Cornell Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Lavitz

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:39 pm

iMisto wrote:Just got into Berkeley via email. Is it too late to negotiate with Cornell??

No, they should still have money left. Negotiate away.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Lavitz wrote:
iMisto wrote:Just got into Berkeley via email. Is it too late to negotiate with Cornell??

No, they should still have money left. Negotiate away.

Email sent. :o

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:00 pm

iMisto wrote:Email sent. :o

That was quick. I hope you crafted it well. I suppose I should've mention that when I called the FA office on Monday, I got a recording saying that they were only in Monday through Thursday, so they probably won't even get it until Monday.

In the meantime, it looks like I'll have to spend the whole weekend defending Cornell. :lol:

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Haha! I started it before I posted, but just wanted to make sure before I sent it. :mrgreen:

I'm so torn now... Plus, Berkeley doesn't do grades, right?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:36 pm

iMisto wrote:I'm so torn now... Plus, Berkeley doesn't do grades, right?

Right I think they have a LP, P, HP thing going on.

That might be nice if you're into that sort of thing.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Lavitz wrote:
iMisto wrote:I'm so torn now... Plus, Berkeley doesn't do grades, right?

Right I think they have a LP, P, HP thing going on.

That might be nice if you're into that sort of thing.

It would seem a bit less stressful to not worry as much about a GPA, but I've heard firms can figure out your relative ranking anyway.

And, I already signed a lease in Ithaca.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:32 pm

iMisto wrote:And, I already signed a lease in Ithaca.

I know.

I'm surprised more people haven't posted in your decision thread yet.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Lavitz wrote:
iMisto wrote:And, I already signed a lease in Ithaca.

I know.

I'm surprised more people haven't posted in your decision thread yet.

I voted Cornell because you love it. I don't know how the COA matches up with cost of living and Cornell's tuition, but I assume it comes out about equal, and since you prefer NYC, then Cornell has the edge.

Ithaca is gorges.

highopes337

Postby highopes337 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:55 pm

FWIW, I voted for Cornell...since I'm commited to attending :oops:
Signed a lease in Ithaca yesterday and withdrew from my very last WL today.
Truth is that if I had Berkeley as an option at a reasonably similar COA, it would be a terribly hard decision for me.
I love the Bay area and California is home though. (My avatar photo was taken in SF)

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Got my net id this morning. All set up. Not sure what to do with it. I feel so not inclined to get this shit done so i'm just going with it.

Also, signing a lease this week. Hopefully wont have to see what happens if I renege on it (c'mon wl's)

but happy to be here I guess. mehhhh law school .

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:52 am

Re: Contest

Class size: 198

LSAT 167

GPA 3.71

I think we have to play it by ear and see if it is easy to discern who wins/loses.

thatgumyoulike

Postby thatgumyoulike » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:19 pm

Those of you who have already found housing: can you share some links, property names, or advice? I've been using the housing links Cornell sent us, but it's a bit difficult doing this from across the country.

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:27 am

Is the physical mandatory? I feel like I read somewhere that it wasn't.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 am

CR2012 wrote:Is the physical mandatory? I feel like I read somewhere that it wasn't.

I'm the one who said that. People have called in the past and been told it wasn't.

Also, according to this page,
Q: Do I have to have a physical exam?

A: It is recommended that ALL students complete a physical exam prior to entering Cornell. However, any student planning to participate in an NCAA sport must have a physical exam performed after March 1, 2013.

Emphasis mine.

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:00 pm

I was just accepted to Cornell off the reserve list and I am almost certainly coming! Since I joined the party super late, where have people been looking into housing? Any words of advice?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:03 pm

thatgumyoulike wrote:Those of you who have already found housing: can you share some links, property names, or advice? I've been using the housing links Cornell sent us, but it's a bit difficult doing this from across the country.

I'm living in Hughes, but maybe some of the below links can help you.
T20hopeful89 wrote:I was just accepted to Cornell off the reserve list and I am almost certainly coming! Since I joined the party super late, where have people been looking into housing? Any words of advice?

Congrats!

If you're looking for a studio, you can wait a few days to see if iMisto leaves us for Berkeley, then take his apartment :lol:

Otherwise, there's craigslist and Cornell's housing site.

There's also Ithaca Renting and Ithaca Student Apartments. The latter just sent me a packet in the mail saying that they were reserving several buildings in collegetown terrace for the law and business school students.

