Cornell Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
RetakeFrenzy

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:49 am

gonewiththewind wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:I know it's really late, but what kind of meal plan do Cornell Law students usually get?

Cornell just has so many options :o

Depends on where you're living/how many times you actually plan on eating at the dining halls. Also, look up the hours for the dining halls closest to MTH first to see if they'd fit your schedule.

Thanks! I'll live in Collegetown :D

Looks like the only All-you-care-to-eat dining hall in the central campus is Okenshields?

At this point, I have no idea how my schedule would look like, though....

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:39 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:I know it's really late, but what kind of meal plan do Cornell Law students usually get?

Cornell just has so many options :o

Depends on where you're living/how many times you actually plan on eating at the dining halls. Also, look up the hours for the dining halls closest to MTH first to see if they'd fit your schedule.

Thanks! I'll live in Collegetown :D

Looks like the only All-you-care-to-eat dining hall in the central campus is Okenshields?

At this point, I have no idea how my schedule would look like, though....

Okenshields is the closest, but right down the hill from MTH (near the Noyes gym) are like 4-5 such all-you-can-eat dining halls (Becker/Cook/Keeton/Rose/?). Also, you should know roughly how your 1L schedule will look like; I'm not sure if you know what section you are yet, but there's a fall schedule out (so you can see what the latest 1L class on each day would be).

A lot of people either eat lunch at Hughes Dining (now renamed? I'm not sure if it's actually still open) or bring their own lunch.

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:57 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:Hughes Dining (now renamed? I'm not sure if it's actually still open)

Not just renamed, a completely new eatery with a new owner.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:01 pm

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:Hughes Dining (now renamed? I'm not sure if it's actually still open)

Hoping this is a good thing.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Hoping this is a good thing.

It is. The new proprietor also runs Manndibles at Mann library (which is an excellent library located in the Ag Quad, btw). Manndibles is far and away the best food on campus, maybe even including Collegetown, so you guys are in luck.

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Ha, Manndibles. Cute name.

highopes337

Postby highopes337 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Lincoln wrote:It is. The new proprietor also runs Manndibles at Mann library (which is an excellent library located in the Ag Quad, btw). Manndibles is far and away the best food on campus, maybe even including Collegetown, so you guys are in luck.

Sweet

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:03 pm

highopes337 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:It is. The new proprietor also runs Manndibles at Mann library (which is an excellent library located in the Ag Quad, btw). Manndibles is far and away the best food on campus, maybe even including Collegetown, so you guys are in luck.

Sweet

That's good. Is Karen(?) still working there though?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:10 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:
highopes337 wrote:

Sweet

Last I talked to her the answer was no, which is bullshit.

Also, the name is Forks and Gavels.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
gonewiththewind wrote:
highopes337 wrote:

Sweet

Last I talked to her the answer was no, which is bullshit.

Also, the name is Forks and Gavels.

Seriously? Forks and Gavels? Lame. And doubly lame on Karen not working there. Is it going to be all new staff then, or are some of the old people returning?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:06 am

If any of you do not have housing yet, we have a bedroom open in a six bedroom apartment in collegetown. It's right behind Chapter house, less than a 10 minute walk from the law school. $720 a month, utilities included. We are all 2Ls. PM me for more details.

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:34 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:Seriously? Forks and Gavels? Lame.

Fork & Gavel in the singular. Picked by the owner + an online vote that was sent out.

gonewiththewind wrote:Is it going to be all new staff then, or are some of the old people returning?

I overheard the guy who usually runs the cash register say that he thought the place was shutting down entirely, and if not, the people who worked there before haven't been told to come back.

highopes337

Postby highopes337 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:40 am

What do you guys think of the tuition insurance? Seems like a waste of $...

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 am

I wouldn't buy it.

gonewiththewind

Postby gonewiththewind » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:10 pm

gonewiththewind wrote:Seriously? Forks and Gavels? Lame.

Fork & Gavel in the singular. Picked by the owner + an online vote that was sent out.

gonewiththewind wrote:Is it going to be all new staff then, or are some of the old people returning?

I overheard the guy who usually runs the cash register say that he thought the place was shutting down entirely, and if not, the people who worked there before haven't been told to come back.

That's a little depressing.

highopes337

Postby highopes337 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:26 pm

ImNoScar wrote:I wouldn't buy it.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. What are the chances I'll have to drop out of school due to an "approved" medical condition...?

MischiefMayhemSoap

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:20 pm

highopes337 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:I wouldn't buy it.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. What are the chances I'll have to drop out of school due to an "approved" medical condition...?

Unless insanity and depression are covered, very little.

Just kidding. 1L is great and is full of rainbows and cupcakes.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:42 pm

To the 1l's, 2l's, and knowledgeable folk- what's the deal with bikes in Ithaca? Should I bring mine? I think this was discussed before but I've started biking again and feel like it may be convenient? Are there racks near the law school and do people ride bikes (when the weather permits)? Is it "fun" or a waste of time?

BFrankBYangC

Postby BFrankBYangC » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:11 pm

IDK there's a lot of big ass hills. Also bikes + ice seems like bad news to me.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:27 pm

BFrankBYangC wrote:IDK there's a lot of big ass hills. Also bikes + ice seems like bad news to me.

Yeah, them hills are crazy. I figured the bike + ice combo is a no-go. I'm honestly curious how many "ok" days there are in Ithaca? I mean, I know it snows, and I know it's cold. But how long does that last? How much snow / ice is there ?

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:36 pm

Hi all!

Would you all recommend a meal plan? I was planning to just prepare my own meals to cut costs but I don't know how feasible that is given the workload. Any thoughts?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:38 pm

toothbrush wrote:
BFrankBYangC wrote:IDK there's a lot of big ass hills. Also bikes + ice seems like bad news to me.

Yeah, them hills are crazy. I figured the bike + ice combo is a no-go. I'm honestly curious how many "ok" days there are in Ithaca? I mean, I know it snows, and I know it's cold. But how long does that last? How much snow / ice is there ?

Last year there wasn't too much snow. It's mostly the bitter cold that's annoying, and that lasts the better part of the academic year. In August and September, the weathers great, people eat outside and life is nice.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:40 pm

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Hi all!

Would you all recommend a meal plan? I was planning to just prepare my own meals to cut costs but I don't know how feasible that is given the workload. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't get one unless you're in Hughes. If you don't want to cook there's a lot available in Collegetown. I cooked almost every day though and didn't find it to really interfere that much.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks!

That's really good to know. Not in Hughes so I didn't see the point of trudging to a dining hall.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 pm

toothbrush wrote:To the 1l's, 2l's, and knowledgeable folk- what's the deal with bikes in Ithaca? Should I bring mine? I think this was discussed before but I've started biking again and feel like it may be convenient? Are there racks near the law school and do people ride bikes (when the weather permits)? Is it "fun" or a waste of time?

I like riding bikes, but I could never ride up this damn mountain as part of my commute.

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Hi all!

I can't think of anyone I know who got a meal plan. I can see that it's good for financial planning, but Collegetown is so much more convenient than trekking over to trillium or whatever for dinner.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”