Georgetown 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
nickb285

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby nickb285 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Challenge accepted.

Is Suits really that good? It kinda seemed like Boston Legal but without Shatner and maybe less preachy.

Also, is anyone living in the Silver Springs area? If I don't get off the waitlist for Gewirz I'll probably be finding a place up there since it's a bit cheaper and on the red line.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Bfalcon wrote:Hot diggity 8) Luxxe, this actually sounds like a challenge...and I'm always raring for a challenge 8)

Ladies and Gentlemen, on another note....I am currently watching the new episode of Suits!!! Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suits watching parties have got to happen in DC!

I hope you didn't think I was planning to take this on alone. Nickb, Bfalcon... prepare yourselves. Why do you think I decided to move so early? We can certainly hit 10 of those places before classes even start 8).

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:47 pm

luxxe wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:Hot diggity 8) Luxxe, this actually sounds like a challenge...and I'm always raring for a challenge 8)

Ladies and Gentlemen, on another note....I am currently watching the new episode of Suits!!! Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suits watching parties have got to happen in DC!

I hope you didn't think I was planning to take this on alone. Nickb, Bfalcon... prepare yourselves. Why do you think I decided to move so early? We can certainly hit 10 of those places before classes even start 8).

This is wonderful! I get into town on the 15th. That leaves room for a few.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:51 am

I like this. Looks like we have a crew together! So what is everyone doing for the last few weeks before DC?? I just got back home from a trip to California and am feeling ultra relaxed. I'm thinking beach+vball+skim boarding+climbing and gym for the doing stuff side of things, as well as hanging with friends, enjoying my home city, and maybe, just maybe, reading getting to maybe, as well as some books on the American constitution (as a Canadian, I feel like there are a few things I haven't picked up about y'alls over the years).

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:06 pm

I have a whole bunch of shit to do now that I'm going to GULC. I will spend the next two weeks packing and cleaning my apartment, as well as working my job until the 31st. The five or so days after that I'll be moving all of my stuff to my parents' house. During all that I'm going to try to figure out where I'm living; if they can't give me any info on the Gewirz waitlist by Monday I'm just going to deposit at a place in Silver Springs. Then from the 6th to the 15th I'm going to Belize, where I will try to relax and not stress out about law school and get drunk on the beach--still considering canceling the trip to reduce the other stress, but I'd really like to not do that. After that, I'll figure out what I'm taking and whether I'm driving or flying (which will largely depend on where I wind up living), and probably leave town on the 23rd or thereabouts either way.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:30 pm

I am working until the 9th unfortunately and then I am making a whirlwind five day trek all around the state (and I live in a big state) to say good bye to a lot of friends and family since I'm not sure when I'll be back in this part of the country again. Moving out to Noma on the 15th where I'll need to get all situated before classes. Its not a very relaxing lead in unfortunately so please drink it up for me on the beach in Belize!

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Damn, Belize sounds awesome. Do it! I think I'll be working right up until my move date, around the 15th.

Also, could a Hoya veteran post up a Guide to Free Food at GULC? :D

boredtodeath

Postby boredtodeath » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Yeah, I will be working up to the 16th and moving down on the 24th into Gewirz. Still wondering when we're gonna get roommate info for that. I just came back from Miami though so I guess I got my relaxing/drinking in.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:22 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Also, could a Hoya veteran post up a Guide to Free Food at GULC? :D

This is important. Yes, please.

I'm taking two grad classes and working until our big state convention on the 3rd, flying out at 5:30am on the 4th lolol. Spending August in DC drinking and having friends visit!! Making everyone come to me is so much easier.

So eager to get to DC. Deferring has meant an extra year to wait :wink:.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:22 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Damn, Belize sounds awesome. Do it! I think I'll be working right up until my move date, around the 15th.

Definitely gonna try, I've already got the flights and hotel reservations and car rental reserved and one tour booked, so it would be an expensive pain in the ass to cancel now, in addition to the fact that getting drunk on a beach sounds way better than not getting drunk on a beach.

Thought about working later, but my job is boring as hell anyway so I wanted to take some time off.

