Cornell Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
toothbrush

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Postby toothbrush » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Accidentally slept through ASD (Aka I didn't wake up at 4am to make the drive as planned...)

Starting off my Cornell career right ?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:35 pm

Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:
Lavitz wrote:I've heard the consensus is to fly into Syracuse as opposed to the Ithaca-Tompkins Regional Airport. Don't remember why and I'm not sure what the preferred method is for getting from Syracuse to Ithaca.

Can someone speak on this? I will be visiting soon and there are plenty of flights going into the Ithaca airport.

Ok, since I started it, I figured I should look up where I heard this again. It was page 21 of the taking questions thread, posted in 2007. So...my info is probably outdated :lol: Here's a quote, and it's more about outgoing flights:

LeahNic wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:
l'arte d'arrangiarsi wrote:1. re COL in ithaca, how much is a smallish 1bd? and a studio?

2. where is the nearest airport?

3. how long is a train/bus ride to NYC?

1. depends on where you live. in collegetown (right next to the law school), 1BR runs 1000-1400, studio runs about 800-1100. If you live 1/4 mile away from the law school in lower collegetown or the commons, 1BR is like 650-1000 and studio more like 500-850. you can live a little further out for quite cheap. i lived in hughes this year, which is about 10 feet from the law school, and paid $777/month for a room with all utilities, but share a bathroom, and have access to a common kitchen. Next year I'm living in a 380 sq. ft. one-bedroom in lower collegetown for $690 including heat/water, which is considered a pretty good deal.

2. there's an airport in ithaca, but i'd never use it, since it's very expensive and doesn't go direct to anywhere i want to go. the nearest decent ones are in syracuse (1 hour away) and rochester (2 hours away), though you can get better deals out of buffalo (3 hours away) and NYC (4-5 hours away).

3. there is no train station in ithaca. there used to be; now it's a bank. on the bus, it takes about 4-6 hours depending on what bus you take.

Currently the airport has some really good deals-- $200ish roundtrip from Houston etc. You just have to check for the deals more frequently. 3 airlines fly into Ithaca.

Its also pretty easy to live a couple of miles away from the law school because the 10 and 30 bus go right to it very frequently. So, if you are worried about money-- you can pick a further distance (make sure its on a bus route) and live cheaper.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:40 pm

CR2012 wrote:Psyched to meet you dude. From what I gather we will jive well.

Is there still a chance that you will be going to Harvard?

Yeah, as long as I'm that waitlist, there's a chance. Also a chance I'd go to Columbia or Chicago if they offer enough money off the WL, though I doubt they will.

I'm assuming I'll be at Cornell though.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:46 pm

toothbrush wrote:Accidentally slept through ASD (Aka I didn't wake up at 4am to make the drive as planned...)

Starting off my Cornell career right ?

Awesome haha.

Arkham

Postby Arkham » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Yeah, as long as I'm that waitlist, there's a chance.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, on the Harvard wait list, but accepted at Cornell. You think if you get taken by Harvard you'll go no matter what? I think I'd find it pretty hard to say no, ha.

*edited to fix quote

Rev. Cherrycoke

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:
Lavitz wrote:I've heard the consensus is to fly into Syracuse as opposed to the Ithaca-Tompkins Regional Airport. Don't remember why and I'm not sure what the preferred method is for getting from Syracuse to Ithaca.

Can someone speak on this? I will be visiting soon and there are plenty of flights going into the Ithaca airport.

Ok, since I started it, I figured I should look up where I heard this again. It was page 21 of the taking questions thread, posted in 2007. So...my info is probably outdated :lol: Here's a quote, and it's more about outgoing flights:

LeahNic wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:
l'arte d'arrangiarsi wrote:1. re COL in ithaca, how much is a smallish 1bd? and a studio?

2. where is the nearest airport?

3. how long is a train/bus ride to NYC?

1. depends on where you live. in collegetown (right next to the law school), 1BR runs 1000-1400, studio runs about 800-1100. If you live 1/4 mile away from the law school in lower collegetown or the commons, 1BR is like 650-1000 and studio more like 500-850. you can live a little further out for quite cheap. i lived in hughes this year, which is about 10 feet from the law school, and paid $777/month for a room with all utilities, but share a bathroom, and have access to a common kitchen. Next year I'm living in a 380 sq. ft. one-bedroom in lower collegetown for $690 including heat/water, which is considered a pretty good deal.

