Cornell Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:37 am

MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Chipotle is awesome, but was looking for smtn more ithaca/Cornell specific. Ended up checking out College Town bagels which is prty chilled - solid sandwich.
Chipotle is not walking distance from the law school. Unless you have a car you will not be going often. Same goes for Panera.

It is a ridiculous hour right now and I'm sleep deprived but I'm going to review Collegetown eateries (as in, right there by the law school) I can remember from the top of my head, just because.

- CTB (Collegetown Bagels as you mentioned) - closest place to the law school. Solid selections. Slightly overpriced for bagel sandwiches but what are you gonna do. Opens late (like 2am I think) so a solid choice if you don't want to go to 7-11. Popular.
- Rulloff's is a bar and a restaurant that has solid burgers, fries, etc. Popular.
- 7-11 is obviously not an "eatery" per se but they have wings and cheap but surprisingly okay pizza, and the fact that it's open 24-7 means you'll buy food there eventually if you live in Collegetown/live in Hughes.
- Stella's - really the only "fancy" restaurant in Collegetown. Pricier for that reason. Has a bar both on ground floor and downstairs. You will eat there on people's birthdays, when your student group invited someone from outside Ithaca, for some firm receptions, if you just want a not-crappy meal, etc. There's also a cafe attached to the side that has nice drinks.
- Apollo's - crappy cheap Chinese food, because Collegetown is a college town.

And across the street from these guys are:
- Yogurt Crazy is a froyo place that charges by weight. It's pretty awesome to have one so close to the law school.
- Starbucks is Starbucks is Starbucks.

Then you hit the four-way. Facing away from the law school...

> Straight ahead:
- That Burrito Place is literally what it's called. I never tried them because I hear they're not that good. I think it's like Chipotle.
- Koko's is a Korean restaurant. Good food, portion not that great and pricy for what it's worth, but you're in Ithaca.
- The Nines is a pizza place and has good pizza. I think people met there a lot especially in fall, until Collegetown Pizza opened.
- Insomnia Cookies has warm cookies and milk that will serve you well on a drunk weekend night.

> If you turn left:
- Little Thai House that always seems empty. I had pad thai there once and it wasn't bad at all - and it was cheap - but for some reason no one really goes. Because it's so empty.
- Asian Noodle House - not just noodles, a lot of choices. Curry rice dishes too. One of the better choices imho.
- There's a Viet noodle place right next to it. Their pho is good imo but I think there's generally a lot of disagreement among people when it comes to Asian food.
- There's also a dim-sum place that I was kind of meh about but then again I don't know dim-sum very well.

> If you turn right:
- Jack's - Burger/fries place. Has wings too.
- Cafe Pacific - Boba drinks and trendier(?) Japanese meals, snacks, desserts, etc. Not a fan of their meals but check it out for their desserts and Asian snacks.
- Aladdin's - Mediterranean food. Solid salads and pasta. One of the nicer establishments.
- Collegetown Pizza - cheap pizza and open late, better drunk
- Pita Pit is a chain, no? Pitas and chips and drinks for cheap.
- Plum Tree - Slightly cheaper of the two sushi places in Collegetown. Popular. Undergrads like to meet in large groups and have sake bombs.
- Subway is Subway is Subway.
- Mexeo has burritos and burrito bowls like Chipotle does but a bit pricier. People like it, especially the Californians.
- Dasan J is Korean and Korean-style Chinese food. I might have ordered the wrong thing but I didn't like whatever it is that I had the first time and never went back.

If you keep going and turn left from there (sorry I don't care enough to look up street names):
- Miyake is another sushi place. A little bit more expensive than Plum Tree but also slightly better?
- Four Seasons is another Korean restaurant. You can have Korean BBQ there but I hear it's super expensive and just not worth it. They do however have other regular meals and I think they give you more food than Koko's does/slightly cheaper.
- There is some sort of tea house across from these that have much better boba than Cafe Pacific.
- There are two Indian restaurants almost right next to each other. Unfortunately the names escape me. One of them does really cheap lunch buffet that I thought was pretty good.
- Souvlaki House. Greek. It seems a bit pricy at first but they give you so much food. I didn't like their pasta but enjoyed their salad and bread and some other food I had, can't remember right now. I don't think it's that popular among law students though; I didn't even know about it all of fall semester.

I can't remember any more - none that I've been to, anyway.

lol @ Lacepiece contributing class info and me contributing food info.
Wow! Thanks for this. I'm printing it right now :mrgreen:

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:12 am

Good list. You left off CCs, which has awesome smoothies and salads (their sandwiches suck).

