Georgetown 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Rory19

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby Rory19 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Cuse has actually helped me out a lot in deciding which school was the best option for me--he definitely does not discriminate. He also has PM'd me when he heard of a new programs that matched my interests. I have no experience with the other candidates but I voted for Cuse.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:08 pm

I voted for North as I had no experience dealing with Cuse. North is a great guy as well, and I admire his involvement in the TLS community.

On a different note: yay for summer holidays as of today!! 1 month and 11 days till I move to DC!

knope2012

Postby knope2012 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 am

Hi all -- Rising GULC 2L here, happy to answer any questions you may have. I was in Section 3 and absolutely loved it. Though I don't know as much about the other sections (since Section 3 is the best, duh), I can certainly answer most questions you have about being a 1L at Georgetown.

I'm also selling a bunch of my supplements and textbooks that I used. (I hopefully will never need these again!) The following supplements helped me get either an A or an A- in the classes for which they are used.

Why should you buy the supplements now instead of just waiting until just before exams? Supplements can be really useful in clarifying concepts that you may not have fully gotten in class. Especially in classes like Bargain/contracts and torts, you'll want to really have a hold on the black letter law. Supplements are also really great for when you're on call and need to know everything about a topic before it's been taught by the professor so that you're ready to answer questions. Also I need room on my bookshelf so these have to go.

I'm still in DC for the summer and can drop them off wherever. Alternatively I can mail some of them to you if you'd like. Prices for supplements are about 10% off what Amazon charges. Much less than that for textbooks.

Supplements:
Emanuel Torts, 9th Ed. (2011) (FYI Peller, who teaches Bargain--contracts/torts--in Section 3 highly recommends the Emanuel's contracts and torts supplements)
Emanuel Contracts, 10th Ed. (2012)
Emanuel Administrative Law, 3rd Ed. (2010)
Emanuel Property, 8th Ed. (2012)
Emanuel Crunch Time Civil Procedure, 5th Ed. (2011) (This has coverage of class actions in it, which the best civpro supplement--Glannon's Examples and Explanations--does not cover. Glannon is highly recommended. I'm not selling mine because it will probably be useful in other courses.)
Emanuel Crunch Time Criminal Procedure (Good for light coverage of criminal procedure, which is all that's needed for Democracy and Coercion.)

Textbooks:
Gellhorn & Byse Administrative Law, 11th Ed. (For Molot, Government Processes. Highlighted with the cases you'll read!)
Death of Contract, 2nd Ed., Gilmore (Peller, Bargain)
Intro to Law and Legal Reasoning, 3rd Ed., Burton (LRW)

Apologies for the spam-like post. I really am happy to answer any questions you may have, though!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:19 pm

I have a two-bedroom apartment available in Mass Court across the street from school. If anyone is interested, message me! It's one of the largest 2-bedrooms in Mass Court. My roommate and I both just graduated in May so we're looking to assign it over to two people.

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Checking out guys, Gtowns awesome but I've all but decided to head elsewhere

jone7007

Postby jone7007 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:10 am

Hi knope2012

What surprised you about GULC that you didn't know before you started?
What are you most glad you did at GULC? Why do you think you were successful this year?

Thanks!

knope2012

Postby knope2012 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:06 am

jone7007 wrote:Hi knope2012

What are you most glad you did at GULC? Why do you think you were successful this year?

Thanks!

I was surprised at how easy it was to make friends with really incredible people. I was in Section 3, so I have a feeling that made it a bit easier, but I have met very, very few people that I haven't liked. I had been told that GULC was full of bros, and that certainly has not been my experience. I was also surprised at how much I actually liked law school, which I was not expecting after hearing "OMG YOUR FIRST YEAR OF LAW SCHOOL IS TEH WORST!" a bunch of times.

I am most glad that I did Section 3. I know it may be too late for the rest of you, but for those of you who are in Section 3, you will certainly be glad that you made that choice. The people are amazing. We don't have many gunners, which is nice. The gunners we do have are Marxists, which is a nice change of pace. (Don't get me wrong, they're still insane, but they're insane in a different--if still frustrating--way.) I'm also glad that I participated in student groups that were tailored to my particular interests. It's a great way to meet 2Ls and 3Ls, who are almost always happy to talk to you about advice for the future (which professors to take, which to avoid, write on, EIW, etc.)

