Georgetown 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
Bfalcon
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby Bfalcon » Thu May 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Hahahahahaha! Oh wowzers I hope Gtown will be like Greendale. We should totally do mass paintball on campus during orientation. Also, wanna build a blanket fort with me?

The real question though is.... Donda esta la biblioteca?

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby luxxe » Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Bfalcon wrote:Hahahahahaha! Oh wowzers I hope Gtown will be like Greendale. We should totally do mass paintball on campus during orientation. Also, wanna build a blanket fort with me?

The real question though is.... Donda esta la biblioteca?


Sorry... I am not willing to sacrifice quality for square footage, but if you want to spend our first DC weekend building a pillowfort I'm down ;).

I'm a total Britta, I just need to find the rest of the study group and GULC can be GCC.

987654321
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby 987654321 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:46 am

Printers/ Scanners are available in both the libraries. I would recommend that you bring one just in case ... I found it helpful to have one, especially if you want to print something quickly / late nights.


xjustyoursmile wrote:
abadname13 wrote:Former Gewirz residents: Do I want to bring my printer/scanner or will there be some accessible ones nearby?

Also: have we figured out how to say Gewirz?


Geh-werz? Gu-werz? Gew-erz? Gee-werz?

...

How 'bout... Gee-wiz, mister!

User avatar
Bfalcon
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby Bfalcon » Fri May 24, 2013 12:09 pm

luxxe wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:Hahahahahaha! Oh wowzers I hope Gtown will be like Greendale. We should totally do mass paintball on campus during orientation. Also, wanna build a blanket fort with me?

The real question though is.... Donda esta la biblioteca?


Sorry... I am not willing to sacrifice quality for square footage, but if you want to spend our first DC weekend building a pillowfort I'm down ;).

I'm a total Britta, I just need to find the rest of the study group and GULC can be GCC.


Hahahaha, pillowfort it is! We need to make sure that we have an initiate self-destruct mechanism in place. I wish I could say I'm cool enough to be Abed, but I'm prolly more like Jeff. Although sometimes, I don't seem to know what is going on around me...so does that make me like...Pierce?? *shudders*.

That's it dude, we have got to find the GULC study group!!

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby luxxe » Fri May 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Bfalcon wrote:
luxxe wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:Hahahahahaha! Oh wowzers I hope Gtown will be like Greendale. We should totally do mass paintball on campus during orientation. Also, wanna build a blanket fort with me?

The real question though is.... Donda esta la biblioteca?


Sorry... I am not willing to sacrifice quality for square footage, but if you want to spend our first DC weekend building a pillowfort I'm down ;).

I'm a total Britta, I just need to find the rest of the study group and GULC can be GCC.


Hahahaha, pillowfort it is! We need to make sure that we have an initiate self-destruct mechanism in place. I wish I could say I'm cool enough to be Abed, but I'm prolly more like Jeff. Although sometimes, I don't seem to know what is going on around me...so does that make me like...Pierce?? *shudders*.

That's it dude, we have got to find the GULC study group!!


Pierce & Britta started it all anyway ;). Can we watch movies just to make fun of them, too?

User avatar
jessicayaaay
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby jessicayaaay » Sat May 25, 2013 11:57 pm

To all the Perkins loan applicants:

How long did you have to wait since submitting your app before you were allowed to sign it?

I submitted mine over 2 weeks ago and still haven't received the confirmation email.

SGrant723
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 am

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby SGrant723 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:52 am

Hey Everyone! Just checking in. Just sent in my second deposit and am looking forward to starting this fall.

I was wondering if anyone else was coming from the Chicago area? I'd love to do some sort of get together prior to heading out to D.C.

Also, has anyone happened upon some statistics for job placement / salary for curriculum b? I'm curious if there is any difference at all.

User avatar
abadname13
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby abadname13 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:07 pm

jessicayaaay wrote:To all the Perkins loan applicants:

How long did you have to wait since submitting your app before you were allowed to sign it?

I submitted mine over 2 weeks ago and still haven't received the confirmation email.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're talking about, but I could not access my Perkins MPN even though I could do the others. I emailed finaid and they said it would be available in June and added something along the lines of "you're way on top of things, enjoy your summer!"

987654321 wrote:Printers/ Scanners are available in both the libraries. I would recommend that you bring one just in case ... I found it helpful to have one, especially if you want to print something quickly / late nights.

Bfalcon wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:... How 'bout... Gee-wiz, mister!


Hahahaha, from my tour I believe everyone was pronouncing it gee-wurtz.

Thanks!

User avatar
Bfalcon
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby Bfalcon » Mon May 27, 2013 10:17 am

luxxe wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:
luxxe wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:Hahahahahaha! Oh wowzers I hope Gtown will be like Greendale. We should totally do mass paintball on campus during orientation. Also, wanna build a blanket fort with me?

The real question though is.... Donda esta la biblioteca?