Also, could a Hoya veteran post up a Guide to Free Food at GULC? :D

Thirded. Though the 2L who gave me a tour when I visited told me about the free beer at the Wednesday wind down, which was exciting enough.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:45 pm

I left my job last week and I've been having a wonderful time doing nothing! I'm not moving until the 19th so I figured I'd spend the time reading books I want to read, catching up on TV shows, and hanging out with my friends here. I also have a bunch of administrative stuff to get done (new license, renters insurance, movers, apartment stuff etc.).

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Looks like I'm off the housing waitlist--double GULC waitlist victories over here. Large two bedroom, hopefully I'll get a decent roommate, and not having to bring my car means definitely having enough time for Belize. Booyah.

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:54 pm

boredtodeath wrote:Yeah, I will be working up to the 16th and moving down on the 24th into Gewirz. Still wondering when we're gonna get roommate info for that. I just came back from Miami though so I guess I got my relaxing/drinking in.

Same here.

Go to Belize!

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Found this today. Could be helpful.

desiballa21

Postby desiballa21 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:51 pm

nickb285 wrote:Found this today. Could be helpful.

good looking out, brother.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 pm

Oh man alive boys and girls! The days are counting! 33 days until I get to see all your beautiful faces haha. Luxxe, I can only imagine how impatient/excited you must be after that gap year!

And Nick, nice find on that. And I am a +1 on getting the heck down to Belize!

I'll see you in NOMA Rory, I move in on the 16th - roadtripping down from Canada!

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Bfalcon wrote:Oh man alive boys and girls! The days are counting! 33 days until I get to see all your beautiful faces haha. Luxxe, I can only imagine how impatient/excited you must be after that gap year!

I'll see you in NOMA Rory, I move in on the 16th - roadtripping down from Canada!

Bfalcon, I move in on the 15th!! Yes! We'll take NOMA (what there is of it) by storm!

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Rory19 wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:Oh man alive boys and girls! The days are counting! 33 days until I get to see all your beautiful faces haha. Luxxe, I can only imagine how impatient/excited you must be after that gap year!

Bfalcon, I move in on the 15th!! Yes! We'll take NOMA (what there is of it) by storm!

*high fives*

Also folks, I gave the admissions office a call about LRW assignments and small section assignments (ConLaw for us Section 5 types). They told me that we should find out which profs we're assigned the week of Aug 12-16, so at that time you should be able to purchase/rent books for that.

One last thing - I'd like to do a bit of reading to familiarize myself with the US Constitution. Coming from Canada, I feel like I'm at a bit of a disadvantage with my knowledge (or lack thereof) in that subject. Can anyone recommend a book or two?

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Bfalcon wrote:Also folks, I gave the admissions office a call about LRW assignments and small section assignments (ConLaw for us Section 5 types). They told me that we should find out which profs we're assigned the week of Aug 12-16, so at that time you should be able to purchase/rent books for that.

Wonderful! I thought we were going to have to wait until registration on the 28th. All of the ConLaw professors have assigned a different textbook so I was definitely anxious about that. Depending on that final puzzle piece I will hopefully be able to go completely digital this year. With the mile long walk from Noma, an iPad sounds much more appealing than those huge books.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Man, you guys are moving in early! I won't be there till the 24th and I'm still feeling like it's not enough time. I gotta pack, move, go to Belize, spend a weekend in the desert before I go to the east coast, hang out with friends, visit family, make sure all my paperwork is in order (I'm still not sure of all the paperwork there will be since I just got in and haven't gotten any sort of admission packet or anything beyond the admitted student site), find out who my roommate is, etc, etc...

Still pretty stoked though :D

Bfalcon wrote:*high fives*

Also folks, I gave the admissions office a call about LRW assignments and small section assignments (ConLaw for us Section 5 types). They told me that we should find out which profs we're assigned the week of Aug 12-16, so at that time you should be able to purchase/rent books for that.

Sweet, good to know.

One last thing - I'd like to do a bit of reading to familiarize myself with the US Constitution. Coming from Canada, I feel like I'm at a bit of a disadvantage with my knowledge (or lack thereof) in that subject. Can anyone recommend a book or two?

