Chicago Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
I just don't want people to think Regents represents Hyde Park market prices - it doesn't! If anyone wants recommendations I'd be happy to help people find a better place.


Fire away

jsjd1989
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby jsjd1989 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:23 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
I just don't want people to think Regents represents Hyde Park market prices - it doesn't! If anyone wants recommendations I'd be happy to help people find a better place.


Fire away



yes please!!!

User avatar
BigDreamer
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby BigDreamer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:24 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
I just don't want people to think Regents represents Hyde Park market prices - it doesn't! If anyone wants recommendations I'd be happy to help people find a better place.


Fire away


Very interested!

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 20141023 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:27 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby cwid1391 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Maybe a current student or alum can answer this: is there a reliable way to get around Regent's ridiculous parking prices? I'm more than willing to pay $50-100 a month for parking, but $175 is ridiculous. Is it possible to find street parking fairly reliably?

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:36 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Fire away


I'm a huge fan of TLC management (http://chicagorentals.com/); my current lease is with them, and I think they're worth every penny. A lot of their buildings are older but they keep them in very good shape, in contrast to a lot of places in hyde park which are old and NOT in good shape. They also are quite charming for this reason: mine has lots of cool architectural details and a ton of personality. Scholar's Corner is very close to Regents, like, a thirty second walk. The flamingo has a pool, but it's Chicago. The mayfair and Madison park apartments are nice, but expensive. I don't really know about the rest of their buildings, though I looked at some in other buildings when I was searching for the one I have now. The only one I would not recommend is Woodlawn House.

McKey and Poague (http://www.mandpoffice.com/) is probably not an option unless you can come to Chicago and look at apartments this summer; they're super old-school and will drive you around in a station wagon to look at stuff. But they have really good buildings and are CHEAP. My favorite apartment I lived in in undergrad was from here. I payed 350$/mo for one bedroom in a 3BR and had a personal balcony.

MAC (--LinkRemoved--) has a bad reputation among undergrads, but I think it's not entirely deserved. They've renovated a lot of buildings lately and the new stuff is nice and reasonably priced. I almost ended up in East Park Tower instead of my current place.

Most students find apartments through http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/apartments, but again this might be a little hard without being able to come to Chicago. If you find something and have a question about it feel free to PM me and I can talk about where it is in hyde park, whether it's a good price, etc. I lived in an amazing condo for a couple years in undergrad that I found on here; it was three stories, four bedrooms, and had a patio and fireplace. And I paid 500$/mo. Most people don't get that lucky, but overall it's pretty cheap.

ETA: Oh there's also this: --LinkRemoved-- which the student government tried to start, but it looks like it's kind of dying out. It used to be a fair bit more active and you can still get some hits.
Last edited by beepboopbeep on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:38 pm

cwid1391 wrote:Maybe a current student or alum can answer this: is there a reliable way to get around Regent's ridiculous parking prices? I'm more than willing to pay $50-100 a month for parking, but $175 is ridiculous. Is it possible to find street parking fairly reliably?


Street parking sucks but people do it. It's hard in all of Hyde Park but especially bad around Regents - there's a lot kinda behind their building, but I think it's permit, presumably for Regents itself. I don't have a car here and I pity those that do. You might be able to rent a spot from someone in another building who doesn't need theirs?

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 2014 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:53 pm

By the time you take into account your non-trivial odds of having your windows broken, the extra maintenance from parking in the snow, the potential inability to find parking (thus a long walk), and the periodic street cleaning, I really doubt the savings is worth it. I pay it every month and it's infuriating, but I know my car will be safe, close, and warm/dry.

Also re: other Regents costs.

Gym membership was free for us, I'd ask for it if they aren't quoting it as part of the law school deal anymore.

The free internet is pretty slow and spotty. You can pay to upgrade which makes it less slow and less spotty but it isn't great.

The utilities we pay for, whatever they are, probably average $40 a month tops.

If you get cable it has to be DirectTV and it takes like a month to get an appointment for them to set it up so plan early if that is something you are interested in.

