Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
derfs
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby derfs » Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Hey guys, just checking in here.

Was accepted to Temple in February and I am 90% sure that I'm going. Still riding out a couple of waitlists but I would be more than happy to attend Temple this fall.

Just a couple of questions.

Have you guys started to look for apartments yet? I've been looking at some websites and still haven't decided where I want to live.
Was everyone able to accept their award on TU Portal? It's still saying that I have to fill out the Financial Aid application on Temple's website but I filled it out weeks ago.

Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby magp90 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 am

derfs wrote:Hey guys, just checking in here.

Was accepted to Temple in February and I am 90% sure that I'm going. Still riding out a couple of waitlists but I would be more than happy to attend Temple this fall.

Just a couple of questions.

Have you guys started to look for apartments yet? I've been looking at some websites and still haven't decided where I want to live.
Was everyone able to accept their award on TU Portal? It's still saying that I have to fill out the Financial Aid application on Temple's website but I filled it out weeks ago.

Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!


I haven't heard anything about accepting our award yet. I haven't personally received an official award package aside from my scholarship and preliminary award letter. Did they get in touch with you about all that, because I wasn't aware we were supposed to be doing anything with TUPortal. The woman I spoke to in admissions said that there wasn't anything up for us yet.

As for living, my apartment will be in Center City (Rittenhouse) since it's close to the Broad Street Line. I think a lot of people tend to be in Center City, Northern Liberties, and Fairmount.

TUICE
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby TUICE » Wed May 08, 2013 11:21 am

magp90 wrote:
derfs wrote:Hey guys, just checking in here.

Was accepted to Temple in February and I am 90% sure that I'm going. Still riding out a couple of waitlists but I would be more than happy to attend Temple this fall.

Just a couple of questions.

Have you guys started to look for apartments yet? I've been looking at some websites and still haven't decided where I want to live.
Was everyone able to accept their award on TU Portal? It's still saying that I have to fill out the Financial Aid application on Temple's website but I filled it out weeks ago.

Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!


I haven't heard anything about accepting our award yet. I haven't personally received an official award package aside from my scholarship and preliminary award letter. Did they get in touch with you about all that, because I wasn't aware we were supposed to be doing anything with TUPortal. The woman I spoke to in admissions said that there wasn't anything up for us yet.

As for living, my apartment will be in Center City (Rittenhouse) since it's close to the Broad Street Line. I think a lot of people tend to be in Center City, Northern Liberties, and Fairmount.


Continuting on the above, I wouldnt necessarily recommend anything right on campus, it's worth the extra rent to live in center city, old city, spring garden/fair mount, or northern liberties just because the area directly around the school is sketchy at best.

derfs
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby derfs » Wed May 08, 2013 12:06 pm

TUICE wrote:
magp90 wrote:
derfs wrote:Hey guys, just checking in here.

Was accepted to Temple in February and I am 90% sure that I'm going. Still riding out a couple of waitlists but I would be more than happy to attend Temple this fall.

Just a couple of questions.

Have you guys started to look for apartments yet? I've been looking at some websites and still haven't decided where I want to live.
Was everyone able to accept their award on TU Portal? It's still saying that I have to fill out the Financial Aid application on Temple's website but I filled it out weeks ago.

Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!


I haven't heard anything about accepting our award yet. I haven't personally received an official award package aside from my scholarship and preliminary award letter. Did they get in touch with you about all that, because I wasn't aware we were supposed to be doing anything with TUPortal. The woman I spoke to in admissions said that there wasn't anything up for us yet.

As for living, my apartment will be in Center City (Rittenhouse) since it's close to the Broad Street Line. I think a lot of people tend to be in Center City, Northern Liberties, and Fairmount.


Continuting on the above, I wouldnt necessarily recommend anything right on campus, it's worth the extra rent to live in center city, old city, spring garden/fair mount, or northern liberties just because the area directly around the school is sketchy at best.


Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at some apartment complexes in Center City but I won't be able to make my final decision until I stop by Philadelphia this summer. I want to live in or around Rittenhouse Square as I've been there a few months ago and just loved the neighborhood. How much are you paying for your apartment there? If you want, you can PM me that information.

I was looking at some complexes but their 1BR apartments are all $1500 or more. Is this too much to pay for an apartment in Centet City?

