Northwestern Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
KremeCheez

Re: Northwestern Class of 2016

Postby KremeCheez » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Anyone know for sure what "Loan Fees" cover in the CoA calculation?
Just Origination Fees?
The $1,966.00 seems like an odd figure to me...
Assuming $20,500.00 in Stafford @ 1% origination = $205.00
For GradPlus @ 4% origination, the leftover $1,761.00 covers $44,025.00 worth of GradPlus loans.
So...the budgeted "loan fees" would cover $64,525.00 worth of origination fees.
Since the budget is based on a "typical" student budget (or some similar verbiage), maybe this is the "typical" amount of loans taken out?
I'm hoping that I just found a thousand bucks to save...

Side note:
I'm finally starting to freak out about this move...
I'm in the awkward position of still not knowing if the GF is coming to Chicago right away (she won't come until she secures a job...in a very industry-specific line of work... Working on two separate scenarios/plans is is becoming tough...especially for moving, renting out my townhouse (if she comes, or having her cover it if she stays), and finding a place in Chicago (without knowing if I'll be living alone at a low budget or with her at a higher budget)...

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Fabulist wrote:I'd talk to the nu financial aid office. If it's a legit school related expense, they should be able to write you loan for it.

I asked them initially if I could get loans early for moving and they said no, loans begin first day of classes or June 1st or something. I didn't press the issue, but I suppose I could try...

best of luck with this, but it's probably a no-go; I don't remember hearing of anyone getting early loans for moving expenses. I put all my expenses on an airlines mile credit card, paid it off as soon as my loans came in, and flew free for a good long while. Not a great solution but better than getting nothing out of it.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 pm

So, I basically found the perfect place to move into. Right by campus, allows cats and dogs, w/d in unit (wife's request)...BUT it's available Aug. 1 and I am not moving 'till the 17th. Is it worth paying the full month to get such a perfect place? In the long run the extra $850 compared to 150k in loans doesn't seem too bad...Also, should I offer more than the asking price? The guy helping me at student space said rentals around here move fast and the extra $ will help soothe the owner's reservation about my 80lb dog. I know the student space guy might have a vested interest in me offering more, but he may have a point also. And again, if I offer $20 more a month that's only $720 more over 3 years...
Thoughts?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Micdiddy wrote:So, I basically found the perfect place to move into. Right by campus, allows cats and dogs, w/d in unit (wife's request)...BUT it's available Aug. 1 and I am not moving 'till the 17th. Is it worth paying the full month to get such a perfect place? In the long run the extra $850 compared to 150k in loans doesn't seem too bad...Also, should I offer more than the asking price? The guy helping me at student space said rentals around here move fast and the extra $ will help soothe the owner's reservation about my 80lb dog. I know the student space guy might have a vested interest in me offering more, but he may have a point also. And again, if I offer $20 more a month that's only $720 more over 3 years...
Thoughts?

Ask the landlord if he's willing to push your move-in date back a week or two. A lot of the complexes around the school will postpone move-in dates for you for 1-2 weeks. IDK what complex you're with, but it's worth a try. The worst case scenario would just be them rejecting your request.

I wouldn't offer more than the asking price though, I've never heard anyone do something like that. Maybe others can give their 2c as well, but that seems totally unnecessary. You're already paying a security deposit to have a dog, if they're reeally worried about the dog I'd offer to put down a little more for the security deposit as a one time fee, but even that seems a bit unnecessary to me.

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:20 am

Micdiddy wrote:So, I basically found the perfect place to move into. Right by campus, allows cats and dogs, w/d in unit (wife's request)...BUT it's available Aug. 1 and I am not moving 'till the 17th. Is it worth paying the full month to get such a perfect place? In the long run the extra $850 compared to 150k in loans doesn't seem too bad...Also, should I offer more than the asking price? The guy helping me at student space said rentals around here move fast and the extra $ will help soothe the owner's reservation about my 80lb dog. I know the student space guy might have a vested interest in me offering more, but he may have a point also. And again, if I offer $20 more a month that's only $720 more over 3 years...
Thoughts?

17 days of rent to get the "perfect place" is nothing. I'd jump on it. I wouldn't offer more than the asked rent though. In fact I've had pretty good luck in the past negotiating rent lower.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:15 am

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things I really just need to get this place. Doubt I could get rent lower especially because I am going through a 3rd party (I have no idea who owner is), and that third party may have an interest in rent staying the same. I'll tell him to book the place tomorrow at the asking price.
Thanks for input guys.

M458

Postby M458 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 am

Micdiddy wrote:Yeah, in the grand scheme of things I really just need to get this place. Doubt I could get rent lower especially because I am going through a 3rd party (I have no idea who owner is), and that third party may have an interest in rent staying the same. I'll tell him to book the place tomorrow at the asking price.
Thanks for input guys.

Yeah, don't offer more than asking price. The $850 you'd be spending for the 2 weeks you wouldn't even be there basically mean you're already paying an extra $70 each month for the place.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:02 am

Is it worth paying the full month to get such a perfect place?

Given your specific requirements, yes.

Also, should I offer more than the asking price? The guy helping me at student space said rentals around here move fast and the extra $ will help soothe the owner's reservation about my 80lb dog. I know the student space guy might have a vested interest in me offering more, but he may have a point also. And again, if I offer $20 more a month that's only $720 more over 3 years...

Negative. If they accept pets in the listing, they accept pets. (You could always bump the refundable cleaning deposit which of course, is non-commissionable.)

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Brethren I renounced the Bruins tonight while they were up 2-0. I do not regret it.

Who else is down to become a rabid Chicago sports fan? Alright Hawks. Double OT. Here we go.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:09 am

feralinfant wrote:Brethren I renounced the Bruins tonight while they were up 2-0. I do not regret it.

Who else is down to become a rabid Chicago sports fan? Alright Hawks. Double OT. Here we go.

I'm in for the bears and the bulls for sure. not sure I can commit to caring about hockey though

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:11 am

I can get in on the Bulls love, but Giants/Niners for life <3

Hockey I don't really know. Caught between Sharks and Hawks.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:I can get in on the Bulls love, but Giants/Niners for life <3

If I was from norcal I don't think I could give up the niners either. My LA teams abandoned me when I was a kid though! (This decision is still realistically 90% because of the superfans though)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:24 am

Cobretti wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I can get in on the Bulls love, but Giants/Niners for life <3

If I was from norcal I don't think I could give up the niners either. My LA teams abandoned me when I was a kid though! (This decision is still realistically 90% because of the superfans though)

Yeah, I feel like having spent a good 4-6 years in LA I should also be a Lakers fan, but lolnah.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:20 am

Cobretti wrote:
feralinfant wrote:Brethren I renounced the Bruins tonight while they were up 2-0. I do not regret it.

I'm in for the bears and the bulls for sure. not sure I can commit to caring about hockey though

well 2 for 3.5 (cubs and white sox count for a half) isn't bad. I think I'm all in though. Also hockey is pretty rad, if stressful to watch.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm already a lifelong Bears fan. So that one's easy.
It took the Dubs 20 some odd years to wrangle my NBA allegiance away from the Bulls...so we'll see how that pans out.
Sox? No way/no how. Oaktown baby. I bleed Green and Gold.
Cubs? I can root for the lovable losers...in memory of my grandpa who died having never seen a winner...Plus, Wrigley fucking rules. Only stadium that you can watch two last place teams duke it out on a Wednesday afternoon in mid-August in front of a sold-out enthusiastic crowd. And I swear Wrigley has the best looking lady fans in the nation...
Hawks? Bleh...I dunno...I wobble between the Sharks and not giving a shit.
We counting the Purple Wildcats in this mix? Don't think I'll be swinging that one...GO BLUE.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:16 pm

KremeCheez wrote:GO BLUE.

Disgusting.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 pm

being from north carolina and having no REAL pro sports teams, the bobcats and panthers arent really anything to be proud of and the canes are pretty awful, i think itll be pretty easy to adopt the chicago teams. though maybe not the cubs... just cant stand the cubs

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Fitz51 wrote:

Disgusting.

That was my last ditch effort to be re-invited to Thanksgiving dinner...

Bloomsie

Postby Bloomsie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Fitz51 wrote:

Disgusting.

+1

The Tide holds a dear place in my heart, but luckily they rarely play Northwestern, so I think I can double-up.

I've tried really hard to be a Capitals fan, but its just not working out. I'm an Ovechkin apologist, but otherwise I will probably be adopting the 'hawks. Not going to brag on facebook if they win this one, though, too bandwaggony.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:58 pm

WHO ARE WE? THE WILDCATS!
WHO ARE WE GOING TO BEAT? THE WILDCATS!

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:04 pm

I mean where NCAA is concerned the Skers are the be all and end all in my opinion. Happy to root for the Wildcats against the rest of the big ten i guess.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:13 pm

Micdiddy wrote:WHO ARE WE? THE WILDCATS!
WHO ARE WE GOING TO BEAT? THE WILDCATS!

[img]homersimpsongif[/img]

i fear this will be the gist of my flailing attempts at 1L.

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:23 pm

My undergrad didn't even have a football team and there really wasn't much of a sports culture so I'm totally becoming a WIldcats homer. I'm hoping Chris Collins can bring some of that Duke winning to NU basketball.

KremeCheez

Postby KremeCheez » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:01 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:Will we get the same discounts (or free tix) as the undergrads? I'd at least go to games when UofM is in town...

Nope. No discount at all. Since you are a grad student, they allow you to purchase grad season tickets for $130. (which actually might be worth it this year just for the Michigan game. And Ohio State.)

So...since we circled back around to this...I decided to double check for myself...

http://www.nusports.com/tickets/gen-info-tix.html

Men's Basketball
"All graduate (full and part-time), part-time students, and spouses of students (graduate and undergraduate) may purchase tickets for a deeply discounted rate!"

http://www.nusports.com/tickets/young-alumni-season-tickets.html

Football
"Students that are currently enrolled in a graduate studies program at Northwestern have the opportunity to purchase season football tickets for only $134 per seat. Graduate students that select this season ticket option receive all the normal season ticket holder benefits."

No single game discounted tickets are available. :(

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:16 am

just by tix from all the free market enthusiasts that pass themselves off as football fans.

--LinkRemoved--

lol this dude's butthurt made the rounds among skers fans last year.

ETA: seriously though it probably can't cost that much to cop a student ticket or something from some poor undergraduate, right?

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”