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby cwid1391 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:57 pm

2014 wrote:By the time you take into account your non-trivial odds of having your windows broken, the extra maintenance from parking in the snow, the potential inability to find parking (thus a long walk), and the periodic street cleaning, I really doubt the savings is worth it. I pay it every month and it's infuriating, but I know my car will be safe, close, and warm/dry.

Also re: other Regents costs.

Gym membership was free for us, I'd ask for it if they aren't quoting it as part of the law school deal anymore.

The free internet is pretty slow and spotty. You can pay to upgrade which makes it less slow and less spotty but it isn't great.

The utilities we pay for, whatever they are, probably average $40 a month tops.

If you get cable it has to be DirectTV and it takes like a month to get an appointment for them to set it up so plan early if that is something you are interested in.


I'm wondering if I can negotiate to get free parking as a condition for signing a lease. We'll see, I may wait until the last minute to see if they're trying to fill spots any way they can. I really like having a car even though its probably impractical.

Edit: If anyone was wondering I just spoke with someone at Regents and the studios are $1000-1200 (depending on the view) with the student discount.
Last edited by cwid1391 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:05 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Fire away


I'm a huge fan of TLC management (http://chicagorentals.com/); my current lease is with them, and I think they're worth every penny. A lot of their buildings are older but they keep them in very good shape, in contrast to a lot of places in hyde park which are old and NOT in good shape. They also are quite charming for this reason: mine has lots of cool architectural details and a ton of personality. Scholar's Corner is very close to Regents, like, a thirty second walk. The flamingo has a pool, but it's Chicago. The mayfair and Madison park apartments are nice, but expensive. I don't really know about the rest of their buildings, though I looked at some in other buildings when I was searching for the one I have now. The only one I would not recommend is Woodlawn House.

McKey and Poague (http://www.mandpoffice.com/) is probably not an option unless you can come to Chicago and look at apartments this summer; they're super old-school and will drive you around in a station wagon to look at stuff. But they have really good buildings and are CHEAP. My favorite apartment I lived in in undergrad was from here. I payed 350$/mo for one bedroom in a 3BR and had a personal balcony.

MAC (--LinkRemoved--) has a bad reputation among undergrads, but I think it's not entirely deserved. They've renovated a lot of buildings lately and the new stuff is nice and reasonably priced. I almost ended up in East Park Tower instead of my current place.

Most students find apartments through http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/apartments, but again this might be a little hard without being able to come to Chicago. If you find something and have a question about it feel free to PM me and I can talk about where it is in hyde park, whether it's a good price, etc. I lived in an amazing condo for a couple years in undergrad that I found on here; it was three stories, four bedrooms, and had a patio and fireplace. And I paid 500$/mo. Most people don't get that lucky, but overall it's pretty cheap.

ETA: Oh there's also this: --LinkRemoved-- which the student government tried to start, but it looks like it's kind of dying out. It used to be a fair bit more active and you can still get some hits.


Wow, Scholar's Corner looks very legit.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:08 pm

cwid1391 wrote:
2014 wrote:By the time you take into account your non-trivial odds of having your windows broken, the extra maintenance from parking in the snow, the potential inability to find parking (thus a long walk), and the periodic street cleaning, I really doubt the savings is worth it. I pay it every month and it's infuriating, but I know my car will be safe, close, and warm/dry.

Also re: other Regents costs.

Gym membership was free for us, I'd ask for it if they aren't quoting it as part of the law school deal anymore.

The free internet is pretty slow and spotty. You can pay to upgrade which makes it less slow and less spotty but it isn't great.

The utilities we pay for, whatever they are, probably average $40 a month tops.

If you get cable it has to be DirectTV and it takes like a month to get an appointment for them to set it up so plan early if that is something you are interested in.


I'm wondering if I can negotiate to get free parking as a condition for signing a lease. We'll see, I may wait until the last minute to see if they're trying to fill spots any way they can. I really like having a car even though its probably impractical.

Edit: If anyone was wondering I just spoke with someone at Regents and the studios are $1000-1200 (depending on the view) with the student discount.


Just curious who did you speak to?

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:10 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Wow, Scholar's Corner looks very legit.


It is for sure. I can take pictures of my apartment if anyone wants, lol. I honestly have no preference between CCN, but I am sorta hoping to get off the Chi waitlist just so I can keep the apartment.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:11 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Wow, Scholar's Corner looks very legit.


It is for sure. I can take pictures of my apartment if anyone wants, lol. I honestly have no preference between CCN, but I am sorta hoping to get off the Chi waitlist just so I can keep the apartment.

Please do! And good luck, I know a lot of people got pulled off the waitlist last year.

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby cwid1391 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:28 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:
2014 wrote:By the time you take into account your non-trivial odds of having your windows broken, the extra maintenance from parking in the snow, the potential inability to find parking (thus a long walk), and the periodic street cleaning, I really doubt the savings is worth it. I pay it every month and it's infuriating, but I know my car will be safe, close, and warm/dry.

Also re: other Regents costs.

Gym membership was free for us, I'd ask for it if they aren't quoting it as part of the law school deal anymore.

The free internet is pretty slow and spotty. You can pay to upgrade which makes it less slow and less spotty but it isn't great.

The utilities we pay for, whatever they are, probably average $40 a month tops.

If you get cable it has to be DirectTV and it takes like a month to get an appointment for them to set it up so plan early if that is something you are interested in.


I'm wondering if I can negotiate to get free parking as a condition for signing a lease. We'll see, I may wait until the last minute to see if they're trying to fill spots any way they can. I really like having a car even though its probably impractical.

Edit: If anyone was wondering I just spoke with someone at Regents and the studios are $1000-1200 (depending on the view) with the student discount.


Just curious who did you speak to?


Audra

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby 20141023 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:36 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Xifeng » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:51 pm

I don't live in Regents, but I really doubt you'll be able to get free parking "thrown in." It's not cheap, but it's about the same level as all other lots in the area, but at least it's close and also covered (which is nice in the winter). When I went to ASW back in the day, a current student didn't pay for parking but said that as long as his parking tickets were less than the $150 for the lot space he considered it a good choice.

I think browsing the buildings for TLC/MAC is a good idea to look at alternatives. There are also a lot of buildings near Regents if you want to be close to other 1Ls but not pay Regents prices or have everyone up in your business. There's the Algonquin right there, and the Del Prado is across the park.

Also, part of the Regents "premium" is that it's super easy. So you are paying more for having your choice be really is. If you're okay with that, that's fine, but seriously don't think that Regents is a bargain or the cheapest option out there. Most people are happy with their choice to live there 1L, but there's also a reason most people leave Regents after their first year.

User avatar
naw
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby naw » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:52 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Wow, Scholar's Corner looks very legit.


It is for sure. I can take pictures of my apartment if anyone wants, lol. I honestly have no preference between CCN, but I am sorta hoping to get off the Chi waitlist just so I can keep the apartment.

Hey beepboop, wanna split that $500 referral if I rent a place from TLC?

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:54 am

naw wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Wow, Scholar's Corner looks very legit.


It is for sure. I can take pictures of my apartment if anyone wants, lol. I honestly have no preference between CCN, but I am sorta hoping to get off the Chi waitlist just so I can keep the apartment.

Hey beepboop, wanna split that $500 referral if I rent a place from TLC?


Ha, sure thing. My lease runs through the end of August so I'll still be here then. I actually ended up doing the same thing with an ex of mine who was living in another TLC building when I moved in... it was awkward as shit, but both of us were willing to get over it for $250.

Also just remembered: no deposit for TLC buildings.

MasterOfAllISurvey
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby MasterOfAllISurvey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
naw wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Wow, Scholar's Corner looks very legit.


It is for sure. I can take pictures of my apartment if anyone wants, lol. I honestly have no preference between CCN, but I am sorta hoping to get off the Chi waitlist just so I can keep the apartment.

