Northwestern Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
hmlee

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby hmlee » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:46 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Your wildcard looks just like a UG wildcard. It doesn't say anything law school-specific on it, just "student." But if they're scanning cards, they'd be able to tell (if that's something they're checking for), since the cards have different permissions. I don't think a UG card can get into the law library, for instance.

For what it's worth, they do scan wildcards at football and basketball games. Then, if you come up as a grad student, they ask you for your ticket.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:32 am

No love from latham for my cracker ass :(

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Cobretti wrote:No love from latham for my cracker ass :(

same. almost a relief in a way. i was going to feel compelled to go if i'd gotten the opportunity, but I'm sort of glad i have those days free now.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:08 pm

feralinfant wrote:

same. almost a relief in a way. i was going to feel compelled to go if i'd gotten the opportunity, but I'm sort of glad i have those days free now.

TITCR. Enjoy your summer, go out as much as possible, go to the park, etc. Law school will start soon enough.

Magnalum

Postby Magnalum » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Magnalum wrote:Checking in, so glad it's finally over! No more wait lists or scholarship negotiations. Excited to meet everyone this fall!

Grats, and welcome

franklyscarlet wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
TITCR. Enjoy your summer, go out as much as possible, go to the park, etc. Law school will start soon enough.
On the one hand it is kind of nice. My dog is always a nervous wreck for the first couple weeks when we move, so not leaving him alone for long periods of time the first week is probably a plus. Free supplements would have been nice though.

pammie0415

Postby pammie0415 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Anyone managed to tour McClurg Court, Onterie Center or Lake Shore Plaza yet? If you have, what do you think of the 3 places? And do you think it's worth the high rent?

Thanks in advance!

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Before I commit to my apartment, just wanted to check with you guys. $2215/month for a 2br/2bath right next to the campus (<5 min walk) is a really good deal, right? It's everything we were looking for and I thought the price was good.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:40 pm

simplycatalina wrote:Before I commit to my apartment, just wanted to check with you guys. $2215/month for a 2br/2bath right next to the campus (<5 min walk) is a really good deal, right? It's everything we were looking for and I thought the price was good.

Yes, that is a good deal. It's not like an "OMG that's so cheap, what's wrong with this place???" deal, but it is very good.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:36 am

simplycatalina wrote:Before I commit to my apartment, just wanted to check with you guys. $2215/month for a 2br/2bath right next to the campus (<5 min walk) is a really good deal, right? It's everything we were looking for and I thought the price was good.

If you were getting a 1br I'd say you were getting fleeced, but for a 2br that's a good deal. 2br places aren't the easiest to find in the city since they tend to go pretty fast.

For those of you still looking for apartments, by the way, I'd suggest you all check out a website called PadMapper.

http://www.padmapper.com

It's a nice way to look for apartments around the city across multiple websites at once. Also, I get the lure of Streeterville, but you could do so much better in terms of neighborhood character. You will end up hating Streeterville after your 1L year.

MDeeGee

Postby MDeeGee » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi - just wondering if anyone's heard from financial aid yet? The last email I got in March said that an email with instructions would follow in June. Guess I'm getting nervous now that it's the 19th already and haven't heard anything...

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:22 pm

MDeeGee wrote:Hi - just wondering if anyone's heard from financial aid yet? The last email I got in March said that an email with instructions would follow in June. Guess I'm getting nervous now that it's the 19th already and haven't heard anything...

Nothing yet, last year they sent out loan info last week too so I'm not sure what's up.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:53 pm

Cobretti wrote:
MDeeGee wrote:Hi - just wondering if anyone's heard from financial aid yet? The last email I got in March said that an email with instructions would follow in June. Guess I'm getting nervous now that it's the 19th already and haven't heard anything...

Nothing yet, last year they sent out loan info last week too so I'm not sure what's up.

yeah i have gotten nothing either, might call at the end of the week if still nothing

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:16 pm

dstars823 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

yeah i have gotten nothing either, might call at the end of the week if still nothing

If you do call them, let us know what they say!

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:58 pm

I called them Friday and they said I should get the final notice today :(
So yeah...

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

If you do call them, let us know what they say!

Yeah, good idea...let us know what happens.

Eagerly waiting.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:40 pm

They just disbursed our summer loans yesterday, so maybe they're behind.

sidgey

Postby sidgey » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:36 am

zoo be zoo be zoooo!

I paid $400/month through law school at NU but lived on the UG campus n took the free shuttle. I'm a bit of a penny pincher though. I tried living near campus for a $1000 1 BR for a semester but found I liked the extra $600/mo and moved back to Evanston. Streeterville = dead.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:43 am

pammie0415 wrote:Anyone managed to tour McClurg Court, Onterie Center or Lake Shore Plaza yet? If you have, what do you think of the 3 places? And do you think it's worth the high rent?

Thanks in advance!

Dont' do Lake Shore Plaza. I've lived here for a year (lease ends in two weeks and I'm leaving) and it's a pretty mediocre building. Walls are thin so if you have loud neighbors to the sides or above you (I was blessed with both) then you can hear everything. The elevators are always in disrepair so that it takes like 5+ mins just to get from your floor out the door. You'll be on rides down where it stops 7 or 8 times. The other amenities aren't great either. The only good thing i can say about the place is the doormen are all nice.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:53 am

sidgey wrote:

zoo be zoo be zoooo!

I paid $400/month through law school at NU but lived on the UG campus n took the free shuttle. I'm a bit of a penny pincher though. I tried living near campus for a $1000 1 BR for a semester but found I liked the extra $600/mo and moved back to Evanston. Streeterville = dead.

Is this a viable option?? :shock:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:59 am

bananasplit19 wrote:
sidgey wrote:

zoo be zoo be zoooo!

Is this a viable option?? :shock:

I wouldn't do it. The shuttle doesn't run on weekends or after like 9pm.

pammie0415

Postby pammie0415 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:31 am

Flips88 wrote:Dont' do Lake Shore Plaza. I've lived here for a year (lease ends in two weeks and I'm leaving) and it's a pretty mediocre building. Walls are thin so if you have loud neighbors to the sides or above you (I was blessed with both) then you can hear everything. The elevators are always in disrepair so that it takes like 5+ mins just to get from your floor out the door. You'll be on rides down where it stops 7 or 8 times. The other amenities aren't great either. The only good thing i can say about the place is the doormen are all nice.

Thanks! I'll look into other places then. If anyone knows anything about McClurg or Onterie, I'd love to know what you think about these 2 places.

Thanks! :D

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:11 am

called the financial aid office in chicago about 10 minutes ago official info should be coming out around the 2nd week of july due to all of their wait list movement

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:09 am

dstars823 wrote:called the financial aid office in chicago about 10 minutes ago official info should be coming out around the 2nd week of july due to all of their wait list movement

Thanks a lot for the update! Much appreciated! :D

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:26 pm

pammie0415 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Dont' do Lake Shore Plaza. I've lived here for a year (lease ends in two weeks and I'm leaving) and it's a pretty mediocre building. Walls are thin so if you have loud neighbors to the sides or above you (I was blessed with both) then you can hear everything. The elevators are always in disrepair so that it takes like 5+ mins just to get from your floor out the door. You'll be on rides down where it stops 7 or 8 times. The other amenities aren't great either. The only good thing i can say about the place is the doormen are all nice.

Thanks! I'll look into other places then. If anyone knows anything about McClurg or Onterie, I'd love to know what you think about these 2 places.

Thanks! :D

I live in Onterie - it's a pretty decent place. The front desk is always open and they are really really nice (most of them will get to know you and remember you/your name/your apt). It is cheaper than McClurg but has fewer amenities (McClurg has tennis courts, for example). One other benefit we have over NU is that we can pick up our packages 24/7, whereas their packages office closes over the weekend or something. I like McClurg's room layouts better though, our kitchens are TINY.

We have a gym that is now free to residents and closed to the public, so it's always empty. HOWEVER, there's no squat rack, only a smith machine, cardio machines, dumbbells, a curling bar, and some weight machines. The pool is 15Y long, which is tiny, but there's a little hot tub too.

The laundry room is huge and I've never had an issue finding a good spot. There's a big table where you can fold your clothes, too. It's on the same floor as the gym so if you want, you can G(T)L at the same time. :P

Cats are allowed but dogs aren't. The walls are pretty thin (I can hear my neighbor marathoning The Office at 2 AM and my other neighbor singing Beyonce after work). Location is great though, the closest out of all the complexes and right across the street from a Walgreens, Starbucks, 7/11, and grocery store. Pretty much 80% of the whole complex is Med/Law/Grad students from NU.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”