Sorry... I am not willing to sacrifice quality for square footage, but if you want to spend our first DC weekend building a pillowfort I'm down ;).

I'm a total Britta, I just need to find the rest of the study group and GULC can be GCC.


Hahahaha, pillowfort it is! We need to make sure that we have an initiate self-destruct mechanism in place. I wish I could say I'm cool enough to be Abed, but I'm prolly more like Jeff. Although sometimes, I don't seem to know what is going on around me...so does that make me like...Pierce?? *shudders*.

That's it dude, we have got to find the GULC study group!!


Pierce & Britta started it all anyway ;). Can we watch movies just to make fun of them, too?


True story, that. We can definitely watch movies - as long as we can watch the Kickpuncher movies? I really want to see Kickpuncher III: The Final Kickening!

91 days till we arrive at Greendale , I mean Georgetown!!

User avatar
Bfalcon
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby Bfalcon » Mon May 27, 2013 10:22 am

SGrant723 wrote:Hey Everyone! Just checking in. Just sent in my second deposit and am looking forward to starting this fall.

I was wondering if anyone else was coming from the Chicago area? I'd love to do some sort of get together prior to heading out to D.C.

Also, has anyone happened upon some statistics for job placement / salary for curriculum b? I'm curious if there is any difference at all.


Hey there! Bienvenue!

I haven't happened upon statistics per se, but everyone tells me the difference is completely negligible.

SGrant723
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 am

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby SGrant723 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:39 am

Bfalcon, thanks for the response!

That's great to hear. I had a political science / philosophy background and the idea of Curriculum B really interests me - however I am going to law school to study law, so I was worried that I may be putting myself at a disadvantage if I pursue curriculum B.

For those of us who are not as interested in public interest, have you guys heard whether or not there is a preferred track? I'm hearing many people who want to go public interest end up in curriculum B, but I'm wondering if it has any effect on anything or just seems to be the way things break down.

Hope you all are having a great memorial day!

User avatar
Bfalcon
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby Bfalcon » Mon May 27, 2013 1:52 pm

SGrant723 wrote:Bfalcon, thanks for the response!

That's great to hear. I had a political science / philosophy background and the idea of Curriculum B really interests me - however I am going to law school to study law, so I was worried that I may be putting myself at a disadvantage if I pursue curriculum B.

For those of us who are not as interested in public interest, have you guys heard whether or not there is a preferred track? I'm hearing many people who want to go public interest end up in curriculum B, but I'm wondering if it has any effect on anything or just seems to be the way things break down.

Hope you all are having a great memorial day!


I've actually spoken with several recent Georgetown grads at some of the big-law firms in DC and NY, as well as a Georgetown partner at a prominent mid-sized firm and several lawyers at various firms and career paths here in Canada. What I tend to get from nearly everyone is: while Cur. B is view pretty much the same as Cur. A, it's all about focus. If you're not into PI, I honestly wouldn't choose it. You get that extra elective (I'm doing Int'l Law 1) that you can use to get into some more complex practical courses. The biggest feedback I've gotten is this: if you don't want to go into academics, the way to get ahead in the job market is to take practical courses. People want to see law students graduate with actual experience and be able to get into the job realm. The more hands-on stuff you get, the better. While this applies more to 2 and 3rd year course work, taking a philosophical/academic minded 1L curriculum, based on crit legal theory (which pretty much turfed after the 90s), wil be engaging to your mind, but less practical than taking the standard curriculum that all the other top law schools teach. Cur. B won't make you look any more special or elite than taking Cur. A. The only plus, which could be a downside, is explaining what it is to those unfamiliar in a job interview. That's a waste of time, IMO as a former executive recruiter, as you could spend that time making a point for why you're an excellent candidate, or asking direct and engaging questions about the job environment you're interviewing for.

That's my 2 cents, for what its worth.

edited to say: no offense whatsoever to anyone who has taken cur B and loved it. I'm a 0L with little law experience, just some other real-world work experience. I think Cur. B is slightly more work than Cur. A, and in this world where you need to get the high grades to get the jobs, I'd rather put that extra time into boosting up my marks a bit.

SGrant723
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 am

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby SGrant723 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:38 pm

BFalcon,

You make a very compelling argument. I think from my position, I could see Curriculum B as maybe being beneficial for my grades. While I may have to work a bit harder or do some more reading, I feel like it could be something I would enjoy and perhaps excel.

I am not totally sure I won't pursue PI right now. However, I'm definitely leaning away from it. I'm trusting that Georgetown's program will help me determine which path is best for me.

I am concerned about how employers would view it and whether they would consider it a detraction. I also think you make a great argument about it detracting from what you may really want to talk about during an interview.

You've given me a lot of interesting points to consider. I appreciate all of your input.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby justonemoregame » Wed May 29, 2013 10:37 am

How does EIW work for the PT crowd? Are they given a class rank with everyone else?

User avatar
Bfalcon
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby Bfalcon » Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 am

justonemoregame wrote:How does EIW work for the PT crowd? Are they given a class rank with everyone else?

EIW? Early Interview Week? Is that the OCI? My understanding is they do it after their 2nd year of study.

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby fallingup » Thu May 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Can someone link to the Facebook group? Can't find it. Thanks!

CourCour
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby CourCour » Thu May 30, 2013 3:39 pm

fallingup wrote:Can someone link to the Facebook group? Can't find it. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Gtownlaw2016/?fref=ts

User avatar
Bfalcon
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby Bfalcon » Fri May 31, 2013 12:57 pm

Just reminding you folks that waivers or 2nd deposit are due on Monday! A whole lot of people will have what is more or less their final decision made on Georgetown by then. How is everyone's apartment/roomate hunting coming along?

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby justonemoregame » Fri May 31, 2013 12:59 pm

I feel like I should probably get on that apt. thing - probably going to fly in to DC for a weekend either end of june / mid july

hoyac13
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:34 am

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby hoyac13 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 am

Recently graduated Hoya here (C'13) starting GULC this fall.

I stumbled upon this forum after having second thoughts about having signed up for the §3 lottery. Every single person I've met who was in §3—and I've met a handful now—loves it. They don't merely like it; they love it. I am leaning toward PI, and the thought of being part of a close-knit section is appealing. However, I don't like the idea, if it's accurate, of merely discussing people's opinions about a law's or policy's merits (I saw something said along those lines either in this thread or the c/o 2015 thread).

I don't want to have those sorts of discussions for discussion's sake. I have heard that the approach taken in §3 courses does help with 2L and 3L courses, but considering what someone said above, how practical do §3 courses get?

With only a couple days left I do not think I'll try to withdraw my name from the §3 lottery lest I kick myself in the rear out of regret for the rest of my life. I think I just need to let the deadline pass and, assuming I'm given a spot in §3, enjoy it for what it is. (Part of me sort of wants to be a part of the traditional, Paper Chase-like course and try to kick ass in it, but §3 seems to offer something extraordinary considering my interests.)

CourCour
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby CourCour » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 am

justonemoregame wrote:Current students, vastly important question: is massage therapy available at the fitness center or through health services?


I finally found the brochure that had the info @ this. There pamphlet "Guide to the Law Center Campus" says there are massage rooms on the 1st floor of the student center.

accentuator
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby accentuator » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi guys!
Is anyone interested in looking for a two-bedroom or something along those lines near GULC? I am a guy in my late twenties and pretty easy to live with, but not especially clean (not that I am messy, but I know standards vary on this).

gpallet01
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby gpallet01 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Anyone know anything about Carmel Plaza? It's about a 10 minute walk from GULC and prices seem very reasonable. I've heard it can sometimes get a little sketchy late at night but for the most part, it's not too bad.

User avatar
Bfalcon
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby Bfalcon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:52 am

hoyac13 wrote:Recently graduated Hoya here (C'13) starting GULC this fall.

I stumbled upon this forum after having second thoughts about having signed up for the §3 lottery. Every single person I've met who was in §3—and I've met a handful now—loves it. They don't merely like it; they love it. I am leaning toward PI, and the thought of being part of a close-knit section is appealing. However, I don't like the idea, if it's accurate, of merely discussing people's opinions about a law's or policy's merits (I saw something said along those lines either in this thread or the c/o 2015 thread).

I don't want to have those sorts of discussions for discussion's sake. I have heard that the approach taken in §3 courses does help with 2L and 3L courses, but considering what someone said above, how practical do §3 courses get?

With only a couple days left I do not think I'll try to withdraw my name from the §3 lottery lest I kick myself in the rear out of regret for the rest of my life. I think I just need to let the deadline pass and, assuming I'm given a spot in §3, enjoy it for what it is. (Part of me sort of wants to be a part of the traditional, Paper Chase-like course and try to kick ass in it, but §3 seems to offer something extraordinary considering my interests.)


Hey mate, I'm starting to get used to the term Hoya finally. Keep on meeting people in Canada who are like "Georgetown? Those are the Hoyas right?? Good basketball team."

Anyhow, I don't think you can go wrong with S3. Personally I highly doubt that S3 or not S3 will make anywhere near the difference that would have you in regret for the rest of law school, let alone rest of your life. Bit of a champagne decision as it were. I haven't heard that the S3 approach helps with courses in 2L or 3L, but I really feel that it's more a matter of learning style et al. The people I've spoken to who are recent Georgetown grads and associate at vault ranked top 5 firms in DC all seem to think that the courses are not as practical as the traditional section courses, but my thoughts on it are already written above. No point in repeating the,. Good luck with it all and I'll see you in August!

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby justonemoregame » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:49 am

Do we have Lawmail yet?




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest