Georgetown 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Bfalcon

Re: Georgetown 2016

Postby Bfalcon » Wed May 15, 2013 12:18 pm

My understanding is that it won't effect you job-wise whatsoever. If anything, most employers will have a greater ease in understanding those who chose Cur. A, as that is the same curriculum as virtually any other law student from other schools. I think you're over-thinking a bit, and you'll be just fine with Curriculum A.

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Wed May 15, 2013 1:12 pm

How would employers even know what curriculum you took? When they look at your transcript? If anything, I think the opposite is true. That employers would be skeptical of an alternative curriculum. I chose A because I also didn't have strong feeling and didn't want to take the spot away.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Wed May 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Rory19 wrote:I submitted my curriculum selection survey and chose "A". I did not have strong preferences towards "B" and didn't want to take a spot from someone who would really enjoy it (and probably do more of the reading, I tend to skim when readings get too philosophical). My only concern is that there may be some sort of stigma about taking the easier route and opting for "A". Has anyone heard anything like this--e.g. for write on if one of two otherwise equal candidates is curriculum "B", will the "B" have an edge as a harder worker or something to that effect?

I'm probably over thinking this...

You are. That's not how write-on works. Also, one is not harder or easier. They're just different. Smart and not so smart people in both curricula, people with great jobs and no jobs in both, people on law review and people not on journal in both.

clarion

Postby clarion » Wed May 15, 2013 5:26 pm

sambeber wrote:
Rory19 wrote:I submitted my curriculum selection survey and chose "A". I did not have strong preferences towards "B" and didn't want to take a spot from someone who would really enjoy it (and probably do more of the reading, I tend to skim when readings get too philosophical). My only concern is that there may be some sort of stigma about taking the easier route and opting for "A". Has anyone heard anything like this--e.g. for write on if one of two otherwise equal candidates is curriculum "B", will the "B" have an edge as a harder worker or something to that effect?

You are. That's not how write-on works. Also, one is not harder or easier. They're just different. Smart and not so smart people in both curricula, people with great jobs and no jobs in both, people on law review and people not on journal in both.

^What this person said. Curriculum 'B' is good for nothing except that they all tend to be a more similar type of person, whereas in the other sections the people are more varied. At least that's been my experience (from the perspective of a Curriculum 'A' person looking in). Btw, by "more similar type of person" I'm referring to the fact that they tend to be more... opinionated (let's use that word) than the average law student.

Also for write-on, they don't even know what section you're in when they grade it. And insofar as job potential goes, I don't know statistically, but the VASTTTTT majority of Curriculum 'B' people I know are interested in doing public interest. So are they more or less competitive for firm jobs? No idea. Probably makes no difference seeing as how GPA and rank is all most employers (private or public) will ever see.

At the end of the day though, since law school doesn't really teach you much in the matter of substance, the fact that your first-year Property class is called something different (I forget what they call it) shouldn't really matter. They still take the same classes as everyone else more or less, they just all have different names and somewhat different emphases. To reiterate, I think the main difference is one of personalities rather than of anything else.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:58 pm

clarion wrote:
sambeber wrote:

^What this person said. Curriculum 'B' is good for nothing except that they all tend to be a more similar type of person, whereas in the other sections the people are more varied. At least that's been my experience (from the perspective of a Curriculum 'A' person looking in). Btw, by "more similar type of person" I'm referring to the fact that they tend to be more... opinionated (let's use that word) than the average law student.

Also for write-on, they don't even know what section you're in when they grade it. And insofar as job potential goes, I don't know statistically, but the VASTTTTT majority of Curriculum 'B' people I know are interested in doing public interest. So are they more or less competitive for firm jobs? No idea. Probably makes no difference seeing as how GPA and rank is all most employers (private or public) will ever see.

At the end of the day though, since law school doesn't really teach you much in the matter of substance, the fact that your first-year Property class is called something different (I forget what they call it) shouldn't really matter. They still take the same classes as everyone else more or less, they just all have different names and somewhat different emphases. To reiterate, I think the main difference is one of personalities rather than of anything else.

Thank you everyone! The statement above is exactly what I was thinking/fearing about Curriculum B. I have been in those types of dynamics and they are definitely not my favorite. I am glad to hear I made the right decision for my preferred classroom dynamic and that there is no stigma, positive or negative, towards choosing either curricula.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed May 15, 2013 8:30 pm

where is the most awesomest place to have a beer near the school

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Wed May 15, 2013 10:03 pm

justonemoregame wrote:where is the most awesomest place to have a beer near the school

The commonest/closest places are the Billy Goat and Kelly's. Better to head in to Chinatown if you have time, in my opinion. In terms of awesomest, I'll let you make up your own mind.

Postby 987654321 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:34 pm

Rory19 wrote:
clarion wrote:
sambeber wrote:

Thank you everyone! The statement above is exactly what I was thinking/fearing about Curriculum B. I have been in those types of dynamics and they are definitely not my favorite. I am glad to hear I made the right decision for my preferred classroom dynamic and that there is no stigma, positive or negative, towards choosing either curricula.

I did not do Curriculum B. I have to disagree with the other poster. I have several friends who did Curriculum B, and no, they are not any more or any less opinionated than the average law student. They do not think alike. You will have a diverse class with a variety of interests. I would not gauge personalities by looking at what courses people choose. Pick Curriculum B if interests you. From what I gather, it is slightly more reading. You will have the same opportunities as your peers.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 am

Anyone here a Capitals fan? Just curious how much tickets at the Verizon Center are for the average game.

xjustyoursmile

Postby xjustyoursmile » Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 pm

The Housing Lottery is complete you guys!

gpallet01

Postby gpallet01 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:13 pm

So.. how bad would it be to live in Alexandria or Falls Church or another part of NoVa while being a 1L?

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Tue May 21, 2013 3:56 pm

xjustyoursmile wrote:The Housing Lottery is complete you guys!

Did you find out your assignment? If so, how?

Manhattanman

Postby Manhattanman » Tue May 21, 2013 4:28 pm

My email says first week of June.

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Tue May 21, 2013 5:39 pm

CourCour wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:The Housing Lottery is complete you guys!

Did you find out your assignment? If so, how?

NM, I got email. Says next 2 to 3 weeks.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Tue May 21, 2013 10:54 pm

gpallet01 wrote:So.. how bad would it be to live in Alexandria or Falls Church or another part of NoVa while being a 1L?

Eh, I thought about it, but don't plan on doing it. Unless you really need to save money, or really hate the city (in which case, why Gtown?), then I'd fork out and get closer. Do you plan on driving every day?

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Wed May 22, 2013 6:28 am

Bfalcon wrote:
gpallet01 wrote:So.. how bad would it be to live in Alexandria or Falls Church or another part of NoVa while being a 1L?

Eh, I thought about it, but don't plan on doing it. Unless you really need to save money, or really hate the city (in which case, why Gtown?), then I'd fork out and get closer. Do you plan on driving every day?

I feel like it adds stress via commute time. Also, it makes the campus resources harder to access and makes you less likely to engage with your classmates. That was my thinking at least.

abadname13

Postby abadname13 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Former Gewirz residents: Do I want to bring my printer/scanner or will there be some accessible ones nearby?

Also: have we figured out how to say Gewirz?

xjustyoursmile

Postby xjustyoursmile » Thu May 23, 2013 5:17 pm

abadname13 wrote:Former Gewirz residents: Do I want to bring my printer/scanner or will there be some accessible ones nearby?

Also: have we figured out how to say Gewirz?

Geh-werz? Gu-werz? Gew-erz? Gee-werz?

How 'bout... Gee-wiz, mister!

gpallet01

Postby gpallet01 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 pm

CourCour wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:

I feel like it adds stress via commute time. Also, it makes the campus resources harder to access and makes you less likely to engage with your classmates. That was my thinking at least.

Yeah, I'm trying to spend as little as possible but I think commuting from NoVa or MD would come out to around the same when you figure in transportation (bus or metro). Wish they'd update the FB group so I could start trying to figure roommates and stuff. I'll probably end up being in DC rather than VA or MD>

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Thu May 23, 2013 7:49 pm

xjustyoursmile wrote:...

How 'bout... Gee-wiz, mister!

Hahahaha, from my tour I believe everyone was pronouncing it gee-wurtz.
gpallet01 wrote:
Yeah, I'm trying to spend as little as possible but I think commuting from NoVa or MD would come out to around the same when you figure in transportation (bus or metro). Wish they'd update the FB group so I could start trying to figure roommates and stuff. I'll probably end up being in DC rather than VA or MD>

I'm facebookless, so that puts me a bit SOL. The big thing is parking as a virginia resident in DC is absolutely balls. Tickets galore and it's very expensive. I'm told by multiple people now that if you want a parking spot, you want to be there by 8:30 am. Either way it's expensive to drive in. And the metro closes pretty early. I'm looking for a place near to the school so I can walk to class.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 pm

What's the locker situation look like? Where are they? How much room do they have? Don't tell me there are bottom and top lockers because I don't want some gunner scuffing my doo.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 pm

justonemoregame wrote:What's the locker situation look like? Where are they? How much room do they have? Don't tell me there are bottom and top lockers because I don't want some gunner scuffing my doo.

+1

You can share a locker with me :wink: I promise I won't mess with anything :roll:

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Bfalcon wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:What's the locker situation look like? Where are they? How much room do they have? Don't tell me there are bottom and top lockers because I don't want some gunner scuffing my doo.

+1

You can share a locker with me :wink: I promise I won't mess with anything :roll:

Can I put up my poster of Kelly Kapowski?

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Thu May 23, 2013 10:07 pm

In a word. Hell yes. (I got into law school coz I can count) :P
She's gorgeous

As long as I can put up this poster...

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Thu May 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Bfalcon wrote:In a word. Hell yes. (I got into law school coz I can count) :P
She's gorgeous

As long as I can put up this poster...