Cornell Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Lavitz

Gold

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Post by Lavitz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:01 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Oh okay, that's where my confusion was. I guess I'll be making a trip to the registrar tomorrow.

Edit: thanks.
No problem.

Also, I don't know how your college is set up, but it may be a different office that handles that. When I got mine signed, the registrar's office didn't know what I was talking about; I had to go to "the office of the dean of students" instead.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:58 am

Faxed my seat deposit and just called the admissions office to confirm receipt!

Now, it's official :mrgreen:

Excitedly waiting for housing/financial/etc. information

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 am

Lavitz wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Was I wrong in my belief that the dean's cert was only if you had a pending infraction or something?
Yes. You were.
Cornell wrote:JD Dean's Certification Form for Deposit Paying Students. You must return this to us by July 15, 2013, to be able to matriculate.
You only needed to submit it with the initial application if you had an undergrad disciplinary infraction; but everyone needs to submit it at some point in order to matriculate.
Can we fax or scan this to them or do we have to send hard copy? If so, which address? Also, it's odd that this doesn't show up on the Cornell to-do list.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:00 pm

toothbrush wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Was I wrong in my belief that the dean's cert was only if you had a pending infraction or something?
Yes. You were.
Cornell wrote:JD Dean's Certification Form for Deposit Paying Students. You must return this to us by July 15, 2013, to be able to matriculate.
You only needed to submit it with the initial application if you had an undergrad disciplinary infraction; but everyone needs to submit it at some point in order to matriculate.
Can we fax or scan this to them or do we have to send hard copy? If so, which address? Also, it's odd that this doesn't show up on the Cornell to-do list.
According to the form, they want the dean to return it to
"Admissions Committee, Cornell Law School, Myron Taylor Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853-4901"

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Yeah, I just gave them the form and a stamped envelope and they took care of the rest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Lavitz wrote:Yeah, I just gave them the form and a stamped envelope and they took care of the rest.
Went to the registrar and they'll be sending that along with my official transcript, which I had also neglected until now. They seemed slightly confused about it, but kinda shrugged and were like "yeah, I suppose we can do this."

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:18 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Yeah, I just gave them the form and a stamped envelope and they took care of the rest.
Went to the registrar and they'll be sending that along with my official transcript, which I had also neglected until now. They seemed slightly confused about it, but kinda shrugged and were like "yeah, I suppose we can do this."
Yup. This is exactly what happened when I just went. Except they sent me on a goose chase which led back to the original office. Oh well. It's in their hands now.

teachmehowtoraji

Bronze

Post by teachmehowtoraji » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Finally made the decision to attend after getting off the reserve a little while ago, faxed the seat deposit in earlier today :mrgreen:

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Checking in! :D time to look for housing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:53 am

teachmehowtoraji wrote:Finally made the decision to attend after getting off the reserve a little while ago, faxed the seat deposit in earlier today :mrgreen:
Woo Raji

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:54 am

Anyone suit shopping recently? Where have you been looking/shopping?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:05 am

guinness1547 wrote:Anyone suit shopping recently? Where have you been looking/shopping?
Wait till Jos A Bank 3 for 1 sale.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:46 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Anyone suit shopping recently? Where have you been looking/shopping?
How soon did you need to wear a suit in 1L?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:51 am

toothbrush wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Interviews for summer jobs over winter break.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 am

ImNoScar wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Interviews for summer jobs over winter break.
Great, thanks! That's what I figured. I'm probably not going to bring a suit with me at first but will get one later on in the semester, then.

As a side note, what sort of 1L summer work do a lot of people from Cornell do? Also, where does it place geographically? I assume there isn't TOO much to do in Ithaca (even pro bono) for most of the class.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:04 am

Some people stay in Ithaca. Professors take RAs, the university office of the general counsel hires a few interns, and the city attorneys office hires a couple interns. Most people find something either in their home market, NYC or DC. People are working for government regulatory agencies, interning for federal and state judges, working in house, and a small number are working at firms (almost all of those are in secondary/tertiary markets or Texas).