Also, tucked away, is Cafeo, which serves the closest thing you'll get to Bahng Mi in Ithaca.

cornellhouse

New

Post by cornellhouse » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:56 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:Yeah...Atlas's section has it rough during the year (seen running around with rulers to measure margins) but gets you into shape for that note test I guess.
:shock: seriously?
Yes. He's kind of intense, but I do think it helped w/ the writing competition. He's also just about the nicest guy on the planet.

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:08 am

Anyone have experience waving the student insurance plan?

Is it easier to go about doing that once you are on campus?

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 am

cornellhouse wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:Yeah...Atlas's section has it rough during the year (seen running around with rulers to measure margins) but gets you into shape for that note test I guess.
:shock: seriously?
Yes. He's kind of intense, but I do think it helped w/ the writing competition. He's also just about the nicest guy on the planet.
Thanks. Good to know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:05 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
MischiefMayhemSoap wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Chipotle is awesome, but was looking for smtn more ithaca/Cornell specific. Ended up checking out College Town bagels which is prty chilled - solid sandwich.
Chipotle is not walking distance from the law school. Unless you have a car you will not be going often. Same goes for Panera.

It is a ridiculous hour right now and I'm sleep deprived but I'm going to review Collegetown eateries (as in, right there by the law school) I can remember from the top of my head, just because.

- CTB (Collegetown Bagels as you mentioned) - closest place to the law school. Solid selections. Slightly overpriced for bagel sandwiches but what are you gonna do. Opens late (like 2am I think) so a solid choice if you don't want to go to 7-11. Popular.
- Rulloff's is a bar and a restaurant that has solid burgers, fries, etc. Popular.
- 7-11 is obviously not an "eatery" per se but they have wings and cheap but surprisingly okay pizza, and the fact that it's open 24-7 means you'll buy food there eventually if you live in Collegetown/live in Hughes.
- Stella's - really the only "fancy" restaurant in Collegetown. Pricier for that reason. Has a bar both on ground floor and downstairs. You will eat there on people's birthdays, when your student group invited someone from outside Ithaca, for some firm receptions, if you just want a not-crappy meal, etc. There's also a cafe attached to the side that has nice drinks.
- Apollo's - crappy cheap Chinese food, because Collegetown is a college town.

And across the street from these guys are:
- Yogurt Crazy is a froyo place that charges by weight. It's pretty awesome to have one so close to the law school.
- Starbucks is Starbucks is Starbucks.

Then you hit the four-way. Facing away from the law school...

> Straight ahead:
- That Burrito Place is literally what it's called. I never tried them because I hear they're not that good. I think it's like Chipotle.
- Koko's is a Korean restaurant. Good food, portion not that great and pricy for what it's worth, but you're in Ithaca.
- The Nines is a pizza place and has good pizza. I think people met there a lot especially in fall, until Collegetown Pizza opened.
- Insomnia Cookies has warm cookies and milk that will serve you well on a drunk weekend night.

> If you turn left:
- Little Thai House that always seems empty. I had pad thai there once and it wasn't bad at all - and it was cheap - but for some reason no one really goes. Because it's so empty.
- Asian Noodle House - not just noodles, a lot of choices. Curry rice dishes too. One of the better choices imho.
- There's a Viet noodle place right next to it. Their pho is good imo but I think there's generally a lot of disagreement among people when it comes to Asian food.
- There's also a dim-sum place that I was kind of meh about but then again I don't know dim-sum very well.

> If you turn right:
- Jack's - Burger/fries place. Has wings too.
- Cafe Pacific - Boba drinks and trendier(?) Japanese meals, snacks, desserts, etc. Not a fan of their meals but check it out for their desserts and Asian snacks.
- Aladdin's - Mediterranean food. Solid salads and pasta. One of the nicer establishments.
- Collegetown Pizza - cheap pizza and open late, better drunk
- Pita Pit is a chain, no? Pitas and chips and drinks for cheap.
- Plum Tree - Slightly cheaper of the two sushi places in Collegetown. Popular. Undergrads like to meet in large groups and have sake bombs.
- Subway is Subway is Subway.
- Mexeo has burritos and burrito bowls like Chipotle does but a bit pricier. People like it, especially the Californians.
- Dasan J is Korean and Korean-style Chinese food. I might have ordered the wrong thing but I didn't like whatever it is that I had the first time and never went back.

If you keep going and turn left from there (sorry I don't care enough to look up street names):
- Miyake is another sushi place. A little bit more expensive than Plum Tree but also slightly better?
- Four Seasons is another Korean restaurant. You can have Korean BBQ there but I hear it's super expensive and just not worth it. They do however have other regular meals and I think they give you more food than Koko's does/slightly cheaper.
- There is some sort of tea house across from these that have much better boba than Cafe Pacific.
- There are two Indian restaurants almost right next to each other. Unfortunately the names escape me. One of them does really cheap lunch buffet that I thought was pretty good.
- Souvlaki House. Greek. It seems a bit pricy at first but they give you so much food. I didn't like their pasta but enjoyed their salad and bread and some other food I had, can't remember right now. I don't think it's that popular among law students though; I didn't even know about it all of fall semester.

I can't remember any more - none that I've been to, anyway.

lol @ Lacepiece contributing class info and me contributing food info.
Wow! Thanks for this. I'm printing it right now :mrgreen:
This is awesome, thanks! Also thought I'd note that admissions gave me a 10$ gift card to CBT when I visited so that was cool.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:10 am

Rlabo wrote:Also thought I'd note that admissions gave me a 10$ gift card to CBT when I visited so that was cool.
Nice touch :mrgreen:

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks Mischief. Lavitz, you should tag that post in the OP. I will be looking at that again when I get to Ithaca. Since I have a car I feel like I will be at Chipotle / Panera a few times a week but it's really good to know there are so many options.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:38 am

toothbrush wrote:Thanks Mischief. Lavitz, you should tag that post in the OP. I will be looking at that again when I get to Ithaca. Since I have a car I feel like I will be at Chipotle / Panera a few times a week but it's really good to know there are so many options.
Yes, totally. Good idea :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MischiefMayhemSoap

Bronze

Post by MischiefMayhemSoap » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:50 pm

You're welcome folks. Glad to see my insomnia has been helpful.
Arbiter213 wrote:Good list. You left off CCs, which has awesome smoothies and salads (their sandwiches suck).
I was thinking about it but my sleep-deprived self somehow left it off. I agree. It also looks pretty empty from the outside so people don't go as often.

LFH_intheflesh

New

Post by LFH_intheflesh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:04 pm

mexeo uber alles. die sie welkommen

MischiefMayhemSoap

Bronze

Post by MischiefMayhemSoap » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:56 pm

toothbrush wrote:Thanks Mischief. Lavitz, you should tag that post in the OP. I will be looking at that again when I get to Ithaca. Since I have a car I feel like I will be at Chipotle / Panera a few times a week but it's really good to know there are so many options.
If you have a car you can also go to Five Guys. 8)

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:29 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
Yes, totally. Good idea :D
I added it near the bottom.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:Some people in my class designed MTHS tshirts that we were supposed to be able to buy. I wonder what happened with that.
Don't get me started. I encourage the 1Ls to do it though:

http://www.customink.com/designs/mthsit ... ven=social
Hmm, I like the front design but I think the back is creepy.

ETA: No offense to the designer of course. It's just not my taste.

That's some pedobear type stuff right there.
Rude.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:56 pm

mths wrote: Rude.
Just my first impression.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:MTHS, the designer, hasn't posted in this thread to my knowledge.
Welcome to the thread, mths.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:MTHS, the designer, hasn't posted in this thread to my knowledge.
haha at least he gave me credit

and yes, I got too lazy to follow through on actually getting those made but in my defense, Arbiter wasn't even here when we were going to make them

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:35 am

mths wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
haha at least he gave me credit

and yes, I got too lazy to follow through on actually getting those made but in my defense, Arbiter wasn't even here when we were going to make them
I shudder to think what your life must have been like before your had my adulation filling it with light.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:21 pm

LFH_intheflesh wrote:mexeo uber alles. die sie welkommen
The mexeo fans are cult-like.

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:24 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
LFH_intheflesh wrote:mexeo uber alles. die sie welkommen
The mexeo fans are cult-like.
I don't really understand people who don't think mexeo/cafeo are the two best places to eat in collegetown. So I guess I'm in dat cult.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:39 pm

hey, i got a book in the mail.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

highopes337

New

Post by highopes337 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:44 pm

What kinda book?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:54 pm

toothbrush wrote:hey, i got a book in the mail.
Thanks, this made me check my mail.
highopes337 wrote:What kinda book?
They sent us Clermont's new book: The Indomitable George Washington Fields.

highopes337

New

Post by highopes337 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Oh, Cool.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Lavitz wrote:
toothbrush wrote:hey, i got a book in the mail.
Thanks, this made me check my mail.
highopes337 wrote:What kinda book?
They sent us Clermont's new book: The Indomitable George Washington Fields.
Yep. Looks dense. Anyone wanna tl;dr it ? =P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”