I talked to the financial aid office at Temple and they told me that all I had to do was fill out the Financial Aid form on their website and they'll process it. There's really nothing you have to do on TUPortal as of yet, but I'm just getting a little ahead of myself right now.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby magp90 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:37 pm

derfs wrote:
TUICE wrote:
magp90 wrote:
derfs wrote:Hey guys, just checking in here.

Was accepted to Temple in February and I am 90% sure that I'm going. Still riding out a couple of waitlists but I would be more than happy to attend Temple this fall.

Just a couple of questions.

Have you guys started to look for apartments yet? I've been looking at some websites and still haven't decided where I want to live.
Was everyone able to accept their award on TU Portal? It's still saying that I have to fill out the Financial Aid application on Temple's website but I filled it out weeks ago.

Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!


I haven't heard anything about accepting our award yet. I haven't personally received an official award package aside from my scholarship and preliminary award letter. Did they get in touch with you about all that, because I wasn't aware we were supposed to be doing anything with TUPortal. The woman I spoke to in admissions said that there wasn't anything up for us yet.

As for living, my apartment will be in Center City (Rittenhouse) since it's close to the Broad Street Line. I think a lot of people tend to be in Center City, Northern Liberties, and Fairmount.


Continuting on the above, I wouldnt necessarily recommend anything right on campus, it's worth the extra rent to live in center city, old city, spring garden/fair mount, or northern liberties just because the area directly around the school is sketchy at best.


Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at some apartment complexes in Center City but I won't be able to make my final decision until I stop by Philadelphia this summer. I want to live in or around Rittenhouse Square as I've been there a few months ago and just loved the neighborhood. How much are you paying for your apartment there? If you want, you can PM me that information.

I was looking at some complexes but their 1BR apartments are all $1500 or more. Is this too much to pay for an apartment in Centet City?

I talked to the financial aid office at Temple and they told me that all I had to do was fill out the Financial Aid form on their website and they'll process it. There's really nothing you have to do on TUPortal as of yet, but I'm just getting a little ahead of myself right now.


PMed you

TUICE
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby TUICE » Wed May 08, 2013 1:47 pm

derfs wrote:
TUICE wrote:
magp90 wrote:
derfs wrote:Hey guys, just checking in here.

Was accepted to Temple in February and I am 90% sure that I'm going. Still riding out a couple of waitlists but I would be more than happy to attend Temple this fall.

Just a couple of questions.

Have you guys started to look for apartments yet? I've been looking at some websites and still haven't decided where I want to live.
Was everyone able to accept their award on TU Portal? It's still saying that I have to fill out the Financial Aid application on Temple's website but I filled it out weeks ago.

Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!


I haven't heard anything about accepting our award yet. I haven't personally received an official award package aside from my scholarship and preliminary award letter. Did they get in touch with you about all that, because I wasn't aware we were supposed to be doing anything with TUPortal. The woman I spoke to in admissions said that there wasn't anything up for us yet.

As for living, my apartment will be in Center City (Rittenhouse) since it's close to the Broad Street Line. I think a lot of people tend to be in Center City, Northern Liberties, and Fairmount.


Continuting on the above, I wouldnt necessarily recommend anything right on campus, it's worth the extra rent to live in center city, old city, spring garden/fair mount, or northern liberties just because the area directly around the school is sketchy at best.


Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at some apartment complexes in Center City but I won't be able to make my final decision until I stop by Philadelphia this summer. I want to live in or around Rittenhouse Square as I've been there a few months ago and just loved the neighborhood. How much are you paying for your apartment there? If you want, you can PM me that information.

I was looking at some complexes but their 1BR apartments are all $1500 or more. Is this too much to pay for an apartment in Centet City?

I talked to the financial aid office at Temple and they told me that all I had to do was fill out the Financial Aid form on their website and they'll process it. There's really nothing you have to do on TUPortal as of yet, but I'm just getting a little ahead of myself right now.



You'll find that there isn't much you cant do on TUportal when you are a student as well. And I can't speak for CC but on fairmount 2BRs go for $800-900 so I wouldn't be shocked if the going rate for a 1BR was close to $1500, especially near rittenhouse. Also if you guys want to know anything about the school itself, not pertaining to the law school, feel free to PM me

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby magp90 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:52 pm

TUICE wrote:
You'll find that there isn't much you cant do on TUportal when you are a student as well. And I can't speak for CC but on fairmount 2BRs go for $800-900 so I wouldn't be shocked if the going rate for a 1BR was close to $1500, especially near rittenhouse. Also if you guys want to know anything about the school itself, not pertaining to the law school, feel free to PM me


I was doing a lot of searching initially in Fairmount and two bedrooms in good areas were usually in the $1,200-$1,500 range. There are definitely cheaper ones, but I would try to visit the apartment first because Fairmount is one of those areas that can go from nice to freaky really quickly.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby magp90 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:24 am

Just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley Scholarship... $10k a year to $17.5k a year!

