Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
derfs

New

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Post by derfs » Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Hey guys, just checking in here.

Was accepted to Temple in February and I am 90% sure that I'm going. Still riding out a couple of waitlists but I would be more than happy to attend Temple this fall.

Just a couple of questions.

Have you guys started to look for apartments yet? I've been looking at some websites and still haven't decided where I want to live.
Was everyone able to accept their award on TU Portal? It's still saying that I have to fill out the Financial Aid application on Temple's website but I filled it out weeks ago.

Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 am

derfs wrote:Hey guys, just checking in here.

Was accepted to Temple in February and I am 90% sure that I'm going. Still riding out a couple of waitlists but I would be more than happy to attend Temple this fall.

Have you guys started to look for apartments yet? I've been looking at some websites and still haven't decided where I want to live.
Was everyone able to accept their award on TU Portal? It's still saying that I have to fill out the Financial Aid application on Temple's website but I filled it out weeks ago.

I haven't heard anything about accepting our award yet. I haven't personally received an official award package aside from my scholarship and preliminary award letter. Did they get in touch with you about all that, because I wasn't aware we were supposed to be doing anything with TUPortal. The woman I spoke to in admissions said that there wasn't anything up for us yet.

As for living, my apartment will be in Center City (Rittenhouse) since it's close to the Broad Street Line. I think a lot of people tend to be in Center City, Northern Liberties, and Fairmount.

TUICE

New

Post by TUICE » Wed May 08, 2013 11:21 am

magp90 wrote:

I haven't heard anything about accepting our award yet. I haven't personally received an official award package aside from my scholarship and preliminary award letter. Did they get in touch with you about all that, because I wasn't aware we were supposed to be doing anything with TUPortal. The woman I spoke to in admissions said that there wasn't anything up for us yet.

As for living, my apartment will be in Center City (Rittenhouse) since it's close to the Broad Street Line. I think a lot of people tend to be in Center City, Northern Liberties, and Fairmount.
Continuting on the above, I wouldnt necessarily recommend anything right on campus, it's worth the extra rent to live in center city, old city, spring garden/fair mount, or northern liberties just because the area directly around the school is sketchy at best.

derfs

New

Post by derfs » Wed May 08, 2013 12:06 pm

TUICE wrote:
magp90 wrote:

Continuting on the above, I wouldnt necessarily recommend anything right on campus, it's worth the extra rent to live in center city, old city, spring garden/fair mount, or northern liberties just because the area directly around the school is sketchy at best.
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at some apartment complexes in Center City but I won't be able to make my final decision until I stop by Philadelphia this summer. I want to live in or around Rittenhouse Square as I've been there a few months ago and just loved the neighborhood. How much are you paying for your apartment there? If you want, you can PM me that information.

I was looking at some complexes but their 1BR apartments are all $1500 or more. Is this too much to pay for an apartment in Centet City?

I talked to the financial aid office at Temple and they told me that all I had to do was fill out the Financial Aid form on their website and they'll process it. There's really nothing you have to do on TUPortal as of yet, but I'm just getting a little ahead of myself right now.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:37 pm

derfs wrote:
TUICE wrote:
magp90 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at some apartment complexes in Center City but I won't be able to make my final decision until I stop by Philadelphia this summer. I want to live in or around Rittenhouse Square as I've been there a few months ago and just loved the neighborhood. How much are you paying for your apartment there? If you want, you can PM me that information.

I was looking at some complexes but their 1BR apartments are all $1500 or more. Is this too much to pay for an apartment in Centet City?

