Cornell Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Lavitz

Gold

Cornell Class of 2016

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:05 am

Orientation begins: Monday, August 26th

Classes begin: Wednesday, August 28th

Facebook Group

Admitted Students Page

Class Schedule & Book List

Academic Calendar

CLSA Portal
  • Links to pretty much everything: Blackboard, Practice Exams, Symplicity, etc.

To Do List
  • If you have not yet received your NetID, you may login using your e-mail address in order to track your progress.
  • Deadlines are not strict, but your health forms should be processed by August 9th or else you may be charge a $100 fine
  • For the health forms, the physical is not required.
  • If you do not submit a photo for your student ID, one will be taken at orientation.
  • After receiving your NetID, you may find your Cornell ID # and activate your Cornell e-mail here. (E-mail login located here.)
  • All students must submit undergraduate transcripts and the dean's certification directly to the law school before matriculating.
  • Remember to sign up for Net.Pay starting July 13th so that you may pay your bill by August 7th. If you have applied for student loans, they will show up as pending credits.
  • Commuters & Hughes residents may apply for parking permits starting August 1st.
  • Deadline to waive student health insurance plan is September 30th.

Student Center
  • Requires NetID to login.
  • Section lists will be posted in early August.
  • Can check grades, view bill, add/drop classes, etc.

Off-Campus Housing
Hughes Hall
  • Currently full.
  • 2-5 people per suite. Log in to the housing portal and check your application to see who you're living with.
  • Furnishings provided.
  • For laundry, you may add money to your ID card here.
  • Can ship belongings to your dorm in advance with Big Red Shipping.
  • Move-in begins 9AM Saturday, August 24th.
  • May move in earlier if invited to AOP.

Academic Orientation Program
  • In mid-July, most students who submitted a diversity statement with their application will be invited to attend AOP.
  • If you would like to attend but did not receive an e-mail, you can try contacting admissions and telling them you wrote a diversity statement but didn't get invited to AOP. Or you can contact Sheri Johnson directly.
  • Begins Monday, August 19th. Involves week-long mock class; establishes welcoming environment.
  • Historical justification.

Merchandise
  • CLSA will sell law school merchandise during the fall semester.
  • If you must order something law school specific now, Bear Necessities has a limited selection.
  • For generic Cornell merchandise, you may visit The Cornell Store
  • For good deals on used textbooks, check out Kraftees.
  • Note: For Clermont's CivPro class, you must purchase an i-clicker. These are cheaper if you buy from current students or buy a used, older model through Amazon.

Dining
Traveling
  • Cornell travel links (LinkRemoved).
  • Of note, Campus to Campus bus service provides transport to and from NYC for $165 round-trip.
  • Shortline and Greyhound (LinkRemoved) are less luxurious, but cheaper.
  • Flying into Ithaca's regional airport is generally not recommended, so please allow time for flight delays if you choose to do so.
  • For getting around Ithaca, TCAT bus is free for all new-to-Cornell students for the first year.
  • Ithaca also has a Carshare program (LinkRemoved) you may wish to use in lieu of bringing your own car.
  • Cornell commuting webpage.

Questions?
Recommended 0L prep
Last edited by Lavitz on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 36 times in total.

nbj08

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Post by nbj08 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:57 am

Checking in, same as OP - waiting to evaluate all options.

Could anyone give some housing insight? Collegetown is the ideal location, but those prices seem ridiculous. Is it worth it?

comeonletsgo

Bronze

Post by comeonletsgo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

nbj08 wrote:Checking in, same as OP - waiting to evaluate all options.

Could anyone give some housing insight? Collegetown is the ideal location, but those prices seem ridiculous. Is it worth it?
Agreed. I can't imagine it's worth it though since there are places that are WAY cheaper just a little further.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 am

Checking in. Congrats everyone!

boredtodeath

Silver

Post by boredtodeath » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:55 am

comeonletsgo wrote:

Agreed. I can't imagine it's worth it though since there are places that are WAY cheaper just a little further.
I went for undergrad and lived in Collegetown senior year. The prices are insane for what you get, but note that if you live pretty much anywhere in collegetown, it'll be a 5 min and under walk to the law school. The apartments/houses that are further away are just as shitty, and down a hill, which sucks to walk normally and even more so in the winter.