LFH_intheflesh

New

Post by LFH_intheflesh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:08 am

toothbrush wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Also people wear suits to Fall Ball/Barristers Ball (LAW SCHOOL PROM LOLZ).
Last edited by LFH_intheflesh on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:55 am

ImNoScar wrote:Some people stay in Ithaca. Professors take RAs, the university office of the general counsel hires a few interns, and the city attorneys office hires a couple interns. Most people find something either in their home market, NYC or DC. People are working for government regulatory agencies, interning for federal and state judges, working in house, and a small number are working at firms (almost all of those are in secondary/tertiary markets or Texas).
Thanks for the reply. Following up on this - does the school help to secure these opportunities? At what point do you pursue this through the school?
LFH_intheflesh wrote: Also people where suits to Fall Ball/Barristers Ball (LAW SCHOOL PROM LOLZ).
This sounds terrible :lol: :lol:

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:03 pm

Ugh.. Time to look for off-campus housing...

Just to be sure, I emailed the Cornell Housing office and got this:
Unfortunately, all housing is full with minimal to no cancellations coming in. We possibly could experience a small number of cancellations due to Visa issues or withdrawals between now and August 15 2013, however, it is difficult to predict in what type of housing those cancellations will occur and how many. All applications will remain active and if cancellations occur, assignments will continue to be made to existing applications in the order they were received

I strongly urge you to seek off campus accommodations

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:19 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:Ugh.. Time to look for off-campus housing...

Unfortunately, all housing is full with minimal to no cancellations coming in. We possibly could experience a small number of cancellations due to Visa issues or withdrawals between now and August 15 2013, however, it is difficult to predict in what type of housing those cancellations will occur and how many. All applications will remain active and if cancellations occur, assignments will continue to be made to existing applications in the order they were received

Are you male? if so, there are like 4 guys looking for housing on the fb group that you could find something with.

Collegetown terrace still has studios open @ 1305 a month. it's pricey but nice. That's what I ended up doing. If you don't mind a roomate you can get a 2br there (huge) for about 1k/ month. You can either go in with a buddy in mind from FB or they place you into a 2br.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:25 pm

toothbrush wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:Ugh.. Time to look for off-campus housing...

Are you male? if so, there are like 4 guys looking for housing on the fb group that you could find something with.

Collegetown terrace still has studios open @ 1305 a month. it's pricey but nice. That's what I ended up doing. If you don't mind a roomate you can get a 2br there (huge) for about 1k/ month. You can either go in with a buddy in mind from FB or they place you into a 2br.
Thanks for the information :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:27 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote: Thanks for the information :D
sure.

pm with questions if you have any questions. i recently went up to look at housing (including Collegetown T and private props) and would be happy to help you out.

gonewiththewind

Bronze

Post by gonewiththewind » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:40 pm

LFH_intheflesh wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Also people where suits to Fall Ball/Barristers Ball (LAW SCHOOL PROM LOLZ).
Btw, just as some friendly advice, maybe go to Fall Ball (not really) but definitely skip Barristers and get drunk somewhere else. If you really wanna go to Barristers, though, make sure you either a) don't wear a coat (not advised since it will likely be still cold), or b) keep your coat with you the entire night. I feel like a repeat of the Great Coat Crisis of 2013 is more than possible if Barristers is in the same place.

Also, Craigslist is a pretty useful tool, as silly as it sounds. So is walking around and looking for signs, at least in Collegetown.

LFH_intheflesh

New

Post by LFH_intheflesh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:42 pm

toothbrush wrote: Thanks for the reply. Following up on this - does the school help to secure these opportunities? At what point do you pursue this through the school?
Define help?

They will have websites full of postings (e.g. symplicity) but its your job to prepare applications.

VVV ithaca's not THAT backwoods
Last edited by LFH_intheflesh on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:42 pm

gonewiththewind wrote: I feel like a repeat of the Great Coat Crisis of 2013 is more than possible if Barristers is in the same place.
I read this as the Great GOAT Crisis. Thought there were 1L's ravaging farms and cuddling with goats for warmth or something

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”