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby Lumieres » Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 am

magp90 wrote:Just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley Scholarship... $10k a year to $17.5k a year!


Even after paying your deposit? Interesting...

User avatar
scaredredpanda
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby scaredredpanda » Thu May 09, 2013 10:58 am

magp90 wrote:Just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley Scholarship... $10k a year to $17.5k a year!


Congratulations - that's HUGE! I will be going part-time, and they increased mine from $45k total to $52.5k total. I'm so excited!

User avatar
scaredredpanda
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby scaredredpanda » Thu May 09, 2013 11:01 am

Lumieres wrote:
magp90 wrote:Just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley Scholarship... $10k a year to $17.5k a year!


Even after paying your deposit? Interesting...


I just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley scholarship as well, with the same stipulation of remaining in the top 2/3 of the class. They sent me an email this morning saying that they had additional scholarship funds available now that the first deposit deadline has passed and they have assembled the incoming class for next year.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby magp90 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:03 am

Lumieres wrote:
magp90 wrote:Just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley Scholarship... $10k a year to $17.5k a year!


Even after paying your deposit? Interesting...


Honestly, I think they're realizing that they have a smaller class than they probably anticipated and they're trying to keep the students who have committed. But hey, I'm not complaining!


scaredredpanda wrote:
magp90 wrote:Just got an unsolicited increase in my Beasley Scholarship... $10k a year to $17.5k a year!


Congratulations - that's HUGE! I will be going part-time, and they increased mine from $45k total to $52.5k total. I'm so excited!


Congratulations to you too!! Every little bit helps, yeah? :)

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby Lumieres » Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 am

Nice. Congrats! Are you guys worried about the top 2/3 stip?

TUICE
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby TUICE » Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 am

looks i got the same email this morning, went from 15K/yr to 17.5K/yr

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby magp90 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 am

Lumieres wrote:Nice. Congrats! Are you guys worried about the top 2/3 stip?


Eh, not really. I'm in this to get a job, so if I wind up in the bottom third, chances are I'd need to reconsider my career path anyways. Of course, I'm really aiming to not have to deal with that hahaha

derfs
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby derfs » Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Congratulations guys on the increase scholarship! I just checked my email And didn't get anything. :cry: Then again, I was awarded with the Conwell Scholarship. Anyone with the Conwell Scholarship get an unsolicited increase?

Keasbey
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby Keasbey » Thu May 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Does anyone know/care to speculate the size of the incoming class?

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby Lumieres » Thu May 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Keasbey wrote:Does anyone know/care to speculate the size of the incoming class?


For 2013, I'm going with 185 Day, 45 Evening. Total of 230.

Keasbey
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby Keasbey » Thu May 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Lumieres wrote:
Keasbey wrote:Does anyone know/care to speculate the size of the incoming class?


For 2013, I'm going with 185 Day, 45 Evening. Total of 230.


That's the number they gave at ASD, so if they're upping scholarships I wouldn't be surprised if the total is ~200.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby magp90 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Lumieres wrote:
Keasbey wrote:Does anyone know/care to speculate the size of the incoming class?


For 2013, I'm going with 185 Day, 45 Evening. Total of 230.


Sounds reasonable

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby magp90 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:09 pm

Does anyone know if there is a deadline for accepting our loan/scholarship awards?

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby North » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Anybody else going with Magp? Bring it ITT:

Image

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby magp90 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Did anyone else receive the notification about the Summer Fellowship award?

derfs
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby derfs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 pm

magp90 wrote:Did anyone else receive the notification about the Summer Fellowship award?

Got it too.

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Temple U - Beasley School of Law c/o 2016/2017

Postby Lumieres » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:38 am

derfs wrote:
magp90 wrote:Did anyone else receive the notification about the Summer Fellowship award?

Got it too.


Is it from the Peggy Browning Fund?




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest