Georgetown 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
justonemoregame

Silver

Re: Georgetown 2016

Post by justonemoregame » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:56 pm

You guys signed up for OrgSync? I think that is the free food corridor.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:04 pm

justonemoregame wrote:You guys signed up for OrgSync? I think that is the free food corridor.
Also: https://www.facebook.com/groups/435903719824667/

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Debating the idea of applying for PI Fellow by this Friday's deadline. I currently work for a non-profit, and will have a few years of low-level experience before LS, and it seems like this would be a nice additional boost when applying for gov/pi jobs later. I mean, I guess I would much rather have that on the resume than not if applying for these jobs because the interview could go so much smoother since you could illustrate your commitment this way. What's the drawback? Seems like comm. service hours would be easy to rack up, and the cluster of PI-related courses seem interesting anyway.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:14 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Debating the idea of applying for PI Fellow by this Friday's deadline. I currently work for a non-profit, and will have a few years of low-level experience before LS, and it seems like this would be a nice additional boost when applying for gov/pi jobs later. I mean, I guess I would much rather have that on the resume than not if applying for these jobs because the interview could go so much smoother since you could illustrate your commitment this way. What's the drawback? Seems like comm. service hours would be easy to rack up, and the cluster of PI-related courses seem interesting anyway.
I applied! The people I spoke with about it at ASW last year/my friend who is currently in the program had nothing but good things to say about it.

account1

New

Post by account1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:21 pm

Anybdy else recieve the email from BLSA re: the mentee program & the 1L Bootcamp? What are ur thoughts on participating/joining BLSA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:45 pm

danielr wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:
Lol...I do my best to avoid American pop culture. Add to the mix that it takes a little longer than usual to hit my circles here in Canadaland and you have yourself a genuine dinosaur. Other than Community. That said, I was insinuating a point about every country having their own wealthy 'princes' and 'princesses', titular or not...
At the risk of perpetuating what is probably an unwelcome and fairly silly argument on this thread, I will just simply say that your point doesn't insinuate what you think it does. There is a significant and crucial difference between celebrity or fame and royalty. Members of the monarchy are indeed famous and idolized by the media, but random celebrities in the United States are famous but not actual princes or princesses. I find an important political point to be made against having a genuine and powerful, or even just titular, monarchy. That's because I view royalty as more than just a glorified celebrity family, as you seemingly do.

This could be an interesting discussion in a different venue. Let's talk more in person when we are both at G'Town.
I completely agree with you re keeping the debate off TLS (although law students shouldn't be surprised by silly debates cropping up virtually everywhere). Always happy to have dialogue on this matter! We can discuss more in less than a month mate.
luxxe wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Debating the idea of applying for PI Fellow by this Friday's deadline. I currently work for a non-profit, and will have a few years of low-level experience before LS, and it seems like this would be a nice additional boost when applying for gov/pi jobs later. I mean, I guess I would much rather have that on the resume than not if applying for these jobs because the interview could go so much smoother since you could illustrate your commitment this way. What's the drawback? Seems like comm. service hours would be easy to rack up, and the cluster of PI-related courses seem interesting anyway.
I applied! The people I spoke with about it at ASW last year/my friend who is currently in the program had nothing but good things to say about it.
I'm also thinking about it, so far I'm not seeing too much in the way of a drawback! I'm likely going to push for biglaw, at least for the first few years after school, but my intention has always been to work within government.

ps Luxxe, I'm just about caught up on Community now! Watched the Law and Order Episode last night - pretty epic! (also watched the Pillowtown vs Blanketsburg episode, so I finally get all your references hahaha. I really really really want to try building a pillowfort now...I just need to find heaps of pillows and cushions!)

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 pm

account1 wrote:Anybdy else recieve the email from BLSA re: the mentee program & the 1L Bootcamp? What are ur thoughts on participating/joining BLSA?
At the risk as coming across as lazy (and obviously out to lunch, other than the fact that I actually logged into my gtown email account to check on this - received nada), what exactly is BLSA??

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Bfalcon wrote: ps Luxxe, I'm just about caught up on Community now! Watched the Law and Order Episode last night - pretty epic! (also watched the Pillowtown vs Blanketsburg episode, so I finally get all your references hahaha. I really really really want to try building a pillowfort now...I just need to find heaps of pillows and cushions!)
hahha I have spent weeks making references no one else understood. I think 90% of what I am packing is pillows and books so we are good to go on the fort-front. Moving in 5 days :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also - did everyone get an email from a peer advisor last week or is that just a section 3 thing?

account1

New

Post by account1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Bfalcon wrote:
account1 wrote:Anybdy else recieve the email from BLSA re: the mentee program & the 1L Bootcamp? What are ur thoughts on participating/joining BLSA?
At the risk as coming across as lazy (and obviously out to lunch, other than the fact that I actually logged into my gtown email account to check on this - received nada), what exactly is BLSA??

Black Law Students Assoc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm going to the bootcamp, I'm all for getting more help/advice and free food. My Aunt and Uncle were both in BLSA when they were in law school and they have nothing but good things to say about it and it sounds like a good resource...that much said I don't see myself running the chapter.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:38 am

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:01 am

nickb285 wrote: It's a sign of how neurotic all of this has made me that account1's first post made me super paranoid I'd missed some important orientation/registration information. "OH GOD THERE'S NOTHING IN MY EMAIL I'M GOING TO FAIL oh wait."
Ahahahaha...cringes in unity :P
account1 wrote: Black Law Students Assoc.
Oh. My bad...makes sense now!! Understanding the issues of race in the US will be one of the biggest cultural adjustments in moving from Canada to the US. Our histories definitely diverged at some point in time after early colonization!
luxxe wrote:
hahha I have spent weeks making references no one else understood. I think 90% of what I am packing is pillows and books so we are good to go on the fort-front. Moving in 5 days :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Booya!! I realized that I have a dearth of pillows...this just gives me an epic excuse to buy heaps! I also dearly want a body pillow!
ps, If I ever become a cop, I am totally going to say to someone I arrest "Todd Jacobson (or insert perp's name), you have the right to do whatever you want. Nothing you say or do can be used against you by anyone, but we'd really like it if you came with us. Please and thank you."
luxxe wrote: Also - did everyone get an email from a peer advisor last week or is that just a section 3 thing?
I got an email from my peer advisor - I believe everyone should receive an email by tomorrow at the latest!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 am

Damn, I just went shopping for a bunch of stuff recently and need to go back for pillows. Maybe rather than a down comforter, I could get about 30 pillows - thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:52 am

justonemoregame wrote:Damn, I just went shopping for a bunch of stuff recently and need to go back for pillows. Maybe rather than a down comforter, I could get about 30 pillows - thoughts?
Burrowing in 30 pillows sounds so much better than simply lying under a comforter.

I realized just now that I am going to be living somewhere with a real winter... like, snow... and temps below 40. lol the south.

account1

New

Post by account1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Psib337 wrote:
I'm going to the bootcamp, I'm all for getting more help/advice and free food. My Aunt and Uncle were both in BLSA when they were in law school and they have nothing but good things to say about it and it sounds like a good resource...that much said I don't see myself running the chapter.
I feel you....I may go to the bootcamp as well...unsure about the mentee thing...

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:31 pm

Has anyone else registered for service projects, faculty tours, and faculty talks? Some look great!

I chose Martha's Table for the service project (section 3-specific), the Juvenile Detention Facility Tour, and the talk with Prof. Edelman.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:35 pm

luxxe wrote:Has anyone else registered for service projects, faculty tours, and faculty talks? Some look great!

I chose Martha's Table for the service project, the Juvenile Detention Facility Tour, and the talk with Prof. Edelman.
Didn't know we could register, was today the first day?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:55 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
luxxe wrote:Has anyone else registered for service projects, faculty tours, and faculty talks? Some look great!

I chose Martha's Table for the service project, the Juvenile Detention Facility Tour, and the talk with Prof. Edelman.
Yeah! It opened at noon. I didn't even know we knew what was available until someone posted in the section 3 fb group. Clearly i don't read emails...

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boredtodeath

Silver

Post by boredtodeath » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:26 pm

luxxe wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:

Yeah! It opened at noon. I didn't even know we knew what was available until someone posted in the section 3 fb group. Clearly i don't read emails...
I wish someone could tell us which of these are the best ones/worth signing up for.

yips

New

Post by yips » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:45 pm

Hey there,

c/o 2014 here; maybe I can answer some questions.

-I don't know where the list of service projects is, but if you post them, I could probably tell you what's worth doing. Same for the faculty talks, etc.

-I think that all of the affinity group mentorship programs run the same way: you get matched up with an upperclassman, and it's really no big deal. This person will give you outlines, tell you stuff about professors, point you in the direction of the best bars, etc. Or you could choose never to talk with them. This is true of BLSA, APALSA, Outlaw, and a few others.

-Re: PI Fellows. Do it if you're interested. There are several requirements that are not onerous to meet over a three-year period. You'll almost certainly have enough pro bono hours without even trying that hard (especially if you do EJF-funded work your first summer), and the public interest course cluster is interesting and has enough mass appeal that you might wind up taking those classes anyway.

If I can answer anything else, just let me know! I'm glad you all are getting excited about Georgetown!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:54 pm

I signed up for the central food bank (section 4 options lack diversity) and the tour of the newseum! Also, planning on applying for the fellowship.

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:55 pm

I chose Martha's Table for the service project (section 3-specific), the Juvenile Detention Facility Tour, and the talk with Prof. Edelman.
Totally forgot about we could sign up today until I saw this!

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Doing the Civil War Tour and the Nutrition Food Lab as my Section 5 assignment.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:53 pm

Bread for the City and Library of Congress here

Yips, could you comment on the difficulty of obtaining an EJF-funded position for 1L summer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”