Cornell Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
CR2012

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Postby CR2012 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:11 pm

toothbrush wrote:
CR2012 wrote:Just got the accepted student handbook in the mail. Not going to lie, I didn't anticipate it being an actual hardcover book. I am very impressed. It also cost them over 20 dollars to ship it to me. I hope they don't take that out of any potential scholarship I might receive :shock:

How long after acceptance did you get it?

I was accepted on the 12th of March, and they shipped it on the 29th (I live abroad).

BronxBlu21

Postby BronxBlu21 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:53 pm

Quick question, for those of you who were accepted and attended admitted students weekend, was it worth it / should you go to admitted students weekend? In addition, did you guys sign up for all the events on Friday and Saturday? Or is attending all the events on Friday enough?

Please let me know about your experience, I really appreciate it.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:10 pm

BronxBlu21 wrote:Quick question, for those of you who were accepted and attended admitted students weekend, was it worth it / should you go to admitted students weekend? In addition, did you guys sign up for all the events on Friday and Saturday? Or is attending all the events on Friday enough?

Please let me know about your experience, I really appreciate it.

I definitely thought it was worth it and I recommend going. But since you're already an undergrad at Cornell, there's really no need for you to attend the brunch and campus tour on Saturday. I enjoyed the tour but that's because I'd never been to Cornell, so it was nice to learn about it. Also, the brunch lacked protein--just saying.

But really, even if you don't sign up for Saturday, you can still show up--that's what I did.

Still recommend going that Friday, especially if you're torn between schools. The tour, presentations and student panel were all very informative. And of course, it was fun hanging out with everyone.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:15 pm

comeonletsgo wrote:ME OBVI. COME ON LAVITZ

notsureifsrs

I don't remember you talking about gyms at all.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:19 pm

turn left wrote:Got the answer to my appeal, up to 10k/year from 7. Still not much but I have living expenses mostly covered so I'll be attending. Very excited to be moving up to Ithaca!

Congrats! Nice to see people who are actually excited about Ithaca.

comeonletsgo

Postby comeonletsgo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Lavitz wrote:
comeonletsgo wrote:ME OBVI. COME ON LAVITZ

notsureifsrs

I don't remember you talking about gyms at all.

>:(

i'm a champion lifter (and by that i mean i'm great at stealing and eating mambar's shakes)

BronxBlu21

Postby BronxBlu21 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:34 pm

^ shake weight ?!?!?! :D

Good stuff Lavitz, i figured i might as well check it out since i'm already here ... and yeah no protein at breakfast must've been real disappointing haha

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:53 pm

To be honest, we had mini quiches at breakfast. eggs = protein. :wink:

BronxBlu21

Postby BronxBlu21 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:42 pm

iMisto wrote:To be honest, we had mini quiches at breakfast. eggs = protein. :wink:

iMisto has got you there Lavitz, unless of course you don't like eggs, in which case there was no protein for you :shock:

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:55 pm

BronxBlu21 wrote:
iMisto wrote:To be honest, we had mini quiches at breakfast. eggs = protein. :wink:

iMisto has got you there Lavitz, unless of course you don't like eggs, in which case there was no protein for you :shock:

It's a running gag that I always fail to notice certain food items at ASWs.

Though I do vaguely remember quiches being present, I'm not really a fan.

Fortunately, I always come prepared with turkey sandwiches. I had one while parked at a gas station on the way to Ithaca the first day and one before the brunch on the second day. 8)

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:10 am

Lavitz wrote:
BronxBlu21 wrote:

It's a running gag that I always fail to notice certain food items at ASWs.

Though I do vaguely remember quiches being present, I'm not really a fan.

Fortunately, I always come prepared with turkey sandwiches. I had one while parked at a gas station on the way to Ithaca the first day and one before the brunch on the second day. 8)

I, too, try to obviate any protein-deficient breakfast scenarios. I always bring some whey with me and have a shake as soon as I wake up in the morning.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:20 am

Since we're on the topic... does anybody have a favorite flavor of ISOPURE? I made the mistake of assuming banana would taste like bananas (shit tastes like laffytaffy!).

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:33 am

iMisto wrote:Since we're on the topic... does anybody have a favorite flavor of ISOPURE? I made the mistake of assuming banana would taste like bananas (shit tastes like laffytaffy!).

Never tried ISOPURE, but the stuff I just bought is blueberry yogurt flavor. Kind of taste like cotton candy, though.

BronxBlu21

Postby BronxBlu21 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:05 pm

iMisto wrote:Since we're on the topic... does anybody have a favorite flavor of ISOPURE? I made the mistake of assuming banana would taste like bananas (shit tastes like laffytaffy!).

never tried that either, i just stick to good old whey protein, good stuff and no creatine :D

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:11 pm

CR2012 wrote:

Never tried ISOPURE, but the stuff I just bought is blueberry yogurt flavor. Kind of taste like cotton candy, though.

Yeah, I've never used Isopure either. I use Optimum Nutrition and my favorite flavor is cookies & cream. I think they changed the formula about 3 years ago and it hasn't been as good since then, although I'm sure it'd taste better if I mixed it with milk instead of water. Cake batter was also great when I switched things up a few months ago.

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:57 am

Is there a projected figure of what Cornell costs at sticker?

LST has it at 271,785
The Georgetown calculator has it at 277,213

Also, does anyone know which figure to put into the Michigan Debt wizard calculator? I looked at the "Defining our terms" section and it says:
Each increment is meant to represent anticipated loan principal, but our calculations account for the associated interest; in other words, a principal debt of $150,000 actually costs more to pay off because of interest that accumulates, and our model recognizes that.

So, do you input the total amount borrowed including interest accumulated during law school? Or just the principal loan amount you take out?

Just brainstorming here, haven't heard back on aid.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Dang.. Unfortunately, protein tends to give me the worst farts, so I stick to isopure. Syntha-6 was delicious and never gave me problems, but those calories!!!

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:18 pm

iMisto wrote:Dang.. Unfortunately, protein tends to give me the worst farts, so I stick to isopure. Syntha-6 was delicious and never gave me problems, but those calories!!!

Those protein farts are seriously the worst. Worse for everyone else around me, but still.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Yeah, I think ph just ditched us.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Lavitz wrote:Yeah, I think ph just ditched us.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:00 pm

I love you guys, and I'm still going to Cornell's ASW before I deposit anywhere, but I did some serious TLS-free soul searching this weekend and I think I know where I'm supposed to be.

If anyone here wants a temporary mom in Ithaca, let me know. I can hook you up.

Rev. Cherrycoke

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:35 pm

It now looks like I will most likely end up at Cornell, so hopefully one of you will be kind enough to give me a quick housing 101. I'm looking for something cheap (under $1,000 a month) and as close to the school as possible (ideally, I would like to walk, avoid hills, and not rely on public transportation).

My understanding is that Collegetown is where most students live and it is closer to the school, but it is pricey. Downtown is cheaper but at the bottom of a hill. Hughes Hall is dormy and perhaps too close to the school. Where are some of you going to live? And where did you look for housing? I did a quick google search for Ithaca housing and found a whole bunch of sites offering different places. Is there a website that allows me to search many listings?

With regards to Hughes, I read that they have 2-5 person suites. Can you pick a suite or at least state your preference? I wouldn't mind living with one or two people (as I have done this in the past), but living with three or four other people would be a completely new experience that I'm not too keen on having during 1L.

Any housing advice or recommendations will be appreciated.

Edit: can someone speak on the other graduate housing options? Hasbrouck, Maplewood, and Thurston Ct have decent prices for a studio and one bedroom.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 pm

ph, do you know something about Ithaca that I don't? I'm beginning to think I've made a terrible mistake :lol: (not really)

Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:It now looks like I will most likely end up at Cornell, so hopefully one of you will be kind enough to give me a quick housing 101. I'm looking for something cheap (under $1,000 a month) and as close to the school as possible (ideally, I would like to walk, avoid hills, and not rely on public transportation).

My understanding is that Collegetown is where most students live and it is closer to the school, but it is pricey. Downtown is cheaper but at the bottom of a hill. Hughes Hall is dormy and perhaps too close to the school. Where are some of you going to live? And where did you look for housing? I did a quick google search for Ithaca housing and found a whole bunch of sites offering different places. Is there a website that allows me to search many listings?

With regards to Hughes, I read that they have 2-5 person suites. Can you pick a suite or at least state your preference? I wouldn't mind living with one or two people (as I have done this in the past), but living with three or four other people would be a completely new experience that I'm not too keen on having during 1L.

Edit: can someone speak on the other graduate housing options? Hasbrouck, Maplewood, and Thurston Ct have decent prices for a studio and one bedroom.

You may want to ask this in the--never mind, I see you posted it there too. :lol:

If you have questions about Hughes, you should PM Lacepiece23, since he'll be the GCA for Hughes next year.

If you're looking for a roommate, you can PM BronxBlu21, since he's been looking for one.

I think the admitted students handbook also has a list of sites you can use. I posted this one earlier in the thread because I never received the handbook and thought I was sharing something new. :lol:

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:It now looks like I will most likely end up at Cornell, so hopefully one of you will be kind enough to give me a quick housing 101. I'm looking for something cheap (under $1,000 a month) and as close to the school as possible (ideally, I would like to walk, avoid hills, and not rely on public transportation).

Most places in collegetown are single family houses that have been converted to apartments. As such, they generally arenot run by big rental companies. I would look on Craigslist, thats where I found the place I live now and the place im living 2L year.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

Most places in collegetown are single family houses that have been converted to apartments. As such, they generally arenot run by big rental companies. I would look on Craigslist, thats where I found the place I live now and the place im living 2L year.

How do you like it? What do you pay / month ? (if you don't mind...)

On a side note.. I feel like I may end up at Cornell for sure but I'm too scared to go apartment hunting yet. Lavitz, since I know you have HLS pending and such.. are you worried about getting a place already or you feel it's okay to wait til June ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”