I would pay to live in collegetown if I had to do it again, however, as a law student, you may find it more suited to your needs to live farther away from collegetown. It is going to be loud outside your apartment pretty much every night if you live in collegetown. People go to bars almost every night of the week. If you can find something just past all the bars/restaurants you may find a good combination of distance, price, and noise level.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YesIam

New

Post by YesIam » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:29 am

Last edited by YesIam on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

YesIam

New

Post by YesIam » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:31 am

I went to Cornell. A lot of undergrads live in college-town and it does get super loud at night. The law school is within walking distance (minutes/seconds) to college-town but other places a bit farther from the law school are also good. I lived in downtown (close to the metro) for a year and my experience there was great. Rent was cheap $500, place was okay, but I am sure you can find a super nice place/apartment or single bedroom for a bit more or a bit less.

comeonletsgo

Bronze

Post by comeonletsgo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:18 am

YesIam wrote:

I went to Cornell. A lot of undergrads live in college-town and it does get super loud at night. The law school is within walking distance (minutes/seconds) to college-town but other places a bit farther from the law school are also good. I lived in downtown (close to the metro) for a year and my experience there was great. Rent was cheap $500, place was okay, but I am sure you can find a super nice place/apartment or single bedroom for a bit more or a bit less.
How far would it be from downtown to the law school?

nbj08

New

Post by nbj08 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:04 pm

comeonletsgo wrote: How far would it be from downtown to the law school?

Further, how many law students live downtown? Or where to most law students live in general?

I wouldn't want to be the black sheep living 20 minutes away from everyone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jurisdiction

New

Post by jurisdiction » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Current student here. Going to post something I wish I had when looking for housing!

Pros/Cons listed on the map. I think I drew the circles too big for collegetown and downtown, but it's to give the general idea in reference to the hills.

If I could do it again, I would have lived in Hughes, which is noisy, but connected to the school. Commuting SUCKS, especially if you sometimes bring your casebooks home. So far, it's seemed to me as though people that live very far tend to be either 2-3Ls or married. If noise is a big issue, and you don't really plan on coming back in the evening (for the library/your book locker/bar review), living very far is reasonable and much cheaper. However, if you think you may end up commuting by car, factor in the cost of a permit. Also, it is totally ideal if you can find a 9-month lease but they are very hard to come by. Factor in how much it would cost for the extra three months if you can't find a summer subletter. Additionally, taking the bus is free with a student ID.

masked kavana

Bronze

Post by masked kavana » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:12 pm

jurisdiction wrote:Current student here. Going to post something I wish I had when looking for housing!

Pros/Cons listed on the map. I think I drew the circles too big for collegetown and downtown, but it's to give the general idea in reference to the hills.

If I could do it again, I would have lived in Hughes, which is noisy, but connected to the school. Commuting SUCKS, especially if you sometimes bring your casebooks home. So far, it's seemed to me as though people that live very far tend to be either 2-3Ls or married. If noise is a big issue, and you don't really plan on coming back in the evening (for the library/your book locker/bar review), living very far is reasonable and much cheaper. However, if you think you may end up commuting by car, factor in the cost of a permit. Also, it is totally ideal if you can find a 9-month lease but they are very hard to come by. Factor in how much it would cost for the extra three months if you can't find a summer subletter. Additionally, taking the bus is free with a student ID.
As someone who would be moving with a family and car what would you consider to be the best option?

I looked at the graduate family housing and thought it was a pretty good deal but could definitely be wrong..

jurisdiction

New

Post by jurisdiction » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm

masked kavana wrote:
jurisdiction wrote:Current student here. Going to post something I wish I had when looking for housing!
(img)

As someone who would be moving with a family and car what would you consider to be the best option?

I looked at the graduate family housing and thought it was a pretty good deal but could definitely be wrong..
I may not be the best person to answer that -- you should ask in the 1/2L thread (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =4&t=41118). I haven't spoken to anyone who lived in graduate family housing. I assume it's quieter than Hughes and has the benefit of a 9-month lease option (though with the amount of rent I save by not living on campus, even if I don't find a summer subletter, I would pay about the same as someone living in the dorms for the year). I would say the same thing about avoiding hills and that closer is generally better during 1L, but I'm sure you'll have to take your S/O's job location into consideration too. Your S/O can probably also give you rides, and it's also helpful to note that parking after 5PM is free on campus. Overall, I would say that those graduate family housing options look fairly decent, so long as they're not a huge hike to MTH, especially since there'll be less of a headache for moving in and out.

comeonletsgo

Bronze

Post by comeonletsgo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:50 pm

Wow, this was incredibly helpful, thanks! Is Hughes pretty dorm-like? I don't know if I can handle that again. How's the kitchen situation?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:58 pm

comeonletsgo wrote: Wow, this was incredibly helpful, thanks! Is Hughes pretty dorm-like? I don't know if I can handle that again. How's the kitchen situation?
Hughes is pretty dorm like from what I hear. I dont live there but have been there several times. It seems to work great for social people, especially when there is more time at the beginning of the semester.
I live in upper collegetown (the right side of the map) which has better prices than a lot of collegetown and no hills. The downside is that its not close to any of the restaurants or bars in c-town, which doesn't bother me and means it quieter at night anyway.
I would start looking early. I looked at places and signed a lease in March at ASW, and I ended up with better prices than my friends that got places during the summer.

comeonletsgo

Bronze

Post by comeonletsgo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
comeonletsgo wrote: Wow, this was incredibly helpful, thanks! Is Hughes pretty dorm-like? I don't know if I can handle that again. How's the kitchen situation?
Hughes is pretty dorm like from what I hear. I dont live there but have been there several times. It seems to work great for social people, especially when there is more time at the beginning of the semester.
I live in upper collegetown (the right side of the map) which has better prices than a lot of collegetown and no hills. The downside is that its not close to any of the restaurants or bars in c-town, which doesn't bother me and means it quieter at night anyway.
I would start looking early. I looked at places and signed a lease in March at ASW, and I ended up with better prices than my friends that got places during the summer.
Thanks! I'm going to PM you

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:10 pm

i'll probably see you guys at ASW to check the school out while deciding

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Heeeeyyyy!

Which admit day is everyone going to? Do TLSers tend to be incognito?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

comeonletsgo

Bronze

Post by comeonletsgo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:41 pm

iMisto wrote:Heeeeyyyy!

Which admit day is everyone going to? Do TLSers tend to be incognito?
DID YOU GET IN?!

Idk I'm probably not going to advertise that I'm a TLSer haha. Thinking about going to the March ASW

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:31 pm

i'll be there march 9th i think it is? probably.

and i wouldn't advertise it personally except i just realized my picture is in my avatar lol. oops

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 pm

learntolift wrote:i'll be there march 9th i think it is? probably.

and i wouldn't advertise it personally except i just realized my picture is in my avatar lol. oops
Now that I know what you look like I'll find you and we can lift and drink beers.

But yeah I think I'll be at the March 9th one.

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:40 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
learntolift wrote:i'll be there march 9th i think it is? probably.

Now that I know what you look like I'll find you and we can lift and drink beers.

But yeah I think I'll be at the March 9th one.
dont tease me, let's get it done

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 pm

comeonletsgo wrote:
DID YOU GET IN?!

Idk I'm probably not going to advertise that I'm a TLSer haha. Thinking about going to the March ASW
Guuurl, I DID!! :D

It's probably best if you guys don't know it's me anyway. lol

comeonletsgo

Bronze

Post by comeonletsgo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Just RSVP'ed for the March ASW. Drinks on Friday, anyone?!

GirlStop

Bronze

Post by GirlStop » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

I signed up for March, but will only be able to go if they offer a travel stipend....

Congrats on admits, everyone!

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:55 pm

lets all meet up at a certain bar, certain time. but we don't tell who each other is now or when we get there. and we can have like 1 clue each before we go, it can be like a real life logic game figuring who is who!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”