Georgetown 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Bfalcon

Bronze

Re: Georgetown 2016

Post by Bfalcon » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Rory19 wrote:Hi Everyone! I just sent in my Scholarship Intent to Enroll Form and am now happily planning my cross-country move.

I cannot fly out and look at housing ahead of time so I wondered if anyone has had an opportunity to tour or stay in Gewirz? The photos are very dorm like and when the semester living costs are divided by month it becomes very on par with apartments within 10 minutes walking distance that appear to be much higher quality. Does anyone have any perspectives on whether Gewirz if worth it? The only upside I can imagine is the utilities cost, proximity to other law school students, and convenient billing through the student account.
The only upside I've seen is proximity to the law school, security in your landlord (GULC), and ability to interact with the law student community. That said, a ten minute walk is a ten minute walk - definitely should be doable for anyone unless you have a physical handicap (and if you're worried about getting to class on time, then maybe law school isn't the best place haha). Furthermore, the school really seems to be a great community, and I had no problem talking to people whatsoever. This afternoon I was having lunch at a restaurant near Dupont Circle with my family and heard a group of about 10 student-age folks talking about law. I walked over and asked if they were law students, and they all said they were from Georgetown. When they heard I was an admitted student, they were all extremely friendly. That seems to be the norm, rather than the exception.

Using padmapper.com, I've seen WAY nicer apartments for cheaper prices. Only a handful of apartments at Gewirz are single rooms, so you'll likely be with 1 or 2 other roomates. My feeling is to live off-campus, but the people who live there seem happy enough.

ps, looking forward to meeting you in September :)

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks bfalcon! I am fairly certain I am not going to live in Gewirz.

I did speak to the financial aid office today with random questions and thought I would share them here if anyone else was wondering similar things:
-If you have an outside private scholarship you will need to disclose it on the Blue Form (coming soon). They will also not write to request those private dollars until after the first day of classes
-There are no resources for relocation expenses and they are not applicable to a budget increase
-With the budget increase document, that also cannot be submitted until after the semester begins
-Also related to the budget increase, medical expenses only cover expenses during the academic year, not bills that may still be outstanding at the time of enrollment
-If you were awarded a Georgetown University Law Scholarship (a combination of need and merit criteria), you will still need to each year resubmit the FAFSA so you are eligible for Stafford loans and submit both your and your parents' taxes but not the need access

*By the way, when I refer to budget increase I am referencing the fact that you can only take out as many loans/aid as your cost of attendance which is determined by a budget. You may apply for a budget increase for a variety of circumstances: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... /Index.cfm with the Budget Adjustment Request Form*

account1

New

Post by account1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:07 pm

FYI's regarding Fin Aid (Based off my Call)

- Send scholarship checks to Fin Aid Office
-If you request work study, you will get it/ you can't be denied it. For incoming students, max is about 3500
- your scholarship offer is guranteed even if you recieve outside scholarships/dont exceed the budget. Your combo of merit/need will just be adjusted. Ex: Offered 10,000 merit/10,000 need. Recieve 5,000 scholarship = 15,000 merit/5000 need + 5000 scholarship. This is still confusing to me though...

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm

account1 wrote:FYI's regarding Fin Aid (Based off my Call)

- Send scholarship checks to Fin Aid Office
-If you request work study, you will get it/ you can't be denied it. For incoming students, max is about 3500
- your scholarship offer is guranteed even if you recieve outside scholarships/dont exceed the budget. Your combo of merit/need will just be adjusted. Ex: Offered 10,000 merit/10,000 need. Recieve 5,000 scholarship = 15,000 merit/5000 need + 5000 scholarship. This is still confusing to me though...
Did they say that if you are awarded work study that the work study award would be subtracted from your aid package as well? I only ask because a work study award can make you eligible for food stamps...

account1

New

Post by account1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:41 pm

The lady told me/I read under Understanding Your Award link in the email about your Fin Aid Package that it will replace your loans in the exact amount...Grad Plus

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks! I think after everything I've read about working during 1L year I would rather take the loan.

account1

New

Post by account1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:13 pm

To those who got scholarship increases, was this before or after you accepted ur original scholarship? Has anyone gotten a scholarship increase after submitting their intent to enroll form? Thanks in advance.

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:52 pm

account1 wrote:To those who got scholarship increases, was this before or after you accepted ur original scholarship? Has anyone gotten a scholarship increase after submitting their intent to enroll form? Thanks in advance.
I think there was a post relevant to this question in the "Georgetown c/o 2016 Applicants" thread.

boredtodeath

Silver

Post by boredtodeath » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi all -

Just wanted to poke my head in here and say hi. I haven't posted on TLS in a while but I'm an ED accepted student who's been waiting for some movement in this thread for a while.

I saw some posts about Gewirz above - has anybody been on a tour of the building? I've walked through the campus but didn't get a chance to go in Gewirz. I was probably planning on living there since its literally on top of all the buildings you'll be going to. Is living off-campus really a better option, especially for someone who doesn't have roommates lined up?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:33 pm

for anyone who's been admitted in the past 2 weeks or so- how long after you completed your yellow form did scholarship/financial aid info come, assuming fafsa and needaccess are both already complete? I was just wondering if there's a timeline/pattern of when offers normally come. I may be SOL anyways, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

jessicayaaay

New

Post by jessicayaaay » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi everyone,

Can somebody explain to the healthcare requirement? Am I understanding correctly that having healthcare coverage is mandatory for enrollement? Also, that the Premier Plan does not satisfy Obamacare's individual mandate?

Here are the links to what I read:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:44 pm

checking out just withdrew. enjoy DC guys and stay in touch

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:27 am

jessicayaaay wrote:Hi everyone,

Can somebody explain to the healthcare requirement? Am I understanding correctly that having healthcare coverage is mandatory for enrollement? Also, that the Premier Plan does not satisfy Obamacare's individual mandate?

Here are the links to what I read:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks.
I am not sure about all this but I am confident that we either have to enroll in the premier plan or demonstrate proof of insurance once the waiver form is available before we can officially enroll.

I plan to use my current insurance and then once Obamacare kicks in come January, transfer to Medicaid coverage.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:37 am

Re: the health plan. I haven't looked into this myself but a friend who graduated from GULC a few years ago warned me not to get the student health plan bc it doesn't cover birth control bc of the school's religious affiliation. She hadn't noticed that but apparently when she called to enroll the woman she spoke with warned her!

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:37 pm

risa wrote:Re: the health plan. I haven't looked into this myself but a friend who graduated from GULC a few years ago warned me not to get the student health plan bc it doesn't cover birth control bc of the school's religious affiliation. She hadn't noticed that but apparently when she called to enroll the woman she spoke with warned her!
Yeah, this is what the 3L student at the time named Sandra Fluke objected to, prompting Rush Limbaugh to call her a "slut" and say she was asking other people to pay for her to have sex--i.e., that she was a "prostitute."

--LinkRemoved--

I was ashamed to be a Missourian the day they placed a bronze bust of Limbaugh's ugly-ass mug in the Hall of Famous Missourians. (Yes, this happened recently.)

djlmjs22

New

Post by djlmjs22 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 am

Deleted
Last edited by djlmjs22 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarah2013

New

Post by sarah2013 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi everyone!

Checking in, just sent off my Intent to Enroll form :)

Re: Can anyone recommend any affordable alternative health care plans other than the one offered by GTown?
(Sorry, I'm an international student so I'm pretty new to the health care system in the US ...)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

account1

New

Post by account1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Hey all, know this is a bit early. I scanned all of the journals,orgs,and clinics to form a game plan for entering ls. For the Public Interest Fellows Program, u have to apply over the summer before classes start. I read a flyer abt it, bt just dont understand the benefits of doing the program vs simply doing all of the public interest things at GT w/o being apart of the program. Feedback welcome/link provided below. THanks.
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/o ... rogram.cfm

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 pm

account1 wrote:Hey all, know this is a bit early. I scanned all of the journals,orgs,and clinics to form a game plan for entering ls. For the Public Interest Fellows Program, u have to apply over the summer before classes start. I read a flyer abt it, bt just dont understand the benefits of doing the program vs simply doing all of the public interest things at GT w/o being apart of the program. Feedback welcome/link provided below. THanks.

Wowzers....come back when you can write a coherent post? If you're gonna be a gunner, at least be half decent at it! I sincerely hope you're not intending to actually go to law school

Troll. *rolls eyes*

love_the_process

New

Post by love_the_process » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Hey everyone! Thought I would introduce myself - new to TLS and 95% sure I'll be starting GULC in the fall. Does anyone else live in the DC area? It might be nice to meet up for happy hour and get to know some of you.

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Bfalcon wrote:
account1 wrote:Hey all, know this is a bit early. I scanned all of the journals,orgs,and clinics to form a game plan for entering ls. For the Public Interest Fellows Program, u have to apply over the summer before classes start. I read a flyer abt it, bt just dont understand the benefits of doing the program vs simply doing all of the public interest things at GT w/o being apart of the program. Feedback welcome/link provided below. THanks.

Wowzers....come back when you can write a coherent post? If you're gonna be a gunner, at least be half decent at it! I sincerely hope you're not intending to actually go to law school

Troll. *rolls eyes*
Christ, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? I don't think this person was trolling, simply asking what the virtue of doing the Public Interest Fellows program is. Why the hell are TLS users so fucking hostile?

account1: I think it's just a way for public interest-minded students to do things together, stay connected with the OPICS office, and add some level of distinction to a resume/transcript to denote one's interest in pursuing a PI career. I'm not entirely sure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

account1

New

Post by account1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:28 pm

danielr wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:

Troll. *rolls eyes*
Christ, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? I don't think this person was trolling, simply asking what the virtue of doing the Public Interest Fellows program is. Why the hell are TLS users so fucking hostile?

account1: I think it's just a way for public interest-minded students to do things together, stay connected with the OPICS office, and add some level of distinction to a resume/transcript to denote one's interest in pursuing a PI career. I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks alot.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 pm

danielr wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:

Troll. *rolls eyes*

GULC threads seem to bring out the worst in people. :roll:

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:04 pm

love_the_process wrote:Hey everyone! Thought I would introduce myself - new to TLS and 95% sure I'll be starting GULC in the fall. Does anyone else live in the DC area? It might be nice to meet up for happy hour and get to know some of you.
Hiya there! Welcome!

Afraid I won't be moving to DC until early August - though I think I may have found a place today *fingers crossed!

As for the dealio with account1 - just haven't been impressed with the posts from this user (as well as double-posts). That's all I'll say on this matter.

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 pm

boredtodeath wrote:Hi all -

Just wanted to poke my head in here and say hi. I haven't posted on TLS in a while but I'm an ED accepted student who's been waiting for some movement in this thread for a while.

I saw some posts about Gewirz above - has anybody been on a tour of the building? I've walked through the campus but didn't get a chance to go in Gewirz. I was probably planning on living there since its literally on top of all the buildings you'll be going to. Is living off-campus really a better option, especially for someone who doesn't have roommates lined up?
Hey noticed no one responded to this, and I'm bored of studying for finals so I figured I'd respond :) I'm currently a 1L living in a large renovated 2 bedroom (1 bathroom), and it's great. Seriously great. I mean, you're right on campus (which is great for those 9 AM 1L classes), the renovated rooms are REALLY nice and spacious, wood floors in the living room, nice kitchen, etc. A friend lives in a renovated efficiency which is also very nice. And another friend lives in an unrenovated 2 bedroom, which isn't nearly as nice as the renovated ones, but still is more than workable.

I mean, if you take the cost of living, and spread it over the calendar year rather than the academic year, my "rent" would come out to about 1200 a month which is not bad at all for D.C. Especially considering the area. So I'm all about it. If any of you have any other questions, feel free to message me; though finals start next week so there's no guarantee I'd get to it as soon as you may like me to.

As for the Public Interest Fellow thing, I don't know anybody who is one... Not to say there AREN'T any (it's a gigantic law school after all), I just don't know any so I can't offer anything on it per se. That said, from what I just read at the link you posted, it doesn't sound all too special beyond having another thing to write on your resume I guess? Most of that other stuff seems like benefits you can get just from meeting with an OPICS counselor and the like. That's my take on it, anyway.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”