2. there's an airport in ithaca, but i'd never use it, since it's very expensive and doesn't go direct to anywhere i want to go. the nearest decent ones are in syracuse (1 hour away) and rochester (2 hours away), though you can get better deals out of buffalo (3 hours away) and NYC (4-5 hours away).

3. there is no train station in ithaca. there used to be; now it's a bank. on the bus, it takes about 4-6 hours depending on what bus you take.

Currently the airport has some really good deals-- $200ish roundtrip from Houston etc. You just have to check for the deals more frequently. 3 airlines fly into Ithaca.

Its also pretty easy to live a couple of miles away from the law school because the 10 and 30 bus go right to it very frequently. So, if you are worried about money-- you can pick a further distance (make sure its on a bus route) and live cheaper.

Thanks for this. I didn't know if there were any other reasons to avoid the Ithaca airport besides price/convenience. I just did a quick comparison and flying into/out of Syracuse is about the same as flying into/out of Ithaca. So I'll be skipping the hour drive.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:47 pm

At Cornell's ASD right now; just gotta say, what a lovely campus and what friendly people.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:49 pm

Arkham wrote:Yeah, I'm in the same boat, on the Harvard wait list, but accepted at Cornell. You think if you get taken by Harvard you'll go no matter what? I think I'd find it pretty hard to say no, ha.

If you asked me this a few months ago, I would've said Harvard without a doubt. But now, for what I want to do with my degree, I'm not sure if even Harvard is worth $150K more than Cornell. :? I'd have to see Harvard's financial aid package and solicit opinions before making a decision.

smdpnp wrote:At Cornell's ASD right now; just gotta say, what a lovely campus and what friendly people.

I'm glad you agree with me :)

Arkham

Postby Arkham » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:06 am

If you asked me this a few months ago, I would've said Harvard without a doubt. But now, for what I want to do with my degree, I'm not sure if even Harvard is worth $150K more than Cornell. I'd have to see Harvard's financial aid package and solicit opinions before making a decision.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't really know what I want to do with my degree, but 150k is a pretty big difference. Plus, my family is pretty well off, so I doubt that Harvard would give me much money.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:12 am

Arkham wrote:
If you asked me this a few months ago, I would've said Harvard without a doubt. But now, for what I want to do with my degree, I'm not sure if even Harvard is worth $150K more than Cornell. I'd have to see Harvard's financial aid package and solicit opinions before making a decision.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't really know what I want to do with my degree, but 150k is a pretty big difference. Plus, my family is pretty well off, so I doubt that Harvard would give me much money.

I'm in a similar position, except I didn't get a full ride (or close to it) at Cornell. However, I think that for people who have no idea what they want to do with their degree (me..) Harvard opens up more doors and possibilities. However, that debt is indeed limiting so that's the trade off. It's like you pay to have more options that can't necessarily take (because of the debt.)

Arkham

Postby Arkham » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:19 pm

toothbrush wrote:
Arkham wrote:

I'm in a similar position, except I didn't get a full ride (or close to it) at Cornell. However, I think that for people who have no idea what they want to do with their degree (me..) Harvard opens up more doors and possibilities. However, that debt is indeed limiting so that's the trade off. It's like you pay to have more options that can't necessarily take (because of the debt.)

Word, that's exactly it. Definitely a double-edged sword in that way. Like, I want everywhere to want me (more chance of that from Harvard), but I don't want to be forced into a job for the salary to pay off debt. At this point, I still think I would take Harvard, but am still thrilled with the possibility of going to Cornell and graduating with relatively little debt.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 am

Guys, noob question of the day.

How do you guys pay the deposit? Is their a credit card option?

Rev. Cherrycoke

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:26 pm

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Guys, noob question of the day.

How do you guys pay the deposit? Is their a credit card option?

Unfortunately there isn't. You have to send them a check or money order or fax them a sheet containing your bank account info so they can debit your account.

acs507

Postby acs507 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Trying to decide if I want to live in Hughes or not. I know the kitchen is communal but does anyone know what the bathroom situation is like there? Is it one bathroom per suite? Or one per floor?

