Chicago Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
naw
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby naw » Sat May 18, 2013 1:46 pm

kappycaft1 wrote: so one of the professors suggested that they put a "1" in front of the grades to "avoid confusion."

That was Levmore

mambar
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby mambar » Sun May 19, 2013 5:16 am

2014 wrote:
mambar wrote:
switchis32 wrote:Ya, I guess I am worried because of all the rumors spread around the system

What rumors? Not trying to sound confrontational -- I just haven't heard of any

There are two generally:

1. Graded schools as a whole are more challenging than Pass/Fail schools

This may or may not be true, The four pass fail schools (HYSBerkeley) all have some sort of high pass or honors or something and a low pass, so there is still competition. There's the issue of 3 of those schools are HYS and Berkeley self selects for Californians who might tend to be less competitive than east coasters for example, so not clear whether you can actually make inferences.


2a. UChi is more competitive than other graded schools because whereas other schools have a 8 point grade range used regularly (A/A-/B+/B/B-/C+/C/C-) UChi has a much larger one (170-186), thus it is more competitive as people try and differentiate themselves.

This is largely false since basically everyone is dumped in the 174-181 range and outside of that are outliers just like booking a class or getting a D is an outlier elsewhere.

2b. UChi uses the full spectrum of its grades

Completely false from what I can tell and even if someone does manage to get a 16x grade, that same person would fail wherever else they were based on lack of effort.


I obviously only have one school to judge, but I think any concerns about the grading system other than it is confusing at first are misplaced.

Thank you for this! Makes a lot of sense

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 20141023 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:08 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Xifeng » Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 pm

This is the super short version, but basically, there is no such thing as a perfect law school exam, so it can't be a grading scale out of 100 because NO ONE CAN EVER GET 100%. So the scale of 55-86 was like, the best you could get since there is just SO MUCH TO SAY. And then the 1 was because people were confused.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun May 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Xifeng wrote:This is the super short version, but basically, there is no such thing as a perfect law school exam, so it can't be a grading scale out of 100 because NO ONE CAN EVER GET 100%. So the scale of 55-86 was like, the best you could get since there is just SO MUCH TO SAY. And then the 1 was because people were confused.


UNTIL NOW. #gunning

AspiringAcademic
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:36 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby AspiringAcademic » Sun May 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Xifeng wrote:This is the super short version, but basically, there is no such thing as a perfect law school exam, so it can't be a grading scale out of 100 because NO ONE CAN EVER GET 100%. So the scale of 55-86 was like, the best you could get since there is just SO MUCH TO SAY. And then the 1 was because people were confused.

That sounds like the super short version of something Professor Stone would say.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 20141023 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:50 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 2014 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:56 pm

It's just a mind game to reflect a principle. Just like some schools refuse to call their undergrads Freshman, Sophomore, etc because it implies that you are progressing toward the finality of Senior when a Senior is but someone in their 4th year of a lifetime of learning. (Not making that up, schools have done that)

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon May 20, 2013 2:13 pm

2014 wrote:It's just a mind game to reflect a principle. Just like some schools refuse to call their undergrads Freshman, Sophomore, etc because it implies that you are progressing toward the finality of Senior when a Senior is but someone in their 4th year of a lifetime of learning. (Not making that up, schools have done that)


UChicago is one of those schools, by the way. "First-year", "second-year", etc. for undergrads.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 2014 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:21 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
2014 wrote:It's just a mind game to reflect a principle. Just like some schools refuse to call their undergrads Freshman, Sophomore, etc because it implies that you are progressing toward the finality of Senior when a Senior is but someone in their 4th year of a lifetime of learning. (Not making that up, schools have done that)


UChicago is one of those schools, by the way. "First-year", "second-year", etc. for undergrads.

Should have known lol

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Dany » Mon May 20, 2013 2:27 pm

2014 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
2014 wrote:It's just a mind game to reflect a principle. Just like some schools refuse to call their undergrads Freshman, Sophomore, etc because it implies that you are progressing toward the finality of Senior when a Senior is but someone in their 4th year of a lifetime of learning. (Not making that up, schools have done that)


UChicago is one of those schools, by the way. "First-year", "second-year", etc. for undergrads.

Should have known lol

:lol:

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon May 20, 2013 2:49 pm

2014 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
2014 wrote:It's just a mind game to reflect a principle. Just like some schools refuse to call their undergrads Freshman, Sophomore, etc because it implies that you are progressing toward the finality of Senior when a Senior is but someone in their 4th year of a lifetime of learning. (Not making that up, schools have done that)


UChicago is one of those schools, by the way. "First-year", "second-year", etc. for undergrads.

