Chicago Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Rahviveh

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:03 am

Emma. wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:
Emma. wrote:Congrats, you guys. I won't be around for your 1L year, but looking forward to meeting you all at ASW.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would be bummed if there isn't an official late-night event at ASW? There'll definitely be plenty of unofficial opportunities to go out drinking with current students and your future classmates (Bar Review is on Thursdays and there'll definitely be people up for going out on Friday) but it sounds like there might not be any official ASW events that go past 9:30p or something.

There is usually a reception on Thursday night and of course Wine Mess then dinner on Friday, but after that it might be just up to the folks who want to go out to do that (though I'm sure there'd be a bunch of current students that would want to show you a good time).

I would have preferred an official event so that I know which bar to go to. Otherwise it is what it is

If there is no official event I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding out where people are planning to go.

I think having an official event just makes things easier for the aspies. But nobody cares about our needs :cry:

Postby 20141023 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm

it's aight i'm looking forward to our aspie hang-out time

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Crowing wrote:it's aight i'm looking forward to our aspie hang-out time

Oh there'll be plenty of that :lol:

And bar review is still going to happen, so that's organized. So if you're committed to organized activities there's always that.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:38 pm

Xifeng wrote:

And bar review is still going to happen, so that's organized. So if you're committed to organized activities there's always that.

Yeah, it isn't like everyone will all just be scattering. There will also be "official" ASW social events both evenings, it is just that they both may end relatively early. And it isn't like we'll forget about you guys, of course you'll be invited to bar review and I'm sure current students will suggest a bar where people can meet up after dinner on Fri.

ASW is fun but it can also be really exhausting. Hopefully by skipping the official late night thing, no one who is really tired will feel obligated to go out til 4am on either Thurs or Fri.

And those of you who are super aspie can minimize your socializing altogether.

reallysearch

Postby reallysearch » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Emma. wrote:
Xifeng wrote:

Yeah, it isn't like everyone will all just be scattering. There will also be "official" ASW social events both evenings, it is just that they both may end relatively early. And it isn't like we'll forget about you guys, of course you'll be invited to bar review and I'm sure current students will suggest a bar where people can meet up after dinner on Fri.

ASW is fun but it can also be really exhausting. Hopefully by skipping the official late night thing, no one who is really tired will feel obligated to go out til 4am on either Thurs or Fri.

And those of you who are super aspie can minimize your socializing altogether.

sounds exciting... :D Are most of the night activities in downtown or Hyde Park area?

ps: what is the dress code for ASW?

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:05 pm

reallysearch wrote:
sounds exciting... :D Are most of the night activities in downtown or Hyde Park area?

Look neat but don't wear a suit. For guys, khakis + non-dress shirt works well. I don't pretend to understand women's fashion, but hopefully that provides some guidance. The official email last year said:
"Dress code/attire: The dress code for all ASW events is casual. Admitted students’ attire usually ranges from casual to business casual. Please dress comfortably, but keep in mind you will be meeting faculty and administrators."

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:09 pm

reallysearch wrote:

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:25 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
reallysearch wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just don't suit up. Most people wear jeans and a nice-ish shirt/top. It's April, but it's still Chicago, so jeans + boots for girls are completely fine. Don't wear anything ripped/stained/whatever, but it's really not a big deal. And the last couple of years there's been deep dish pizza + bowling, so you presumably don't want to be doing that in nice clothes.

I will approve outfits via PM if people are deeply insecure about their choices. :lol:

reallysearch

Postby reallysearch » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:05 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
reallysearch wrote:

This is totally awesome Papi... Maybe if I show up in this they will give me a ruby? :P

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:06 pm

reallysearch wrote:sounds exciting... :D Are most of the night activities in downtown or Hyde Park area?

Also- when are we getting the ASW schedule/ Chicago Hilton link?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:19 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
reallysearch wrote:sounds exciting... :D Are most of the night activities in downtown or Hyde Park area?

Also- when are we getting the ASW schedule/ Chicago Hilton link?

No clue about the schedule. Soon?

And the activities are mostly downtown, but there are usually buses that go back to Hyde Park if your host lives there, and there are always people cabbing (and it's cheap to split).

reallysearch

Postby reallysearch » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:30 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:Look neat but don't wear a suit. For guys, khakis + non-dress shirt works well. I don't pretend to understand women's fashion, but hopefully that provides some guidance. The official email last year said:
"Dress code/attire: The dress code for all ASW events is casual. Admitted students’ attire usually ranges from casual to business casual. Please dress comfortably, but keep in mind you will be meeting faculty and administrators."

Xifeng wrote:
Just don't suit up. Most people wear jeans and a nice-ish shirt/top. It's April, but it's still Chicago, so jeans + boots for girls are completely fine. Don't wear anything ripped/stained/whatever, but it's really not a big deal. And the last couple of years there's been deep dish pizza + bowling, so you presumably don't want to be doing that in nice clothes.

I will approve outfits via PM if people are deeply insecure about their choices. :lol:

Thanks AspiringAcademic and Xifeng :)

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
reallysearch wrote:

The puppy makes this.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Xifeng wrote:I will approve outfits via PM if people are deeply insecure about their choices. :lol:

I totally want in on this.

Oh, and I'd say that overall most events are at or around the law school, but you'll have the opportunity to go out downtown on both Thurs and Fri if you want. There'll almost certainly be an official dinner event downtown on Friday night involving Chicago deep-dish it is a UChi ASW tradition. Keep in mind though that all the ASW events (both those on and off the schedule) are there for your benefit and are completely optional.

Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Xifeng wrote:I will approve outfits via PM if people are deeply insecure about their choices. :lol:

Oh, and I'd say that overall most events are at or around the law school, but you'll have the opportunity to go out downtown on both Thurs and Fri if you want. There'll almost certainly be an official dinner event downtown on Friday night involving Chicago deep-dish it is a UChi ASW tradition. Keep in mind though that all the ASW events (both those on and off the schedule) are there for your benefit and are completely optional.

Hell. Yes.

I love STL-style thin crust but deep dish is also good. It's just so different that I almost don't feel like it's pizza but some other kind of food entirely.

reallysearch

Postby reallysearch » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 pm

Crowing wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Hell. Yes.

I love STL-style thin crust but deep dish is also good. It's just so different that I almost don't feel like it's pizza but some other kind of food entirely.

I over-estimated my appetite every time I went for the deep-dish... :P

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 am

Now I consider myself a pizza fan, but deep dish pizza just seems like lasagna to me. Am i way off there?

Postby 20141023 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 am

I'm not old enough to have seen this originally, but this from TTH's anthology is fantastic:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3308682/tlsarchive/chicago.htm

dcg2120

Postby dcg2120 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:59 am

Crowing wrote:I'm not old enough to have seen this originally, but this from TTH's anthology is fantastic:

This is amazing.

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 am

Crowing wrote:I'm not old enough to have seen this originally, but this from TTH's anthology is fantastic:

lol status anxiety is eternal. I wonder how T14 grads feel when they show up to work with Fordham LR types who are probably better lawyers than they are.

UNRELATED: Can anyone familiar with Chicago COL tell me what kind of aid offer from Chicago would be approximately on par with 75k from NYU? Maybe 45k? I'm also trying to account for the tiny tuition difference.

ETA: Also, are there any good falafel places near hyde park? I like falafels.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Checking in. Excited to visit!

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Hey kappycaft1 you don't happen to have a kotatsu do you? I feel like one of those would be amazing to have for Chicago winters.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”