Cornell Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
ph5354a

Gold

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Post by ph5354a » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:11 pm

guinness1547 wrote:

You could message them with your real name perhaps?
You are wise.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:14 pm

tagging this. Prolly going to ASD on the 19th

Iamnotworthy

New

Post by Iamnotworthy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Do you guys think now is the time to reactivate facebook? I was going to wait until closer to school starting. Is there any useful stuff on their page?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:07 pm

submitted my appeal.

--ImageRemoved--

re: Facebook --I'm not sure, they still haven't let me in :lol:

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Iamnotworthy wrote:Do you guys think now is the time to reactivate facebook? I was going to wait until closer to school starting. Is there any useful stuff on their page?
Nope, nothing that hasn't already been conveyed through e-mail.

Well, besides the Harlem Shake video.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

comeonletsgo

Bronze

Post by comeonletsgo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Iamnotworthy wrote:Do you guys think now is the time to reactivate facebook? I was going to wait until closer to school starting. Is there any useful stuff on their page?

Still can't bring myself to watch that. So much potential second hand embarrassment

Iamnotworthy

New

Post by Iamnotworthy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:33 pm

comeonletsgo wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Still can't bring myself to watch that. So much potential second hand embarrassment
:lol: I hate that feeling!

I think I'll wait a little longer to reactivate then 8)

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Ok, they confirmed they received my seat deposit. I'm safely in before the scholly deadline. 8)

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:51 pm

I want to send my seat deposit in... but I don't want to lose what little leverage I have! :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:26 am

Update: Just received an email - they will reconsider my financial aid package. They just want me to send a copy of my other sholly offers.

Keep those fingers crossed (lord knows, you can't help your legs)!! :mrgreen:

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:31 am

iMisto wrote:Update: Just received an email - they will reconsider my financial aid package. They just want me to send a copy of my other sholly offers.

Congrats/Good luck!!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:50 am

iMisto wrote:Update: Just received an email - they will reconsider my financial aid package. They just want me to send a copy of my other scholly offers.
Cool, good luck! Hopefully someone else turned down their offer already so they can afford to at least toss you something.
iMisto wrote:Keep those fingers crossed (lord knows, you can't help your legs)!! :mrgreen:
:lol:

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:31 am

iMisto wrote:Update: Just received an email - they will reconsider my financial aid package. They just want me to send a copy of my other sholly offers.

question.

how do you neg with other school schollies of their deposit deadline passed ? or do you deposit on a school just to have the ability to neg with it?

i have decent vandy money that i heard is okay with cornell... do i hold onto vandy just to have that card to negotiate with?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:40 am

toothbrush wrote: question.

how do you neg with other school schollies of their deposit deadline passed ? or do you deposit on a school just to have the ability to neg with it?

i have decent vandy money that i heard is okay with cornell... do i hold onto vandy just to have that card to negotiate with?
When is the vandy deadline? I can't remember if you've gotten into Cornell yet --do you mean that you may not get accepted to Cornell before the vandy deadline, or that you may not hear back financial aid before then?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:41 am

toothbrush wrote: question.

You mean if Vandy's deadline passes and you haven't deposited? Wouldn't that mean that they're withdrawing your app from consideration?

If so, then I don't think it would be ethical to send their offer to Cornell, because you'd be suggesting that it's on the table and there's a chance you'd pick Vandy over Cornell because of the $ when in fact, you've basically already withdrawn from Vandy. I mean, maybe you could get away with it, but I would never encourage it.

On the other hand, if you say something like, "I've already withdrawn from Vandy but this is what they thought I was worth, so please reconsider the amount you gave me," then that would be honest, but I feel like it would have no force.

Personally, as long as the Vandy deadline doesn't say to withdraw from other schools, and assuming I'd have the money to burn on a seat deposit in the hopes of getting a lot more money from Cornell, I'd deposit at Vandy to keep it alive.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:46 am

Ph - yes i'm in at cornell already.

Lavitz- I realize its unethical (and pulls no weight) to try to negotiate with scholarships that already passed. However, for people like me who were just accepted and are now pending FA from Cornell... If we want to have the OPTION to negotiate with Cornell using other schools schollarships... we need to keep those options open..

So assuming Cornell doesn't get back to me by mid april (whenever Vandy deadline is) I guess I lose the ability to negotiate.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:52 am

toothbrush wrote:
Lavitz- I realize its unethical (and pulls no weight) to try to negotiate with scholarships that already passed. However, for people like me who were just accepted and are now pending FA from Cornell... If we want to have the OPTION to negotiate with Cornell using other schools schollarships... we need to keep those options open..

So assuming Cornell doesn't get back to me by mid april (whenever Vandy deadline is) I guess I lose the ability to negotiate.
Right, which is why I said that if you want to keep the option open past the deadline, you should deposit at Vandy. Otherwise, yes, you lose the ability to negotiate with Vandy. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

But if the Vandy deadline isn't until mid-April, I suppose what you could do is send in the Vandy offer now and also inform them that you'd appreciate a financial aid offer before Vandy's seat deposit deadline. That might work.

Edit: Of course, with this method, I guess you'd never know for sure whether your offer was a result of the Vandy offer or not. And you don't have anything to follow up with if you're not satisfied and want to negotiate further.
Last edited by Lavitz on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:54 am

toothbrush wrote:Ph - yes i'm in at cornell already.

Is it crazy to send your offer to Cornell preemptively? I think people do that at other schools. I think it would be worth an email to fin aid to say "This is my offer from Vandy, which I am seriously considering. Their deadline is April XX. Do you think it's possible to receive my financial aid package in time for me to make an informed decision?" or something along those lines.

That's my best idea to avoid double-depositing.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:56 am

ph5354a wrote: Is it crazy to send your offer to Cornell preemptively? I think people do that at other schools. I think it would be worth an email to fin aid to say "This is my offer from Vandy, which I am seriously considering. Their deadline is April XX. Do you think it's possible to receive my financial aid package in time for me to make an informed decision?" or something along those lines.

I don't think it's crazy considering I posted the same thing. Or maybe it just means we're both crazy :lol:

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:58 am

Lavitz wrote:
ph5354a wrote: Is it crazy to send your offer to Cornell preemptively? I think people do that at other schools. I think it would be worth an email to fin aid to say "This is my offer from Vandy, which I am seriously considering. Their deadline is April XX. Do you think it's possible to receive my financial aid package in time for me to make an informed decision?" or something along those lines.

I don't think it's crazy considering I posted the same thing. Or maybe it just means we're both crazy :lol:
I was going to say ...Lavitz and I agree, so clearly that's the best possible course of action :D

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Ftr, Vandy's deadline is May 1st, so there's a little more wiggle room.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Is it crazy to send your offer to Cornell preemptively?
Why not just call on Monday and politely inquire when you could expect your financial aid award, including any possible merit, to be processed?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Jaqen wrote:Ftr, Vandy's deadline is May 1st, so there's a little more wiggle room.
That's a lot of wiggle room. Then again, see below.
Big Dog wrote:Why not just call on Monday and politely inquire when you could expect your financial aid award, including any possible merit, to be processed?
This is a good idea. But I've also heard horror stories of applicants doing this and being told "soon," which turned into many weeks of waiting until late April.

See last year, April 4th:
Lawbro wrote:So I called and they refused to tell me a date. I even asked if I could expect it before the the 16th and was told I don't need to worry about the deadline because the deposit is due a week after I get the package. So I guess we will hear when we hear .
Until May 2nd:
Lawbro wrote:2 days ago I received my financial aid package from cornell
:?

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:22 pm

Ouch.

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:27 am

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”