Should have known lol


Yea, my biggest problem is not so much that it's pretentious (I mean, it is, but that's essentially our institutional identity at this point) as that it makes you sound like a complete idiot whenever you talk to someone from another school. They just stare at you like, "you know, there's a word for that..."

You learn to code-switch eventually, though.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 20141023 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Hahaha thanks Xifeng. I still don't get their logic because there are also a lot of classes in undergrad where nobody gets an A by default, so everything is curved up using the highest score as a 100% (or whatever the teacher deems worthy) so that everyone's grades still work on a standard 0~100% scale. I guess I can't complain because almost every standardized test out there also uses some random shitty scale (like 120-180 for the LSAT) that could just as easily be done on a 0~100% scale. These are the small things, like using inches / feet / yards / miles instead of metric units, that drive me crazy. :x

(I'm of the accord that we should even use nice round numbers for time too. :D )


Uh who cares?


Also if your answer is any longer than five words my point stands.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 20141023 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:06 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Xifeng » Mon May 20, 2013 8:58 pm

I can't wait to see what your class uses lawannounce for. You have big shoes to fill.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 20141023 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:30 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
robot_socrates
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby robot_socrates » Wed May 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Has anyone sent in their final transcript yet? I'm not sure if we're just supposed to know to do this, or if we should wait until June when they correspond with us.

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu May 23, 2013 7:41 am

robot_socrates wrote:Has anyone sent in their final transcript yet? I'm not sure if we're just supposed to know to do this, or if we should wait until June when they correspond with us.


I think this was asked a page or two back...the consensus was to wait until they release the June letter

User avatar
Dr. Doctor
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Dr. Doctor » Thu May 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Hello, All! I finally figured I should stop creepin' and start contributing...whatever that may mean.

Unfortunately, since I'm able to come up to Chicago until August, the hunt for a home is much more difficult. I assume that street parking fills up around the entire campus during peak times (0800-1500), but how is street parking in general outside of those times? I've found a number of quaint apartments within a few blocks of the campus in different directions, but they only have, unfortunately, street parking.

On an entirely unrelated note, if anyone likes eating massive quantities of food, then I'm sure we'll be great friends come September. I do not consider something a cheeseburger unless it has two pounds of meat and a pound a cheese.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Dr. Doctor wrote:Hello, All! I finally figured I should stop creepin' and start contributing...whatever that may mean.

Unfortunately, since I'm able to come up to Chicago until August, the hunt for a home is much more difficult. I assume that street parking fills up around the entire campus during peak times (0800-1500), but how is street parking in general outside of those times? I've found a number of quaint apartments within a few blocks of the campus in different directions, but they only have, unfortunately, street parking.

On an entirely unrelated note, if anyone likes eating massive quantities of food, then I'm sure we'll be great friends come September. I do not consider something a cheeseburger unless it has two pounds of meat and a pound a cheese.


People make due with street parking. You just may have to walk a block or two. It sucks in winter, but everything sucks in winter here.

I think your distinction about entire campus/peak times/etc is not really on point, though. Directly around campus there is almost literally no street parking. What's relevant is how much there is around your specific apartment, and most of these apartments are not adjacant to campus.

If you want to list some specific addresses/intersections I can give the rundown. Or PM, whatever.

User avatar
Dr. Doctor
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Dr. Doctor » Thu May 23, 2013 2:39 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
People make due with street parking. You just may have to walk a block or two. It sucks in winter, but everything sucks in winter here.

I think your distinction about entire campus/peak times/etc is not really on point, though. Directly around campus there is almost literally no street parking. What's relevant is how much there is around your specific apartment, and most of these apartments are not adjacant to campus.

If you want to list some specific addresses/intersections I can give the rundown. Or PM, whatever.


Yes, I'm sorry for the confusion. I meant the parking in the blocks surrounding the campus, not directly on the perimeter. The winter walking shouldn't be a problem. What is winter depression for most others is happiness for me.

I've also PMed you.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 2014 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:48 pm

You can park within a block of the school up until 7:50 or sometimes 8:00, and after 4 the law school lot is fair game. I don't know when in the afternoon spots start to open up, but you will almost surely be on campus already whenever that point is.

User avatar
Dr. Doctor
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Dr. Doctor » Fri May 24, 2013 10:07 am

Also, does anyone know what is the earliest that classes start at the law school? The sample schedule shows all classes starting no earlier than 09:45, but it also has an entire slot for 08:30 classes.

BSC
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby BSC » Fri May 24, 2013 10:58 am

So this is extremely late, but are any guys still looking for a roommate for a 2 br in regents or nearby? If so, hit me up.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest