Georgetown 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
justonemoregame

Silver

Re: Georgetown 2016

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:13 am

Do we have any choice re: 1L fall classes, or is our sched. set in stone after the class is chopped into sections?

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Do we have any choice re: 1L fall classes, or is our sched. set in stone after the class is chopped into sections?
After you get put in your section, your classes are automatically set for fall. One of your classes (for my section it was Con Law) in addition to Legal Research and Writing will be in smaller sections; i.e., 1/3 of your section in each Con Law class and 1/4 of your section in each LRW class. But even that is assigned to you in advance. In spring you get an elective, but they're all at the same time, and they're all public law related (international law, regulatory state, administrative law, etc).

Curriculum B, btw doesn't get a choice of elective. Though honestly, about 80% of us hate our "chosen" elective anyway. So not getting to choose an elective isn't all that big of a deal in the long run...

dogsieik

New

Post by dogsieik » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Hola, I might be driving my arse from SoCal to DC in late August. If any Southern California monkeys are looking to lug themselves and their swag across the continent just like our pioneering ancestors once did (except in reverse and without dysentery), please contact me cuz (a) I would like to cut my costs and (b) I don't want to drive off a cliff by accident. I'll probably be driving a SUV so there may be room for several future debtors. My email is dogsieik@gmail.com.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:35 am

What is the credited Spring elective? Do the course options change from year-to-year? Any of them have a big pile of 2Ls?

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:53 am

Thank you for taking questions, Clarion

2016 homies: Have any of you had updates to your 'Student Requirements' in the financial aid section of My Access? If so, how long did this take after sending in tax docs / completing loan counseling?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:07 pm

justonemoregame wrote: 2016 homies: Have any of you had updates to your 'Student Requirements' in the financial aid section of My Access? If so, how long did this take after sending in tax docs / completing loan counseling?
I called the financial aid office on Tuesday about this because I sent mine in three weeks ago. They confirmed that they received them but said they are so inundated with documents for current students and entering students that they are not updating My Access at the moment. I asked what time frame to expect and she was exceedingly noncommittal and just kept telling me to not worry about it.

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:02 pm

justonemoregame wrote:What is the credited Spring elective? Do the course options change from year-to-year? Any of them have a big pile of 2Ls?
No problem! And they're all for 1Ls alone. That said, each of the courses is one that you can take 2L or 3L year, so if you want to take more than one of them, you'll be able to eventually; but the specific sections that they put us in only have 1Ls. The courses this year were International Law I, Administrative Law, Regulatory State, and Congress and the Administrative State. Next year you guys get those 4 as well as International Criminal Law to choose from.

N.B. Int'l Law I is the elective I'm in, and that class is like a survey to public international law. So you learn about what a treaty is, and about the UN, and the ICJ, Law of the Sea, etc. If you have more questions about any of that stuff you can look here:

http://law.georgetown.edu/academics/academic-programs/jd-program/full-time-program/first-year.cfm,

or, if there's still more you wanna know, feel free to ask.

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:49 am

Here's who is currently committed to Georgetown:
Georgetown University
  • • xjustyoursmile
    • justonemoregame Image
You guys need to step up your game. Get ITT, we know you're out there.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 am

Moving to DC three months from tomorrow... so ready to be there!!! Grad school finals are mostly giving me a lot of time to pretend-house hunt :lol:.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:19 am

Haha, high five on that. The office has been super slow lately so I've been doing the same. Padmapper is pretty awesome!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi Class of 2016!

I'm graduating in May and my roommate and I need someone to take over our apartment in August. It's a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment across the street from school in a luxury building (with 24-hour doorman, gym, and pool). It's a corner apartment, both bedrooms have walk-in closets, and the washer/dryer is in the unit. The lease currently ends in January (at which time you can renew with rent control!) and we're both moving out in May, but we will sublet it for the summer and it'll be ready for move-in mid-August. The apartment is very large and comfortable. If you're interested, please let me know!

Kim

BNEGOP

New

Post by BNEGOP » Wed May 01, 2013 4:49 pm

love_the_process wrote:Hey everyone! Thought I would introduce myself - new to TLS and 95% sure I'll be starting GULC in the fall. Does anyone else live in the DC area? It might be nice to meet up for happy hour and get to know some of you.

I'm in DC, have been the last 2.5 years. I'd love to meet up before school starts! My office is downtown and I live in Old Town, so either of those regions, Chinatown, or Arlington are easy for me to get to.

Clitophon

New

Post by Clitophon » Wed May 01, 2013 5:19 pm

If a couple of you are looking to go in on a house together, and you are interested in living in Old Town Alexandria, take a look at this place: --LinkRemoved--

It is about a 45 minute train ride to the law school (take the yellow to Gallery Place, then grab the red to Union Station). The home is a 6 block walk from the Braddock Metro, and 4 blocks from everything on King Street. It is a fun and laid back neighborhood.

I have nothing to do with the rental of this place, but I have an interest in who moves in because we share the backyard (and thus the pool). My wife and I live in the home that is next door, and both places are owned by the same landlord. In order to put the pool in he combined the back yards, so there is an awesome shared space between the homes. I get a lot of work done sitting by the pool, which is great.

I am beginning Georgetown Law this fall part-time, so you would be sharing the backyard and pool with a fellow law student. Shoot me a message if you have any specific questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Submitted my deposit today!

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Thu May 02, 2013 10:32 am

CourCour wrote:Submitted my deposit today!
+1 accepted the scholly and submitted the deposit!

love_the_process

New

Post by love_the_process » Thu May 02, 2013 12:17 pm

BNEGOP wrote:
love_the_process wrote:Hey everyone! Thought I would introduce myself - new to TLS and 95% sure I'll be starting GULC in the fall. Does anyone else live in the DC area? It might be nice to meet up for happy hour and get to know some of you.

I'm in DC, have been the last 2.5 years. I'd love to meet up before school starts! My office is downtown and I live in Old Town, so either of those regions, Chinatown, or Arlington are easy for me to get to.
Sweet! My office is downtown too. I'll PM you and we can set something up.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri May 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Current students, vastly important question: is massage therapy available at the fitness center or through health services?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Mon May 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Not a current student, but I visited the Fitness Center during ASW and I've also gone through it online quite a bit. Doesn't seem that they do any MT stuff (and I didn't see any places where they have that set up). I'm quite confident in saying that they don't offer it through the Fitness Center at all.

On another note, to a current student: anyone know why the fitness center doesn't have any bumper plates?? From what I could tell there are only steel plates for lifting. The fitness center is gorgeous, but if there are no places to do olympic lifting, it would be a damn shame.

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Tue May 07, 2013 3:28 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Current students, vastly important question: is massage therapy available at the fitness center or through health services?

I swear to you I read somewhere about space on the top floor for massage therapy but I can't find it. It was a description of the facilities. You should just contact the manager of the center.

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:13 pm

I'm submitting my deposit tomorrow, just got accepted yesterday, so excited for next year!

New

Post by 987654321 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:24 pm

1L. Taking questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Manhattanman

Bronze

Post by Manhattanman » Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Do you know what the average amount of students per journal is?

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Wed May 08, 2013 8:06 am

Manhattanman wrote:Do you know what the average amount of students per journal is?
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/academics ... rt2013.pdf has stats on staff size, etc...

New

Post by 987654321 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 am

Also, this:

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/campus-li ... /index.cfm

Each team has anywhere between 16 - 20 people/per year (approximately). You compete in the Spring semester (1L) to make it to the teams. Each team has its own competition, you can participate in all but you can choose only one team. You have another shot at Moot court (not sure about Trial Advocacy) during the Fall Semester of your 2L year.

New

Post by 987654321 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:39 am

justonemoregame wrote:Current students, vastly important question: is massage therapy available at the fitness center or through health services?
There are places around campus where you can get a legit sports massage (not the chair style elbow massage at the mall). There is one place right across Safeway, which is a 10-15 minute walk from campus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”