Finally, there's this site, but I think you have to create an account to view all the listings.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Hello lovies...

Unfortunately, I will not be attending Cornell this fall. I've truly enjoyed my time with you, and will hopefully be seeing you guys in the future!

Special <3s for Lavitz, Guinness, and Comeonletsgo; you guys are the BEST.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:52 pm

iMisto wrote:Hello lovies...

Unfortunately, I will not be attending Cornell this fall. I've truly enjoyed my time with you, and will hopefully be seeing you guys in the future!

Oh well.

Good luck at Berkeley!

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Lavitz wrote:
thatgumyoulike wrote:Those of you who have already found housing: can you share some links, property names, or advice? I've been using the housing links Cornell sent us, but it's a bit difficult doing this from across the country.

T20hopeful89 wrote:I was just accepted to Cornell off the reserve list and I am almost certainly coming! Since I joined the party super late, where have people been looking into housing? Any words of advice?

Congrats!

If you're looking for a studio, you can wait a few days to see if iMisto leaves us for Berkeley, then take his apartment :lol:

There's also Ithaca Renting and Ithaca Student Apartments. The latter just sent me a packet in the mail saying that they were reserving several buildings in collegetown terrace for the law and business school students.

Finally, there's this site, but I think you have to create an account to view all the listings.

Thanks!! Hopefully they have apartments left! I'm nervous things will be filled up since it's pretty late in the game. Some of these apartment look nice though!

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Good luck, and enjoy the weather!

comeonletsgo

Postby comeonletsgo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Aw nooo. Good luck at Berkeley! You'll be missed

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:46 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Congrats!

Thanks!! Hopefully they have apartments left! I'm nervous things will be filled up since it's pretty late in the game. Some of these apartment look nice though!

I just got home from visiting cornell for the first time. I checked out the Collegetown Terrace apartments while I was there.

I will be living there in the fall. The studios are a bit pricey but plenty big and super nice. It's a quick 7-10 min walk to the law school and they have busses every 20 mins from the complex to the school. Fully furnished with washer/dryer etc. Very good shit. Although, it was a bit pricey in comparison. Fwiw I thought the private properties (and cheaper) were a bit ragged / shabby but that's just me.

if you have any questions feel free to pm me (to anyone)

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Also, I was under the impression (maybe due to my own naiveté) that the Cornell (Ithaca) to NYC bus was free (to students) but it's actually 165 dollars r/t. That's crazy. There goes that as a means of transportation.

I hate that it's so expensive to get upstate from NYC for people visiting. The best I found is 31 dollars one way to Syracuse which is a 1 hour ish drive from Ithaca. The direct bus is like 55 dollars one way to Ithaca.

Hell, you can go to Boston from NYC for 15 bucks =X

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:58 pm

toothbrush wrote:Also, I was under the impression (maybe due to my own naiveté) that the Cornell (Ithaca) to NYC bus was free (to students) but it's actually 165 dollars r/t. That's crazy. There goes that as a means of transportation.

I hate that it's so expensive to get upstate from NYC for people visiting. The best I found is 31 dollars one way to Syracuse which is a 1 hour ish drive from Ithaca. The direct bus is like 55 dollars one way to Ithaca.

You can get the megabus from NYC to Binghamton --which is about an hour south of Ithaca. It would be a much shorter bus trip than to Syracuse (about 3 1/2 hours) and if you get it in advance it can be really cheap (like, under $10.) Yeah, the C2C is luxurious, but it's super expensive.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 pm

ph5354a wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Also, I was under the impression (maybe due to my own naiveté) that the Cornell (Ithaca) to NYC bus was free (to students) but it's actually 165 dollars r/t. That's crazy. There goes that as a means of transportation.

You can get the megabus from NYC to Binghamton --which is about an hour south of Ithaca. It would be a much shorter bus trip than to Syracuse (about 3 1/2 hours) and if you get it in advance it can be really cheap (like, under $10.) Yeah, the C2C is luxurious, but it's super expensive.

Hey! Thanks for the inside advice. The best I found for NYC to Bing was $39 (http://us.megabus.com/JourneyResults.as ... thReturn=0) .. Am I doing it wrong ? If you do it a month in advance (the furthest it lets you) it's about $24! I'd love ~15 though!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”