Andoffwego

Postby Andoffwego » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Pretty good admitted students day the last few days. What are everyone's thoughts? The class experience was not as scary as I thought. The panel with current students was a little strange, but interesting. Everyone else?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:26 pm

acs507 wrote:Trying to decide if I want to live in Hughes or not. I know the kitchen is communal but does anyone know what the bathroom situation is like there? Is it one bathroom per suite? Or one per floor?

One per suite.

Arkham

Postby Arkham » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm

acs507 wrote:Trying to decide if I want to live in Hughes or not. I know the kitchen is communal but does anyone know what the bathroom situation is like there? Is it one bathroom per suite? Or one per floor?

Yeah, like Lavitz said, it's one per suite of 2-5 people. There's a sample floor plan that can be seen on page 11 of this brochure:

http://living.sas.cornell.edu/live/contracts/rates/upload/Graduate-Housing-Brochure-2013-14_readers-spread_150.pdf

acs507

Postby acs507 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Arkham wrote:

Yeah, like Lavitz said, it's one per suite of 2-5 people. There's a sample floor plan that can be seen on page 11 of this brochure:

http://living.sas.cornell.edu/live/contracts/rates/upload/Graduate-Housing-Brochure-2013-14_readers-spread_150.pdf

Awesome. Thanks, that brochure is super helpful.

Rev. Cherrycoke

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:46 pm

When you receive your room assignment, do they tell you how many other people will be in your suite?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:When you receive your room assignment, do they tell you how many other people will be in your suite?

Nope.

And as far as I know, there's no way to find out prior to showing up. Unless you want to give a current student your room number and have them scope it out for you. I guess that could work. :lol:

Editing this for future generations reading this: In late June, we could check the housing application page and see who our roommates were.
Last edited by Lavitz on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guyonabuffalo

Postby guyonabuffalo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 am

Hey guys,

Haven't exactly done my due diligence on this thread, so this question may have already been asked (sorry!) -

Just got my contract for moving into the dorms with an e-mail noting 14 days to sign before I lose my spot. There is a very very good chance I will be heading to Cornell in the Fall, but there are still a few waitlist options I am considering. Is there any way I can hold onto a spot in the dorms without having to sign the contract? I'd like to be able to take advantage of possible waitlist accepts without that $800 cancellation policy...

Thanks!

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:45 am

guyonabuffalo wrote:Hey guys,

Haven't exactly done my due diligence on this thread, so this question may have already been asked (sorry!) -

Just got my contract for moving into the dorms with an e-mail noting 14 days to sign before I lose my spot. There is a very very good chance I will be heading to Cornell in the Fall, but there are still a few waitlist options I am considering. Is there any way I can hold onto a spot in the dorms without having to sign the contract? I'd like to be able to take advantage of possible waitlist accepts without that $800 cancellation policy...

Thanks!

I don't have access to the contract right now but I'm pretty sure it says that if you inform Cornell that you'll be attending another school before July 1st, you don't have to pay any cancellation fees. Obviously this doesn't cover the whole summer but at least it's something.

ETA: Yeah, it's under Section IV, #5. And it's only $250 after July 1st.

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:04 am

For those of you who have deposited, did you receive an email confirming the deposit?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:02 am

CR2012 wrote:For those of you who have deposited, did you receive an email confirming the deposit?

Yes, although it takes them a while to send it. I mailed my deposit on a Monday and when I didn't receive an e-mail by that Friday, I e-mailed them and they unofficially confirmed they received it. I didn't receive the official confirmation e-mail until the following Tuesday.

acs507

Postby acs507 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Lavitz wrote:
CR2012 wrote:For those of you who have deposited, did you receive an email confirming the deposit?

Yes, although it takes them a while to send it. I mailed my deposit on a Monday and when I didn't receive an e-mail by that Friday, I e-mailed them and they unofficially confirmed they received it. I didn't receive the official confirmation e-mail until the following Tuesday.

Agreed. As with quite a few things, Cornell's slow on this. Took them over a week to confirm that they had received my first seat deposit.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”