Not sure of a book on it, but I wouldn't worry too much honestly--there is a ton of stuff involved in the Constitution, and they're not going to expect people to know all of it. If you want to be on the same playing field as the average American, read the Wiki pages on the Bill of Rights (aka the first ten amendments) as they're the ones that get the press--right to free speech, right to bear arms, right to religion, no unreasonable search and seizure, all that good stuff. But the con law class I took even in undergrad involved a lot of legal issues that don't get much attention, things like Commerce Clause boundaries, takings (i.e. what constitutes a government taking possession of/rendering useless private property and what remedies are necessary), etc. and I can't imagine you'd be expected to know those.

Read through the Constitution itself, keep a copy handy (you can find it in booklet form for a few bucks on Amazon) but even most Americans going to law school are by no means Constitutional scholars.

buttes

Postby buttes » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:21 pm

You don't really need to know what's IN the constitution as much as its organization. You'll be taught what you need on free speech or due process, but knowing the layout/general content will make talking about the constitution much easier. Knowing that "Article I" is about the legislature and "Article III" is the judiciary is one of those basic things that might be assumed when, for instance, talking about separation of powers. Similarly, the First Amendment is going to implicate freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and petition.

Don't actually read the Constitution or worry about any interpretive stuff now, but knowing to look in Article II for presidential war powers is probably helpful.

danielr

Postby danielr » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Bfalcon: I would personally recommend a few books not on the Constitution (apart from reading the actual Constitution) but on the Supreme Court. I've always found the function of SCOTUS to be incredibly interesting in its own right, and it will shed light on many different interpretations of the Constitution, including when the Court exercises its jurisdiction in deciding uniquely Constitutional issues. I'll recommend a few readable, highly enjoyable books about SCOTUS--The Oath by Jeffrey Toobin, or, also by Toobin, The Nine; Becoming Justice Blackmun by Linda Greenhouse, or, also by Greenhouse, The U.S. Supreme Court: A Very Short Introduction, which is just that--very short and concise.

I would also recommend books with subjects in different areas of United States history, politics, and law--among them, and above all, The Federalist Papers; 1776 by David McCullough; and this last book I recommend with some reservation, but as a purely academic matter it is a worthwhile read: A Matter of Interpretation: Federal Courts and the Law, by Antonin Scalia. It is actually a very well-argued early work in defense of Scalia's "originalist/textualist" philosophy of legal interpretation, and is followed by criticism and commentary by three or four respected heavyweights in legal academia, among them Ronald Dworkin and Laurence Tribe.

I don't recommend these books as "necessary reading," but only as things that I have been reviewing these days before I also head out to DC. I don't mean to imply that you, or anyone else, probably hasn't read any of these works, so if you have don't be offended by the suggestion. I in turn welcome recommendations of good reads that will most likely be relevant for our time as law students.

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:42 am

Bfalcon wrote: One last thing - I'd like to do a bit of reading to familiarize myself with the US Constitution. Coming from Canada, I feel like I'm at a bit of a disadvantage with my knowledge (or lack thereof) in that subject. Can anyone recommend a book or two?

danielr wrote:Bfalcon: I would personally recommend a few books not on the Constitution (apart from reading the actual Constitution) but on the Supreme Court.

I'm with Daniel. Scotus book would be more interesting and help give you an idea. I just finished A People's History of the Supreme Court by Peter Irons. Its modeled on Howard Zinn's book (Zinn writes the intro.) Its very well written and gives you an overview from the writing of the Constitution to about 2006 of major cases and areas of litigation while weaving in information about individual justices and the politics that influenced the court.

abadname13

Postby abadname13 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:21 pm

CourCour wrote: I just finished A People's History of the Supreme Court by Peter Irons.

+1
I will carry around this book for the rest of my career.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Rory19 wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:Also folks, I gave the admissions office a call about LRW assignments and small section assignments (ConLaw for us Section 5 types). They told me that we should find out which profs we're assigned the week of Aug 12-16, so at that time you should be able to purchase/rent books for that.

Wonderful! I thought we were going to have to wait until registration on the 28th. All of the ConLaw professors have assigned a different textbook so I was definitely anxious about that. Depending on that final puzzle piece I will hopefully be able to go completely digital this year. With the mile long walk from Noma, an iPad sounds much more appealing than those huge books.

Did you find ebook versions of the textbooks? My understanding was most law textbooks aren't available in ebook form. Or were you thinking about scanning all the pages to pdf and using that with the ipad?

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”