Chicago Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Mad Hatter

Silver

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2016

Post by Mad Hatter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Xifeng wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:A shuttle might even be better since it can just go straight to Cornell instead of crapping along Woodlawn for like 10 minutes. Related question: Why do those buses loiter in front of Harris like that? Is it to stay on schedule?
Well it may still be a tough commute from Regents to Cornell even if its a direct shuttle. You may want to consider closer housing options, perhaps in College town?
He's talking about streets in Hyde Park.
I was about to complain about 0Ls posting in this thread, but then...

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:A shuttle might even be better since it can just go straight to Cornell instead of crapping along Woodlawn for like 10 minutes. Related question: Why do those buses loiter in front of Harris like that? Is it to stay on schedule?
Well it may still be a tough commute from Regents to Cornell even if its a direct shuttle. You may want to consider closer housing options, perhaps in College town?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah we should probably let them have their thread.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
Fail! Lol. I thought I had a clever one too :(

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

reallysearch

Bronze

Post by reallysearch » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Regulus wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Fail! Lol. I thought I had a clever one too :(
Hahaha I probably would have made the same mistake if I hadn't just been to Chicago and walked along Cornell Avenue. :lol:

By the way Papi, has Chicago indicated on your status checker that they've received your seat deposit yet? I drove to the mail box outside of the local post office where I live on the night of January 16th (the day we all got our admitted students website log-in information) and sent it off... with the due date being 1/31, I am wondering if I should call them on the 30th if they still haven't posted it by then.
Mine hasn't been updated either. Mailed it like 10 minutes after I got the ASW email...

Anyway I will be visiting the school this Thursday, maybe I should bring my checkbook just in case...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:54 am

reallysearch wrote:
Regulus wrote:
Hahaha I probably would have made the same mistake if I hadn't just been to Chicago and walked along Cornell Avenue. :lol:

By the way Papi, has Chicago indicated on your status checker that they've received your seat deposit yet? I drove to the mail box outside of the local post office where I live on the night of January 16th (the day we all got our admitted students website log-in information) and sent it off... with the due date being 1/31, I am wondering if I should call them on the 30th if they still haven't posted it by then.
Mine hasn't been updated either. Mailed it like 10 minutes after I got the ASW email...

Anyway I will be visiting the school this Thursday, maybe I should bring my checkbook just in case...
Were you planning on doing a tour? If so they only happen Mondays and Fridays for some reason, but you can obviously free lance it. Let me know if you want recommendations on any classes to sit in on (or not sit in on)

reallysearch

Bronze

Post by reallysearch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:07 am

2014 wrote:
reallysearch wrote:
Regulus wrote:

Were you planning on doing a tour? If so they only happen Mondays and Fridays for some reason, but you can obviously free lance it. Let me know if you want recommendations on any classes to sit in on (or not sit in on)

I did the guided tour last year before I decided to ED. So this time is more about looking for apartments and get to know the area better while in town. :D

I am interested in sitting in one of the classes, just a little worried that this might leave a gunner reputation behind... :P Generally how do ppl view over excited 0Ls visiting before ASW?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:12 am

reallysearch wrote:I am interested in sitting in one of the classes, just a little worried that this might leave a gunner reputation behind... :P Generally how do ppl view over excited 0Ls visiting before ASW?
0L sitting in on a class = not a problem at all; is encouraged
0L sitting in on a class and participating in the class = everyone will mock you

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:13 am

reallysearch wrote: I am interested in sitting in one of the classes, just a little worried that this might leave a gunner reputation behind... :P Generally how do ppl view over excited 0Ls visiting before ASW?
Lots of people do it, one of the professors even has a whole protocol to introduce the visiting student(s). Just don't say anything stupid, ask any questions, or do anything gunnerish like taking notes. Someone did something along those lines last year and got flack for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:20 am

reallysearch wrote: I did the guided tour last year before I decided to ED. So this time is more about looking for apartments and get to know the area better while in town. :D

I am interested in sitting in one of the classes, just a little worried that this might leave a gunner reputation behind... :P Generally how do ppl view over excited 0Ls visiting before ASW?
No one will remotely judge you, we have people sitting in pretty often. I'd encourage you to sit in on one if you have the time.

Thursday 1L schedule is

8:30 Contracts - Baird
9:45 Property - Helmholz
11:00 Crim - Both McAdams and Miles
12:15 Lunch
1:30 Torts - Both Levmore and Henderson

Baird is awesome but that might be early.
Helmholz is a stand at the podium and grill 1 or 2 people for an hour type, but he is basically an institution and is well known and well liked.
Crim is probably a bad class to sit in on, it can be dry, but I'd probably go with McAdams talking to people from each section.
Torts would likely be the most fun to sit in on and you would be insane not to choose Levmore, his class flies by and hilarity usually ensues.

reallysearch

Bronze

Post by reallysearch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:27 am

2014 wrote:
reallysearch wrote: I did the guided tour last year before I decided to ED. So this time is more about looking for apartments and get to know the area better while in town. :D

No one will remotely judge you, we have people sitting in pretty often. I'd encourage you to sit in on one if you have the time.