Hey beepboop, wanna split that $500 referral if I rent a place from TLC?


Ha, sure thing. My lease runs through the end of August so I'll still be here then. I actually ended up doing the same thing with an ex of mine who was living in another TLC building when I moved in... it was awkward as shit, but both of us were willing to get over it for $250.

Also just remembered: no deposit for TLC buildings.



Do you know anything about the grad school apartments? A few of them look nice on the outside but there are no pictures of the interior.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 am

MasterOfAllISurvey wrote:
Do you know anything about the grad school apartments? A few of them look nice on the outside but there are no pictures of the interior.


No idea. The prices aren't bad, though! I would guess, having been in undergrad housing, that the furniture sucks, so probably go for unfurnished if possible.

ETA: I would not really recommend living in any of the ones below 60th until you're more familiar with the neighborhood. That area is safer than it once was, but is still dicier than the rest of hyde park.

MasterOfAllISurvey
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby MasterOfAllISurvey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:28 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
MasterOfAllISurvey wrote:
Do you know anything about the grad school apartments? A few of them look nice on the outside but there are no pictures of the interior.


No idea. The prices aren't bad, though! I would guess, having been in undergrad housing, that the furniture sucks, so probably go for unfurnished if possible.

ETA: I would not really recommend living in any of the ones below 60th until you're more familiar with the neighborhood. That area is safer than it once was, but is still dicier than the rest of hyde park.



Thank you. I've been looking at the floor plans and they look exceptionally spacious!

vulpixie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby vulpixie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 am

Anyone have thoughts on the Del Prado? Is there quick public transportation from the DP to the law school?

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:45 am

vulpixie wrote:Anyone have thoughts on the Del Prado? Is there quick public transportation from the DP to the law school?


It's newly-redone and a bit pricey. Good location for getting uptown. Run by MAC - it's been presented as kind of their flagship remodeling project, so probably pretty nice. Hard to say about the public transportation: currently, the 171 runs directly between there and the law school, but the 171/172 are being cancelled in the fall, and the university hasn't announced how it's going to replace them yet. They WILL replace them - too many people live in East Hyde Park for them not to, and it's like a 30 minute walk - but it's unclear whether they'll retain the same routes as the 171/172 and whether the service will be as regular/reliable.

vulpixie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby vulpixie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
vulpixie wrote:Anyone have thoughts on the Del Prado? Is there quick public transportation from the DP to the law school?


It's newly-redone and a bit pricey. Good location for getting uptown. Run by MAC - it's been presented as kind of their flagship remodeling project, so probably pretty nice. Hard to say about the public transportation: currently, the 171 runs directly between there and the law school, but the 171/172 are being cancelled in the fall, and the university hasn't announced how it's going to replace them yet. They WILL replace them - too many people live in East Hyde Park for them not to, and it's like a 30 minute walk - but it's unclear whether they'll retain the same routes as the 171/172 and whether the service will be as regular/reliable.


Thank you! Do many LS students live there?

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:03 pm

vulpixie wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
vulpixie wrote:Anyone have thoughts on the Del Prado? Is there quick public transportation from the DP to the law school?


It's newly-redone and a bit pricey. Good location for getting uptown. Run by MAC - it's been presented as kind of their flagship remodeling project, so probably pretty nice. Hard to say about the public transportation: currently, the 171 runs directly between there and the law school, but the 171/172 are being cancelled in the fall, and the university hasn't announced how it's going to replace them yet. They WILL replace them - too many people live in East Hyde Park for them not to, and it's like a 30 minute walk - but it's unclear whether they'll retain the same routes as the 171/172 and whether the service will be as regular/reliable.


Thank you! Do many LS students live there?


Afraid you'd have to ask a current student - I just went to undergrad here and am still in the area - but it's only been open for like, a year? It hasn't really had time to get established yet, so I doubt more than a handful of law students live there, if any. That having been said, it's two blocks away from Regents, so you'd be pretty close to the rest of the 1Ls.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest