Cornell Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
igotolawschool

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Postby igotolawschool » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:24 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:waiting for the section assignment :!:

I keep refreshing the student class schedule website in anticipation! The waiting is driving me nuts...

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:24 am

This feels like waiting for LSAT scores. Could be anytime this week.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:44 am

Lavitz wrote:

This feels like waiting for LSAT scores. Could be anytime this week.

Why the refresh? You'll know when you know. And you're stuck with it.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:48 am

gonewiththewind wrote:Why the refresh? You'll know when you know. And you're stuck with it.

I never said I was refreshing ;)

I am eagerly anticipating, but it's just the whole "not knowing which day" thing that makes it feel like the score release.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Lavitz wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Why the refresh? You'll know when you know. And you're stuck with it.

I am eagerly anticipating, but it's just the whole "not knowing which day" thing that makes it feel like the score release.

Hopefully your section is full of cool non-gunners.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:08 pm

igotolawschool wrote:I keep refreshing the student class schedule website in anticipation! The waiting is driving me nuts...

Lavitz wrote:This feels like waiting for LSAT scores. Could be anytime this week.

:mrgreen: good to know it's just not me

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Just some friendly advice: mentors are usually assigned based on undergraduate institutions. If you don't get a great mentor, approach the upperclassmen anyway because they usually have useful things to say (ex: Arbiter).

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:23 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:Just some friendly advice: mentors are usually assigned based on undergraduate institutions. If you don't get a great mentor, approach the upperclassmen anyway because they usually have useful things to say (ex: Arbiter).

Let's not oversell things here.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Just some friendly advice: mentors are usually assigned based on undergraduate institutions. If you don't get a great mentor, approach the upperclassmen anyway because they usually have useful things to say (ex: Arbiter).

Let's not oversell things here.

I'd have cited Lincoln, but he never randomly gave me advice right before finals.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:10 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:Just some friendly advice: mentors are usually assigned based on undergraduate institutions.

Had a feeling that was the case. I wonder what they're going to do with me. :lol:

Any idea when we find out about those? I know there's a reception on 9/3, but do some mentors e-mail their mentees before then?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:17 pm

Lavitz wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Just some friendly advice: mentors are usually assigned based on undergraduate institutions.

Had a feeling that was the case. I wonder what they're going to do with me. :lol:

Any idea when we find out about those? I know there's a reception on 9/3, but do some mentors e-mail their mentees before then?

On our end, the form to fill out to become a mentor wasn't due until 8/1. So I imagine that they are still matching people up.

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:50 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Hopefully your section is full of cool non-gunners.

+1

Lavitz wrote:

I just checked when I was first e-mailed by my CLSA mentor. 8/23, which was the second day of classes.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks. I won't expect anything soon then.

Looks like today's not the day for schedules.

Yumizzz

Postby Yumizzz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:03 am

The scholarship still appears as pending credits on my account, although it seems that it should have been disbursed on Aug. 8. Anyways, I only paid the part excluding the aid, and I am now having a past due amount. Not sure what's going on. Anyone having similar situation?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:12 am

Yumizzz wrote:The scholarship still appears as pending credits on my account, although it seems that it should have been disbursed on Aug. 8. Anyways, I only paid the part excluding the aid, and I am now having a past due amount. Not sure what's going on. Anyone having similar situation?

I think there was just a delay in either loans being disbursed or in processing the bill payments. I have a past due amount, my due date is still August 7th, and I don't have a new bill for this month.

Are you paying with loans / do your credits exceed your debits on the bill? Then you didn't need to do anything.

If not, and you were paying the difference out-of-pocket, then I'm guessing you did the right thing by paying the total amount minus the scholarship. But none of that has been processed yet, so it's going to continue saying you have a past due amount until the next billing cycle (whenever they put up the next bill).

I hope that makes sense.

Yumizzz

Postby Yumizzz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 am

Lavitz wrote:
Yumizzz wrote:The scholarship still appears as pending credits on my account, although it seems that it should have been disbursed on Aug. 8. Anyways, I only paid the part excluding the aid, and I am now having a past due amount. Not sure what's going on. Anyone having similar situation?

I think there was just a delay in either loans being disbursed or in processing the bill payments. I have a past due amount, my due date is still August 7th, and I don't have a new bill for this month.

Are you paying with loans / do your credits exceed your debits on the bill? Then you didn't need to do anything.

If not, and you were paying the difference out-of-pocket, then I'm guessing you did the right thing by paying the total amount minus the scholarship. But none of that has been processed yet, so it's going to continue saying you have a past due amount until the next billing cycle (whenever they put up the next bill).

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks a lot! That sounds reasonable. Actually, I have received the new bill on housing, since I'll live on campus. The new one will be due next month, so I guess I do not have to consider it now. What confuses me is that there is still no update with the pending credits, given that a new billing cycle has begun.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:03 am

Yumizzz wrote:Thanks a lot! That sounds reasonable. Actually, I have received the new bill on housing, since I'll live on campus. The new one will be due next month, so I guess I do not have to consider it now. What confuses me is that there is still no update with the pending credits, given that a new billing cycle has begun.

Oh, so you'll be living in Hughes with me? :)

My housing charge was included in the first bill, but maybe you got your room assigned more recently.

I really don't know about the pending credits. Maybe they're waiting for loans to be disbursed before doing anything.

Ediit: Just noticed my past due balance in Student Center dropped by the amount of my scholarship. It's just the balance to be paid by loans which is now outstanding.

Yumizzz

Postby Yumizzz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:57 am

Lavitz wrote:
Yumizzz wrote:Thanks a lot! That sounds reasonable. Actually, I have received the new bill on housing, since I'll live on campus. The new one will be due next month, so I guess I do not have to consider it now. What confuses me is that there is still no update with the pending credits, given that a new billing cycle has begun.

Oh, so you'll be living in Hughes with me? :)

My housing charge was included in the first bill, but maybe you got your room assigned more recently.

I really don't know about the pending credits. Maybe they're waiting for loans to be disbursed before doing anything.

Ediit: Just noticed my past due balance in Student Center dropped by the amount of my scholarship. It's just the balance to be paid by loans which is now outstanding.

Just checked the Student Center and noticed a drop of the balance too! I guess that was just a delay.
So you will be living in Hughes? I was assigned to other graduate housing not to Hughes.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 am

Yumizzz wrote:Just checked the Student Center and noticed a drop of the balance too! I guess that was just a delay.
So you will be living in Hughes? I was assigned to other graduate housing not to Hughes.

Ah ok. Yes, I'll be in Hughes.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Everyone taking out Federal loans get that e-mail? Looks like they'll be disbursed on the 19th.

highopes337

Postby highopes337 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Yup, I got the email. Getting excited, I should be in Ithaca tomorrow night.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm

AOPers and any other 1Ls yours truly will be going out Saturday night along with some 2Ls if they don't have callbacks. Anyone who would like to join please let me know. Also, if this could be reposted to your Facebook group I would appreciate. I think theres like 8 of you who will be moved into Hughes by then so if interested try to get in contact with those ppl.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:AOPers and any other 1Ls yours truly will be going out Saturday night along with some 2Ls if they don't have callbacks. Anyone who would like to join please let me know. Also, if this could be reposted to your Facebook group I would appreciate. I think theres like 8 of you who will be moved into Hughes by then so if interested try to get in contact with those ppl.

Since I'm not going to be there, would it be weird if I posted "hey guys, I know a 2L who's going out Saturday with a group of 2Ls. If you want to join them, feel free to contact him at [presuming you'd give me contact info]"?

Or I can just add you to the group if you want.

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:AOPers and any other 1Ls yours truly will be going out Saturday night along with some 2Ls if they don't have callbacks. Anyone who would like to join please let me know. Also, if this could be reposted to your Facebook group I would appreciate. I think theres like 8 of you who will be moved into Hughes by then so if interested try to get in contact with those ppl.

post that on the 2L page too i think ppl with callbacks might also be in ithaca for the weekend

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Since I'm not going to be there, would it be weird if I posted "hey guys, I know a 2L who's going out Saturday with a group of 2Ls. If you want to join them, feel free to contact him at [presuming you'd give me contact info]"?

Or I can just add you to the group if you want.

Just add me to the group.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”