Georgetown 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
nickb285

Silver

Re: Georgetown 2016

Post by nickb285 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:54 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:08 pm

Congrats man - I still have two weeks. Womp Womp.

yips

New

Post by yips » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:58 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Bread for the City and Library of Congress here

Yips, could you comment on the difficulty of obtaining an EJF-funded position for 1L summer?
Sure! I'll address both the difficulty of getting a position (at all) and then getting EJF funding for it.

(1) Most 1Ls will do some type of public interest or government work during the summer. (Although a few classmates will snag 1L summer associate positions, those people are definitely in the minority.) Applying for positions is pretty straightforward, and OCS will look over your resume for you, etc. It isn't too hard to get something, though, because many legal organizations will not say no to an unpaid intern. Additionally, Georgetown is huge, and there will be upperclass students who have worked at or interviewed at the places you're looking, and they can help you out.

(2) Getting EJF funding is even easier. All you need is a qualifying job (the requirements are on the OPICS website, but it's basically any legal nonprofit and some types of government work), and you have to complete a certain number of EJF hours. I think last year it was three hours -- nothing onerous. That will involve making calls to local businesses to donate things to the spring auction, sending letters, staffing bake sales, etc. Then just complete the paperwork and you're good to go. Everyone at Georgetown who has qualifying employment will get EJF funding. This is different from some schools where you have to compete for limited funding. I will say that although you can technically get EJF money at any time -- like, say, if you get your job later in the spring -- it makes life easier for you if you can lock that down as early as possible. I think one of the forms requires your employer to certify that they have an attorney to supervise you, and it's just easier if you don't have to scramble to get signatures at the last moment when the semester is getting hectic.

By the way, both Bread for the City and the Library of Congress are awesome. Lucky you!

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:25 am

How do people generally dress for class at GULC? How about orientation? Are we suppose to suit up, go business casual, just not pajamas? I've been out of school for awhile so I'm not cued in to the appropriate student fashion.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:32 am

CourCour wrote:How do people generally dress for class at GULC? How about orientation? Are we suppose to suit up, go business casual, just not pajamas? I've been out of school for awhile so I'm not cued in to the appropriate student fashion.
I'll be in jeans and a t-shirt or polo (for orientation). "Go comfy, but not crazy."
Last edited by justonemoregame on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:42 am

I noticed that the only slot for "Vendor Fair" during Orientation is 12-5:30 pm on Wed/28th. Is this where we get awesome swag? Do we get goods from the Information Table, too?

yips

New

Post by yips » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:08 pm

CourCour wrote:How do people generally dress for class at GULC? How about orientation? Are we suppose to suit up, go business casual, just not pajamas? I've been out of school for awhile so I'm not cued in to the appropriate student fashion.
A suit is not necessary and you'll stand out. But don't overthink it -- aim for something between "I just stepped off my own private helicopter" and "I just got dressed in the bathroom at a gas station" but realize that no one will notice or care unless you're actually at one of those extremes. Wear what makes you feel confident.
justonemoregame wrote:I noticed that the only slot for "Vendor Fair" during Orientation is 12-5:30 pm on Wed/28th. Is this where we get awesome swag? Do we get goods from the Information Table, too?
That's where you will get the swag, yes. Some of it will be awesome, and some will be crap. You don't need to purchase any school supplies ever if you hit that fair right.

I think the Information Table is just that -- a place for info. They will tell you where things are and give you name tags. I don't recall goodies from them my year.

account1

New

Post by account1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:19 pm

yips wrote:
A suit is not necessary and you'll stand out. But don't overthink it -- aim for something between "I just stepped off my own private helicopter" and "I just got dressed in the bathroom at a gas station" but realize that no one will notice or care unless you're actually at one of those extremes. Wear what makes you feel confident.
justonemoregame wrote:I noticed that the only slot for "Vendor Fair" during Orientation is 12-5:30 pm on Wed/28th. Is this where we get awesome swag? Do we get goods from the Information Table, too?
That's where you will get the swag, yes. Some of it will be awesome, and some will be crap. You don't need to purchase any school supplies ever if you hit that fair right.

I think the Information Table is just that -- a place for info. They will tell you where things are and give you name tags. I don't recall goodies from them my year.
What exactly is the vendor fair? Do they sell stuff?

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Where do we put all these goods - do I need to bring a backpack? Would rather not lug bags around all day.

I asked this awhile back, but what's the locker situation look like? Do we have those?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:12 am

justonemoregame wrote:
I asked this awhile back, but what's the locker situation look like? Do we have those?
+1

yips

New

Post by yips » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:43 am

What exactly is the vendor fair? Do they sell stuff?
Various vendors, like local banks, printing shops, and Lexis representatives, set up tables and give you things like highlighters and stress balls. They don't actually sell anything. The vendor fair is not very exciting. Once you take a lap around the third floor and get like two dozen highlighters, you're good. It might be helpful for someone who just landed in DC, though.
justonemoregame wrote:Where do we put all these goods - do I need to bring a backpack? Would rather not lug bags around all day.

A backpack might be superfluous, but some kind of small bag would be handy for all of the paperwork you'll get.

You can get a locker on the first day. There will be stations set up on the first floor, and you just have to go fill out the form. How lockers work:
-Some lockers are reserved for people doing clinics and people doing journals
-Upperclass students have the option of renewing lockers from the previous year
-If you live in Gewirz, you either don't get a locker or you have lowest priority on lockers -- I forget which.
So the bottom line is that if you're an incoming first-year student who lives off campus, you get a locker but it will be small and perhaps inconveniently located. I haven't heard about them running out of lockers for people who want them. In fact, I had to switch my locker a few weeks into my first semester because of an injury that made it impossible for me to use my original one, and they had enough left at that point that I could choose what I wanted.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:25 am

How are those PIFP essays coming along? :D

Thanks Yips, very helpful

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:45 pm

justonemoregame wrote:How are those PIFP essays coming along? :D
Submitted at 1. That's like 4 hours to spare. Already working ahead.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:52 pm

CourCour wrote:
Nice! I submitted around then, too. Noticed a typo in my e-mail not long after. Boom. That's why they call it PRE-professional.

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:02 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
CourCour wrote:
Nice! I submitted around then, too. Noticed a typo in my e-mail not long after. Boom. That's why they call it PRE-professional.
Just let it go. I'm afraid to look back.

Anyone have a sense (or pure speculation) of the competitiveness of the program? I was accepted to something similar at UCLA. That program only accepted ~10% of applicants.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:09 pm

My pure speculation gave me the feel that this wasn't something quite that competitive - but perhaps with such large class sizes, the program may be limited with respect to resources. Not sure how that would play into it though.

boredtodeath

Silver

Post by boredtodeath » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:41 am

Anyone not have their textbooks yet? Should I buy them off of Amazon now, or just wait and get them at the bookstore during Orientation?

ETA: Signed up for the Capital Area Food Bank (only one left for my section) and the Kennedy Center tour.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:32 pm

boredtodeath wrote:Anyone not have their textbooks yet? Should I buy them off of Amazon now, or just wait and get them at the bookstore during Orientation?

ETA: Signed up for the Capital Area Food Bank (only one left for my section) and the Kennedy Center tour.
rising 2L here. there is no good reason to buy anything from the bookstore instead of off amazon, unless you are a forest person without a mailing address.

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:07 pm

boredtodeath wrote:Anyone not have their textbooks yet? Should I buy them off of Amazon now, or just wait and get them at the bookstore during Orientation?

I bought contracts book from Amazon a few weeks ago and intend to get the rest of the books there as well (still not sure who I have for other classes or the book isn't available yet). I bought my books from a campus bookstore first semester freshman year and never did it again unless I couldn't find the book on Amazon. And I'll see you at the Kennedy Center!

jone7007

New

Post by jone7007 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Does anyone know when we'll find out which specific class well be in? I still have 2 torts profs listed so cannont buy the book yet.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:06 pm

jone7007 wrote:Does anyone know when we'll find out which specific class well be in? I still have 2 torts profs listed so cannont buy the book yet.
Rumor is week of Aug 12. Blame Bfalcon if rumor isn't true :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

account1

New

Post by account1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 pm

FYIs

Some 1L teachers have posted 1st assignments
http://apps.law.georgetown.edu/reading-assignments/

Online GoCard (u can add more $$ online)
https://onlinecardoffice.georgetown.edu ... hp?cid=141

13/14 Handbook
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/campus-se ... /index.cfm

Aug. Whats Happening (includes RA & workstudy positions for 13/14 school yr)
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/students/ ... pening.cfm

Federal Loan Interest Rate Changes Expected

This week, the Congress passed and the President is expected to sign legislation that would change interest rates on new federal student loans.

For most loans in the 2013-2014 academic year, it is expected that this legislation would result in a reduction of interest rates to approximately 5.4% for graduate-student Stafford loans and 6.4% for Grad PLUS loans.

The legislation, which would be retroactive to July 1, 2013, would change the interest rates on new Stafford loans for graduate and professional students and new Graduate PLUS loans from 6.8% and 7.9%, respectively, to rates determined annually by recent 10-year Treasury bill yields plus 3.6 percentage points for graduate-student Stafford loans and 4.6 percentage points for Grad PLUS loans (capped at 9.5% and 10.5%, respectively). Resulting rates would be fixed for the life of the loan.

The Office of Financial Aid continues to monitor this important change and will post updates as warranted.

boredtodeath

Silver

Post by boredtodeath » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:42 pm

This is really annoying that we don't know what ConLaw prof we have. Want to buy these books already.

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:56 am

boredtodeath wrote:This is really annoying that we don't know what ConLaw prof we have. Want to buy these books already.
+1

Is there any reason why they couldn't have told us when they first split us into sections? I got the impression that after section 3 everything else was pretty random, why not just give us the section assignments and tell us what section we're in for conlaw and legal research?

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Roommate assignments wouldn't hurt either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”