I talked to the financial aid office at Temple and they told me that all I had to do was fill out the Financial Aid form on their website and they'll process it. There's really nothing you have to do on TUPortal as of yet, but I'm just getting a little ahead of myself right now.
PMed you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TUICE

New

Post by TUICE » Wed May 08, 2013 1:47 pm

derfs wrote:
TUICE wrote:
magp90 wrote:

You'll find that there isn't much you cant do on TUportal when you are a student as well. And I can't speak for CC but on fairmount 2BRs go for $800-900 so I wouldn't be shocked if the going rate for a 1BR was close to $1500, especially near rittenhouse. Also if you guys want to know anything about the school itself, not pertaining to the law school, feel free to PM me

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:52 pm

TUICE wrote:
You'll find that there isn't much you cant do on TUportal when you are a student as well. And I can't speak for CC but on fairmount 2BRs go for $800-900 so I wouldn't be shocked if the going rate for a 1BR was close to $1500, especially near rittenhouse. Also if you guys want to know anything about the school itself, not pertaining to the law school, feel free to PM me
I was doing a lot of searching initially in Fairmount and two bedrooms in good areas were usually in the $1,200-$1,500 range. There are definitely cheaper ones, but I would try to visit the apartment first because Fairmount is one of those areas that can go from nice to freaky really quickly.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:24 am

Just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley Scholarship... $10k a year to $17.5k a year!

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 am

magp90 wrote:Just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley Scholarship... $10k a year to $17.5k a year!
Even after paying your deposit? Interesting...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scaredredpanda

New

Post by scaredredpanda » Thu May 09, 2013 10:58 am

magp90 wrote:Just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley Scholarship... $10k a year to $17.5k a year!
Congratulations - that's HUGE! I will be going part-time, and they increased mine from $45k total to $52.5k total. I'm so excited!

scaredredpanda

New

Post by scaredredpanda » Thu May 09, 2013 11:01 am

Lumieres wrote:
I just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley scholarship as well, with the same stipulation of remaining in the top 2/3 of the class. They sent me an email this morning saying that they had additional scholarship funds available now that the first deposit deadline has passed and they have assembled the incoming class for next year.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:03 am

Lumieres wrote:
Honestly, I think they're realizing that they have a smaller class than they probably anticipated and they're trying to keep the students who have committed. But hey, I'm not complaining!

scaredredpanda wrote:
Congratulations - that's HUGE! I will be going part-time, and they increased mine from $45k total to $52.5k total. I'm so excited!
Congratulations to you too!! Every little bit helps, yeah? :)

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 am

Nice. Congrats! Are you guys worried about the top 2/3 stip?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TUICE

New

Post by TUICE » Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 am

looks i got the same email this morning, went from 15K/yr to 17.5K/yr

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 am

Lumieres wrote:Nice. Congrats! Are you guys worried about the top 2/3 stip?
Eh, not really. I'm in this to get a job, so if I wind up in the bottom third, chances are I'd need to reconsider my career path anyways. Of course, I'm really aiming to not have to deal with that hahaha

derfs

New

Post by derfs » Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Congratulations guys on the increase scholarship! I just checked my email And didn't get anything. :cry: Then again, I was awarded with the Conwell Scholarship. Anyone with the Conwell Scholarship get an unsolicited increase?

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Does anyone know/care to speculate the size of the incoming class?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Thu May 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Keasbey wrote:Does anyone know/care to speculate the size of the incoming class?
For 2013, I'm going with 185 Day, 45 Evening. Total of 230.

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Thu May 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Lumieres wrote:
Keasbey wrote:Does anyone know/care to speculate the size of the incoming class?
That's the number they gave at ASD, so if they're upping scholarships I wouldn't be surprised if the total is ~200.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Lumieres wrote:
Sounds reasonable

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:09 pm

Does anyone know if there is a deadline for accepting our loan/scholarship awards?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Anybody else going with Magp? Bring it ITT:

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Did anyone else receive the notification about the Summer Fellowship award?

derfs

New

Post by derfs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 pm

magp90 wrote:Did anyone else receive the notification about the Summer Fellowship award?
Got it too.

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:38 am

derfs wrote:
magp90 wrote:Did anyone else receive the notification about the Summer Fellowship award?
Got it too.
Is it from the Peggy Browning Fund?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”