Thursday 1L schedule is

8:30 Contracts - Baird
9:45 Property - Helmholz
11:00 Crim - Both McAdams and Miles
12:15 Lunch
1:30 Torts - Both Levmore and Henderson

Baird is awesome but that might be early.
Helmholz is a stand at the podium and grill 1 or 2 people for an hour type, but he is basically an institution and is well known and well liked.
Crim is probably a bad class to sit in on, it can be dry, but I'd probably go with McAdams talking to people from each section.
Torts would likely be the most fun to sit in on and you would be insane not to choose Levmore, his class flies by and hilarity usually ensues.

Thanks! Now I can't wait for Thursday! :D

reallysearch

Bronze

Post by reallysearch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:29 am

And thanks Danny and Mad Hatter!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:50 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm curious about why Regent's is so popular when on Padmapper it looks like there are quite a few places that are closer to campus and much cheaper (like $800-900/month for a 1BR). I mean, I get that they're smaller and don't have amenities and such, but I'm used to living like a student lol... Am I missing something big like safety?

reallysearch

Bronze

Post by reallysearch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Regulus wrote:
reallysearch wrote:Mine hasn't been updated either. Mailed it like 10 minutes after I got the ASW email...

My seat deposit finally posted to the status checker earlier today. :mrgreen:

After my acceptance box from Vanderbilt got lost :( (and I never did end up receiving it) and my acceptance envelope from Michigan got delivered to a different address :| (but the person was nice enough to walk over to my home and hand it to me), I’ve been afraid of trusting the postal service with important mail.
should we expect a package from Chicago soon? I camped next to my mailbox waiting for my NYU decision letter in December, and a purple envelope came--and it was from Akron... Ouch... :shock:

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Crowing wrote:I'm curious about why Regent's is so popular when on Padmapper it looks like there are quite a few places that are closer to campus and much cheaper (like $800-900/month for a 1BR). I mean, I get that they're smaller and don't have amenities and such, but I'm used to living like a student lol... Am I missing something big like safety?
Yeah to me Regents just seems over the top

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:34 pm

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Crowing wrote:I'm curious about why Regent's is so popular when on Padmapper it looks like there are quite a few places that are closer to campus and much cheaper (like $800-900/month for a 1BR). I mean, I get that they're smaller and don't have amenities and such, but I'm used to living like a student lol... Am I missing something big like safety?
I'd say most UChicago law students are used to living in at least a decent apartment by the time they get to law school and don't want to live in a dorm or a shitty apartment with crappy amenities.

Of course, there are other nice places besides Regents, but I think Regents in particular is popular because it's the path of least resistance. Lots of law students live there and can vouch for it, it's definitely a social hub during 1L, and for students who don't feel like apartment hunting or scoping out other places, it's just easy to live where a bunch of other law students live.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Has anyone found information on what the discounted Hilton rate is for ASW? I'm not sure whether it is worth it to plan on that or search elsewhere. Honestly I wouldn't even know where to start since I am clueless about Chicago

reallysearch

Bronze

Post by reallysearch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Has anyone found information on what the discounted Hilton rate is for ASW? I'm not sure whether it is worth it to plan on that or search elsewhere. Honestly I wouldn't even know where to start since I am clueless about Chicago
The link isn't up yet.

Usually when I visit Chicago, priceline seems to be a good place to look for hotels. I used their "name your own price" option pretty often. Look for hotels near "Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area" (Hilton Chicago is in that area too)

a related question, since the ASW is from Thursday to Saturday, anyone interested in hanging out on Sunday?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:32 pm

reallysearch wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:Has anyone found information on what the discounted Hilton rate is for ASW? I'm not sure whether it is worth it to plan on that or search elsewhere. Honestly I wouldn't even know where to start since I am clueless about Chicago
The link isn't up yet.

Usually when I visit Chicago, priceline seems to be a good place to look for hotels. I used their "name your own price" option pretty often. Look for hotels near "Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area" (Hilton Chicago is in that area too)

a related question, since the ASW is from Thursday to Saturday, anyone interested in hanging out on Sunday?
Thanks for that...the link not being up yet got me impatient. I gotta gtfo Sunday to pick up my daughter and get back home.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 pm

Just bought my ticket for ASW!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:43 pm

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Just bought my ticket for ASW!
Where you staying Papi?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”