Northwestern Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
dstars823

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:29 pm

anyone off the wait list have any luck with scholly?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:27 pm

dstars823 wrote:called the financial aid office in chicago about 10 minutes ago official info should be coming out around the 2nd week of july due to all of their wait list movement

WTF?

This is bad, bad news. That's way too late and just last Friday they said they should release it this week. THAT much wl movement? Ugh.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
dstars823 wrote:called the financial aid office in chicago about 10 minutes ago official info should be coming out around the 2nd week of july due to all of their wait list movement

WTF?

This is bad, bad news. That's way too late and just last Friday they said they should release it this week. THAT much wl movement? Ugh.

Yeah, that seems really really late...

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Micdiddy wrote:

WTF?

yeah originally the guy told me next week then he came back after speaking with o ne of the admins and said it would definitely be a couple weeks into july, guess theyre really slow on this one

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Micdiddy wrote:

WTF?

Why is this bad news? Are you talking about the WL movement being a bad thing for the school or is the scholarship info coming in right now that important?

pammie0415

Postby pammie0415 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I live in Onterie - it's a pretty decent place. The front desk is always open and they are really really nice (most of them will get to know you and remember you/your name/your apt). It is cheaper than McClurg but has fewer amenities (McClurg has tennis courts, for example). One other benefit we have over NU is that we can pick up our packages 24/7, whereas their packages office closes over the weekend or something. I like McClurg's room layouts better though, our kitchens are TINY.

We have a gym that is now free to residents and closed to the public, so it's always empty. HOWEVER, there's no squat rack, only a smith machine, cardio machines, dumbbells, a curling bar, and some weight machines. The pool is 15Y long, which is tiny, but there's a little hot tub too.

The laundry room is huge and I've never had an issue finding a good spot. There's a big table where you can fold your clothes, too. It's on the same floor as the gym so if you want, you can G(T)L at the same time. :P

Cats are allowed but dogs aren't. The walls are pretty thin (I can hear my neighbor marathoning The Office at 2 AM and my other neighbor singing Beyonce after work). Location is great though, the closest out of all the complexes and right across the street from a Walgreens, Starbucks, 7/11, and grocery store. Pretty much 80% of the whole complex is Med/Law/Grad students from NU.

Thank you so much for this info!!! :D

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:06 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:

WTF?

Why is this bad news? Are you talking about the WL movement being a bad thing for the school or is the scholarship info coming in right now that important?

The latter.

Magnalum

Postby Magnalum » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Magnalum wrote:Speaking of WL movement, they have been taking a LOT of super splitters (sub 3.0, 170+): 12 of the 15 on LSN have already been accepted. Also, there were only 141 people in the class of 2016 facebook group. I'm sure not everyone is in yet, but other schools seem to have a lot more people in their facebook groups relative their expected class sizes. Thoughts?

Not sure, but I also know there are still plenty of people in the group that aren't attending.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:48 pm

pammie0415 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I live in Onterie - it's a pretty decent place. The front desk is always open and they are really really nice (most of them will get to know you and remember you/your name/your apt). It is cheaper than McClurg but has fewer amenities (McClurg has tennis courts, for example). One other benefit we have over NU is that we can pick up our packages 24/7, whereas their packages office closes over the weekend or something. I like McClurg's room layouts better though, our kitchens are TINY.

We have a gym that is now free to residents and closed to the public, so it's always empty. HOWEVER, there's no squat rack, only a smith machine, cardio machines, dumbbells, a curling bar, and some weight machines. The pool is 15Y long, which is tiny, but there's a little hot tub too.

The laundry room is huge and I've never had an issue finding a good spot. There's a big table where you can fold your clothes, too. It's on the same floor as the gym so if you want, you can G(T)L at the same time. :P

Cats are allowed but dogs aren't. The walls are pretty thin (I can hear my neighbor marathoning The Office at 2 AM and my other neighbor singing Beyonce after work). Location is great though, the closest out of all the complexes and right across the street from a Walgreens, Starbucks, 7/11, and grocery store. Pretty much 80% of the whole complex is Med/Law/Grad students from NU.

Thank you so much for this info!!! :D

I'll try to write something similar for McClurg. I've been fairly happy with it, although I am moving before next year.

Pros (mostly):
The best thing about McClurg is that it's so big, in our building we have a 7/11, a bank, a dry cleaners, and a dentist. These things are nice to have because in the winter if you run to 7/11, etc. in shorts without having to outside. McClurg also has a pretty cool rooftop patio with grills, a community garden and a little stage. The patio's huge and a lot of things go on there, although the downside is that it's only on the 3rd floor (everybody lives in 2 towers that overlook the roof/patio) so you don't get a great view. The rooms all have at least one wall made of windows (not floor to ceiling, but from about 3 feet off the ground to the ceiling) which is pretty cool. Pricing is pretty comparable to Onterie, depending on which room type you choose (or is available) it might be a little pricier, but you get a free gym. The laundry rooms (each tower has one) and computer room ("Cyber Cafe") were just redone so they are pretty nice, there are lots of places to sit in both the laundry rooms and the computer room, and they have big tvs in all three too. Like crumps mentioned, there are indoor tennis courts. Also, insider tip: McClurg's new lobby doors are automatic, so if you are having a bunch of friends over they don't have to stop and check in (they're still supposed to, but they don't have to). The walls are pretty thick, I've never heard my neighbors except that you occasionally hear someone opening or closing the blinds because I guess the sound travels along the windows easier, but you never hear conversations or TV or anything.

Cons:
There aren't thermostats, I don't know if Onterie has them, but all we have is a dial to control air flow, the actual temperature of the air coming out is the same for the whole building. McClurg is also in the process of renovating all of the units' kitchens. The new kitchens look nice, but rooms with renovated kitchens cost more than the regular rooms, and likely by the time you guys move in they will almost all be renovated. The mail room is also only open until I think 7 on weekdays, 5 on Saturdays, and it's closed all day Sunday. The gym isn't the greatest, there aren't a lot of machines and there are hardly any free weights. There are tons of treadmills and ellipticals, and a few bikes. The gym has some classes but I've never went to any.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Kikero your post reminded me - Onterie has a roof deck/study room that is really nice for studying during finals if you can't stay in your room but you don't want to go to school. Downside: closes at 10. The sun deck has a GORGEOUS VIEW (its the 60th floor) but no barbeque area. You can suntan during the summer though.

As for thermostats - we do have those. Heat + A/C can be controlled from within the unit, which is nice bc during the winter the hallways can be suffocatingly hot.

And Kikero JSYK Onterie's gym is free now as well.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:And Kikero JSYK Onterie's gym is free now as well.

Oh cool. I'm honestly not sure how the prices match up for McClurg and Onterie anyway, tbh. I know I pay a little more than a lot of people than Onterie, but I opted for a bigger room than the standard studio.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Kikero wrote:

Oh cool. I'm honestly not sure how the prices match up for McClurg and Onterie anyway, tbh. I know I pay a little more than a lot of people than Onterie, but I opted for a bigger room than the standard studio.

When I was looking I compared two similar rooms - mine was $1300 at Onterie, the one at McClurg was $1500-1600. It really depends on when you're looking though, as available units are constantly opening up and then being rented, so the market changes.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:24 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Kikero wrote:

When I was looking I compared two similar rooms - mine was $1300 at Onterie, the one at McClurg was $1500-1600. It really depends on when you're looking though, as available units are constantly opening up and then being rented, so the market changes.

Yeah, that seems really high for a McClurg studio. Mine is $1400 for 600 sq feet.

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:08 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Kikero wrote:

Wow. Does Onterie have cheaper prices than what is displayed on their website...because their site says cheapest is $1368.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 am

CalAlumni wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Kikero wrote:

Wow. Does Onterie have cheaper prices than what is displayed on their website...because their site says cheapest is $1368.

Prices went up this year - if I were to stay in Onterie I would now be paying $1370-ish. My apt is a convertible though so you might be able to get a studio for cheaper.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:22 am

Magnalum wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:

WTF?

Speaking of WL movement, they have been taking a LOT of super splitters (sub 3.0, 170+): 12 of the 15 on LSN have already been accepted. Also, there were only 141 people in the class of 2016 facebook group. I'm sure not everyone is in yet, but other schools seem to have a lot more people in their facebook groups relative their expected class sizes. Thoughts?

i doubt everyone that is attending will be in the group but i think they are trying hard to keep a 170 median, like very hard

Magnalum

Postby Magnalum » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 pm

Less competition with equal amounts of spots helps our cause for jobs i guess

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:15 pm

CalAlumni wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Kikero wrote:

The 2br we found was in Onterie for $2215, but they did mention that studios started at around $1400. We also looked at a 2br in McClurg and they said the cheapest one they had was $2658...wayy too much for me. Just thought I'd pass that info along in case anyone is looking for a 2br.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Magnalum wrote:
dstars823 wrote:i doubt everyone that is attending will be in the group but i think they are trying hard to keep a 170 median, like very hard

Maybe we will see greater than a 10% reduction in class size. I'm not worried about it, because I trust the admissions committee to do their jobs, but it is interesting to see the fallout after such drastic declines in applicant numbers.

This would be awesome actually, I'd love to have a smaller class.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Magnalum wrote:
dstars823 wrote:i doubt everyone that is attending will be in the group but i think they are trying hard to keep a 170 median, like very hard

Maybe we will see greater than a 10% reduction in class size. I'm not worried about it, because I trust the admissions committee to do their jobs, but it is interesting to see the fallout after such drastic declines in applicant numbers.

This would be awesome actually, I'd love to have a smaller class.

Yes, yes, yes this is good. Fewer students = more alcohol to go around at school events. Am I right?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:48 pm

I have a 1BR at almost the top floor of McClurg and it's around 1750 for the coming year. My kitchen has not been renovated though (which I am fine with).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:21 am

I have a high-ish floor studio (the smallest floorplan) in McClurg on the lake side and just renewed my lease for $1365. Kitchen also not remodeled. Aside from the thermostat thing, it's been pretty decent.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:16 am

Anyone else worried they're gonna make Kanye's kid our new mascot?

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”