 2 days old, but I also didn't want to overlook something that I might need to do.

Thanks in advance.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:55 am

E-mailed about that. They still aren't ready.

Feeny

Postby Feeny » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Guess I'm giving up on getting in Hughes.

If anyone else is still looking for a roommate, pm me.

tigers12

Postby tigers12 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:06 pm

does anyone have any idea when they are going to send out the tuition bills for the fall semester (fun, fun, haha). I think one of the emails said sometime in july, but I want to make sure that I don't miss anything

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”