With the caveat that everyone's study habits are different, I think I was successful because I: took notes by hand instead of on the computer; did not waste time with case briefs; did not waste time outlining in the middle of the semester; used the outline bank wisely and tailored old outlines to my style; did not bend to pressure to join study groups when I thought I could learn better my own way; was not a hermit and knew when to go out and get a drink with my friends; and did not think of exams as a life or death matter, which will almost certainly freak you out and hamper your success.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 am

knope2012 wrote:
jone7007 wrote:Hi knope2012

Thanks!

I was surprised at how easy it was to make friends with really incredible people. I was in Section 3, so I have a feeling that made it a bit easier, but I have met very, very few people that I haven't liked. I had been told that GULC was full of bros, and that certainly has not been my experience. I was also surprised at how much I actually liked law school, which I was not expecting after hearing "OMG YOUR FIRST YEAR OF LAW SCHOOL IS TEH WORST!" a bunch of times.

I am most glad that I did Section 3. I know it may be too late for the rest of you, but for those of you who are in Section 3, you will certainly be glad that you made that choice. The people are amazing. We don't have many gunners, which is nice. The gunners we do have are Marxists, which is a nice change of pace. (Don't get me wrong, they're still insane, but they're insane in a different--if still frustrating--way.) I'm also glad that I participated in student groups that were tailored to my particular interests. It's a great way to meet 2Ls and 3Ls, who are almost always happy to talk to you about advice for the future (which professors to take, which to avoid, write on, EIW, etc.)

With the caveat that everyone's study habits are different, I think I was successful because I: took notes by hand instead of on the computer; did not waste time with case briefs; did not waste time outlining in the middle of the semester; used the outline bank wisely and tailored old outlines to my style; did not bend to pressure to join study groups when I thought I could learn better my own way; was not a hermit and knew when to go out and get a drink with my friends; and did not think of exams as a life or death matter, which will almost certainly freak you out and hamper your success.

This is really credited. Obviously, its good to have a healthy amount of anxiety/apprehension about starting law school. Just like it is with any big, new life experience. But seriously, just do your thing. Try hard, have some fun, do what works for you. Getting caught up in the law school game is just seems horrible.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:25 pm

So, I'm flying down to Cali for a trip to LA and San Diego tomorrow. While I'm there I'm hoping to set up a US bank account/credit card etc. Anyone have any suggestions on banks/procedures??

boredtodeath

Postby boredtodeath » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Bfalcon wrote:So, I'm flying down to Cali for a trip to LA and San Diego tomorrow. While I'm there I'm hoping to set up a US bank account/credit card etc. Anyone have any suggestions on banks/procedures??

I would try and find whatever bank is most popular/has the most ATMs in the DC area. Go with a bank that offers free checking as well (I think pretty much all banks do this now).

jone7007

Postby jone7007 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Bfalcon wrote:So, I'm flying down to Cali for a trip to LA and San Diego tomorrow. While I'm there I'm hoping to set up a US bank account/credit card etc. Anyone have any suggestions on banks/procedures??

You might look at HSBC bank. I think they have DC branches both the US and Canada. If they have branch in you home city it may be easier for you when you're home and moving money. I had luck with them when I lived in Europe.

The downside being are limited are far as ATMs in DC but there is branch on Connecticut Avenue in downtown DC about a mile from campus.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:56 pm

Just signed a lease in Columbia Heights!! Moving August 4 :mrgreen:. If anyone is up there that early/wants to hang out, we should!! Excited to geek out over living in DC with other new people.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Hey folks! So I'm late to the party, and not 100% sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on GULC yet, but I got in off the waitlist with a scholarship and I'm flying out to visit this weekend. Touring campus and meeting with career services Friday. Figured I'd also get a sense of what's around campus. Does anyone have a recommendation near campus for:

1. A cheap bar? I don't care if it's divey, but out here I'm used to paying $2-3 for a pint of PBR/Bud/other crappy beer, and I've heard horror stories about DC drink prices.
2. A bar that's big on soccer? I'm a huge RSL fan (hence the avatar) and I'm hoping there's somewhere not too far that I could hang out and watch the games on TV.

If both were the same place, that'd be ideal, but that may be asking a lot.

knope2012

Postby knope2012 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:06 pm

The cheap bars by campus are Billy Goat and Kelly's. Both are only like 2 blocks from campus. Don't expect anything fancy, but you can definitely get cheap beer there. Expect there to be a lot of events at these bars throughout the year.

The only bar that I know of that definitely shows soccer is Lucky Bar in Dupont (just a few stops down the red line from campus). According to this random WaPo article, they show MLS games. Other bars mentioned in the article that are walking distance from campus are Fado and Irish Channel, but those probably focus on Premier League games. http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/best- ... 97954.html

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Awesome, thanks!

buttes

Postby buttes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:51 am

I think there's also a big spreadsheet floating around somewhere that details essentially every happy hour and regular special in the city. I remember it being posted to facebook in one of the 2015 groups early in the school year, but I can't check b/c I'm at work. Regular prices at bars can definitly suck, but it's not difficult to float around the city on $2 Yuenglings.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:31 am

buttes wrote:I think there's also a big spreadsheet floating around somewhere that details essentially every happy hour and regular special in the city. I remember it being posted to facebook in one of the 2015 groups early in the school year, but I can't check b/c I'm at work. Regular prices at bars can definitly suck, but it's not difficult to float around the city on $2 Yuenglings.

Ohhh Yuenglings :P The memories I have from various trips down the states with that beer.
luxxe wrote:Just signed a lease in Columbia Heights!! Moving August 4 :mrgreen:. If anyone is up there that early/wants to hang out, we should!! Excited to geek out over living in DC with other new people.

Congrats!!!

I'll be up there on August 16th, so definitely down to hang. That said, I live in NOMA, which is a bit far away. Happy moving!!

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:36 am

nickb285 wrote:Hey folks! So I'm late to the party, and not 100% sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on GULC yet, but I got in off the waitlist with a scholarship and I'm flying out to visit this weekend. Touring campus and meeting with career services Friday. Figured I'd also get a sense of what's around campus. Does anyone have a recommendation near campus for:

1. A cheap bar? I don't care if it's divey, but out here I'm used to paying $2-3 for a pint of PBR/Bud/other crappy beer, and I've heard horror stories about DC drink prices.
2. A bar that's big on soccer? I'm a huge RSL fan (hence the avatar) and I'm hoping there's somewhere not too far that I could hang out and watch the games on TV.

If both were the same place, that'd be ideal, but that may be asking a lot.

Welcome mate! I'm a Whitecaps fan myself - at least we can cheer against DC United!

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Bfalcon wrote:Welcome mate! I'm a Whitecaps fan myself - at least we can cheer against DC United!

Good call, and if you're willing to despise the Rapids, I'll hate on Seattle and Portland (though I must admit to liking most of the Portland fans I've ever met, despite their hipster tendencies).

Oh, and it's official--I'll be joining all of you next month. WOOOO FINDING A PLACE TO LIVE AND MOVING ACROSS THE COUNTRY WITH A MONTH'S NOTICE WOOO

gerrod11

Postby gerrod11 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Does anyone staying on campus know when we might receive our roommates information?

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:27 pm

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:54 pm

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:59 pm

luxxe wrote:528 Really Cheap Happy Hours in DC.

You're welcome.

And lo, the heavens did open, and a great light came forth into the world.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:34 pm

nickb285 wrote:

You're welcome.

With 3-4 happy hours per week, I can finish this list by the time I graduate. GAME ON.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:23 am

luxxe wrote:
nickb285 wrote:

You're welcome.

With 3-4 happy hours per week, I can finish this list by the time I graduate. GAME ON.

Hot diggity 8) Luxxe, this actually sounds like a challenge...and I'm always raring for a challenge 8)

Ladies and Gentlemen, on another note....I am currently watching the new episode of Suits!!! Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suits watching parties have got to happen in DC!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”